Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Juan Anderson  (Read 15173 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Juan Anderson
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »
Personally, I love Juan's game.  I am extremely excited for his future and I think he will end up being our second best player from his class... and that is only because Todd Mayo has had such a great freshman year.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2012, 09:45:29 AM »
Personally, I love Juan's game.  I am extremely excited for his future and I think he will end up being our second best player from his class... and that is only because Todd Mayo has had such a great freshman year.

I don't have much of an opinion either way since Juan started so late but what do you love of his game?

He hasn't seen much time in January which just so happens to coincide with the most important games on our schedule and during that limited time just about all I've seen is his hustle.

In the end, the hard evidence is so inconclusive.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2012, 09:46:54 AM »
I don't have much of an opinion either way since Juan started so late but what do you love of his game?

He hasn't seen much time in January which just so happens to coincide with the most important games on our schedule and during that limited time just about all I've seen is his hustle.

He hustles, and finds ways to get to the ball.  I know the game hasn't slowed down for him yet, but I just like that he works his tail off when he gets in.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2012, 09:50:50 AM »
Does he have any offensive game, so far all I have seen is a few lay-ups?  Secondly, the 2 free throws he had last game were not even
close.  He has a long ways to go.  He is playing slightly out of position, should back-up Vander but Mayo comes in for him as Buzz does
not like to sit DJO for just a few minutes a game.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2012, 09:53:05 AM »
51. Jakarr Sampson, St. John's: Hasn't played.
52. Tyrone Johnson, Villanova: 2.7 points, 1.7 assists, 13.7 minutes
53. Shannon Scott, Ohio State: 1.7 points, 2.0 assists, 11.4 minutes
54. Deuce Bello, Baylor: 4.1 points, 2.4 rebounds, 11.1 minutes
55. Michael Chandler, UCF: Hasn't played
56. Aaron Thomas, Florida State: Hasn't played.
57. Julian Lewis, Texas: 8.2 points, 3.8 rebounds, 25.1 minutes
58. Tracy Adams, Illinois: 2.8 points, 2.5 rebounds, 19.2 minutes
59. Mike Shaw, Illinois: 1.1 points, 2.3 rebounds, 8.3 minutes
60. Sheldon McClellan, Texas: 10.6 points, 3.2 rebounds, 25.7 minutes
61. Juan Anderson, Marquette: 0.7 points, 1.0 rebounds, 4.9 minutes
62. Tyler Adams, Georgetown: 2.5 points, 2.3 rebounds, 6.0 minutes
63. Dai-Jon Parker, Vanderbilt: 1.9 points, 1.1 rebounds, 11.6 minutes
64. D.J. Gardner, Mississippi St.: Hasn't played.
65. Jamal Branch, Texas A&M: 4.2 points, 2.5 assists, 18.6 minutes
66. Willy Kouassi, Auburn: 1.6 points, 2.6 rebounds, 10.7 minutes
67. Zach Price, Louisville: 1.3 points, 1.5 rebounds, 5.9 minutes
68. Amir Garrett, St. John's: 5.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 21.8 minutes
69. Normal Powell, UCLA: 5.6 points, 2.4 rebounds, 17.6 minutes
70. Kevin Ware, Louisville: 1.1 points, 0.7 rebounds, 5.9 minutes
71. Cezar Guerrero, Oklahoma St.: 5.9 points, 1.7 rebounds, 17.8 minutes

Take these FACTS for what you will, but of the 10 recruits ranked ahead of him and the 10 behind him, Anderson is averaging the least amount of points, rebounds and minutes. Ware has less rebounds but has played just 12 games due to injury. Say what you will, but those are the numbers.

Hmm, hard for him to average more pts, rebounds, assists, etc., when you are averaging the LEAST AMOUNT OF MINUTES.

Also, how many of those teams are better than Marquette this year? The FACTS are, we don't need Juan to score and before DG went out we didn't need him to rebound. Now he is playing out of position against men significantly stronger and bigger than his slight frame.  

