collapse

* Recent Posts

2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 01:06:27 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 10:10:15 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 20, 2024, 09:51:57 PM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Lennys Tap
[June 20, 2024, 08:26:59 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Warriors4ever
[June 20, 2024, 07:45:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 20, 2024, 05:24:06 PM]

More conference realignment talk by brewcity77
[June 20, 2024, 02:56:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 518442 times)

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
Re: CBS.com SMU pursuing Buzz
« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2012, 04:12:58 PM »
It's not?? When all the current players leave, and the incoming recruits ask out, and the AD hires a Coach at a lessor salary because he believes MU can never be Elite in hoop so why pay for something you will never get?? Will you be happy with being SLU?? Because that's what the vision is for the admin.

Were you in a coma from 2002 to 2008 when we were paying a handsome salary, going to the Final Four and resembled nothing of a program like SLU?  Since when have we been happy to be like SLU?  This comment is ridiculous.

Now, they may want to clean up the image a bit of MU or at least have Buzz clamp down on some of the off the court stuff.  Is that a bad thing?  Does anyone like reading that stuff about our school?  You can bet the President of the school and BOT don't.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #326 on: March 25, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
It's probably just Larry.Williams@marquette.edu

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #327 on: March 25, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »
Did this really happen??  The 2nd paragraph stuff I bolded?  If Larry Williams did in fact say that crap, and go overboard on the whole WVU thing - he needs to be fired/replaced immediately.  Period.  You don't come into a place and in 3 months call out your most valuable asset in your department.  Buzz never should have had to apologize for the dance period.  He was celebrating, having fun...national media picked up on it, a lot of people LOVED it..who cares if it offended 5% of the population?  Buzz is single handedly putting MU back on the national stage a la Al McGuire and we have some politically correct "suit" trying to corral what is far and away the most colorful, talented, asset we have as a university??  Please.

Buzz apologized for the dance about 10 seconds after he did it, with no prodding from Larry Williams or Father Pilarz.  Get control of your emotions, you are all over the place.  You could see the reaction from the WVU fans, they were pissed.  It was a dance of fun and excitement for us, but not for their program.  Buzz knew right away it was not a smart thing to do. He apologized.  We're a Catholic university, if Larry Williams or Father Pilarz later said you should reiterate the apology, so what.   

The dance is at the bottom of the list of things that the university would be concerned about considering the other things that have put us on the front pages or the top story on the evening news the last 12 months.  The absolute bottom of the list. 
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Goose

• All American
« Reply #328 on: March 25, 2012, 04:16:23 PM »
Chico's...your guy had one season and ran to the bank for six years off Dwade. We trended down every year after FF that Wade gave us. We had chance to capitalize off  Wade and failed to do so. If the 2003 was not enough for Crean to make us elite he never could make it happen.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #329 on: March 25, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »
A lot of people, myself included, were very happy at the time with the Buzz hire. Coaches like Buzz don't grow on trees. Unfortunately, we're on the verge of learning that the hard way.

I'm a HUGE fan of Buzz and very much want him to stay, but:

1. Successful coaches may not grow on trees, but they're out there and Marquette has the money, backing, facilities, affiliations, reputation and traditions to land one.  Some of you guys seem to have a bad case of oneitis.

2. If Buzz leaves for a sad sack program like SMU because of some perceived slight (from a university that four years ago gave him a shot no one else would; from a university that 12 months ago stepped up and paid him huge dollars to stay) it says far more about him and his sense of loyalty than it says about anyone else. Frankly, it would make all his talk about family, and rolling with his guys a big stinking pile of feces.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:18:46 PM by Pakuni »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #330 on: March 25, 2012, 04:19:40 PM »
2. If Buzz leaves for a sad sack program like SMU because of some perceived slight (from a university that four years ago gave him a shot no one else would; from a university that 12 months ago stepped up and paid him huge dollars to stay) it says far more about him and his sense of loyalty than it says about anyone else. Frankly, it would make all his talk about family, and rolling with his guys a big stinking pile of feces.

Well said.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #331 on: March 25, 2012, 04:19:49 PM »
Sultan....obviously you are comments have merit. Quick question, has TC put Indiana back on the map? You can fall off face of the earth quickly, look at UCLA. Buzz put a bigger light on the program, especially this season.

