[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: “Now is the time”  (Read 16945 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: “Now is the time”
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2012, 12:56:09 PM »
Love this summary on Dayton.

Dayton was #28 in the country in attendance last year, which is pretty impressive.

Also, Creighton was #6. Behind only UK, Cuse, L'Ville, UNC, and Wisc.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2012, 01:02:03 PM »
Anyone have Father P's number?  This should be a done deal before spring.  I'm mostly serious, this is the way out of all this mess and all the parties involved do/should want it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2012, 01:47:32 PM »
Canada on Strike is one of the best episodes of SP. Such a perfect mocking of the writers strike.

I'm just glad that Rocky isn't trying to get some of that internet money from Scoop, friend.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2012, 02:02:39 PM »
I'm just glad that Rocky isn't trying to get some of that internet money from Scoop, friend.

I'm not your friend, buddy ;D
Relax. Respect the Process.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »

We're setting you adrift idiot. Good luck with the Danish

JD

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
So with all of these good ideas, is there a way for us/someone to present this to the boss at Marquette?  ?-(
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2012, 02:37:29 PM »

Don't.....call...... me..... Buddy..... guy.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2012, 02:38:35 PM »

Don't.....call...... me..... Buddy..... guy.

I'M NOT YOUR GUY, FRIEND.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2012, 02:38:52 PM »
So with all of these good ideas, is there a way for us/someone to present this to the boss at Marquette?  ?-(

I have an inkling there is more to creating a conference than just slapping some schools together on an internet message board...

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2012, 02:39:03 PM »
I think they are pretty good ideas from MU's perspective. I wouldn't assume that the other bball only schools in the BE feel the same way though.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »
I have an inkling there is more to creating a conference than just slapping some schools together on an internet message board...

Nah, there's no way that can be right.  I'm pretty sure we've covered all of the bases here far better than the people paid to do such things.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
Scoff all you want but the history of business is lousy with examples of good ideas missed because no one stepped back to look at it or outsides make suggestions and/or tweaks that made a difference.  I would hope the powers that be have thought of these ideas but don't assume it.

This is no different than any other business deal, and just need to make sure all the interested parties are getting more value in the future than they are currently getting and it's a done deal.

I just hope the BoT isn't involved in any of this otherwise we're screwed....that is the poster child for group think and in the box thinking.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2012, 03:15:05 PM »
...please MWC, grab Boise and SDSU back.

Big East could be looking West for next team

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/21190809/big-east-could-be-looking-west-for-next-team

The Big East is looking to add one more football member after its poaching of Tulane and East Carolina from Conference USA this week. I'm told they aren't revisiting the C-USA for that team at this point.

They could be looking West in efforts to pair Boise State and San Diego State with a friend and stabilze their coast-to-coast blueprint. Who's the Best of the Rest at this point? Could be talking about Fresno State, which is sort of a West Coast version of East Carolina. This would weaken the Mountain West, which has been working to lure Boise State and SDSU back into the fold.

The Big East would love BYU, which remains independent. The Big East doesn't know where BYU stands after talks recently stalled in light of Rutgers' defection.

The Big East and Mountain West are in interesting spots because of their television negotiations. Big East commissioner Mike Aresco is working toward a long-term media rights deal, which must be difficult considering all the movement. And the Mountain West has been in talks to extend its deal with CBS. If the MWC could somehow get stronger in the next few weeks, that would bode well for negotiations.

Also, check out colleague Dennis Dodd's blog on Idaho, New Mexico State and Georgia Southern in line for the recently poached Sun Belt. I'm told Sun Belt membership wants to move quickly but also wants to see what else C-USA does first.

There's buzz about C-USA adding Western Kentucky and possibly New Mexico State. Either way, NMSU is well-positioned to escape independence. Great time for the Aggies.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2012, 03:18:38 PM »
Yep, there are at least 100 iterations to chose from these boards as to which scouts should be in or out - what's the problem?  Go forth and make it happen....

Nah, there's no way that can be right.  I'm pretty sure we've covered all of the bases here far better than the people paid to do such things.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »
...please MWC, grab Boise and SDSU back.

Big East could be looking West for next team

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/21190809/big-east-could-be-looking-west-for-next-team

The Big East is looking to add one more football member after its poaching of Tulane and East Carolina from Conference USA this week. I'm told they aren't revisiting the C-USA for that team at this point.

They could be looking West in efforts to pair Boise State and San Diego State with a friend and stabilze their coast-to-coast blueprint. Who's the Best of the Rest at this point? Could be talking about Fresno State, which is sort of a West Coast version of East Carolina. This would weaken the Mountain West, which has been working to lure Boise State and SDSU back into the fold.

The Big East would love BYU, which remains independent. The Big East doesn't know where BYU stands after talks recently stalled in light of Rutgers' defection.

The Big East and Mountain West are in interesting spots because of their television negotiations. Big East commissioner Mike Aresco is working toward a long-term media rights deal, which must be difficult considering all the movement. And the Mountain West has been in talks to extend its deal with CBS. If the MWC could somehow get stronger in the next few weeks, that would bode well for negotiations.

Also, check out colleague Dennis Dodd's blog on Idaho, New Mexico State and Georgia Southern in line for the recently poached Sun Belt. I'm told Sun Belt membership wants to move quickly but also wants to see what else C-USA does first.

There's buzz about C-USA adding Western Kentucky and possibly New Mexico State. Either way, NMSU is well-positioned to escape independence. Great time for the Aggies.

The BE, from the standpoint of a football conference, reminds of the couple that lived in the old, beat-up house in the movie, Book of Eli. They're nearly dead yet stubbornly resilient and simply wont die. In fact, it's a miracle they have endured for as long as they have. Someone simply needs to end their misery.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2012, 07:56:20 PM »
This is all moot.  Have we all forgotten that the world is ending in 3 weeks?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »
If we really tried to go west and grab Gonzaga. I know, I know...but Santa Francisco, Sant Clara, Pepperdine, and Loyola Marymount have great overall athletic departments.

West
Georgetown
Villanova
Richmond/VCU
St. John's
Seton Hall
Providence

Central
Xavier
Butler
St Louis
Marquette
DePaul
Creighton/Dayton

West
Gonzaga
St. Mary's/San Francisco
Wichita St
Loyola Marymount
Pepperdine
Santa Clara/Creighton
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2012, 11:16:57 AM »
There's no need and little to be gained from a Catholic-identified or strictly urban school league.  Most importantly, it could preclude additions of non-Catholic schools down the road (e.g., Butler, VCU, or hell even UMass).  The Catholic schools all maintain their own identity just fine, there's no need to band a bunch together because the basketball would suffer for it.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »
There's no need and little to be gained from a Catholic-identified or strictly urban school league.  Most importantly, it could preclude additions of non-Catholic schools down the road (e.g., Butler, VCU, or hell even UMass).  The Catholic schools all maintain their own identity just fine, there's no need to band a bunch together because the basketball would suffer for it.

I really don't think people are pushing this. Basketball schools just are mainly located in urban areas - if you can call downtown Omaha urban that is.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2012, 09:14:50 PM »

Reminds me of something I heard in Dr. McMahon's Irish history class a ways back. "Northern Ireland isn't a battle between Catholics and Protestants. It's a battle between Republicans who happen to be Catholic, and Unionists who happen to be Protestant."

Butler can and should be sought out. Temple, Memphis or Cincy too if they can park their football somewhere else (but in today's environment, that may not be realistic). What's being proposed isn't a Catholic-only conference. It's a high-level basketball-first conference, many of whose members are coincidentally Catholic.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

feedback