collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 512492 times)

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
Re: CBS.com SMU pursuing Buzz
« Reply #350 on: March 25, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »
Indiana was about as much blue blood at the time of Crean hire as Crean was to being John Wooden. Crean ran to Indiana after begging for the job. He bolted MU more than Indiana courted him.

IU had to make the right kind of hire to clean up their mess.  Crean rebuilt a MU program that had much less issues than IU had, but IU had more upside.  I have zero doubts that Crean pursued IU, that would be his nature and a good agent would put those feelers out.  IU isn't going to just hire anyone, either, especially someone that is trending down.  That is where you and I disagree.

IU went to a Final Four in the 2000's.  When Sampson left, they were a NCAA team every year.  They were a blueblood program when Crean was hired, the difference was that they were a horrible mess that had to be cleaned up.  
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

LON

• All American
« Reply #351 on: March 25, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
What is your deal with erections? 

Just yours, bro.  I can hear your pants tightening with some of your posts, others I have agreed with.  Tone down your rhetoric a bit and people may actually address your points and not attack you.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2012, 04:39:42 PM »
What is your deal with erections? 

he's only got one nut.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #353 on: March 25, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »
Generally agree with your viewpoints Pakuni - yet to say no other university would have given Buzz a shot is a stretch - he was known as a hot, young rising, coach.  Crean knew he could recruit, and that's what Crean needed, after the fall off in his recruiting in 2003, 2004, and then largely weak classes after the Big 3.  Administration got to see Buzz's work ethic for 1 year, how the players responded to him, etc., and they could see they had a star in the making already at the university.  Buzz earned the opportunity to become MU's head coach and hasn't disappointed.

Right.   ::)   A coach quits one year off his first job at New Orleans and programs were going to swoop in and hire him to be their next head coach?  Buzz was in the right place at the right time, that is why there was universal shock when Buzz was hired.  He has turned out great minus some of the off the court stuff, but to suggest he was in waiting for the next head coaching gig somewhere ignores what was going on.  If Crean hadn't left for IU, where is Buzz right now?  Certainly not the head coach of a Big East team. Timing was everything.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

LON

• All American
« Reply #354 on: March 25, 2012, 04:41:20 PM »
he's only got one nut.

Also, not nearly enough dick jokes in this thread.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #355 on: March 25, 2012, 04:41:30 PM »
Just yours, bro.  I can hear your pants tightening with some of your posts, others I have agreed with.  Tone down your rhetoric a bit and people may actually address your points and not attack you.

What rhetoric?

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #356 on: March 25, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »
he's only got one nut.

I am not Chicos.  I am not Lance Armstrong either. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #357 on: March 25, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »
I don't think anyone is denying it.  They are just not talking/posting about it while sporting an erection.

However, this thread has been an enjoyable read for my lazy Sunday though, I think some of us should probably take a few days off. 

+1

Was thinking the same thing.....you would think we were in the final four with all these posts, plus the thread Ners just started on LW

This whole thread boils down to we have a great coach, who will always be a target for other schools.  He would be stupid to not listen.  Also, if he has some heartburn with his new boss, simply listening to other school's offers is a great reminder to LW of what he might be messing up.  I will give LW enough credit to assume he knows what he has.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #358 on: March 25, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »

Also, not nearly enough dick jokes in this thread.

Dick may be the one thing standing between Buzz and the SMU job.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #359 on: March 25, 2012, 04:44:06 PM »
Buzz got the one and  only job the could get the year MU hired him in my opinion. TC and KOmwere hot commodities, Uncle Buzz won the lottery that day. Fortunately he shared the winning ticket by delivering the goods.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #360 on: March 25, 2012, 04:45:52 PM »
Someone already seemed to answer the question I was going to ask.  Is it just common courtesy when another school asks to speak with a coach you say yes regardless?

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #361 on: March 25, 2012, 04:50:18 PM »
I think Buzz may have been a very lucky recipient of interest from SMU (who in all rights under normal circumstances should have known to not even asked for permission) - it allows him to use the situation to regain some power / ground with the new Administration...

Where's there is smoke, I always believe there is fire.

