[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 517858 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: King reports Buzz had all but agreed on SMU job
« Reply #2650 on: April 17, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »
Not money!

Yep. sooner or later folks will figure out the new MU admin better get it together. This was not BS, he was ready to move on. If the relations do not improve over the next 12 months,  MU will be looking for a new coach. Its up to Pilarz to get it straight.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2651 on: April 17, 2012, 08:32:59 PM »
I was referring mostly to your allegation that Methodists are "kind of" Christians. There's no place on this board for that, or judging Mormons or Baptists, or any religion.

I was kidding.

About the Moes, however, I live among them and behind the green jello they are exclusionary, close minded, racist. Read Krakauer's Under The Banner Of God and you might begin to understand.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2652 on: April 17, 2012, 08:40:37 PM »
I was kidding.

About the Moes, however, I live among them and behind the green jello they are exclusionary, close minded, racist. Read Krakauer's Under The Banner Of God and you might begin to understand.

It's "Under the Banner of Heaven."

Excellent read.  About fundamental Mormons, not mainstream.  Like Opus Dei is to Jesuits.
Ludum habemus.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2653 on: April 17, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »
BS.  Always was, and still is wild speculation.

Rocky, I have zero personal insight on this but if ESPN and Fox Sports journalists have arrived independently at a consistent view then there is likely validity to the story.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2654 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:08 PM »
Let's recap:  BOT brings in new guy to take MU to a new level.  New guy is national, intellectual/academic , a capital fundraiser, clergy, savvy politician and from a more stuck up school than Notre Dame (Gtown).  He is the smartest man in the room.  He replaces a nice, fatherly man who is overly loyal but who has clergy sexual abuse baggage (inaction) that follows him.

BOT has 7 clergy, 9 females, 15 nonprofits, 13 Wisconsinites, and has 11 nonMU grads out of  an unmanageable 35.  Maybe 5 Friends of Buzz.  Many for profits put on BOT's because they represent cash donors that don't want their name tied to negative stories.  Many are trying to finish their legacies.

New guy is told to clean up the perceived pr mess and move on to his vision.  Out with the old, in with the new.  Blame Athletics because it is easy and better than the clergy which has tainted at the very least the last two MU administrations.  Women crimes have gone unreported illegally for a decade if not scores, although BB is most recent but all handled like clergy were so need change from past.  "Make it End"

In is the empowered coach who is also new to MU history of the underdog.  Ran his own show within limits.  Kids make mistakes but coach has taken the time to study MU Warrior creed of past, play into the concept of "Be the Difference", but holds them accountable in a different way that these kids transform too.  He believes in redemption if they believe.  It jives with his story and he attaches deeply and sells it in to hardship kids who respond or they are out.  

New guy forms a committee which is his MO, hires a couple of ND toadies to raise the bar to his vision the BOT charged him with.  AD follows orders, asserts himself but goes after the signature program as new guy orders, doesn't understand complexities of running BE athletics or that loyal underling is more liked and qualified.  Both are at every game but loyal alums don't connect.  They walk in and out alone.  New guy is savvy but goes after the big one to pull back power.  Donors react and side with coach so he pulls it back.  ND guy weakened.  Coach alienated but wins short term.  New guy realizes he was led astray from BOT directive by the reaction of the masses.  His vision distracted, his new base never connects with him, he is reeling big time and has lost his agenda.  BOT has led him astray on his agenda; he recoils and tries to bring back coach to settle furor.

In the end, all weakened, all will not survive at MU unless the new guy regroups and imposes HIS university vision.  He is learning that.  Buzz will give him a chance to meld it together...only for the kids and loyal FOB alums, which are many.  There will be fallen soldiers as the new settles.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:58:05 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2655 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »
It's "Under the Banner of Heaven."

Excellent read.  About fundamental Mormons, not mainstream.  Like Opus Dei is to Jesuits.

Yes and no. He highlights the extremism of the groups in BC and Arizona but shows how they came out of the mainstream LDS church. LDS is big in Seattle's suburbs (they avoid the city like the plague) and they make their mark in many ways.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2656 on: April 17, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »
Let's recap:  BOT brings in new guy to take MU to a new level.  New guy is national, intellectual/academic , a capital fundraiser, clergy, savvy politician and from a more stuck up school than Notre Dame (Gtown).  He is the smartest man in the room.  He replaces a nice, fatherly man who is overly loyal but who has clergy sexual abuse baggage (inaction) that follows him.

BOT has 7 clergy, 9 females, 15 nonprofits, 13 Wisconsinites, and has 11 nonMU grads out of  an unmanageable 35.  Maybe 5 Friends of Buzz.  Many for profits put on BOT's because they represent cash donors that don't want their name tied to negative stories.  Many are trying to finish their legacies.

