'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Juan Anderson  (Read 15183 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Juan Anderson
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »
I am much more concerned about Jamail, but getting back to Juan.  Think you are spot on, his feet seem to be pretty good, and obviously has athleticism.  Currently reminds me of a young Joe Fulce type where he grab rebounds, hopefully hit the occasional open 16 footer.  Thing to remember Juan is 18, a full year younger than anyone on the team, and he missed 3 games, so at this point, I can let it slide.

I am more concerned with Junior.  WTF was that last night?  Bad, bad decisions with the ball.  Juan to me has the deer in the headlights look similar to E Will.  He wants to do what is right, but doesn't quite have a feel for it yet.  We could certainly use a Fulce like performance from him sometime this season. ~ 2 pts. 5 boards would do just fine.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
Not concerned about him at all.   he is a Freshman that missed huge ly importnat parts of his Fresman year.

Currently he is over his head and playing with no confidence and after a spring time and summer and fall of individual workouts and weigh lifting I expect a huge step forward in his contributions.

remebers Al's saying on Freshman....

Jamail is another story....

Seems Buzz is going to give 5-10 minutes a game to either Juan or Jamial to sub Jamil if he can afford too.  The way they both played last night a dead tired Jamil is 1000X better.

My feelings on Juan are stated above.

Jamail has looked terrible....simply terrible....even worse than JUan...

His defense last night was so horribly abyssmal that Buzz had to take him out immediately, but not before the 4 other guys on the team made mincemeat out of the SHU zone to deliver Jamial a wide open bounce pass on the block, unguarded and he fumbled it out of bounds.  Simply terrible.  I want all these kids to acheive great success but have to seriously wonder if Jamial is not seriously over his head.  Seems to have the athleticism but not sure he has the mentality to play at this level.  

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »
Now we have nothing be3tter to do than to complain about how a freshman has not met OUR sacred and very self important expectations? Please.

Warriors 79

• Scholarship Player
  • The only hotter lady is my wife....
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 02:09:07 PM »

Seems Buzz is going to give 5-10 minutes a game to either Juan or Jamial to sub Jamil if he can afford too.  The way they both played last night a dead tired Jamil is 1000X better.

His defense last night was so horribly abyssmal that Buzz had to take him out immediately, but not before the 4 other guys on the team made mincemeat out of the SHU zone to deliver Jamial a wide open bounce pass on the block, unguarded and he fumbled it out of bounds.  Simply terrible.  I want all these kids to acheive great success but have to seriously wonder if Jamial is not seriously over his head.  Seems to have the athleticism but not sure he has the mentality to play at this level.  

+1000   patience with Juan, don't know what to do about JJ...
"I went into a restaurant one night and ordered lobster, and the waiter brought me one with a claw missing. He told me that in the back there's a tank they keep the lobsters in and while they're in there, they fight and sometimes one loses a claw. I told him to bring me a winner."  Al McGuire

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 02:12:21 PM »
I am more concerned with Junior.  WTF was that last night?  Bad, bad decisions with the ball.  Juan to me has the deer in the headlights look similar to E Will.  He wants to do what is right, but doesn't quite have a feel for it yet.  We could certainly use a Fulce like performance from him sometime this season. ~ 2 pts. 5 boards would do just fine.

correct Junior and VAnder were brutally terrible last night in the first half...almost solely the cuase for our terrible half.

Thankfully they were both very good in the second and a huge cause for how well we played.

Junior has been mind numbingly inconsistant, and when he is bad we are terrible.  Unfortunately he has been terrible for big portions of our last two games.  Fortunately he had good stretches and we were able to overcome it.  

No way tho that we beat the top teams with bad Junior out there.  Need needs to become much more consistant if this team is to acheive anything of significance.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 02:15:40 PM »

Jones played a whopping 2 minutes last night. I can provide 2 minutes of horrible play from Cadougan, DJO, Crowder, Mayo, Blue and J Wilson last night too. The difference is, as always, those guys stay on the court for the game and have good moments that make up for their bonehead plays.

Buzz tends to only play 7 guys, sometimes 8 in BE play. That rotation will most likely be DJO, Crowder, Blue, Cadougan, Mayo, J Wilson and D Wilson now that both DG and CO are out. Jones and Anderson will get 2-5 minutes a game, probably with no more than a minute or two at a time. That lack of consistent playing time does not help them develop.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
Someone mentioned that he just started playing basketball his freshman year.

