collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Everlasting Craptastical Mystery Thread  (Read 512445 times)

DienerTime34

• All American
Re: King reports Buzz had all but agreed on SMU job
« Reply #2600 on: April 17, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »
Unless he was physically in the room or literally on the phone at the same time as Buzz and SMU, there's no way he knows this except hearing it secondhand. Now it's being reported as fact, and soon a 10,000 page thread will result on MUScoop. I suppose now you all believe in snarks and grumpkins as well.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2601 on: April 17, 2012, 06:11:02 PM »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2602 on: April 17, 2012, 06:11:30 PM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2603 on: April 17, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
Not looking good for that.

Red Wing is open!  St. Croix and WI open in 18.  PD Pappys opens then too.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2604 on: April 17, 2012, 06:19:02 PM »
Buzz was never was going to SMU unless relieved of his duties here. Power play on his part to say two can play the power play game. When all said and done an ugly situation got uglier.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #2605 on: April 17, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »
SMU will be a doormat in the BE, a doormat for at least 5 years.  Would he have even lasted that long.

Larry Brown bringing in Howard and Rod Strickland (assistant at Kentucky) will maybe help with recruiting, but it will take a long time.  
not sure about that.  those two are already great recruiters, and they're now recruiting for a nba coach.  it will take a few years to get talent, but they have a structure and long-term plan that is going to be attractive to recruits. 

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2606 on: April 17, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
not sure about that.  those two are already great recruiters, and they're now recruiting for a nba coach.  it will take a few years to get talent, but they have a structure and long-term plan that is going to be attractive to recruits. 

Don't they have a lot of money, too? Not just money but earl money

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #2607 on: April 17, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »

Red Wing is open!  St. Croix and WI open in 18.  PD Pappys opens then too.

lake winnebago never closes and the walleyes are going good...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2608 on: April 17, 2012, 06:30:26 PM »

Yes a few years, like five.  Agree with the NBA coach aspect, National Championship, etc. and having Howard and Strickland helps, but SMU sucked in CUSA and now they are going up against the big boys.  Lets see what top 100 recruits in the class of 2013 start signing on the dotted line, or even if the Dallas/Houston talent start peeking interest.  Major rebuild and I hope it does work out since they just joined the BE.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2609 on: April 17, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »
Yes a few years, like five.  Agree with the NBA coach aspect, National Championship, etc. and having Howard and Strickland helps, but SMU sucked in CUSA and now they are going up against the big boys.  Lets see what top 100 recruits in the class of 2013 start signing on the dotted line, or even if the Dallas/Houston talent start peeking interest.  Major rebuild and I hope it does work out since they just joined the BE.

SMU is all in. Make no mistake. They intend to win.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2610 on: April 17, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
As goose, myself and others stated early on, this was closer than a lot of people are now stating it was. Turns out people were not reporting false rumors.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #2611 on: April 17, 2012, 06:49:14 PM »
From what I heard I think Buzz liked the social status attaching to the SMU job. That school carries a lot of weigt in Texas, especially Dallas

I don't doubt this, but this doesn't match the "aw shucks, it's just about the kids" type of stuff we have been hearing does it?

Still glad he is at MU.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #2612 on: April 17, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »
 Major rebuild and I hope it does work out since they just joined the BE.

+1 on this.  Was less than thrilled when the original report of them joining the conf came out, but the news is promising.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2613 on: April 17, 2012, 07:04:14 PM »
I don't doubt this, but this doesn't match the "aw shucks, it's just about the kids" type of stuff we have been hearing does it?

I think we now know that Buzz' good ole boy personae is his schtick. It's pure bull.

Of course, Al had his schtick which we found endearing

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2614 on: April 17, 2012, 07:04:55 PM »
Looks like some people owe IWB an apology......

