Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Do you have MLK day off?

Yes
58 (35.4%)
No
83 (50.6%)
I am a student/not employed
23 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: Do you have MLK day off?  (Read 11833 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Do you have MLK day off?
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »
Your article was an interesting read that had absolutely nothing to do with your comment.  If that is the support you use for your statements, you may want to rethink things in the future.

So the last survey available, from the Bureau of National Affairs, states that 33% of employers give MLK day off of work and that's not good support for my statement?  I'll admit that "30% full" is a bit of hyperbole, but for Marquette to expect 70% of their non-student fans to take a day of PTO to go to a basketball game is ridiculous.  And how much national exposure is there for a game that's on at noon on a weekday?  It's telling that your argument is "No, you're wrong" instead of bringing anything to the table.

Here is a tip for you. Stay home, don't go to the game.  That will show MU and maybe get you 1 seat closer to your 30% prediction.   :o

It's obvious that you're exceptionally confused about what we're even talking about here. ;)

Edit:   I really don't care that much, and it's super easy for me to wander over to the BC from work.  I suppose I'm just arguing on the Internet because I'm bored.  Sorry about that, but thanks for killing a little time for me :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:52:55 PM by Skatastrophy »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2011, 09:02:58 PM »
So the last survey available, from the Bureau of National Affairs, states that 33% of employers give MLK day off of work and that's not good support for my statement?  I'll admit that "30% full" is a bit of hyperbole, but for Marquette to expect 70% of their non-student fans to take a day of PTO to go to a basketball game is ridiculous.  And how much national exposure is there for a game that's on at noon on a weekday?  It's telling that your argument is "No, you're wrong" instead of bringing anything to the table.

I was not the one who cited a stat.  I never stated “no, you’re wrong” as you inappropriately quoted.  I did ask you to back up your stat.  The link you showed, as I mentioned, was interesting.  In no way, though, did it apply to attending a MU game or any sporting event on that day.  I fall into the 70%.  I have 3 choices – take the day off, take a client or not go.  If I choose the latter, that is 4 more that go toward your 70% "factually proven statistic".

It's obvious that you're exceptionally confused about what we're even talking about here. ;)

No, I am not confused.  You seem to be, though.  Although your admission of arguing because you are bored is telling.  You were defending chico’s admonishment of MU’s administration for scheduling the game.  Afterall, that was the post you quoted and argued against.  Not sure you addressed it very appropriately, so again, who is the one confused?
As you are bored, have at the last response.  Take chico’s side.  I think it is silly to admonish the administration for the timing and scheduling of a BE game that is nationally televised.  You and chico’s think differently.  That is what makes the world fun and entertaining.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »
factually proven statistic

It's both telling, and manly of you to agree with me after all this time.

In all seriousness though, Marquette season ticket holders aren't all as fortunate as I am.  Anyone assuming that we can give the team a rocking home arena on a day where 70% of our fans will have to make special arrangements is a risk. 

No, I am not confused.  You seem to be, though.  Although your admission of arguing because you are bored is telling.  You were defending chico’s admonishment of MU’s administration for scheduling the game.  Afterall, that was the post you quoted and argued against.  Not sure you addressed it very appropriately, so again, who is the one confused?

That would be you; suggesting that I stay home as opposed to being at work, which was the subject of this discussion.  It may be semantics, but you stated, "Stay home, don't go to the game."

I think it is silly to admonish the administration for the timing and scheduling of a BE game that is nationally televised.  You and chico’s think differently.  That is what makes the world fun and entertaining.

I honestly do think it stinks that I have to take off of work to attend a home MU game.  Is there real value in being on ESPN?  Yes.  Is there real value on playing a game on Big Monday?  Yes.  Is there a risk in scheduling a game against L'ville, a very tough opponent, at a time where it will be challenging to get a loud, packed house?  Yes.

I'd say my gripe against the scheduling is at about the same level as when we schedule a team like UW-Madison during exam week.  Is it the worst scheduling decision in the world?  Not at all.  Do I wish it were on a Saturday evening during the semester?  Absolutely!

And yeah, I guess I agree with Chicos.  Just because he doesn't always approach subjects with humility and tact doesn't mean that he's wrong 100% of the time.  That being said; I don't have anything wrong with the administration.  I don't know anything about their job or scheduling.  That being said, I don't see why it pisses off so many of our homer fans to gripe about a scheduling decision that makes it a PITA for me to go to a MU home game.  I don't complain about the weekday 6pm games which are a PITA to get to on time.  I would guess that the MU administration was expecting to hear a little noise from this one.

Either way; Go MU! :)

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2011, 07:34:36 PM »
Long way from MKE - will move my work from the PM to the AM and not miss a minute on TV. Got to admit I sympathize with people who have tix who are up against it that day. Like the concept of the MKE weekend and if I can work it out, will consider it.
Good news out here in the east is, I've moved things to get to the Jimmy V
(niece in NYC is a Nova grad) and the PC and Uconn games are both Saturdays, which makes life easier.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2011, 02:42:40 PM »
Some are coming up with these numbers 70%/30%. How does anyone other than MU know where our season-ticket base comes from. How do we not know maybe over 50% is staff.  :-\
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2011, 03:41:50 PM »
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to be 'that guy' in this thread.

+1

feedback