You make it sound like MU fell off the map in the last decade.  Buzz inherited a 3 time NCAA team and a program only 5 years off a Final Four.  He kept it going.  He hardly put it on the map.  He has continued to move it in a fantastic direction, but did not put it on the map.  Furthermore, there have been a few off the court issues that have happened along the way which our administrators are going to notice when they have a microphone shoved in their face and it costs high profile people their jobs.

You cannot ignore this reality.  Prediction is Buzz stays and gets a nice raise out of it.  The same actions which the previous coach did and got skewered for it.  Coaches are coaches at the end of the day, and Buzz is no different.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #332 on: March 25, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Were you in a coma from 2002 to 2008 when we were paying a handsome salary, going to the Final Four and resembled nothing of a program like SLU?  Since when have we been happy to be like SLU?  This comment is ridiculous.

Now, they may want to clean up the image a bit of MU or at least have Buzz clamp down on some of the off the court stuff.  Is that a bad thing?  Does anyone like reading that stuff about our school?  You can bet the President of the school and BOT don't.

To be fair and honest, I am not an MU Alum, simply a season ticket holder. So honestly, my only connection to the school is the BB program. That's my #1 concern. Do I want MU's name being smeared through the mud?? No, not really, but it doesn't affect me the way it would you alums. I care about their BB program, and anything that has an effect on that. Period. No, I do not want MU to "win at all costs"(cheat), but I do want them to win, that's my number 1 concern when it comes to Marquette University.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #333 on: March 25, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »

I'm pretty sure you don't truly understand what is REALLY at play here.

Oh please...then enlighten me...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #334 on: March 25, 2012, 04:21:13 PM »
Chico's...I am talking on the map, the real map. Your guy has put Indiana on the map again in big way and Buzz made us move up a notch from the place your guy left us.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #335 on: March 25, 2012, 04:22:29 PM »
But going to quickly become that if Buzz leaves. The players will bolt, the recruits will leave, and it will be back to mid major status. Just like some desire it to be. Pathetic.

Name one person that would like midmajor status.  No one does, it is a foolish statement.  Some of you guys are completely chicken littles right now.  

a) he's unlikely to leave
b) if he does, MU will hire another competent coach

Players have bolted in the past and MU has survived.  Coaches have bolted in the past, and MU has survived.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #336 on: March 25, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »
Buzx is handcuffed here and that is only reason why he could leave. While I believe our program is on verge of elite I do think we are on dangerously thin ice. I respectfully disagree with anyone who thinks we keep our program on fast track if Buzz leaves. It would be PR disaster if he fled to SMU. Any good cosh would say what the hell is going on there for that to happen.

Absolutely.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #337 on: March 25, 2012, 04:25:47 PM »
Hmmmmmm interesting turn of events it seems. Sounds now like Seth Greenberg's name has surfaced for SMU according to their boards. Did Buzz already say "no thanks"??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #338 on: March 25, 2012, 04:26:26 PM »
Chico's....you always have he inside scoop. You make my point, why spend all the many we do to be a hopeful S16 team every few years. I believ strongly they think the risk associated with going from current status to elite is not worth it. Buzz probably is a risk and maybe bigger risk than the reward. We spent a ton of money to be where we are and maybe this is as good as it gets.

Many people could run this program for a lot less money and provide enough success to please many supporters. For the record we played one more game than SLU this year so my comments are not a rip on that. My guess is the return on investment on that program trumped ours.

I'm not Chicos.  If you wish to reach him, warriornation123@gmail.com.  I have my own opinions, I'm sure he has his on this.  It would be fun to hear some of them.  My position is that Buzz isn't going anywhere and this is crazy talk.  I also understand why the university has concerns.  Front page of the Chicago Tribune twice, top stories on the news, university breaking state law, etc, etc will have an impact on an administration.  To deny that is not realistic.  

Goose

• All American
« Reply #339 on: March 25, 2012, 04:28:52 PM »
Makes no difference who gets SMU job. The fact that an elite coach was mentioned for a jerk off job is the issue. It is time that our coaches stay here and not run away. The fact that Buzz even is remotely mentioned with SMU pisses me off.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #340 on: March 25, 2012, 04:29:42 PM »
Where's there is smoke, I always believe there is fire.

