'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024?  (Read 1030100 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 2/20/23?
« Reply #4900 on: February 20, 2023, 11:30:42 AM »
Last week, there were nine voters who didn't rank MU in the top 15. This week there are only five who didn't rank MU in the top 12. That's actually pretty good progress.

Also, when MU was No. 10 previously, they were more than 1000 points behind No. 9. Only 45 points back from No. 9 now.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4901 on: February 20, 2023, 11:34:34 AM »
A loss at Creighton is not going to hurt the resume.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4902 on: February 20, 2023, 11:42:35 AM »

Agreed. It’s going to hurt our ability to jump teams, but I don’t see it lowering our seed.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4903 on: February 20, 2023, 11:43:26 AM »

Yep. Lose tomorrow, win the final 3, I’d be shocked if we weren’t a 4 seed. Could sneak into a 3 if a lot breaks the right away, but probably not.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4904 on: February 20, 2023, 11:43:30 AM »
And then Xavier went over to the side to call timeout and Stevie was still jawing at Boum.     Stevie.    Was.    Still.    Jawing.   at.   Boum.        Stevie.

I think on that one Stevie took a swipe at the ball and might have hit Boum in the face as he called timeout. They might have even reviewed it.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #4905 on: February 20, 2023, 11:57:00 AM »

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4906 on: February 20, 2023, 11:57:11 AM »

It may not exactly hurt the resume, but it opens the door for some teams currently right below MU to pass them from behind by picking up quality wins while MU plays 3 games that offer only downside potential.

IMHO a loss to Creighton puts MU very close to the 4/5 dividing line now that we know the Selection Committee had them at 14 on the seed list sometime last week when several bracketologists had them as a 3 seed.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #4908 on: February 20, 2023, 11:59:37 AM »
Marquette Is #9 In USA Today Coaches Poll

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4909 on: February 20, 2023, 12:01:35 PM »
Whoa gang!

Let’s not worry about rankings. Don’t want that in our guys’ heads as they battle Farmer Bluejay tomorrow night!

I want the F@@k ‘em mentality that comes from being unrecognized. That boat may have sailed but the attitude shouldn’t.

This is silly. Being ranked won't be "in our guys' heads" during the game tomorrow. It doesn't affect the team at all -- it's a conversation starter for fans. Shaka has a bazillion ways to get their attention -- hell, he can keep going back to being picked 9th in the BEast preseason polls by the coaches. And he just got a great chip in not being a 3 seed in the bracket reveal. And he even can use the rankings.

"The polls might say we're top 10, and we know we're good, but a lot of America doesn't respect us. I mean, Baylor is still ranked ahead of us. Baylor! We effen destroyed them but they still get more respect that we do! Most of the coaches in this conference thought we were garbage before the season, and I'm sure most of them probably still do. Wouldn't be surprised if McDermott is one of 'em. And the NCAA tournament committee obviously doesn't respect what we've accomplished, so we have to accomplish even more. F%ck 'em!"

It's nice for fans that we're viewed by many as a top-10 program. But I doubt it changes our players' "f%ck 'em" attitude one iota.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4910 on: February 20, 2023, 12:05:42 PM »
It may not exactly hurt the resume, but it opens the door for some teams currently right below MU to pass them from behind by picking up quality wins while MU plays 3 games that offer only downside potential.

IMHO a loss to Creighton puts MU very close to the 4/5 dividing line now that we know the Selection Committee had them at 14 on the seed list sometime last week when several bracketologists had them as a 3 seed.

I think we should take the Saturday reveal with a grain of salt unless they say results after Tuesday night were included. Based on the timeline, it sounds like Wednesday morning was when this was finished. We could be on the 3/4 line right now.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #4911 on: February 20, 2023, 12:27:14 PM »
Last week, there were nine voters who didn't rank MU in the top 15. This week there are only five who didn't rank MU in the top 12. That's actually pretty good progress.

Also, when MU was No. 10 previously, they were more than 1000 points behind No. 9. Only 45 points back from No. 9 now.

all the voters were waiting for the big reveal show, apparently....

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4912 on: February 20, 2023, 12:37:07 PM »
love that so much
I know someone who loved it more  ;D
Goal is National Championship

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #4913 on: February 20, 2023, 12:44:03 PM »
oh boy

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #4914 on: February 20, 2023, 12:45:36 PM »
I’m feeling good about tomorrow.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #4915 on: February 20, 2023, 12:53:40 PM »
I think we should take the Saturday reveal with a grain of salt unless they say results after Tuesday night were included. Based on the timeline, it sounds like Wednesday morning was when this was finished. We could be on the 3/4 line right now.

That's why I said "sometime last week".

At this stage of the season I don't think there is that much movement from one game to the next. The Bracketologists like to tinker to generate interest from their followers, but the Selection Committee will revisit everything two weeks from now to see what has changed. If MU moved ahead of teams like Indiana and Iowa State between Wednesday and Saturday, they could fall back behind them very quickly, and be passed by Creighton and others, if they lose to Creighton while those other teams are picking up quality wins.

