Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Juan Anderson  (Read 15172 times)

GGGG

• All American
Juan Anderson
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »
I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm not trying to "throw the guy under the bus" or anything, but...

I'm pretty frustrated by his lack of development.    Yeah, I know he was hurt and suspended for a couple of games, but after the UW game where he had some great energy, grabbed five boards and scored a nice basket, I thought "OK...slow start but here's something."

But since then it's been a bunch of energy and running around, but honestly not much else.

We are really going to need him (or Jamail) next year.  We've talked about Jamail here before, but honestly Juan concerns me as well.  I was hoping that one of them could do something next year close to what Jamil is doing this year - quality minutes...defend well...hit a couple shots...don't turn the ball over.  Now I'm not so sure.

🏀

• All American
Re: Juan Anderson
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:00:05 PM »
I think Juan suffers from too short of a leash.

And lack of strength.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm not trying to "throw the guy under the bus" or anything, but...

I'm pretty frustrated by his lack of development.    Yeah, I know he was hurt and suspended for a couple of games, but after the UW game where he had some great energy, grabbed five boards and scored a nice basket, I thought "OK...slow start but here's something."

But since then it's been a bunch of energy and running around, but honestly not much else.

We are really going to need him (or Jamail) next year.  We've talked about Jamail here before, but honestly Juan concerns me as well.  I was hoping that one of them could do something next year close to what Jamil is doing this year - quality minutes...defend well...hit a couple shots...don't turn the ball over.  Now I'm not so sure.

Was excited to see if he could step up last night with the oppurtunity and disappointed that he didn't. Having said that it is difficult to tell what his develpment is with the limited minutes he is getting. If Buzz put him in the rotation early on, he must have confidence in him based on what he is doing in practice

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »
We are really going to need him (or Jamail) next year.

More like we are going to need them on Saturday.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 12:05:10 PM »

I am much more concerned about Jamail, but getting back to Juan.  Think you are spot on, his feet seem to be pretty good, and obviously has athleticism.  Currently reminds me of a young Joe Fulce type where he grab rebounds, hopefully hit the occasional open 16 footer.  Thing to remember Juan is 18, a full year younger than anyone on the team, and he missed 3 games, so at this point, I can let it slide.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:31 PM »
We may get a chance to see over the next few games.  His minutes last night were very limited.  What I'd like to see is a solid court presence for 8-10 minutes a game giving Wilson a rest.  He looked a tad nervous and out of control last night possibly because of the burden he now carries.  Let's see how Saturday and Monday work out as he relaxes just a bit.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:56 PM »

What are you complaining about? We're the hottest team in (and could possibly win) the Big East and you're talking about next year?

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »
Jimmy Butler was at a junior college his freshman year. Juan is fine.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:10:54 PM »
I think it is very hard not to make mistakes, when you know you are going to the bench if you make one. That simply adds pressure on a player that is already feeling pressure, because he is inexperienced.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »
I don't know if you guys saw the Inside Marquette Basketball episode two weeks ago, where Juan was Homer's special guest.  Did you know that Juan didn't start playing competitive/organized basketball until his freshman year (was a soccer player)?!?  I find it fascinating (and as a former athlete, maddening as hell) that guys can pick up a scholarship in a sport that isn't their initial love/focus.  But I digress.

First of all, I love what Juan is about (I've been listening to Buzz too much).  He has the right attitude, is 110% committed, and above all else, is frustrated/upset at his lack of playing time and limited contributions to the team.  His energy and hunger will help him over the years.

After the segment, Buzz came out and said that Juan has had a very challenging year @ MU (suspension, injuries leading to eight missed practice, etc).  But what Buzz also said, was that Juan is going to grow into a great player at Marquette.

Frustrated at his lack of progress, yes.  But, far from concerned.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »

I don't know if you guys saw the Inside Marquette Basketball episode two weeks ago, where Juan was Homer's special guest.  Did you know that Juan didn't start playing competitive/organized basketball until his freshman year (was a soccer player)?!?  I find it fascinating (and as a former athlete, maddening as hell) that guys can pick up a scholarship in a sport that isn't their initial love/focus.  But I digress.

First of all, I love what Juan is about (I've been listening to Buzz too much).  He has the right attitude, is 110% committed, and above all else, is frustrated/upset at his lack of playing time and limited contributions to the team.  His energy and hunger will help him over the years.  I say hunger both literally and figuratively (dude needs to put on 20-30 lbs).

