Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 6 Marquette players ticketed for being in a night club  (Read 29606 times)

Sharpie

• Team Captain
Re: 6 Marquette players ticketed for being in a night club
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »
This is absurd that it would be a big deal to anyone. In my time at Marquette I have seen and witnessed plenty of basketball players, other sport athletes at bars that weren't of age. Every single person I knew while in college also attended bars and drank at parties, bars, clubs, etc.

I really don't see the big deal. Yeah I know they are in the public spotlight but they probably just wanted to get out and look at some tail. I would do the same thing if I were a d1 college basketball player.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »
Not in Milwaukee so I read both Fox and WISN articles and watched the WISN video. Seems they've updated/edited things since the first post. No mention of underage drinking, just being underage in a club. Also, I didn't see anything about any fight.  Plus the SI article seemed none too dubious.

Hopefully the national opinion on this remains a non-story as that's what it appears for the moment to anyone who reads the SI or local Milwaukee articles.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2012, 07:22:17 PM »
Looks like Fox 6 took the video down and edited out the part about the "fight."
Ludum habemus.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2012, 07:23:38 PM »

How credible.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2012, 07:24:03 PM »

Lots of redactions, edits, updates in this "gotta break the story first" journalism era.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2012, 07:24:28 PM »

College kids drinking in a bar.....in Milwaukee....WTF! Unbelievable this is a story.  I would venture a guess every person who posts here hoisted
more than a few in college.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2012, 07:28:17 PM »
All in all it as stupid situation. The boys were there for a girls birthday and a non player did not like the guys being there. He was overprotective ofhis girlfriend and created the problem. Again, I am surprised that this was not in paper or news earlier...an above average number of police were called in.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »
All in all it as stupid situation. The boys were there for a girls birthday and a non player did not like the guys being there. He was overprotective ofhis girlfriend and created the problem. Again, I am surprised that this was not in paper or news earlier...an above average number of police were called in.

No punches thrown? No bigger issues than being in the night club?

If so, that is relieving to hear.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2012, 07:34:32 PM »
Back in the day, the Milwaukee pd were more than happy to handcuff a student, call the paddy wagon, and feed you baloney and white bread sandwiches  till you went to court on
Monday.  

Gotta believe nothing happened too serious.

8796CHAVEZC

• Walk-On
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2012, 07:35:16 PM »
One thing I'm very happy about in the story is Todd Mayo's math.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »
College kids drinking in a bar.....in Milwaukee....WTF! Unbelievable this is a story.  I would venture a guess every person who posts here hoisted

I agree this alone is pretty much a non-story if indeed there was no MU players involved in a fight, but it is annoying that there has been so much bad press for the program over the last couple years (Newbill, 2 sexual assault allegations, Blue fight, and now this). It would be nice to focus on the team and not have to worry about this type of stuff, especially as the team is preparing for the sweet 16. At some point these guys have to be smarter/Buzz has to enlighten them more about these things.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »
My son was there and he flat out said it was blown out of proportion. Biggest issue was that they were allowed to get in, even though obviously underage. If these guys were not basketball players on a FF team it would be non issue. Truthfully with I what I know if one of them were my son I would give them a hard time for being caught underage.

Let's focus on winning four games and keeping Buzz for a long time.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »
Real....don't mention paddy wagon when discussing this issue, might be too close to home.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2012, 08:01:28 PM »
One thing I'm very happy about in the story is Todd Mayo's math.

Excellent!
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »
They didn't even get underage drinking tickets! This is a frackin joke.
I know.  Shows how poor the reporting is.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2012, 08:40:49 PM »
Whoa, local TV news dropping bombs. Bigger deal than the JS article.

WISN 12 led with the story and ambushed Vander on the sidewalk. He didn't say anything other than "you'll have to talk to coach."

Fox 6 used it as a second story, and say DJO was very drunk, tried to break into a private party, and ended up beating up someone who's planning on becoming a preacher. The preacher didn't press charges because he wants to leave this "in God's hands."

Oh, man, thanks for this, I needed a good, long hee-haw.  This "story" is a complete f***ing joke.  Who reported this for WTMJ, Carl Monday?! 

If this kid is a preacher, then I'm a f***ing astronaut.  LOL.

Hitman

• Walk-On
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
Green Street Hooligans - Journalist Scum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NciyS50RAJ4

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2012, 08:46:45 PM »

1) I found it interesting that the story states, "The report says police received a call around 12:40 a.m. on January 29th." Did someone really call the cops because there were underagers in a bar?! Seems like an issue of jealousy to me (without having all of the facts, of course).

2) Never have a girlfriend when you're in college. Everyone knows that.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2012, 08:47:26 PM »
Was that 1 of their 15 free articles per month.  The JS can go F themselves!

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2012, 09:18:50 PM »
There is a possible media bias against MU if they feel the university was not transparent in the past (as media types feel entitled to all internal and public doings)..... But this is ridiculous....college students invited to a private party at a high end night club....get admitted and then cited by the police for being underage at a 21 and above club.   Oh the horror and shame on the program!   Give me a break.  The real shocking story should be that they were NOT drinking like every other college student would be doing in that situation.  Headline news?????   Wow.

Love the jsonline blog comments.....Suddenly showing up at a nightclub is the equivalent of pillaging the village.  I should know better than to read those blogs.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
yaaaaawwwwwwnnn!! Is it Thursday yet?
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2012, 12:32:07 AM »

How's about a public retraction, if not an apology.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2012, 12:52:20 AM »

I support our players and our Coach's handling of this situation. While not directly relatable, when I first read of "the fight" I thought of Charles Barkley in Rosie's on Water St. many years ago. Some drunk tough guy thinks he can handle truly tough guy Chuck. Wrong guy to fool with, but Sir Charles did get in some minor trouble after finishing the matter. High profile people can get into trouble sometimes when out in public, especially clubs, without trying for trouble. I mean, who would want to start something with DJO unless they weren't totally rationale. That said, I also agree with Hoopalong that repeated minor incidents need to stop. And I think it is a crock that they all got cited when they were let in by the proprietor, and weren't drinking

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2012, 02:23:40 AM »

I was 17 and getting blasted at Angelo's and Big Mouth Frog's. I'd be disappointed in these kids if they weren't out boozing it up

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2012, 06:26:17 AM »
ZFB got a DC for taking a leak in the alley behind McGillicuddy's in 2002.

Also got a jaywalking ticket at 16th and wells my junior year.

Those were fun to disclose on my secuirites license disclosure.  :D