collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801850 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4350 on: June 16, 2023, 02:46:43 PM »
Other than David and Davies, can you honestly point to another of their starting 9 that you'd rather have at their position than the US?  Pretty much their entire squad, outside of those 2, plays in mid tier Euro leagues.  No EPL players, no Bundesliga players, no Serie A, and only Larin in La Liga, who isn't better than most of the US forwards.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4351 on: June 16, 2023, 07:47:20 PM »
Yeah I kind think our “golden generation”  would be a “rebuilding generation” for most Europeans.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #4352 on: June 18, 2023, 08:31:48 AM »
It's just so predictable.  We're going to dominate CONCACAF for the next three years just because the level of competition is at the level where GGG can just roll the ball out there and out-talent them. We'll get our hopes up when we get out of our group, maybe even win a knockout game with the expanded format, but once we come across a good team, we'll just fold.  GGG was completely outclassed by LVG last WC, and LVG is by no means a great coach.

Here are the results from the six games leading up to and in the World Cup for ggg.

0-2 Japan
0-0 Saudi Arabia
1-1 wales
0-0 England
1-0 Iran
1-3 holland

He’s been pathetic outside of a weak region in which he came in third during WC qualifying. And somehow some here are actually defending him.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4353 on: June 18, 2023, 12:48:44 PM »
Here are the results from the six games leading up to and in the World Cup for ggg.

0-2 Japan
0-0 Saudi Arabia
1-1 wales
0-0 England
1-0 Iran
1-3 holland

He’s been pathetic outside of a weak region in which he came in third during WC qualifying. And somehow some here are actually defending him.

Seems pretty cherry picked data

panda

• All American
« Reply #4354 on: June 18, 2023, 12:57:27 PM »
Seems pretty cherry picked data

Hat tip - Good joke

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4355 on: June 18, 2023, 08:49:45 PM »
What a first goal from Folarin Balogun. Great setup by Reyna, then excellent speed by Balogun to get the step and strength up hold off his man while firing a rocky past the keeper. A true striker's goal.

Really impressed with his speed tonight. There have been three instances where Balogun nearly chased down a ball in the box he had no business being close to. At some point, he'll get a goal chasing a lazy ball back.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4356 on: June 18, 2023, 08:58:44 PM »
What a first goal from Folarin Balogun. Great setup by Reyna, then excellent speed by Balogun to get the step and strength up hold off his man while firing a rocky past the keeper. A true striker's goal.

Really impressed with his speed tonight. There have been three instances where Balogun nearly chased down a ball in the box he had no business being close to. At some point, he'll get a goal chasing a lazy ball back.

Told friends during the Mexico game that the US looks so damn fast at every position on the field

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4357 on: June 18, 2023, 09:46:28 PM »
Balo is the real deal, he’s been as good as advertised, can’t to see him get more comfortable with the squad.

The Berhalter news is especially interesting moving forward given that Gio Reyna has been an absolute STUD and clear best player for the US the last 2 matches

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4358 on: June 18, 2023, 10:46:58 PM »
Balo is the real deal, he’s been as good as advertised, can’t to see him get more comfortable with the squad.

The Berhalter news is especially interesting moving forward given that Gio Reyna has been an absolute STUD and clear best player for the US the last 2 matches

https://twitter.com/ahandleforian/status/1670609696737181700?t=MB_NkQdsb9zDkmMo15C4LQ&s=19

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4359 on: June 19, 2023, 11:05:12 AM »
Don't focus only on the Reyna miss. The old manager (now the new manager) also decided Scally wasn't worth a chance and had him below a guy named Shaq.

Mistakes were made all over the field with selection and signing up for the same problems to rear their head on home soil in 2026 is disheartening and ludicrous. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #4360 on: June 19, 2023, 11:29:36 AM »
Don't focus only on the Reyna miss. The old manager (now the new manager) also decided Scally wasn't worth a chance and had him below a guy named Shaq.

Mistakes were made all over the field with selection and signing up for the same problems to rear their head on home soil in 2026 is disheartening and ludicrous.