If Buzz isn't happy, then he either:

A.) Leaves.
B.) Uses the interest from SMU to reiterate to Pilarz and Williams who is most important at 770 N. 12th Street.

Hoping for B.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #341 on: March 25, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »
Chico's...your guy had one season and ran to the bank for six years off Dwade. We trended down every year after FF that Wade gave us. We had chance to capitalize off  Wade and failed to do so. If the 2003 was not enough for Crean to make us elite he never could make it happen.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH CHICO'S BLAH BLAH BLAH CHICO'S BLAH BLAH BLAH

Now, if you want MY opinion, I find your assumptions way off the target.  MU trended down two years after the Final Four.  Then then went to 3 straight NCAA appearances and never finished worse than 4th or 5th in the Big East conference.  How is that trending down?  If we were trending down, how does a blueblood program like Indiana go hire the guy?  They aren't going out to hire coaches trending down.  Your comments are ridiculous.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #342 on: March 25, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »

Generally agree with your viewpoints Pakuni - yet to say no other university would have given Buzz a shot is a stretch - he was known as a hot, young rising, coach.  Crean knew he could recruit, and that's what Crean needed, after the fall off in his recruiting in 2003, 2004, and then largely weak classes after the Big 3.  Administration got to see Buzz's work ethic for 1 year, how the players responded to him, etc., and they could see they had a star in the making already at the university.  Buzz earned the opportunity to become MU's head coach and hasn't disappointed.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

LON

• All American
« Reply #343 on: March 25, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »
I'm not Chicos.  If you wish to reach him, warriornation123@gmail.com.  I have my own opinions, I'm sure he has his on this.  It would be fun to hear some of them.  My position is that Buzz isn't going anywhere and this is crazy talk.  I also understand why the university has concerns.  Front page of the Chicago Tribune twice, top stories on the news, university breaking state law, etc, etc will have an impact on an administration.  To deny that is not realistic.  

I don't think anyone is denying it.  They are just not talking/posting about it while sporting an erection.

However, this thread has been an enjoyable read for my lazy Sunday though, I think some of us should probably take a few days off. 

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #344 on: March 25, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »

1. Successful coaches may not grow on trees, but they're out there and Marquette has the money, backing, facilities, affiliations, reputation and traditions to land one.  Some of you guys seem to have a bad case of oneitis.

Pin this to the board.  + 100000

Goose

• All American
« Reply #345 on: March 25, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »
Indiana was about as much blue blood at the time of Crean hire as Crean was to being John Wooden. Crean ran to Indiana after begging for the job. He bolted MU more than Indiana courted him.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #346 on: March 25, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »

Thanks Chicos.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #347 on: March 25, 2012, 04:35:19 PM »
I don't think anyone is denying it.  They are just not talking/posting about it while sporting an erection.

However, this thread has been an enjoyable read for my lazy Sunday though, I think some of us should probably take a few days off. 

What is your deal with erections? 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #348 on: March 25, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
Generally agree with your viewpoints Pakuni - yet to say no other university would have given Buzz a shot is a stretch - he was known as a hot, young rising, coach.  Crean knew he could recruit, and that's what Crean needed, after the fall off in his recruiting in 2003, 2004, and then largely weak classes after the Big 3.  Administration got to see Buzz's work ethic for 1 year, how the players responded to him, etc., and they could see they had a star in the making already at the university.  Buzz earned the opportunity to become MU's head coach and hasn't disappointed.

Sorry, but at that time no program was going to hire Buzz Williams as its head coach, not after what happened at UNO. And certainly no program the status of MU's .

Now, he could have toiled a few more years as an assistant somewhere and eventually landed another head coaching opportunity but, again, probably not on par with Marquette. I liked the hire then, and I love it now. But you're kidding yourself if you think a top 25-30 program was going to be hiring him anytime soon.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #349 on: March 25, 2012, 04:37:05 PM »
Hmmmmmm interesting turn of events it seems. Sounds now like Seth Greenberg's name has surfaced for SMU according to their boards. Did Buzz already say "no thanks"??

I dunno why they'd even consider Greenberg if Buzz were still in play.  Of course, it's all message board fodder, so who knows.