[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 803202 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2011, 10:51:15 AM »
Soccer America ran a piece entitled "Three Reasons Why the USA will Will the WC."  The three reasons being Wambach, Solo, and  bench strength.  I must disagree with their forecast, as I think Japan is absolutely the finest technical TEAM I have ever seen in women's soccer, and I think their possession skills, precise one-touch passing, and quickness will absolutely make a meal out of the USA's lumbering long ball offense.  I offer three reasons why the US will lose this game:  our #7, our #10, and our shaky back line.
Your points on Japan on paper strengths, and USA on paper weakness, esp on their lack of ball/pace control, are well taken. Its odd...but watching them (USA)play, this is a unique team in its calmness, fortitude...and in finding a way to win...despite all. Its an intangible, which may be the key, especially in the adrenalin of a champ game.
This seems to be a classic "thats why they play the game" contest, and I'll go with my gut...USA.

BTW, overlooked in the hype of Solo, Wambach and Cheney, will be the key midfield play of Houston's Rachel Buehler--she will offset Sawa, more than many realize.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:11:37 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
Hating on 'Merica? Terrorist.

I would hope not, my friend.  Both sides have incredible story lines. For openers, Hope Solo's odyssey to this point in her life, let alone her career, is the stuff of which legends are made.  Talk about overcoming incredible personal and family barriers, to become one of the finest goalkeepers in the world..  Yikes!  Then I look at the Japanese, and the turmoil their nation has undergone in the last five months.  What's not to like about their resiliency?  I really want both teams to win, but alas.....
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2011, 05:28:40 PM »
Very unfortunate ending, but you could sense when it went to PK's the girls were done.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »
Blew it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2011, 07:02:57 AM »
Very unfortunate ending, but you could sense when it went to PK's the girls were done.

Exactly right. It was almost exactly like the Brazil game. When that equalizer went in in extra time, you just knew that Japan had it (just like you knew the USA had the shootout against Brazil). Really crappy feeling. I was at Highbury watching, and the air just went out of the place when Japan scored their second. There was an AP photog there as well, unfortunately the only pics showing up are the ones of everyone looking depressed. But there was plenty of joy to go along with that depression, wish they showed that too.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2011, 07:20:00 AM »
Bummer.
I have watched Rachel Buehler play in most of her early soccer life, in Houston(she is my daughter, Rachel's age--they whupped us often, lol). Rachel B.  has been so talented, it seemed she could pull off anything she'd try.
Whether it was that hubris..overplaying to compensate for her red card sit out during france game, or just the adrenalin of the game...she knew better than to try to cross/clear in front of the goal...that ball shouldve been pushed off the end line. Tough mistake. I Agree it seemed to deflate us, and give Japan confidence/momentum.
Still an entertaining game.
Congrats to Japan...asia's first WC winner.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
It was a remarkable final. Had they won in penalties, it would have been talked about in the US for a long time.

A shame, but it was football karma US was dominated for 60 minutes by France and won. This time they dominated play and lost.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »
One of the more entertaining matches I've seen. And I must say, the lack of theatrics (relative to most men's matches) was quite refreshing.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2011, 11:37:38 AM »
Reinko---thanks again, from all of us,  for the permanent futbol thread..

..whenever the thread position begins to age and drop, any of us should post anything out there current on soccer news, to keep it near the top in superbar, as

...futbol deserves the similar revered status of the Beer thread, and of the NL central thread

reinko

• All American
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2011, 06:40:03 AM »
Reinko---thanks again, from all of us,  for the permanent futbol thread..

..whenever the thread position begins to age and drop, any of us should post anything out there current on soccer news, to keep it near the top in superbar, as

...futbol deserves the similar revered status of the Beer thread, and of the NL central thread

No doubt...

On the lighter side of things...involving both the MKE and futbol.

http://deadspin.com/5822884/radio-broadcaster-who-looks-freakishly-like-tim-howard-bumps-into-tim-howard

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2011, 02:13:10 PM »
One of the more entertaining matches I've seen. And I must say, the lack of theatrics (relative to most men's matches) was quite refreshing.

Amen. It's rare that you watch a game, especially of that magnitude, and aren't irritated at least a bit by time-wasting, diving, or bad officiating. As disappointing as the end result was, it was an excellent and undoubtedly fairly played match.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2011, 02:30:01 PM »
Soccer is terrible. Especially women's soccer. While I do admire their hard work and dedication, I could care less about that sport. For all of you who stick up for it, think before you speak. Apply all of those arguments you are going to make to the WNBA, NCAAWBB, and women's olympic basketball. I can wager that you do not feel the same about those sports as you do for the women's soccer team. The ONLY reason some of you watch it is becasue women socccer players are more attractive than the women basketball players. Don't get me wrong, I admire these women's hustle and dedication along with their patriotism. But oh man, is that soprt boring.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2011, 02:32:13 PM »
Also, I will now put the U.S. women's soccer team in my group of chokers. They missed what, three penalty kicks? Thats choking

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2011, 02:57:17 PM »
The great thing about the Internet is you never have a shortage of idiots. BRMU23, take your bow!

You may not appreciate the beautiful game, but I find it ironic any time someone calls the sport boring. Just goes to show they don't pay attention to what they watch. The same people call American football "exciting". Never mind that there are 40 seconds passing between 3-5 second gaps of actual action, and with commercials added in, you end up with less than 15 minutes of actual action in a 3-hour game, whereas soccer packs 90+ minutes of actual action into 2 hours.

Personally, I enjoy great competition, regardless of gender. I love watching Britney Griner because she's one of the most dominant basketball players I've ever seen. I don't watch any WNBA, but I don't watch much NBA either. I probably watched more NCAA WBB than I did NBA this past year, and it's not because I find Angel Robinson hot.

