Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Do you have MLK day off?

Yes
58 (35.4%)
No
83 (50.6%)
I am a student/not employed
23 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: Do you have MLK day off?  (Read 11835 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Do you have MLK day off?
« on: August 31, 2011, 01:11:30 PM »
The Louisville @ Marquette game is at 2:30pm on MONDAY January 16th, ESPN.

Who has MLK day off, besides banks and government workers?

As a season ticket holder, that pisses me off.  A premier game, versus a top rival on a MONDAY AFTERNOON, where most non-students would need to take the day/afternoon off to see the game?  Are they nuts?

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
Re: Do you have MLK day off?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »
Agreed, this is absolutely absurd. Only 30% of companies nationwide give some or all of their employees MLK day off. The fan (and student, more than likely) representation is going to be atrocious for a nationally televised game.

greenman

• Starter
  • 4,000 MU Fans on WI. AVE after Kentucky in elite 8
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:28:55 PM »
Does your company offer any flex time? Could you make up the hours later in the week and still make it to the Monday game?

I think that's how I am going to handle it.
"I don't give a damn if he can't do nothing else. He can shoot, and I love the way he shoots. I don't care if he can't dribble, can't rebound, can't play defense... that kid can shoot the ball." - Tracy McGrady on Steve Novak

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »
hilltopper, as a government employee who is seriously thinking about a trip to Milwaukee for that game, I would buy your tickets from you at a reasonable price.  I'm serious about the offer BTW.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 01:34:17 PM »
I will be taking MLK day off.  One advantage of working for yourself.... I just decided that MLK day in 2012 is a holiday at my office. The employees will be happy.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 01:37:21 PM »
Marquette is closed as a university. It's a paid holiday.
Why in the world wouldn't Marquette want to be on Big Monday? Are you nuts?
Don't you guys at your job have vacation days?   ?-(
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »
Marquette is closed as a university. It's a paid holiday.
Why in the world wouldn't Marquette want to be on Big Monday? Are you nuts?
Don't you guys at your job have vacation days?   ?-(

This. A lot of companies may not give the day off, but pretty much every school does, and it is College Basketball, not Alumni Basketball after all.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:46:05 PM »
This. A lot of companies may not give the day off, but pretty much every school does, and it is College Basketball, not Alumni Basketball after all.
You use me as a quote but what does college baketball mean with alumni basketball? I don't get your point, other than many MU fans are not alumni. Than, I get your point.

Bottomline, you guys have over 4 months to take off for this game.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 01:46:12 PM »
Sultan - thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind once this game/time is confirmed.   My wife said "Oh, that's so stupid it can't be right, it's got to be a mis-print."

Truth is, there will be THOUSANDS of angry season ticket holders who will be looking to dump their tickets.

It's one thing to schedule Northern South Dakota Tech on that day .. but Louisville?   Really pissed to lose perhaps the top home game of the year due to ESPN bullcrap scheduling, and Marquette's acquiescence.    

Oh, boy, it's Big Monday!  It's 2:30pm on a workday, no one will be watching the game!!!   Sure, it's "College" Basketball.  You think the advertisers are pleased that 75% of their regular audience will be at work, not watching?

Insane.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »
Does your company offer any flex time? Could you make up the hours later in the week and still make it to the Monday game?

I think that's how I am going to handle it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 01:48:03 PM »
Fires don't take the day off.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 01:49:55 PM »

Truth is, there will be THOUSANDS of angry season ticket holders who will be looking to dump their tickets.

and no market to dump them off to

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 01:51:40 PM »
Sultan - thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind once this game/time is confirmed.   My wife said "Oh, that's so stupid it can't be right, it's got to be a mis-print."

It's one thing to schedule Northern South Dakota Tech on that day .. but Louisville?   Really pissed to lose perhaps the top home game of the year due to ESPN bullcrap scheduling, and Marquette's acquiescence.    

Oh, boy, it's Big Monday!  It's 2:30pm on a workday, no one will be watching the game!!!   Sure, it's "College" Basketball.  You think the advertisers are pleased that 75% of their regular audience will be at work, not watching?

Insane.

www.whitewhine.com

I'll bet there's a reason they do this hoops marathon on MLK day, and it's because there are plenty of people at home watching.  I personally can't wait for a good excuse to leave work early or take the day off to watch us beat Looey-ville.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 01:55:42 PM »
Looking for tickets to MU v. Louisville.  Any sellers?   ;D

smrunner99

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 01:57:09 PM »
so alumni get mad when students don't take a night off and come to a game but when the alumni have to take a vacation day they get upset?  Seems about par for this board. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 02:01:25 PM »
so alumni get mad when students don't take a night off and come to a game but when the alumni have to take a vacation day they get upset?  Seems about par for this board. 

This is an incredibly valid point.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »
I would never ask a student to skip class -- or skip work -- to attend a game.   HUGE difference.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 02:07:13 PM »

Insane.
You sound like a baby! Take the day off!!
Ya, it's Big Monday
-Bill Walton

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 02:11:34 PM »
Yup, i guess I will have to take this off!

GOO

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »
For every upset Almuni with tickets, I bet there are 10 saying cool, an afternoon game on a Monday - a good reason to take off work.  I for one think it is cool, and I bet that a lot of high school ballers will be at home watching this game.  Cool!!  This will be a great way to celebrate MLK day... better than working, that is for sure.

If you can't get off of work for the game, sell your tickets or give them to a buddy.  No different than if you had another conflict for a game.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 02:21:57 PM »
I am super excited this game is on MLK day.  Being a federal employee, I have off this day.  I will be flying out on Friday, watching the Pitt game Saturday, and sticking around until Monday to catch the Louisville game before flying home.  This is great!

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »
You need to add a category of :  Self-employed, I can make my own schedule.

Seriously, if anyone cant get off work and has really really good tickets let me know.

Additonally, if you are a graduate of Marquette University and cannot get off of work for a particular day, especially with 3 months notice then you have wasted your degreee and should look for better employment.  Period.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 02:40:22 PM »
Additonally, if you are a graduate of Marquette University and cannot get off of work for a particular day, especially with 3 months notice then you have wasted your degreee and should look for better employment.  Period.

This.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 02:41:11 PM »
The first day of classes for the spring semester is on the 17th. I'm guessing that student attendance will be down as well, unfortunately.

Still, I don't mind this game too much. Better than playing at 2 am during ESPN's annual marathon.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
It's over 4 1/2 months away. Where is all the people that take days off for Brewers day games at Miller Park or take off for the ncaa toury.  :P
-Bill Walton

feedback