'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024?  (Read 1021043 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 2/13/23?
« Reply #4850 on: February 13, 2023, 12:22:13 PM »
Should Bama be ahead of Houston?

If I was a voter I'd put Bama #1. I was surprised that Bama leapfrogged Houston. Interestingly, Houston had the same # of first place votes in this week's poll as last week's poll (22). It almost looks like every voter who had Purdue first last week changed their vote to Bama and none changed it to Houston. Doubt that's actually the case but thought it was interesting that Houston didn't pick up a single first place vote.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #4851 on: February 13, 2023, 12:40:41 PM »
Two questions about Bama now #1

When was the last time their basketball team was better than the football team?

And why doesn't this ever come up?
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/17/us/darius-miles-murder-charge-university-alabama-basketball-tuesday/index.html

January 17, 2023

After University of Alabama basketball player Darius Miles was charged with murder in the death of a 23-year-old mother and removed from the team, the victim’s loved ones say she was shot and killed when she declined a man trying to flirt with her.

Miles, 21, and Michael Lynn Davis, 20, were arrested and charged with capital murder in the shooting death of Jamea Jonae Harris near the university campus early Sunday, the Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit said.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4852 on: February 13, 2023, 12:42:32 PM »
Two questions about Bama now #1

When was the last time their basketball team was better than the football team?

And why doesn't this ever come up?
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/17/us/darius-miles-murder-charge-university-alabama-basketball-tuesday/index.html

January 17, 2023

After University of Alabama basketball player Darius Miles was charged with murder in the death of a 23-year-old mother and removed from the team, the victim’s loved ones say she was shot and killed when she declined a man trying to flirt with her.

Miles, 21, and Michael Lynn Davis, 20, were arrested and charged with capital murder in the shooting death of Jamea Jonae Harris near the university campus early Sunday, the Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit said.

It came up plenty. It was all over Reddit. He is no longer on the team. He is charged and will face justice. What else do you want Bama to do about it?

Not that it excuses anything, but he didn't fire the gun. He was driving the car.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #4853 on: February 13, 2023, 12:44:30 PM »
It came up plenty. It was all over Reddit. He is no longer on the team. What else do you want Bama to do about it?

Earlier today

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/new-mexico-state-cancels-mens-basketball-season-rcna70331

New Mexico State University’s men’s basketball season came to an abrupt halt Sunday after the release of a police report that detailed three players ganging up on a teammate and attacking him in a case that includes allegations of false imprisonment, harassment and criminal sexual contact.

“It’s time for this program to reset,” chancellor Dan Arvizu said in the statement that announced the end of the season.

---

So being mean to team-mates is worse then murdering a young mother?

Got it.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4854 on: February 13, 2023, 12:48:10 PM »
Earlier today

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/new-mexico-state-cancels-mens-basketball-season-rcna70331

New Mexico State University’s men’s basketball season came to an abrupt halt Sunday after the release of a police report that detailed three players ganging up on a teammate and attacking him in a case that includes allegations of false imprisonment, harassment and criminal sexual contact.

“It’s time for this program to reset,” chancellor Dan Arvizu said in the statement that announced the end of the season.

---

Got it.

When did I say that?

There are significant differences between the two situations.  One happened off campus, not during an official team function.  The other happened during team practices, on trips, in team hotels, in locker rooms, etc. NMSU decided to shut down its own program. Not the NCAA. I agree with their decision. But are you saying you think the NCAA should suspend the Bama program because of the crimes of one of its former players, which did not happen during any university sanctioned activity? Not sure I agree with that.

Hazing is more than just "being mean." Word on the street is that this involved some pretty messed up deviant stuff, including imprisonment and stuff of an involuntary sexual nature.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4855 on: February 13, 2023, 12:49:06 PM »
Earlier today

---

Got it.

First, what you meant to say was "sexually assaulting a teammate" not "being mean". Second, one happened outside the context of the team. One happened inside the context of the team. One appears to be episodic, the other systemic.

The cynic in me also says that if New Mexico State was first place in their conference and heading for an NCAAT bid they proably would have just suspended the students involved and kept the season going.
TAMU

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #4856 on: February 13, 2023, 12:59:11 PM »
Earlier today

---

Got it.

What an odd, convoluted hill to die on.

You also forgot your outrage for the earlier part where coaches helped hide a gun for a NM state player that shot someone.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4857 on: February 13, 2023, 01:01:02 PM »
So NmSU & Bama r tied for murders this season?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #4858 on: February 13, 2023, 01:18:53 PM »
Good grief - how many threads have been taken over by this topic - it was wrong, so can we move on?  👀

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #4859 on: February 13, 2023, 01:24:46 PM »
Good grief - how many threads have been taken over by this topic - it was wrong, so can we move on?  👀

100%
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4860 on: February 13, 2023, 02:23:54 PM »
Heise's been on one lately.  Can always tell when he's not getting enough attention.  Will make himself look foolish just for the shock value clicks it brings his posts.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4861 on: February 14, 2023, 07:17:02 AM »
Should Bama be ahead of Houston?

