[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why arent we talking about the game this week?  (Read 8842 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Why arent we talking about the game this week?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 11:08:02 AM »
MU will beat UW this year.  End of story.  The Florida game was a turd.  Florida may be best team in country.  First real road game of the year.

I'm going bullish on Vander in this game...and Gardner (unless as has been pointed out UW gets flop calls going its way.)

Believe our length and athleticism will bother UW tremendously...

I'm also very curious to watch the PT distribution between Junior and Derrick Wilson.  The slower pace of UW actually helps Junior - get nervous with Junior against very athletic PG's and teams.  Wilson seems to handle that better.  Will also be watching if they keep calling the touch fouls on Derrick Wilson..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »
I hear ya, but I can't blame MU for it. Still makes me nervous, unsettled and frankly, pissed off though.

Totally understand it's not MU's fault. But unfortunately, that's the reality. It's hard to get excited when 95% of the discussions are about money and conference realignment. Sucks the fun right out of college sports.

DSEEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:59 AM »
Not sure what part of Lockett's game leads any of you to believe he is a good mid range player who will fill it up against Wisconsin. Was it the 2-7 performance against Florida. Or the 3-10 against UMBC. Has gotten most of his points this year on bail out fouls where he is taking bad shots.

Could be a glue guy later in the season, but has been a serious disappointment.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »
The Florida blowout was a blessing in disguise. Buzz will have worked these guys to the bone by Saturday and they will be ready to go. Vander gets very very excited about this one I remember 2 years ago he was going wild before tip off. He didn't play so hot in that one but this year Vander has been good. It's Vander's time to show Madison what they missed out on.

Key to the game is simple. Will we finally have a game where both Jamil and Vander make shots...We have had both play well in games as individuals but they have yet to play well on the same day. If they both show up we will win, and I don't think it will be that close.

X factor: Will Jake Thomas shoot the goddamn ball when he is wide open and not pass up shots he can make. So far he's 44% from 3. Gotta take more of those.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
Not sure what part of Lockett's game leads any of you to believe he is a good mid range player who will fill it up against Wisconsin. Was it the 2-7 performance against Florida. Or the 3-10 against UMBC. Has gotten most of his points this year on bail out fouls where he is taking bad shots.

Well, there were those 87 games played at Arizona State ....
But yeah, seven early season games at a new school probably matter more in evaluating him.

DSEEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »
I think a lot of people forget that most of what we have seen from Jake is against low major teams. You have a lot more time to get shots off against these teams. While Jake may "look" open, I don't think his release is quick  enough to get many good looks off.

ANyways, Van needs to keep being a STUD and Jamil needs to start being athletic and we will be fine.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »
The Florida blowout was a blessing in disguise. Buzz will have worked these guys to the bone by Saturday and they will be ready to go. Vander gets very very excited about this one I remember 2 years ago he was going wild before tip off. He didn't play so hot in that one but this year Vander has been good. It's Vander's time to show Madison what they missed out on.

Vander showed that in Madison last year.

I think a lot of people forget that most of what we have seen from Jake is against low major teams. You have a lot more time to get shots off against these teams. While Jake may "look" open, I don't think his release is quick  enough to get many good looks off.

Exactly what I have been saying.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »

I sat 10 feet from the court in the three games in Maui and he was able to hit mid-range shots.  Saw a few games for ASU where he hit mid-range shots.  He can hit them.

Driving all the way to the hoop against Wisconsin often gets you a crowd or a charge.  Especially since I think they will sag on us.  Lockett's and Wilson's mid-range games will be at a premium in this one.

DSEEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »
I sat 10 feet from the court in the three games in Maui and he was able to hit mid-range shots.  Saw a few games for ASU where he hit mid-range shots.  He can hit them.

Driving all the way to the hoop against Wisconsin often gets you a crowd or a charge.  Especially since I think they will sag on us.  Lockett's and Wilson's mid-range games will be at a premium in this one.

Fair enough. A bit of an overreaction on my part. I know they both have the capability to knock down shots I just wish they had some sort of consistency. I haven't seen much at all.

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this but another concern I have going forward is spacing on the floor. It seems Davante has struggled because he has been catching the ball way too far off the block. I'm sure this will be addressed this week.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
Well, there were those 87 games played at Arizona State ....
But yeah, seven early season games at a new school probably matter more in evaluating him.

Quit using facts and sample size.

