collapse

* Recent Posts

2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 01:06:27 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 10:10:15 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Lennys Tap
[June 20, 2024, 08:26:59 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Warriors4ever
[June 20, 2024, 07:45:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 05:24:06 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[June 20, 2024, 02:56:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 518446 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: CBS.com SMU pursuing Buzz
« Reply #300 on: March 25, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »

Right...they could fall off the map with the wrong hire.  However, when you have a solid foundation, you can get right back up with the right hire.  We aren't SLU.

But going to quickly become that if Buzz leaves. The players will bolt, the recruits will leave, and it will be back to mid major status. Just like some desire it to be. Pathetic.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #301 on: March 25, 2012, 03:45:51 PM »
So Larry Williams, who knows abolutely nothing about basketball, is going to help Buzz Williams "grow as a coach?" Great. Turn him into another Digger Phelps.

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #302 on: March 25, 2012, 03:47:32 PM »
I think this whole story is making something out of relatively nothing.

So SMU asked for permission. Great, happens with every coaching search.

So MU granted said permission. Pretty regular occurrence too - it's hard to attract future coaches if word gets out that you won't let them explore future opportunities.

And lo and behold, some SMU fan sites are reporting what may or may not be part of the package.

ho-hum. So what you're telling me is it's late March. yawn.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #303 on: March 25, 2012, 03:50:10 PM »
NCAA...anyone asking for permission to talk to Bo Ryan or Mike Brey or other top coaches? We have to be in position that people know better than ask permission. Your head is in the sand if you think this is non issue.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #304 on: March 25, 2012, 03:50:46 PM »
Buzz could have said he didn't want to talk w/SMU...but he didn't. Sounds like he's reciprocating their interest.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #305 on: March 25, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »
I think this whole story is making something out of relatively nothing.

So SMU asked for permission. Great, happens with every coaching search.

So MU granted said permission. Pretty regular occurrence too - it's hard to attract future coaches if word gets out that you won't let them explore future opportunities.

And lo and behold, some SMU fan sites are reporting what may or may not be part of the package.

ho-hum. So what you're telling me is it's late March. yawn.

Granted permission, but Buzz is talking to them. That's the troubling part. Don't think he has talked to anyone before.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #306 on: March 25, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »
Pakini...if you or anyone else think the JS comments are what caused the hard feelings you are crazy. I have said on here for two months that Buzz was called on the carpet in private and he felt unjustly. The suspensions were either directive from school or Buzz making a point to rub his unhappiness into admin's face. Would add the comments from LW were foolish and did not help things.

I don't think those comments caused hard feelings. That's my point.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #307 on: March 25, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
But going to quickly become that if Buzz leaves. The players will bolt, the recruits will leave, and it will be back to mid major status. Just like some desire it to be. Pathetic.

Just like when Crean left and MU hired some unknown assistant, Tyshawn Taylor asked out of his NLI, etc. etc. etc.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #308 on: March 25, 2012, 03:54:28 PM »
It's exceptionally unlikely that Buzz Williams is where is today if he were so fragile that those comments would deeply offend him, especially when those comments pretty much parrot everything Buzz said about the dance. Sheesh, the guy practically went on a national radio tour to apologize for the dance.

As for wanting him back, those comments aren't illustrative of anything without knowing the context in which thhey were made. If interviewer asks: "Do you want Buzz Williams back?" how else would you expect LW to answer?

Really, if Buzz would flee to a third-tier program like SMU because he's so hurt by those comments, it says far more about him than it does Larry Williams.

Disagree....to be called out by a "boss" of 59 days, in the local newspaper...when you have busted your a$$ for 4 years to keep the basketball program at a Top 15/20 level -and are coveted by schools like OU, Arkansas, Texas A&M and virtually any other school - is an absolute slap in the face.  Buzz is a "feeling" type of guy..wears his emotions on his sleeve.  Someone basically saying you "tie your tie too tight and are going to explode or irrevocably offend someone," is the height of stupidity and insulting.