Sure. Unlike Houston, Bama plays in a real conference with at least one difficult game every week. Bama plays the 7th toughest schedule in the nation (per kenpom), while Houston's SOS is 141st.

Oh, and Bama won at Houston - a head-to-head matchup on the road.

When Marquette's in the Final Four, I'd rather face Houston than Alabama.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4862 on: February 14, 2023, 08:13:26 AM »
Sure. Unlike Houston, Bama plays in a real conference with at least one difficult game every week. Bama plays the 7th toughest schedule in the nation (per kenpom), while Houston's SOS is 141st.

Oh, and Bama won at Houston - a head-to-head matchup on the road.

When Marquette's in the Final Four, I'd rather face Houston than Alabama.

What makes you think Alabama or Houston will be in the Final Four? Why not UCONN, X and Creighton: an all Big East Final 4. Think Big, no teal needed.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #4863 on: February 14, 2023, 08:14:10 AM »
What makes you think Alabama or Houston will be in the Final Four? Why not UCONN, X and Creighton: an all Big East Final 4. Think Big, no teal needed.

Honestly, it’s possible
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4864 on: February 14, 2023, 08:40:23 AM »

As Rico said, the funny thing is theres a super strong chance that when the bracket is announced it will be possible that 4 BE teams make the final 4.

Since we the league may control the 4/5 line.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #4865 on: February 14, 2023, 08:44:27 AM »
As Rico said, the funny thing is theres a super strong chance that when the bracket is announced it will be possible that 4 BE teams make the final 4.

Since we the league may control the 4/5 line.

All top 4 Big East teams are capable of Final 4 runs with UConn still profiling as a national title contender.

I shouldn’t say X has a profile of a Final 4 team.  As of now, the defense isn’t nearly good enough.  However, the eye test tells me they can definitely make a run next month.  They’ll have to be much better on defense to make a deep run, however

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #4866 on: February 14, 2023, 08:52:48 AM »

Creighton (with Kalkbrenner back) and UConn both profile as teams that should have Final Four aspirations.  Xavier could get there, but I don't think the defense is strong enough.  Marquette likewise doesn't have a strong enough defense, but I think the STYLE of play we run could benefit us in March.  I think we're a hard team to prepare for in just a day or two, given the active hands on defense and the outrageous passing of Kolek and others.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #4867 on: February 14, 2023, 09:04:17 AM »
Creighton (with Kalkbrenner back) and UConn both profile as teams that should have Final Four aspirations.  Xavier could get there, but I don't think the defense is strong enough.  Marquette likewise doesn't have a strong enough defense, but I think the STYLE of play we run could benefit us in March.  I think we're a hard team to prepare for in just a day or two, given the active hands on defense and the outrageous passing of Kolek and others.

I could be way off-base but I’m more bullish on offensive teams in March than defensive oriented teams. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4868 on: February 14, 2023, 09:37:38 AM »
Heise's been on one lately.  Can always tell when he's not getting enough attention.  Will make himself look foolish just for the shock value clicks it brings his posts.

Tell me more about how clicks and views enhances one's MUScoop clout.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 2/20/23?
« Reply #4869 on: February 18, 2023, 02:27:37 PM »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4870 on: February 18, 2023, 03:59:53 PM »
Goal is National Championship

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4871 on: February 18, 2023, 05:09:52 PM »
I could be way off-base but I’m more bullish on offensive teams in March than defensive oriented teams.

I’m more bullish on older teams with several players who have played together for a few years and have some tournament experience.

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #4872 on: February 18, 2023, 07:19:50 PM »
9th.  Jump Tennessee and Baylor.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4873 on: February 18, 2023, 09:04:42 PM »
Guess for Monday:

1. Houston (assuming a win vs. Memphis tomorrow)
2. Alabama
3. Kansas
4. UCLA (assuming a win vs. Cal tonight)
5. Arizona
6. Purdue (assuming a win vs. Ohio St. tomorrow)
7. Texas
8. Virginia
9. Baylor
10. Tennessee
11. Marquette

I know the #6, #9, and #10 teams all lost and the #7 team beat Louisville and Notre Dame by 5 points...but I don't think Marquette moves up this week. I don't think Baylor will get punished for losing to a projected 1 seed on the road (even in spectacular fashion) and I think Tennessee knocking off the projected #1 overall seed will make up for their road loss to Kentucky. Texas and Virginia deserve to drop after subpar performances but I don't think they will. Despite not moving up, I think the voting gap between Marquette and #s 7-10 will get smaller. If Purdue loses tomorrow, I think they are still above us, but it will be a mess from #6 to #13 (I think Gonzaga and Miami will be close behind us).
TAMU

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4874 on: February 19, 2023, 11:21:11 PM »
Borges-14th to 12th
VIOLENCE!