Start REACTING!!!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »
Don't know if anyone else mentioned this but another concern I have going forward is spacing on the floor. It seems Davante has struggled because he has been catching the ball way too far off the block. I'm sure this will be addressed this week.

That's partially by design. It gives him space to work, and frees up some room for cutters.

LON

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 12:09:39 PM »
Fair enough. A bit of an overreaction on my part. I know they both have the capability to knock down shots I just wish they had some sort of consistency. I haven't seen much at all.

I recall him struggling against Florida, but UW doesn't have a Patric Young that can push him that far from the hoop.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »
I think a lot of people forget that most of what we have seen from Jake is against low major teams. You have a lot more time to get shots off against these teams. While Jake may "look" open, I don't think his release is quick  enough to get many good looks off.

His release might not be quick enough to create shots, but certainly it's good enough to take an open shot. Does Vander have a quick release? How about Jamil? Probably not. If you shoot when you are wide open, you don't have to be quick.

Now, how can Jake get open? Well, there's the rub. He's has to depend on other teammates drawing defenders and kicking it to him. Not impossible, but MU needs to do a better job with spacing and understanding how to make the correct pass/extra pass.

Also, when he gets a look, he has to fire. I assume the coaches are encouraging him to shoot... but I guess we'll see.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 12:33:20 PM »
I see this going a lot like two years ago. UW sags, MU can't get to the hoop. UW stretches the floor with their shooters, MU can't get a defensive rebound.

UW by 7.
So it'll be 17-10?

I'll be legitimately shocked if the Badgers break 50 points in this game. God, they are so boring to watch.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »
So it'll be 17-10?

I'll be legitimately shocked if the Badgers break 50 points in this game. God, they are so boring to watch.

UW will score more than 50.  They got 54 against one of the top team defenses in the country.  (Virginia.)  Marquette gives up points.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 01:07:06 PM »
Using the transitive property, we are in trouble.

They beat SE Louisiana by 40 points, we beat them by 11

They lost to Florida by 18 points, we lost to the Gators by 33

Of course the transitive property in college hoops is not a good idea.  How will our home court be this year...will Badger fans invade?  In the ratings, we're considerably behind them in Ken Pom, Sagarin, and RPI.

I don't know what to think, but I suspect a tight game. 

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 01:36:04 PM »
Not making any predictions, but I did read the Bucky thread over on their board (sorry, no link).  I still find it interesting that they are forcing the MU fans into believing this is our Superbowl.  As proof, one poster even went so afr to ask, why else would we take he last two weeks off to prepare?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
Not our Super Bowl, but it will be our first win against a top-50 team this year.  And it will shut up all the UW-hyphen-MU-Bashers for another few months.  And it will be a really fun atmosphere at the BC on a Saturday evening.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »

UW will score more than 50.  They got 54 against one of the top team defenses in the country.  (Virginia.)  Marquette gives up points.
Was that the same game where it was something like 39-36 with less than 8 to go in the second half?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 02:05:27 PM »
Was that the same game where it was something like 39-36 with less than 8 to go in the second half?

Nope.  It was 46-40 at the 8:00 minute mark. 

And the 54 point mark was their lowest of the year.  The second lowest was 74 to a ranked Creighton team.   This team scores more than previous UW teams did.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 02:45:48 PM »
Nope.  It was 46-40 at the 8:00 minute mark. 

And the 54 point mark was their lowest of the year.  The second lowest was 74 to a ranked Creighton team.   This team scores more than previous UW teams did.

Exactly why they give up more this year as well.  Not slowing it down quite as much...

Im guessing that might change against MU though.  If not, MU should win.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
After the Florida game, who wants to. Don't know why we never went after Showalter and Dekker.
May not be all flash but they are cash and hustle and smarts.

I'll patiently wait until next year for Dawson, McKay, Burton, Wilson, and Johnson.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 10:58:15 PM »
I think we put a spanking on Bucky. Early season but a game we should win and need to win.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2012, 08:11:36 AM »
I think we come back strong in this one. I think the Florida game just sort of snuck up on our guys in the middle of the week three days after the previous game and a long distance away; don't think they were mentally prepared.

This game is different. They've had a week to refocus and prep for UW-Madison and I'm sure that loss still stings. I'd hope Buzz has been all over Jamil in practice and I think he responds in this one. Vander is finally the type of player who will be able to really stick it to Becky's slow traditionals. Gardner will get his and put their bigs in foul trouble. If Junior doesn't turn the ball over and Lockett plays within himself, we win.

MU 68; Becky 55
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14