Seriously, Juan's play before last game has actually been encouraging -  esp for a guy who seems so much skinnier that  everyone else. Give him a full year under the trainer to that needed build strength and he will become a big part of MU.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:58:44 AM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2012, 09:58:05 AM »

And isnt Mayo 3 yrs older too? I think we forget how lucky it is to have a player come in with a Big East ready body. We were spoiled with the Big 3 who came in and immediately looked physically ready to handle Big East guards. Juan already looks much stronger when I saw him shoot those FTs a game or so ago, and he doesn't get to play the wing where he could use his athleticism and dribbling ability more, but instead has to battle down low all game.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »

I still like Juan's upside a lot because of his size and physical ability. Might take him until Junior year to really be effective as he continues to fill out and round out his game.

Mayo is far closer to a finished product, and I'm guessing he is going to be very good (not great) for the next few years. Great recruiting by Buzz.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »
Out of HS, no.  But he sure was one after one year of JUCO.

Honest question, was Jimmy really highly regarded after one year of JUCO? I thought the story was Buzz went to go scout Fulce, happened to have had a casual conversation with Jimmy while there and recruited him as a package deal with Fulce...but Joe was the much more highly regarded recruit. Thought Jimmy was kind of along for the ride and then it was the big surprise when he turned out to be the bigger stud of the two (which might have played out differently if not for Joe's injuries).

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
Honest question, was Jimmy really highly regarded after one year of JUCO? I thought the story was Buzz went to go scout Fulce, happened to have had a casual conversation with Jimmy while there and recruited him as a package deal with Fulce...but Joe was the much more highly regarded recruit. Thought Jimmy was kind of along for the ride and then it was the big surprise when he turned out to be the bigger stud of the two (which might have played out differently if not for Joe's injuries).

Jimmy was an honorable mention juco AA his freshman year. I think about 50 guys (5 teams, 10 guys each) are AAs, so he was in the second 50 or so. I would say somewhat, but not highly, regarded.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »
Jimmy was an honorable mention juco AA his freshman year. I think about 50 guys (5 teams, 10 guys each) are AAs, so he was in the second 50 or so. I would say somewhat, but not highly, regarded.

Pretty sure there are three JUCO AA teams, 10 guys each with 20 honorable mention.  There are usually a lot of second year guys on the AA list too, so making honorable mention means he was top 50 regardless of class, probably top 15-25 in his own class.  And he was the age of a high school senior then.  Not too shabby.  Kentucky was also in on him late, if that's any indication.  Good thing Buzz got to him first.  He definitely has an eye for potential.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »
Hmm, hard for him to average more pts, rebounds, assists, etc., when you are averaging the LEAST AMOUNT OF MINUTES.

Also, how many of those teams are better than Marquette this year? The FACTS are, we don't need Juan to score and before DG went out we didn't need him to rebound. Now he is playing out of position against men significantly stronger and bigger than his slight frame.  

Seriously, Juan's play before last game has actually been encouraging -  esp for a guy who seems so much skinnier that  everyone else. Give him a full year under the trainer to that needed build strength and he will become a big part of MU.

.....I'm on Juan's side 100 percent....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »

Jimmy had an offer from Kentucky (and, I believe, Iowa State), so he wasn't an unknown. The way he tells it, Joe Fulce talked him into coming to MU instead.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/107124358.html

Montana Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »
Juan is not yet done developing.  He's a peachy faced kid.  Wouldn't be surprised if he grows another inch or two in the next three years.  I think he is very athletic and given time he will develop into one of Marquette's great players.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
Thanks, Lenny and Pakuni.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2012, 07:55:03 PM »
He hustles, and finds ways to get to the ball.  I know the game hasn't slowed down for him yet, but I just like that he works his tail off when he gets in.

I agree.

Hard not to like a kid who works hard when he gets the call. It's also hard to think the game was ever going to slow down for him with all the ups and downs of his pre-season.

An important summer coming up for the Cali Kid.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2012, 08:16:43 PM »

Juan is very athletic, a quick leaper, has a nice shot and very good ball handler.  I think he is going to be a special player.  He needs to fill out and the time he missed with the injuries and then suspension has hurt his development a great deal.

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2012, 11:20:56 PM »
.....I'm on Juan's side 100 percent....

Hey Strotty, not to get all ethical on you, but as a former journalism major myself, how is it that you comment on this board in favor either way, while you are supposed to be covering the team as a reporter on paint touches?

I'm not calling you out at all, but just wondering if this is a guilty pleasure or you are in the clear to do this. Maybe ask Dr. Byers for his POV and get back to us.

feedback