New guy is told to clean up the perceived pr mess and move on to his vision.  Out with the old, in with the new.  Blame Athletics because it is easy and better than the clergy which has tainted at the very least the last two MU administrations.  Women crimes have gone unreported illegally for a decade if not scores, although BB is most recent but all handled like clergy were so need change from past.  "Make it End"

In is the empowered coach who is also new to MU history of the underdog.  Ran his own show within limits.  Kids make mistakes but coach has taken the time to study MU Warrior creed of past, play into the concept of " Be the Difference", but holds them accountable in a different way that these kids transform too.  He believes in redemption if they believe.  It jives with his story and he attaches deeply and sells it in to hardship kids who respond or they are out.  

New guy forms a committee which is his MO, hires a couple of ND toadies to raise the bar to his vision the BOT charged him with.  AD follows orders, asserts himself but goes after the signature program as new guy orders, doesn't understand complexities of running BE athletics or that loyal underling is more liked and qualified.  Both are at every game but loyal alums don't connect.  They walk in and out alone.  New guy is savvy but goes after the big one to pull back power.  Donors react and side with coach so he pulls it back.  ND guy weakened.  Coach alienated but wins short term.  New guy realizes he was led astray from BOT directive by the reaction of the masses.  His vision distracted, his new base never connects with him, he is reeling big time and has lost his agenda.  BOT has led him astray on his agenda; he recoils and tries to bring back coach to settle furor.

In the end, all weakened, all will not survive at MU unless the new guy regroups and imposes HIS university vision.  He is learning that.  Buzz will give him a chance to meld it together...only for the kids and loyal FOB alums, which are many.  There will be fallen soldiers as the new settles.

I love that you said all this. although technically without sources, it all makes sense. I really appreciate a total recap, as opposed to many small "teaser" posts.

for anyone who has information on the rumor of a player being forced out, how does that event tie into blackheart's recap? Is that a move by the pres or the AD? and is it just a move to exert power on buzz/show buzz who has the real power? If so, very petty to take out your personal squabbles on a teenager

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #2657 on: April 17, 2012, 09:00:58 PM »

In is the empowered coach who is also new to MU history of the underdog.  Ran his own show within limits.  Kids make mistakes but coach has taken the time to study MU Warrior creed of past, play into the concept of " Be the Difference", but holds them accountable in a different way that these kids transform too.  He believes in redemption if they believe.  It jives with his story and he attaches deeply and sells it in to hardship kids who respond or they are out.  

Outstanding diagnosis, Doctor.  You've cut, if you'll pardon the expression, to the "black" heart of the problem with the skill and economy of a world class surgeon.  + 1 gazillion!
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2658 on: April 17, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
Keep claiming you're right, when there are no facts to back you up.  Doesn't bother me, or mean that you're right.

What "fact" do you want? 

I can tell you what I was told from the very beginning.  That Buzz wasn't getting along with his bosses and that he looked seriously at the SMU job.  (I never said anything about trying to de-emphasize basketball like Goose did...I never heard that.)

So now what I said is being backed up by Jason King...and your response is still burying your head in the sand.  Look, believe what you want to believe.  Throw me under the bus...throw IWB under the bus...whatever makes you feel better about yourself I guess is fine. 

But I was right. 

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2659 on: April 17, 2012, 09:16:17 PM »

What "fact" do you want? 

I can tell you what I was told from the very beginning.  That Buzz wasn't getting along with his bosses and that he looked seriously at the SMU job.  (I never said anything about trying to de-emphasize basketball like Goose did...I never heard that.)

So now what I said is being backed up by Jason King...and your response is still burying your head in the sand.  Look, believe what you want to believe.  Throw me under the bus...throw IWB under the bus...whatever makes you feel better about yourself I guess is fine. 

But I was right. 

Don't forget Jen Mueller of Fox Sports (now branded as Root.) She said the same thing as King reported.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2660 on: April 17, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »
Don't forget Jen Mueller of Fox Sports (now branded as Root.) She said the same thing as King reported.
Hold on...is Fox Sports branded as "Root" or is Jen Mueller?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #2661 on: April 17, 2012, 09:22:34 PM »
Go Warriors!!!

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2662 on: April 17, 2012, 09:27:43 PM »
Hold on...is Fox Sports branded as "Root" or is Jen Mueller?

Uh, Jen Mueller knows a lot about sports. I wouldn't say anything more than that. Nice person, very enthusiastic about sports. She is very prominent around here...

A quote from a local blog: http://seattlesportsnet.com/2010/02/28/jen-mueller-cleavage-watch/

Like two loaves of Seattle sourdough, sprinkled with yeast and baking alongside one another, Jen Mueller’s breasts evolved from their blouse of an oven and begged to be notice for the first time.

