Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Do you have MLK day off?

Yes
58 (35.4%)
No
83 (50.6%)
I am a student/not employed
23 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Author Topic: Do you have MLK day off?  (Read 11837 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Do you have MLK day off?
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2011, 08:02:01 AM »
It's impossible not to schedule classes on Monday while taking a full load. The only day I was able to schedule off was two semesters of no Friday classes (even with 18 credits once).

And don't you people get paid vaca at your work? Just take a half day, work 7-11, go catch the game. Taking 4 hours of your paid vacation won't screw up those travel plans too much down the line.

No it's not. I did it one semester. 3 Tue/Thu classes. 1 Tue night class. 1 Wed night class. Not the easiest thing to do, I had 4 day weekends. I just used Monday & Wednesday as full study days and never had to study Fri-Sun. Ended up w/ a 3.5 or something.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2011, 08:33:44 AM »
I also did it, 3 classes on Tues/Thurs, plus one internship (3 credits) = 12 credits, full-time and no classes on Mon, Wed, or Fri.  Of course that was senior year and was well ahead in number of classes I actually needed to take.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2011, 09:13:05 AM »
I also did it, 3 classes on Tues/Thurs, plus one internship (3 credits) = 12 credits, full-time and no classes on Mon, Wed, or Fri.  Of course that was senior year and was well ahead in number of classes I actually needed to take.

I refuse to acknowledge this as a 'full load'.  I get it that you may be classified as 'full-time' under a definition used for limited purposes, but unless you've got at least 15 credits (which is still a tiny amount and weak), you're not full-time in my book.  "Taking a full-load" is a phrase that should only be used when describing kids taking at least 18 credits or doing what ZFB does for 'fun'.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2011, 09:18:41 AM »
I also did it, 3 classes on Tues/Thurs, plus one internship (3 credits) = 12 credits, full-time and no classes on Mon, Wed, or Fri.  Of course that was senior year and was well ahead in number of classes I actually needed to take.

My entire senior year I took 5 classes during the day on Tuesday and Thursday and one night class on Tuesday and Thursday. Those are rough days and it can be hard to fit required classes for your major in there sometimes but it definitely can be done.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »
I refuse to acknowledge this as a 'full load'.  I get it that you may be classified as 'full-time' under a definition used for limited purposes, but unless you've got at least 15 credits (which is still a tiny amount and weak), you're not full-time in my book.  "Taking a full-load" is a phrase that should only be used when describing kids taking at least 18 credits or doing what ZFB does for 'fun'.

Maybe for an undergrad.  For a grad student, 12 credits is a full load and 18 is fun only for the clinically insane.

(Yes... I know we weren't talking about grad students.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:08 AM »
Viewing the game has no bearing on the outcome whatsoever. I don't care if you watch it or not.

The observer effect would imply that by viewing the game, we do affect the outcome.  ;)
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2011, 10:38:10 AM »
Additionally, if you are a graduate of Marquette University and cannot get off of work for a particular day, especially with 3 months notice then you have wasted your degree and should look for better employment.  Period.

For those stupid people with a job in Finance (/raises own hand), its called year-end closing ... and it sucks.  So no not everyone can take off because they have vaca.

I vote to move the game to President's Day.  Who's with me?
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2011, 12:54:21 PM »

I am unaware of any other definition of a full-time student.  By the way, taking 15 credits each semester and one 3 credit class over the summer each year, puts you at 129 credits.  Which at least when I went meant you graduated.  Not sure if it changed now.  So those that "take a full-load" (your definition) should have some semesters with 12 and 15 credits.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »

Anything 12+ is a full load. If you're classed as a "full-time student" that's really all that matters  :-\
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2011, 01:15:41 PM »
I am unaware of any other definition of a full-time student.  By the way, taking 15 credits each semester and one 3 credit class over the summer each year, puts you at 129 credits.  Which at least when I went meant you graduated.  Not sure if it changed now.  So those that "take a full-load" (your definition) should have some semesters with 12 and 15 credits.

No - you're getting wrapped up in an institution's definition and requirements.  That's what I reject.  We're talking about a 'full load' in terms of having little free time or the inability to take Fridays off -- not about whether you meet the definition of a full-time student.   

I will not acknowledge an undergrad as having a 'full load' when they are not taking at least 15 credits. 

Maybe I'm a little more sensitive to it than others because I only took 2 summer classes and was enrolled as a full-time student for 7 semesters, but the cry of, "oh my goodness, I am so busy, I've got four 3-credit courses this semester" is ridiculous.  Unless you're also working full-time, I don't even understand why you'd only take 12 credits in a semester.  But, then again I don't really understand why people major in a lot of worthless areas of 'study'.

SUPER happy this game is in the afternoon on a Monday.  I wish they all were.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »
"Full-time" and "full-load" are not synonymous - of course, it varies by institution, but generally speaking:

"Full-time" - Attempting a minimum number of credits in a given grading period (semester, trimester, etc.).

"Full-load" - A full-time student who attempts the maximum number of credits allowable while still paying the base tuition rate for a full-time student.