Additionally, I believe he was a guard until his junior year when he hit a huge growth spurt to make him a 3.

Now he actually has to play at the 4 with CO out let alone with DG out as well.

That is a lot of learning for a freshman at a high major D-1.  I've seen enough to think he will be good as a junior and great as a senior so I saw patience my young padawan.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »
Sorry Norm you are dead wrong....

and while Juan and JAmail were only terrible for 2 minutes that accounted for 100% of time they were out there and that has been true for the last number of weeks.  

They other guys at least do good things some of the time... in most cases far more good than bad.

bench players need to earn opportunitiess, they are not given and they are earned in practice.

Opportunities earned in practice are then taken advantage of or blown in games.  For example, this year Mayo earned opportunities to play and through his play forced the coach to play him more. so did JWilson. Devante did the same thinglast year.  

Juan and Jamail have earned what they are getting in practice or through injuries but when they have been given the opportunity to play have convinced the coaching staff of why they should not be in there.  

people that say players need playing time to prove them selves is probably the stupidest statement in all of sports.  

You honestly beleive afew more minutes of game time will allow a bench player to show a coach something different than what he sees 20 hours a week in practice?

DUMB!!

What they have actually done is in a few minutes a game proven why that if they get any more than that we will lose the game.

Completely understandable and expected from Juan,  Todd and Derrick have been pleasant surprises.

Jamail is nearing the end of his sophomore season.....some times the dog just doesnt hunt?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:32:06 PM by Canadian Dimes »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 02:26:43 PM »
Jones played a whopping 2 minutes last night. I can provide 2 minutes of horrible play from Cadougan, DJO, Crowder, Mayo, Blue and J Wilson last night too. The difference is, as always, those guys stay on the court for the game and have good moments that make up for their bonehead plays.

Buzz tends to only play 7 guys, sometimes 8 in BE play. That rotation will most likely be DJO, Crowder, Blue, Cadougan, Mayo, J Wilson and D Wilson now that both DG and CO are out. Jones and Anderson will get 2-5 minutes a game, probably with no more than a minute or two at a time. That lack of consistent playing time does not help them develop.

Again, you don't earn playing time during games.  You earn it in practice.  No offense, but if Jones played 20 minutes last night, I doubt we get anything more than what we got in the two he did play.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 02:38:44 PM »
Juan and Jamail have earned what they are getting in practice or through injuries but when they have been given the opportunity to play have convinced the coaching staff of why they should not be in there.  

people that say players need playing time to prove them selves is probably the stupidest statement in all of sports.  

You honestly beleive afew more minutes of game time will allow a bench player to show a coach something different than what he sees 20 hours a week in practice?

DUMB!!

Is it just me, or is this remarkably inconsistent? Especially "you honestly believe a few more minutes of game time will allow a bench player to show a coach something different than what he sees 20 hours a week in practice"

You just noted above that Juan and Jamail evidently are performing well enough in practice to earn the in-game playing time. So actually when they come into games and don't perform, that would be something different than what they've been showing in practice, yes?

According to your logic, Juan and Jamil show they can't handle the PT either at practice or in the game. But you also acknowledge the fact that they must have been earning the PT with their practice performance. So really if they don't step up in games, that has nothing to do with, or at least is inconsistent with what they are doing in the games.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 02:39:08 PM »
I think JA will be a good player in the future. Hes still trying to find where he fits, and being a frosh so far from his roots has to be a big adjustment. I would be trying to get a guy with his skills at least 5 minutes of play every game.Buzz has said he goes hard. I was real happy MU signed him, I think hes just trying to hard

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »
More like we are going to need them on Saturday.

You can need them all you want. The skill set is just not there yet. Jones does not have high major ability. its his second year and he plays a minute. Enough said.

Juan is a freshman. I hope he gets better, but hope is not a strategy. He gets in, turns the ball over and out he goes. Everyone is hoping he can play, but it has yet to show up on the court. He gets the benfit of the doubt as a first year player.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 02:46:34 PM »
We may get a chance to see over the next few games.  His minutes last night were very limited.  What I'd like to see is a solid court presence for 8-10 minutes a game giving Wilson a rest.  He looked a tad nervous and out of control last night possibly because of the burden he now carries.  Let's see how Saturday and Monday work out as he relaxes just a bit.