After the segment, Buzz came out and said that Juan has had a very challenging year @ MU (suspension, injuries leading to eight missed practice, etc).  But what Buzz also said, was that Juan is going to grow into a great player at Marquette.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »
Jimmy Butler was at a junior college his freshman year. Juan is fine.
+1. One of the things they noted on the broadcast last night was how players develop at Marquette. Jimmy, Lazar, Wes as prime examples. Hell, even Dwight Buycks was in junior college and now he's in the D-League. Jae and DJO were both JUCOs and both are going to be paid playing basketball next year either in the NBA or elsewhere.

Juan's a kid, and he's learning. The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »

First of all, I love what Juan is about (I've been listening to Buzz too much).  He has the right attitude, is 110% committed, and above all else, is frustrated/upset at his lack of playing time and limited contributions to the team.  His energy and hunger will help him over the years.

Agree - I saw that and came away from it thinking that he was a perfect fit for the program.  He also looked unbelievably skinny in that segment.  Compare him to our other switchables Jae, Jamil, and even Jamail, and he looks like a toothpick.  A full off-season with Todd Smith, another full Big East season with minutes in the 8-20 range, then another off-season with Todd Smith and I think he'll be a star at MU.

beercanindasky

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 12:55:08 PM »
+1. One of the things they noted on the broadcast last night was how players develop at Marquette. Jimmy, Lazar, Wes as prime examples. Hell, even Dwight Buycks was in junior college and now he's in the D-League. Jae and DJO were both JUCOs and both are going to be paid playing basketball next year either in the NBA or elsewhere.

Juan's a kid, and he's learning. The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.

I wonder how Lazar's first year compares, seeing how he too had to wait a bit.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
I don't know if you guys saw the Inside Marquette Basketball episode two weeks ago

Is this available on-line?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »
What are you complaining about? We're the hottest team in (and could possibly win) the Big East and you're talking about next year?

Oh that's right....I'm supposed to check with PRN before posting about topics.  I forgot that he doesn't seem to have the ability to skip a topic he doesn't want to read.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
I wonder how Lazar's first year compares, seeing how he too had to wait a bit.

If you really want to know, not very well.

Lazar was 6.6/3.6 in 16 mpg his freshman year.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »
I think Juan is going to be just fine.  Maturity, experience, weight training and some playing time will help.

He had a rough go at it last night, but let's see how he does at ND.

As previously discussed in other threads, Jamail Jones has now been at MU two years and has really done nothing with the above.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
Is this available on-line?

http://www.gomarquette.com/allaccess/?media=294462

Juan interview just after the 12 minute mark

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »
Yeah, but Hayward was at a disadvantage freshman year tryin' to play for Crean.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
I want him to just leap up and compete for minutes, but as has been said he's 18. I'm not worried.

I think a kid with Juan's profile will grow in spurts rather than with the steady progression of a guy like Lazar or JFB. Juan can jump through the roof and has more pure athleticism than most. Also with his energy and attitude, sometimes on the court it looks like he wants almost too much to do the right thing/contribute. I don't think there will be a steady improvement in Juan's play as much as you'll be able to see the light bulb switch on and he'll just get it. Once that happens, I think there will be a lot of "wow" plays with Juan.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 01:24:45 PM »
Yeah, but Hayward was at a disadvantage freshman year tryin' to play for Crean.

My guess if Anderson's numbers would be close to 6 and 4 if he played 16 minutes a night. Maybe not as efficient or pretty, but the point is that Anderson seems to progressing fine for a freshman getting inconsistent minutes. I'm not worried at all.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

If you really want to know, not very well.

Lazar was 6.6/3.6 in 16 mpg his freshman year.

I know you didn't start the discussion, but I'm not sure it's a good comparison anyway.  Wasn't Lazar relatively "old" for a freshman, and already had a year of Prep school?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »
I know you didn't start the discussion, but I'm not sure it's a good comparison anyway.  Wasn't Lazar relatively "old" for a freshman, and already had a year of Prep school?

Yes, just like Mayo has the age advantage coming from the same prep school.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 01:55:50 PM »
Those 3 games he missed were huge for him this year.  That would have gotten his feet wet and his leash would have been longer than in BE play.  Sure he was able to practice but game experience cannot be duplicated.  Not to mention the confidence he would have gained from getting 15-20 minutes against Mount St Mary's or Norfolk game 1.