Anyone who had MU as a 3 seed anytime before Wednesday was obviously rating MU a little higher than the Selection Committee was.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #4916 on: February 20, 2023, 01:09:27 PM »

KSt, Iowa St, and Indiana were directly ahead of MU, while Gonzaga, X were behind MU.

The committee said that the first two 5s were Creighton and UConn.

So, if Wednesdays games weren’t included then MU gets a little bump with their win over X and Indianas loss at NW. If Creighton beats Marquette they will likely slide into that spot occupied by X for the time being.

All that said, it actually seems quite simple in a sense that 4 BE teams are grouped together in that 4/5 region- MU, X, Creighton, UConn.

So, Marquette can lose fairly close and still stay ahead of Creighton and solidly on the 4 line imo.
If they win, up to 3.
If they get blown out, Creighton might jump Marquette but MU still likely retains a 4.

Stay ahead of the pecking order in the BE and hope for KSt, Iowa St, IU, and Gonzaga stumbles somewhere along the way. Maybe get lucky and get Virginia or Tennessee to stumble because they haven’t been rock solid lately either

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4917 on: February 20, 2023, 01:42:59 PM »
If we didn’t lose to PC in 2OT and go from ranked to the back of the ORV line, we would be in the top 5 right now.

Eh...I get the thought process but I don't think so. We would have been higher sooner but I think the highest we would have been was 6th. AP voters tend to value overall W/L records more than other systems. The top 7 right now all have 5 or less losses with Kansas being the only exception with 5 losses (4 Q1A, 1 Q1B). If we had beaten Providence we would have 5 losses. Maybe we get ranked above 4-loss Virginia and Arizona but I don't think they would have put us above Purdue.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4918 on: February 20, 2023, 01:55:55 PM »
This is silly. Being ranked won't be "in our guys' heads" during the game tomorrow. It doesn't affect the team at all -- it's a conversation starter for fans. Shaka has a bazillion ways to get their attention -- hell, he can keep going back to being picked 9th in the BEast preseason polls by the coaches. And he just got a great chip in not being a 3 seed in the bracket reveal. And he even can use the rankings.

"The polls might say we're top 10, and we know we're good, but a lot of America doesn't respect us. I mean, Baylor is still ranked ahead of us. Baylor! We effen destroyed them but they still get more respect that we do! Most of the coaches in this conference thought we were garbage before the season, and I'm sure most of them probably still do. Wouldn't be surprised if McDermott is one of 'em. And the NCAA tournament committee obviously doesn't respect what we've accomplished, so we have to accomplish even more. F%ck 'em!"

It's nice for fans that we're viewed by many as a top-10 program. But I doubt it changes our players' "f%ck 'em" attitude one iota.

Brother MU:

I do hope you're right. The only thing I expect is that when they cut the nets down as Regional Champions and National Champions, they do it the Marquette way -- with a switchblade. Also be nice if they chased away the ladder and Oso puts Tyler on his shoulders.

I rather thought the 2003 team might have read their press clippings too much. After destroying Kentucky, they were blasted to kingdom come by Kansas. That made no sense to me. They were a good team that thought they could do anything.

The 2019 team may have suffered from the same thing.

In any event, we're going to have to play good teams no matter what our rank or seeding is. Here's to cutting nets down the Marquette Way!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4919 on: February 20, 2023, 02:29:56 PM »
Brother MU:

I do hope you're right. The only thing I expect is that when they cut the nets down as Regional Champions and National Champions, they do it the Marquette way -- with a switchblade. Also be nice if they chased away the ladder and Oso puts Tyler on his shoulders.

I rather thought the 2003 team might have read their press clippings too much. After destroying Kentucky, they were blasted to kingdom come by Kansas. That made no sense to me. They were a good team that thought they could do anything.

The 2019 team may have suffered from the same thing.

In any event, we're going to have to play good teams no matter what our rank or seeding is. Here's to cutting nets down the Marquette Way!

I think you give far too much power to "press clippings."

Maybe we can bring in Hologram Al and he'll punch the nets off the hoops.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #4920 on: February 21, 2023, 10:22:57 PM »
Climbing back up the Kenpom rankings to#10 after Creighton results are in. Onward and upward!

real chili 83

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 2/27/23?
« Reply #4921 on: February 25, 2023, 06:31:32 AM »
8th

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4922 on: February 25, 2023, 08:12:20 AM »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4923 on: February 25, 2023, 08:15:37 AM »
Newsie

Could we get some movement, even down a tick or two? It is hard to have any discussions if we are always 26.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4924 on: February 25, 2023, 08:26:56 AM »
Newsie

Could we get some movement, even down a tick or two? It is hard to have any discussions if we are always 26.