I won't hold my breath.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2615 on: April 17, 2012, 07:10:24 PM »
Two month ago I called Buzz slippery and got bashed for it. If anyone really believe in "awe shucks" is an easy sale. When Buzz smirked after his dance it showed a side of him I really liked. I think he is shrewd, calculating person that knows how to butter his own bread. I believe he cares about the kids, similar to Al, but also similar to Al, he knows how to watch out for himself. I think more Dallas in Uncle Buzz than Cowpoke, Texas.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #2616 on: April 17, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »
most country boy "aw shucks" personas I have run across have turned out to be quite the opposite.   

would like to think Buzz is different but he is too sharp and sure knows what he is doing to be a country bumpkin..

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #2617 on: April 17, 2012, 07:20:03 PM »
i'm too young to have seen al coach, but i spent some time (probably a whole 10 hours total) with him watching tc's practices and at other places.  i guess i'm with goose.  i believe buzz and al both care about their kids, but i see a difference in the way they approach the question of their job.  al would always say "take the money," but it was a different time.  i see buzz saying he'll be at mu as long as they will have him.  i'm not sure if the smu thought was out of mu no longer wanting him, or his wanting to leave, but i hope his country boy theme doesn't play out in the same manner as brett farve.  

goose, what made you change your mind on how administration handled/viewed this situation?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2618 on: April 17, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »
We ought not be surprised when he does a runner. Course he might just stay the course with MU. Al did but people might not know he tried to leave for the Bucks HC job but Fr Raynor held him to his contract. Al's comment was that, "The Jesuit Fathers take their vows of poverty very seriously and expect you to live by them."

Big difference between Al and Buzz, in my opinion? Al was Irish Catholic through and through and the Church meant a great deal. (And he was pre-Vatican 2!) It was an essential element of who and what he was. When a priest spoke, Al listened. When he saw a nun he immediately had a surge of guilt.

Buzz doesn't have that heritage. Sure, he says he's religious but he ain't Irish Catholic religious. Huge difference.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #2619 on: April 17, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »
People, people, people, all of this belongs over on the Lunardi thread, otherwise we'll never reach the 103 page mark.  Right?  So, come on let's work together as a team as we strive to reach new heights.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2620 on: April 17, 2012, 07:28:13 PM »
Unless he was physically in the room or literally on the phone at the same time as Buzz and SMU, there's no way he knows this except hearing it secondhand. Now it's being reported as fact, and soon a 10,000 page thread will result on MUScoop. I suppose now you all believe in snarks and grumpkins as well.

No, but occasionally on camping trips, I stand up against a tree holding a bag open on the ground waiting for a snipe to run into it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #2621 on: April 17, 2012, 07:29:26 PM »
I agree that the aww shucks stuff is an act, and I'm cool with that. The dude is sly like a fox.

However, I've heard/read people heaping praise upon him for years saying that "he's different", "he's 100% truthful", "it's not an act" "I'll be here as long as MU has me" etc. (I'm paraphrasing).

I don't want to start a sh*tfight about this, I just hope everybody has their eyes open now.

Buzz is a good coach, and appears to be a good guy. But, his employment will last until:

A. He finds a gig he likes better or wants more
B. MU is unhappy with his performance (on or off the court)

I know this seems blatantly obvious, but that's my point. No need to romanticize it. Let's just call it what it is. Buzz is a basketball mercenary. I'm glad we have him.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2622 on: April 17, 2012, 07:29:50 PM »
From what I heard I think Buzz liked the social status attaching to the SMU job. That school carries a lot of weigt in Texas, especially Dallas

Maybe he wants a school more in conformity with his religious beliefs.  Are Methodists Christians?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #2623 on: April 17, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »
People, people, people, all of this belongs over on the Lunardi thread, otherwise we'll never reach the 103 page mark.  Right?  So, come on let's work together as a team as we strive to reach new heights.

don't worry, the mods will start combining threads soon.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2624 on: April 17, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »

I say we use the Scoop vs Scout thread. It already has a running start and what better irony than to post on another mega thread that Dodds would have shut down.

Oh the irony, Johnny Dodds!

feedback