"Maximum load" - The maximum credits a student is allowed to attempt in a given grading period without special approval.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2011, 06:36:16 PM »
"Full-load" - A full-time student who attempts the maximum number of credits allowable while still paying the base tuition rate for a full-time student.

"Maximum load" - The maximum credits a student is allowed to attempt in a given grading period without special approval.

"Full-load" - A night of drinking followed by Real Chilli

"Maximum load" - A night of drinking followed by the new Double Sobelman topped with Real Chilli

/corrected
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2011, 07:35:45 PM »

"Maximum load" - A night of drinking followed by the new Double Sobelman topped with Real Chilli

/corrected

New Double Sobelman?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »

/corrected

Full load - What I dropped on your mother last night.

BOOYA

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2011, 09:25:51 AM »

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2011, 12:02:50 PM »
I wouldn't even know how to look this up, but I assume we have to have one of--if not the--largest percentage of African-American students on our basketball roster for a team of any national prominence.  Maybe we should be happy those kids get a chance to be showcased on ESPN on a day honoring MLK.  The team could prepare a video of "What MLK means to me" clips to be played before the game, ESPN could do a Muhammad Ali/LVille/MLK segment at halftime, etc.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:18:18 PM by WI_inferiority_complexes »

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2011, 09:43:48 PM »
The Louisville @ Marquette game is at 2:30pm on MONDAY January 16th, ESPN.

Who has MLK day off, besides banks and government workers?

As a season ticket holder, that pisses me off.  A premier game, versus a top rival on a MONDAY AFTERNOON, where most non-students would need to take the day/afternoon off to see the game?  Are they nuts?

Why are you surprised by some of the things that come from our Athletic department or our university?  Haven't we all seen enough examples in the last two or three years to not be shocked by any of this?
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2011, 11:13:37 PM »
This full course load argument is stupid, drop it....unless you're all trying to be a bunch of argumentative Chicos emulators, in which case you're doing a great job.
And I agree, those who criticize students for not going to games and then complain about this scheduling are hypocrites.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Why are you surprised by some of the things that come from our Athletic department or our university?  Haven't we all seen enough examples in the last two or three years to not be shocked by any of this?

Well .. yes and no.  The AD makes a lot of good decisions, and some crappy ones. 

But yeah, point taken.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2011, 12:33:16 PM »
Yes, absolutely, our administration should refuse to accept a nationally televised game scheduled for a federal holiday by an outside entity.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »

Chico's, that may have been one of your most bizzare comments - and that's saying something!  If this were a game against UWM to be televised by Channel 32, you may be on to something.  But it's not.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »
Chico's, that may have been one of your most bizzare comments - and that's saying something!  If this were a game against UWM to be televised by Channel 32, you may be on to something.  But it's not.

So it'll be good for the university to have a marquee game on national television when the stadium is only 30% full?  I'd rather be on any other channel and have a rocking crowd sometime that isn't the early afternoon on a random hallmark-holiday weekday.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »
So it'll be good for the university to have a marquee game on national television when the stadium is only 30% full?  I'd rather be on any other channel and have a rocking crowd sometime that isn't the early afternoon on a random hallmark-holiday weekday.
Is this the argument you really wanted to make?  Really?

Your assumption of 30% full is based on what factual basis?  Further, you are you making the point that MU had the choice of channel and which "hallmark holiday weekend" they can play on?  This is a BE game, right?  Yeah, I bet the BE wanted MU to play the game on another day, different network and MU's Athletic Dept. said this was the only option they will take for this game.   ::)

Man, you some of you will p!ss and moan about anything.  A bunch of lemon suckers.

Yes, I will take the free advertisement, countless highlights and frequent mentions of MU with that comes with playing in that game.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 04:43:37 PM by MUMac »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2011, 04:53:54 PM »
Is this the argument you really wanted to make?  Really?

Your assumption of 30% full is based on what factual basis? 

http://www.hr.com/en/articles/more-employers-plan-to-observe-martin-luther-king-_ewr57jky.html

Further, you are you making the point that MU had the choice of channel and which "hallmark holiday weekend" they can play on? 

MLK day is a hallmark holiday, except they probably don't even make cards for it.

Man, you some of you will p!ss and moan about anything.  A bunch of lemon suckers.

You're right, we should schedule every game on Mondays at noon.  Sorry I got uppity.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2011, 05:15:59 PM »
http://www.hr.com/en/articles/more-employers-plan-to-observe-martin-luther-king-_ewr57jky.html

MLK day is a hallmark holiday, except they probably don't even make cards for it.

You're right, we should schedule every game on Mondays at noon.  Sorry I got uppity.

And then you add this? 

Your article was an interesting read that had absolutely nothing to do with your comment.  If that is the support you use for your statements, you may want to rethink things in the future.

As for your last comment, again, it is a nonsensical argument. 

Here is a tip for you. Stay home, don't go to the game.  That will show MU and maybe get you 1 seat closer to your 30% prediction.   :o