John Clayton is an oddball. We were seated at the bar and Clayton and Mueller were next to us. Clayton was right next to me. I first recognized his voice but the person was wearing sweat pants, a paint stained tee, and old beat up nikes. I couldn't believe that was Clayton. Anyhow, those two were great to talk to and really live and breath sports.

Having said which, Mueller is far less knowledgeable about what transpired with SMU's search and therefore should not be believed. Besides, she's a girl

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2663 on: April 17, 2012, 09:30:03 PM »

What "fact" do you want?  

But I was right.  

Of course you were right...about some administrative tension, but buzz was never close to going anywhere.  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:33:21 PM by rocky_warrior »

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #2664 on: April 17, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
Also mentioned that the SMU job carries a great deal of prestige and social status in Tejas

Having lived in Dallas for almost 33 now I can tell you that nothing could be further from the truth. SMU basketball is not important to anyone here outside of a few SMU students (very few) and fewer alums. Neither the program nor the position carry ANY prestige in DFW or Texas.

They get less media attention than the top area high schools-Baylor and UT get far better coverage in the Dallas Morning News and on local radio and TV stations. Doherty being fired got very little notice in the press/broadcast media. Their current search is being laughed at on all the local sports talk shows even by the long time "deans" of sports talk radio, Randy Galloway and Norm Hitzges. Just this morning Hitzges called the search process laughable and rapidly becoming a farce.

As to Jason King....he is so often wrong when talking about the big boys in college hoops that I have a really hard time giving any credibility to anything he writes....he's the king of rumor and speculation hoping that every once in a while he gets it right.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2665 on: April 17, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
Of course you were right about some administrative tension, but buzz was never close to going anywhere. 

Some credible journalists have a different view. Mueller's is the SMU ADD. Pretty damn good first hand sources. Care to state yours?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2666 on: April 17, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »
Of course you were right...about some administrative tension, but buzz was never close to going anywhere.  

It's always interesting that every situation can create two opposite viewpoints. The truth? It should make everyone uneasy regardless of what you think.

More importantly, does no one want to comment on the possible forcing out of a player? Surely that is more productive discussion.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2667 on: April 17, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »
SMU basketball is not important to anyone here outside of a few SMU students (very few) and fewer alums. Neither the program nor the position carry ANY prestige in DFW or Texas.

I wasn't speaking of SMU basketball. I am referring to SMU the institution. It has an elitist reputation and assoication conveys that prestige.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2668 on: April 17, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
Some credible journalists have a different view. Mueller's is the SMU ADD. Pretty damn good first hand sources. Care to state yours?

Yes, I will state my sources.  I have none.  And that is the important part.  When s*it goes down, I usually get lots of e-mails and PMs.  I got none about this whole SMU thing, except for Goose trying to convince me he had good information (and I know of Goose's source).  A lack of a source is my source that everyone else was spewing s*it.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2669 on: April 17, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Yes, I will state my sources.  I have none.  And that is the important part.  When s*it goes down, I usually get lots of e-mails and PMs.  I got none about this whole SMU thing, except for Goose trying to convince me he had good information (and I know of Goose's source).  A lack of a source is my source that everyone else was spewing s*it.

What about a Fox Sports reporter citing the ADD at SMU?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2670 on: April 17, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »

In is the empowered coach who is also new to MU history of the underdog.  Ran his own show within limits.  Kids make mistakes but coach has taken the time to study MU Warrior creed of past, play into the concept of "Be the Difference", but holds them accountable in a different way that these kids transform too.  He believes in redemption if they believe.  It jives with his story and he attaches deeply and sells it in to hardship kids who respond or they are out.  

Dead on Doctor. Nice to see some analysis of a complex situation rather than the simple among our fandom saying stupid things like this proves that Buzz is a "basketball mercenary" and a phony/conman.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #2671 on: April 17, 2012, 10:00:09 PM »
I still can't believe this board is still talking about SMU. Dear god...
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2672 on: April 17, 2012, 10:01:52 PM »
What about a Fox Sports reporter citing the ADD at SMU?

Funny, you seem to put more faith in what SMU's AD might have to say than what Larry Williams had to say.  Maybe you should go have a drink with Chicos. 

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #2673 on: April 17, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »
What went down with Larry that made Buzz seriously consider leaving? A year ago he probably thought he would retire here. Is it because Larry thinks he's the top man on campus? Can someone PLEASE answer this in a short simple note? Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:04:02 PM by buzzchiapet »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2674 on: April 17, 2012, 10:26:43 PM »
Here you go Bro,
The new sheriff and his deputy dug in Buzz' stuff. Basically, upon directive from on high, the acts of several players have brought unwanted negative publicity to our fine alma mater and are not to be repeated henceforth. This, of course, smacks of messin' with happy and the bus driver is pissed and feelin' unloved. So, the pissin' match starts with who blinks first. Likely ending will be MU changin' coaches, sooner than later citing irreconcible differences.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"