And newsflash...if Buzz goes to SMU - they will be a Top 10 program nationally in 5 years.  Guaranteed.  And perhaps he can do it in an environment devoid of some of the idiocy that can permeate some in the MU administration and community...as in Sultan who seems to think you can just bring any coach in here and we'll be Sweet 16 caliber.  Mike Deane anyone??  MU is who it is in hoops only and solely based on the caliber of its head coach - been blessed to have Al, Tom Crean and Buzz.  Why run off Buzz with stupid remarks and potentially make a bad hire like Dukiet, Deane, Keno Davis, etc?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #309 on: March 25, 2012, 03:57:32 PM »

Buzz has not "put us on the map."  He didn't take us to our last final four.  He wasn't around when we got invited to the BE.  MU basketball was around before Buzz, it will be around after Buzz.
Yeah. Right. We can replace him no problem. In fact, that would be the smart play. Yeah. Right.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #310 on: March 25, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »
Right on Ners. Buzz has put us on the map. He apologizing over and over again for the dance was crazy. He had a blast and put us under a spotlight by having fun. it is the PC crowd that freaks when someone is different. Al freaked me out and Buzz is freaking them out. On national scale Buzx has become a star and our AD and President want to throw wet blanket over him. I say stoke the fire and enjoy the ride.

Buzz did not put us on the map.  That is crazy talk.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Boone

• All American
« Reply #311 on: March 25, 2012, 03:58:10 PM »
Cottingham had the wisdom to hire from inside and retain Buzz. I have little faith in the empty suit's ability to hire another Buzz.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #312 on: March 25, 2012, 03:59:02 PM »
"Being here as long as I'm wanted" is open to interpretation. Assume Buzz was instructed to tighten up his guys. That can be construed as I'm no longer wanted.
I repeat, remember neither Pilarz nor Larry had a hand in Buzz' hiring.

So it sounds like maybe some in the administration felt squirmy to use another term that has been thrown around here? 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #313 on: March 25, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »
And perhaps he can do it in an environment devoid of some of the idiocy that can permeate some in the MU administration and community...as in Sultan who seems to think you can just bring any coach in here and we'll be Sweet 16 caliber.  Mike Deane anyone??  

I didn't say "any" coach, but the coach before Deane, and the two coaches after Deane all lead MU to the Sweet 16.

Yeah. Right. We can replace him no problem. In fact, that would be the smart play. Yeah. Right.

Jesus, can you people *read*???  I didn't say "no problem" and I certainly didn't say it would be a "smart play."  I said that we *CAN* replace him.

Bunch of chicken littles....  

Goose

• All American
« Reply #314 on: March 25, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »
Buzx is handcuffed here and that is only reason why he could leave. While I believe our program is on verge of elite I do think we are on dangerously thin ice. I respectfully disagree with anyone who thinks we keep our program on fast track if Buzz leaves. It would be PR disaster if he fled to SMU. Any good cosh would say what the hell is going on there for that to happen.

turk17

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #315 on: March 25, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »
Two things:

1.) If anyone thinks that the MU administration believes that the MU-fan base would be satisfied with a mid-major caliber team YOU ARE DELUSIONAL.  No one in the MU administration believes that, not even for a second.  Having a successful MBB program is a gigantic priority and the investment in that alone should be evidence enough for anyone who doubts that.  Once again, this talk that the MU administration believes that we could "get away" with having an average program is DELUSIONAL.  

2.) The comments of Larry Williams were ridiculous, in my opinion.  Whether or not they have added any fuel to the fire, the idea that he wants to develop Buzz as a coach is like Jerry Reinsdorf saying he was excited to develop Phil Jackson.  It was a very self-promoting statement (though I don't think it would be as scrutinized if we weren't having the current discussion).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #316 on: March 25, 2012, 04:03:42 PM »
Cottingham had the wisdom to hire from inside and retain Buzz. I have little faith in the empty suit's ability to hire another Buzz.

What's awesome, of course, is that these were the same things said about that "idiot lawyer" Cottingham four years ago when he conducted a flawed search and had to settle for hiring from within.
Now he's a man of wisdom.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #317 on: March 25, 2012, 04:04:10 PM »
Two questions:

1) Other then public comments, what is the basis for the large portion of people claiming LW dislikes BW and wouldn't mind him leaving? Rumors, innuendo, backchannel talk, legit insider information, ouija board, et al.?