If he can relax on Saturday, he must be comatose.  ND, a big rival, on the road, where they recently beat Syracuse.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »
Juan has nice tools.  He is just a young freshman who has only played limited minutes.   We need more, but it is not real likely he is going to have a breakout game down the stretch.   Hope I'm wrong.    JJones... this is it.   You've chafed waiting for playing time.    This is your big chance.   Cowboy up or you are going to miss it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 02:50:01 PM »
You just noted above that Juan and Jamail evidently are performing well enough in practice to earn the in-game playing time. So actually when they come into games and don't perform, that would be something different than what they've been showing in practice, yes?

According to your logic, Juan and Jamil show they can't handle the PT either at practice or in the game. But you also acknowledge the fact that they must have been earning the PT with their practice performance. So really if they don't step up in games, that has nothing to do with, or at least is inconsistent with what they are doing in the games.

But, Juan and Jamail are only playing because of the injuries to Otule and Gardner. If those two guys were healthy, neither Juan or Jamail would see the floor. They are playing right now only due to necessity.

Unfortunately, I have feeling that both Juan and Jamail struggle in practice as well. That's one the reasons why their minutes are so limited, even with the shorten rotation.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2012, 02:54:13 PM »
Complaining about a freshman? Really?

If this was a top 25 frosh who has a lot of playing time, then sure.

But not a freshman.
Seeing random minutes.
In one of the toughest, most physical leagues.

Be concerned with his play this time next season.

IMO, he's going to be a solid 4 year player with a breakout junior year and a solid senior campaign.
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »

Sorry Norm, but players earn a longer leash, and Jamail simply hasn't. Try an analogy from another sport - DJO has earned the right to be a starting pitcher. If he starts slowly, maybe gives up a two run homer in the first inning you still stick with him. Jamail barely made the staff. His job right now is to go in and get one guy out. If he can do that consistently, his role increases. If not, you find someone else to do his job.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 02:56:59 PM »
Sorry to have offended you Canadian Dimes.

My point is not that Jones or Anderson should be starting over any of the starters, and I'm not discounting earning playing time in practice. I was simply responding to people ripping on Jones for being terrible and pointing out that if you took a 2 minute snippet from Cadougan, DJO and others, they could look terrible too. When you barely get any playing time, your confidence gets sapped and you tend to press when you are in, knowing that if you make a mistake you are going to come out.

LON

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 03:05:04 PM »
You can need them all you want. The skill set is just not there yet. Jones does not have high major ability. its his second year and he plays a minute. Enough said.
Juan is a freshman. I hope he gets better, but hope is not a strategy. He gets in, turns the ball over and out he goes. Everyone is hoping he can play, but it has yet to show up on the court. He gets the benfit of the doubt as a first year player.

So he's Rob Frozena?  Really?

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »
Jimmy Butler was at a junior college his freshman year. Juan is fine.

Butler was not a highly regarded recruit like Juan...

LON

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2012, 03:09:49 PM »

And now he's an NBA player.

/now we both made equally pointless statements

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »
Geez, it is way too early for anything. Some expert can elaborate but I have seen on here about the learning curve from Frosh to Soph. Let him grow into it. He has been thrust into playing time that he might not be ready for.

Warrior3211

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2012, 03:10:37 PM »
I am much more concerned about Jamail, but getting back to Juan.  Think you are spot on, his feet seem to be pretty good, and obviously has athleticism.  Currently reminds me of a young Joe Fulce type where he grab rebounds, hopefully hit the occasional open 16 footer.  Thing to remember Juan is 18, a full year younger than anyone on the team, and he missed 3 games, so at this point, I can let it slide.

I agree that Jamail is the one to worry about. Juan hasn't gotten very many opportunities yet and I do agree that he's probably on a very short leash, but I was a little disappointed with Jamail against Seton Hall.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2012, 03:13:45 PM »

Out of HS, no.  But he sure was one after one year of JUCO.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »
Now we have nothing be3tter to do than to complain about how a freshman has not met OUR sacred and very self important expectations? Please.

Well, it's a bit better than the complaints about a signed recruit that no one has ever seen play, but has not met their "sacred and very self important expectations"!