I watched the WWC because I love the game. I watched 1999 for the same reason. It's also why I watch the WC, EPL, Championship, La Liga, Seria A, and MLS. No, I don't watch much pro women's soccer, but I honestly have never seen a game on during my channel-flipping. And I loved watching Rapinoe and Wambach. How can that be? They're not hot.

Go back to the "excitement" of dull sports like American football and Baseball. Not our fault you can't keep up with a sport that has as many minutes of action as it has minutes played.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2011, 02:59:14 PM »
Soccer is terrible. Especially women's soccer. While I do admire their hard work and dedication, I could care less about that sport. For all of you who stick up for it, think before you speak. Apply all of those arguments you are going to make to the WNBA, NCAAWBB, and women's olympic basketball. I can wager that you do not feel the same about those sports as you do for the women's soccer team. The ONLY reason some of you watch it is becasue women socccer players are more attractive than the women basketball players. Don't get me wrong, I admire these women's hustle and dedication along with their patriotism. But oh man, is that soprt boring.

How original.  Now move along, I'm glad you wasted 3 minutes of your life typing that out and getting it off your chest.  Feel better?

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2011, 03:10:05 PM »
Who said anything about me liking American football? I'm a hockey fan. And also, I have watched professional "futbol" games in Rome and Madrid. Better than any soccer game you will find here. It’s not for me, I'm sorry. Brewcity, I guess I'm an idiot for having an opinion in a public forum. And how can you call it "action." It’s a bunch of sissies running around for over an hour with about 11 seconds of actual excitement. "I hurt my ankle, we need a rest, he was offsides, wah wah wah." If I want that, I'll babysit my nieces and nephews more. They also run around for hours without tiring. And Reinko, really? I'm unoriginal, ok. I'm sorry I can't be as original and clever as you. Someone of your brain function must find it a curse instead of a blessing because all of the ignorant people can't join you on your pedestal.  This is a public forum and that is my opinion. No one in America except a small minority talks about soccer when the world cup is not going on.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2011, 03:20:44 PM »
I love watching Britney Griner

WOW

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2011, 03:24:38 PM »
Soccer is the worst sport on the planet. No action, a bunch of bitching and fake injuries. what other sport would tolerate that many horribly fake injuries? America hates soccer, its a fact. every 4 years when the world cup rolls around everyone tries to act like they are big soccer fans. Soccer is nothing to get excited about.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2011, 03:25:08 PM »
And Reinko, really? I'm unoriginal, ok. I'm sorry I can't be as original and clever as you. Someone of your brain function must find it a curse instead of a blessing because all of the ignorant people can't join you on your pedestal.  This is a public forum and that is my opinion. No one in America except a small minority talks about soccer when the world cup is not going on.

Yes you are unoriginal.   You sound like every other person who hates on soccer, thus your arguments are unoriginal.  And yes, it is a curse.  And yes I like my pedestal, it's awesome up here.  

Truth, this is a public forum, and I never said you were not entitled to it, but what I find hard to grasp is the innate feeling some folks get when they see some like minded folks talking about something they care about in a positive way, in this case soccer, certain personalities feel the need to come in and blast away.  

And your original post was barely an opinion, it was a condemnation, and if anything you threw the first bomb by saying "think before you speak", how is that respecting someones opinion?  Now if you want to lay out the reasons why you think soccer is terrible, go right ahead.

If you have something truly to add to this conversation, we welcome it.  If not, get lost.  And if you want to just draw attention to yourself by posting crap like this because your real life is not fulfilling enough, thus you have escape to the internet to draw the ire of others, good luck in life my friend.  

reinko

• All American
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »
Soccer is the worst sport on the planet. No action, a bunch of bitching and fake injuries. what other sport would tolerate that many horribly fake injuries? America hates soccer, its a fact. every 4 years when the world cup rolls around everyone tries to act like they are big soccer fans. Soccer is nothing to get excited about.

Yeah no flopping in basketball or guys pretending to get hit by balls in baseball.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »
Yeah no flopping in basketball or guys pretending to get hit by balls in baseball.

There is no extra time added in either game. And you don't see guys pretending to be hit as much as those little girls fall down in soccer

reinko

• All American
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2011, 03:36:07 PM »
There is no extra time added in either game. And you don't see guys pretending to be hit as much as those little girls fall down in soccer

They fact about extra time, has nothing to do with argument.  Please explain.  And you realize extra time is also added for players delaying the game in other ways, balls out of bounds, arguing with the ref...

Prove the 2nd part.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2011, 03:38:30 PM »
Brewcity, your saying that you like watching womens sports better than the NFL? I have never once heard that from a human being before, much less an American. I'm not knocking you for your style, its just a little bizarre. Personally I think womens soccer is not entertaining at all and if we didn't make it to the World Cup finals then there would not have been a single thought of womens soccer enter my brain. Men's soccer on the other hand I do enjoy and try to follow it as much as I can, maybe 2014 will be our year...USA  USA USA

Bring back FFP!!!

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2011, 03:40:47 PM »
Its huge news when someone pretends to get hit in baseball when the ball doesn't touch them. Also, when a basketball player takes a charge, they don't writhe on the ground im agony, tears streaming down their face (well, everyon but Chris Bosh). And Reinko, the reason I bash that sport is becasue it sucks. My life is plenty fulfilling as well. The reason I post is because I busted my hump to get good grades at MU and now I havea cushy job which gives me free time. You guys may be right, I don't see the neauty of the game. You know what, I don't see the beauty in a chess match either. Its women's soccer. The only reason any "sports" fans watched it was in hopes that someone would take off their shirt again.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2011, 03:43:39 PM »

I will pull back on my baseball comment...but c'mon.  The NBA owns the world in complaining, flopping, and crying to the refs.

feedback