2) Why is it that no SMU fan has commented in this thread after the first few pages? Certainly they'd continue to enjoy this unnatural carnal knowledgeface pity session and not stop posting.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #318 on: March 25, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »
Buzz has been very unhappy for several months and that has been my concern all along. I do believe that the brass at MU think that being SLU would be good enough for its fans. They saw the bad press last year, the Penn State mess, change in our conference and got scared. They do not think they need a $2.6 million coach and especially one they believe is a loose cannon.
I fear the .1% that Buzz just tells them see you later. If he leaves to crap job it is 100% on the shoulders of the adminstration. I have been harping on this for two months because I think the school thinks its supporters are all suckers. I said a month ago I hope I am wrong...but if he even listens to crap jobs it shows serious trouble.

Are you for real?  We have the #2 basketball budget in the country. We pay our coach over $2 million per year.  We committed to the Big East.  We built the Al McGuire Center.  To suggest we are not committed and merely want to be SLU is exaggeration.  

The administration has to protect the school and it's image.  That is a fine line when it comes to athletics.  If they feel that we have been in the news too much because of bad behavior of members of the team, that is their right as leaders of the university to put the screws down.  We are a university, not just a basketball program.  For all the good of Marquette hoops the last few years, there has been plenty of embarrassment also which I'm sure some in the administration are not too happy about.

You can have one without the other.  MU has had other moments of greatness without the off the court headlines and other schools are able to do it as well.  Buzz just needs to clamp down a little harder.  Win at all costs is not acceptable at MU nor should it be. Buzz will stay, he'll have to be a little smarter with some of his selections, that is all.  It can be done.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #319 on: March 25, 2012, 04:07:31 PM »
Are you for real?  We have the #2 basketball budget in the country. We pay our coach over $2 million per year.  We committed to the Big East.  We built the Al McGuire Center.  To suggest we are not committed and merely want to be SLU is exaggeration.

How much of the basketball program is financed from "outside interests" and I'm referring to boosters and Nike/Converse?  I think it's an important thing to talk about as those are "variable items" depending on the success of the program and the direction it goes and I'd add season ticket sales into that equation.

I've mentioned Wake Forest as a program where there was a change and in that case, the AD fired a reasonably successful coach in Dino Gaudio.  How's that gone?  5,000 less per game in average attendance and a bottom feeder in the ACC.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:12:33 PM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Boone

• All American
« Reply #320 on: March 25, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »
A lot of people, myself included, were very happy at the time with the Buzz hire. Coaches like Buzz don't grow on trees. Unfortunately, we're on the verge of learning that the hard way.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #321 on: March 25, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »

The administration has to protect the school and it's image.  That is a fine line when it comes to athletics.  If they feel that we have been in the news too much because of bad behavior of members of the team, that is their right as leaders of the university to put the screws down.  We are a university, not just a basketball program.  For all the good of Marquette hoops the last few years, there has been plenty of embarrassment also which I'm sure some in the administration are not too happy about.

You can have one without the other.  MU has had other moments of greatness without the off the court headlines and other schools are able to do it as well.  Buzz just needs to clamp down a little harder.  Win at all costs is not acceptable at MU nor should it be. Buzz will stay, he'll have to be a little smarter with some of his selections, that is all.  It can be done.
Can we just have this jack a$$ banned again please??  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

🏀

• All American
« Reply #322 on: March 25, 2012, 04:10:46 PM »
Anyone got an email for Larry Williams?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2012, 04:12:07 PM »
Chico's....you always have he inside scoop. You make my point, why spend all the many we do to be a hopeful S16 team every few years. I believ strongly they think the risk associated with going from current status to elite is not worth it. Buzz probably is a risk and maybe bigger risk than the reward. We spent a ton of money to be where we are and maybe this is as good as it gets.

Many people could run this program for a lot less money and provide enough success to please many supporters. For the record we played one more game than SLU this year so my comments are not a rip on that. My guess is the return on investment on that program trumped ours.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2012, 04:12:19 PM »

Just like when Crean left and MU hired some unknown assistant, Tyshawn Taylor asked out of his NLI, etc. etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure you don't truly understand what is REALLY at play here.