If Buzz isn't happy, then he either:

A.) Leaves.
B.) Uses the interest from SMU to reiterate to Pilarz and Williams who is most important at 770 N. 12th Street.

Hoping for B.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #362 on: March 25, 2012, 04:54:58 PM »
I think what most here are failing to realize when wanting to point the finger at Buzz, is this may not be Buzz's choice. Take from that what you will.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #363 on: March 25, 2012, 05:01:40 PM »
I think what most here are failing to realize when wanting to point the finger at Buzz, is this may not be Buzz's choice. Take from that what you will.

You're alluding to a lot of stuff in this thread.

If I'm reading you correctly, you have intimate knowledge of the Marquette athletics department and highly placed alums, and you believe that Marquette views itself as a mid-major athletic school.

Therefore, they are not willing to financially compete with top schools and/or are choosing not to keep Buzz Williams employed.

Is this accurate? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and/or provide some details.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #364 on: March 25, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »

If that is true....then the off court incidents must be way, way worse and have much further reaching implications than what has been in the view of the general public....or the AD and new prez are complete incompetents (which I doubt).  

Conflicts do happen....Frank Martin from Kansas State is so pissed at his AD for suspending a player in their tournament game against Syracuse that he is rumored to be going to s. carolina.    Athletic Directors do tend to like to hire their own coaches...

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #365 on: March 25, 2012, 05:05:15 PM »
Hmmmmmm interesting turn of events it seems. Sounds now like Seth Greenberg's name has surfaced for SMU according to their boards. Did Buzz already say "no thanks"??

at least they're realistic.

quote from the ponyfans board:
Agreed. The fact that we're even being mentioned as possible destinations for the HCs at Marquette and Va. Tech is pretty astounding, considering how badly we've sucked for so long.

PonyFanz

• Walk-On
« Reply #366 on: March 25, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:11:48 PM by PonyFanz »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #367 on: March 25, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »
You're alluding to a lot of stuff in this thread.

If I'm reading you correctly, you have intimate knowledge of the Marquette athletics department and highly placed alums, and you believe that Marquette views itself as a mid-major athletic school.

Therefore, they are not willing to financially compete with top schools and/or are choosing not to keep Buzz Williams employed.

Is this accurate? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and/or provide some details.

I talked to someone today(an alum), that usually has good info. He told me that the new admin is not particularly pleased with Buzz and how he does things, specifically how he relates to his players(no idea what that meant and didn't ask). They were going to give Buzz the rest of the year, but after that....It was also told to me, that LW and FR. Pilarsz, do not think that MU can be elite in BB, that Sweet 16 is as far as they can ever go, so why pay Elite type wages to a Coach, when you can pay lesser and get the same results as they are getting now(that's THEIR view on it). Take it FWIW.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #368 on: March 25, 2012, 05:15:06 PM »
Bingo guru....alll factual and sad.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #369 on: March 25, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »

I talked to someone today(an alum), that usually has good info. He told me that the new admin is not particularly pleased with Buzz and how he does things, specifically how he relates to his players(no idea what that meant and didn't ask). They were going to give Buzz the rest of the year, but after that....It was also told to me, that LW and FR. Pilarsz, do not think that MU can be elite in BB, that Sweet 16 is as far as they can ever go, so why pay Elite type wages to a Coach, when you can pay lesser and get the same results as they are getting now(that's THEIR view on it). Take it FWIW.

If this is even close to true, the resulting debacle will rival the move to rid the University of the Warrior nickname. 

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #370 on: March 25, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »
are you Goose's source?

This not good...  if true, then they don't need a large fanbase either, starting with me...

chapman

• All American
« Reply #371 on: March 25, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »

They can't possibly be that stupid.  If they think they can simply reallocate Dick Strong's money (and all the other donors' money) as they see fit they would be kidding themselves.  That well would dry up very fast.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #372 on: March 25, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »
Might as well move back into a conference w/Evansville and Loyola. That kind of minor league thinking isn't worthy of Big East inclusion.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #373 on: March 25, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »
If you don't pay a coach 2.6million and have average ball budget you do not need Strong's money.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #374 on: March 25, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »

My estimate of what that is worth: a handful of poop. An administration lowering sights for their university. What a crock. I hate the offseason.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing