collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801577 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4375 on: June 28, 2023, 07:55:46 AM »
Which makes sense for a new hire which would need to hire a new staff, do their own evaluations on the pool, meet the federation etc. However it makes zero sense when you re hire your most recent coach and the pool hasn’t changed and the back room staff is almost identical to when you they left six months ago…

Ok.

But it isn't some USSF conspiracy related to rehiring Gregg

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4376 on: June 28, 2023, 08:17:31 AM »
Maybe if they held the Gold Cup every four years like a normal federation they would take it more seriously. But it's bi-annual, and now they have another competition on top of it, so is it really that big of a deal?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #4377 on: June 28, 2023, 09:41:41 AM »
Maybe if they held the Gold Cup every four years like a normal federation they would take it more seriously. But it's bi-annual, and now they have another competition on top of it, so is it really that big of a deal?

That would be like a new college football coach skipping the non conference slate only to coach conference play because they’re not serious games.

He was hired to coach so coach. It’s an entirely separate pathetic issue if the federation or ggg is afraid of backlash from possibly not performing to the standard.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4378 on: June 28, 2023, 09:43:49 AM »
Ok.

But it isn't some USSF conspiracy related to rehiring Gregg

It’s not a conspiracy. It’s a federation  protecting their poor decision and acknowledging what will inevitably happen when results don’t go ggg’s ways.

• All American
« Reply #4379 on: June 28, 2023, 09:49:02 AM »
That would be like a new college football coach skipping the non conference slate only to coach conference play because they’re not serious games. the standard.

That's really a terrible analogy.

He was hired to coach so coach. It’s an entirely separate pathetic issue if the federation or ggg is afraid of backlash from possibly not performing to the standard.

That was Wags' theory. If they announced they weren't going to have a hire hire coach the Gold Cup, then that is the obvious reason why he isn't coaching.

Really who cares? They haven't prioritized the Gold Cup. It will have no bearing at all on the USMNT moving forward. They're clear priority will be to qualify for 2024 Copa America this fall, and making a deep run in that tournament. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #4380 on: June 28, 2023, 09:50:15 AM »

That was Wags' theory. If they announced they weren't going to have a hire hire coach the Gold Cup, then that is the obvious reason why he isn't coaching.

Really who cares? They haven't prioritized the Gold Cup. It will have no bearing at all on the USMNT moving forward. They're clear priority will be to qualify for 2024 Copa America this fall, and making a deep run in that tournament.

You’re a terrible analogy bang

panda

• All American
« Reply #4381 on: June 28, 2023, 09:51:00 AM »

He’s not coaching games that count and it’s because the federation wants to shelter him. That’s a big problem.

• All American
« Reply #4382 on: June 28, 2023, 09:55:04 AM »
He’s not coaching games that count and it’s because the federation wants to shelter him. That’s a big problem.

That's your theory. I don't agree with it.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4383 on: June 28, 2023, 09:57:16 AM »

That's your theory. I don't agree with it.

Why isn’t he on the sideline then ?

• All American
« Reply #4384 on: June 28, 2023, 10:13:32 AM »
Why isn’t he on the sideline then ?

Because back in May they announced that Callaghan would be in place this summer and they stuck with their plan.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/usmnt-coach-change-bj-callaghan-to-lead-nations-league-gold-cup-as-anthony-hudso

"B.J. Callaghan will serve as head coach for the US men’s national team during this summer’s Concacaf Nations League and Gold Cup tournaments, coinciding with Tuesday's news that interim coach Anthony Hudson has departed the program for a new opportunity."

That seems way more plausible than "they're sheltering him." Why would they do that?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4385 on: June 28, 2023, 10:35:30 AM »
If you actually want a conspiracy, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if USSF knew they were re-hiring GGG when they made the statement about the new coach and the Gold Cup

panda

• All American
« Reply #4386 on: June 28, 2023, 10:38:46 AM »
Because back in May they announced that Callaghan would be in place this summer and they stuck with their plan.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/usmnt-coach-change-bj-callaghan-to-lead-nations-league-gold-cup-as-anthony-hudso

"B.J. Callaghan will serve as head coach for the US men’s national team during this summer’s Concacaf Nations League and Gold Cup tournaments, coinciding with Tuesday's news that interim coach Anthony Hudson has departed the program for a new opportunity."

That seems way more plausible than "they're sheltering him." Why would they do that?

That article is worthless. It was written with the premonition that a hire would happen at the end of summer (wrong) and the hire would come from the outside (wrong).

They hired someone directly inside the USSF circle and it happened before a competition. Completely different circumstances than what your article proposes.

They’re sheltering him because of the overwhelmingly bad reception the hire received.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4387 on: June 28, 2023, 10:53:22 AM »
I don't think they are sheltering him at all. The roster for this tournament stinks and isn't expected to win.

He already won a Gold Cup with a B roster.

If you actually want a conspiracy, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if USSF knew they were re-hiring GGG when they made the statement about the new coach and the Gold Cup

I agree on this. They probably decided a lot earlier than they are letting on, but sheltering him doesn't make a ton of sense.

• All American
« Reply #4388 on: June 28, 2023, 10:56:59 AM »
That article is worthless. It was written with the premonition that a hire would happen at the end of summer (wrong) and the hire would come from the outside (wrong).

They hired someone directly inside the USSF circle and it happened before a competition. Completely different circumstances than what your article proposes.

They’re sheltering him because of the overwhelmingly bad reception the hire received.

Let me know if you need more tin foil for that hat of yours.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4389 on: June 28, 2023, 11:05:37 AM »
I don't think they are sheltering him at all. The roster for this tournament stinks and isn't expected to win.

I agree on this. They probably decided a lot earlier than they are letting on, but sheltering him doesn't make a ton of sense.

Mexico was +150 going in and USA +165.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4390 on: June 28, 2023, 11:10:15 AM »

Let me know if you need more tin foil for that hat of yours.

Why wouldn’t he coach a competitive tournament after he was hired then?

• All American
« Reply #4391 on: June 28, 2023, 11:11:33 AM »
Why wouldn’t he coach a competitive tournament after he was hired then?

Already answered.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4392 on: June 28, 2023, 11:12:46 AM »
Already answered.

With an outdated non relevant article….

• All American
« Reply #4393 on: June 28, 2023, 11:33:11 AM »
With an outdated non relevant article….

But sure, your tinfoil-inspired theory is really relevant huh?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4394 on: June 28, 2023, 11:50:34 AM »

Ya. But not by enough goals. And not with the right players

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4395 on: June 28, 2023, 11:52:35 AM »
Ha!

That's a good one

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4396 on: June 28, 2023, 11:54:19 AM »

When this story/plan came out, I discussed with all my soccer friends. Said it was absolutely stupid. Once the coach is hired, get him on the sideline for any/all competitions.

I still think it's a stupid plan, regardless of who the hire ended up being.

• All American
« Reply #4397 on: June 28, 2023, 12:04:41 PM »
I'm not disputing it's a bad idea. I'm disputing the idea they are doing it to shelter him from...people booing I guess??

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4398 on: June 28, 2023, 12:25:28 PM »
QSMNT is a real thing.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4399 on: June 28, 2023, 12:47:23 PM »
I'm not disputing it's a bad idea. I'm disputing the idea they are doing it to shelter him from...people booing I guess??

Why else wouldn’t he manage the team ?

feedback