Scally did a great job on Davies last night. That World Cup Shaq Moore decision was malpractice.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4361 on: June 19, 2023, 12:03:37 PM »
Scally did a great job on Davies last night. That World Cup Shaq Moore decision was malpractice.

Scally had a really good first half.

Then proceeded to get roasted in the 2nd

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4362 on: June 19, 2023, 12:21:57 PM »

Shaq Moore is now playing in MLS, after he flamed out of La Liga and Segunda Division in Spain.  So I look forward to him being a key component of GGG's rosters moving forward.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4363 on: June 19, 2023, 02:40:58 PM »

Agree to disagree - I really don’t recall much danger coming down canadas left side.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4364 on: June 19, 2023, 02:41:56 PM »
Shaq Moore is now playing in MLS, after he flamed out of La Liga and Segunda Division in Spain.  So I look forward to him being a key component of GGG's rosters moving forward.

I can’t wait for the reeemergence of cristian roldan

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4365 on: June 19, 2023, 03:40:42 PM »
Agree to disagree - I really don’t recall much danger coming down canadas left side.

Aaronson was helping him out a ton whenever Davies was on that side.

Obviously the Shaq Moore decision was terrible, but I thought Scally was average last night. They left Jedi on an island and protected Scally at all costs.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4366 on: June 19, 2023, 03:53:57 PM »

Obviously the Shaq Moore decision was terrible, but I thought Scally was average last night. They left Jedi on an island and protected Scally at all costs.

I think the thing with Scally is that he's not a finished product, and not an elite RB yet.  But he's a 20 year old every day starter for a top half club in a top 3 league.  So he should be getting tons of run when possible, unless he's a total liability, which he's not shown.

Davies is about the only wing in CONCACAF that Scally would need help with.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4367 on: June 19, 2023, 09:12:56 PM »

Aaronson is a high motor player but positionally lacks awareness. Especially further back on the wing where he played Sunday. He thrives chasing down balls and pressing higher up the field starting in the middle of the park. He was out of position a lot sprinting to recover rather than being in the right place initially. Just like an outfielder who takes poor routes to fly balls and ends up Making diving catches. Scally was solid/very good last night and it shows neutralizing the best player in concacaf.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4368 on: June 19, 2023, 10:48:44 PM »
Aaronson is a high motor player but positionally lacks awareness. Especially further back on the wing where he played Sunday. He thrives chasing down balls and pressing higher up the field starting in the middle of the park. He was out of position a lot sprinting to recover rather than being in the right place initially. Just like an outfielder who takes poor routes to fly balls and ends up Making diving catches. Scally was solid/very good last night and it shows neutralizing the best player in concacaf.

Agree to disagree on his impact last night, but he’s clearly a better choice than Moore and I agree with Wags above that he should be getting a ton of run any time Dest sits.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4369 on: June 20, 2023, 09:31:26 PM »

I thought he was fine. Davies created some danger in the second half, but for the most part Scally kept up with him, and if his greatest failing is not keeping up with Davies for 90 minutes, there are plenty of quality players around the world that would say the same.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4370 on: June 27, 2023, 08:46:48 PM »
I still can’t wrap my head around the fact USSF re hires GGG but decides for him not to manage the team he was hired to work with while they compete in the regions biennial tournament.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4371 on: June 27, 2023, 10:48:01 PM »
I still can’t wrap my head around the fact USSF re hires GGG but decides for him not to manage the team he was hired to work with while they compete in the regions biennial tournament.

My cynical feelings on USSF are well known, but this seems fairly obvious.  Knowing full well they would be sending their B/C team after winning Nations League, they didn't want GGG to get criticism/heat when they don't perform well.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4372 on: June 28, 2023, 06:11:47 AM »
My cynical feelings on USSF are well known, but this seems fairly obvious.  Knowing full well they would be sending their B/C team after winning Nations League, they didn't want GGG to get criticism/heat when they don't perform well.

Weeks ago, way before announcing the return of greggg, USSF had stated whoever they did hire as full time.coach wouldn't start until well after the gold cup

panda

• All American
« Reply #4373 on: June 28, 2023, 07:04:01 AM »

Which is out of this world cowardly. The naysayers aren’t going anywhere. Go out and coach the team you were hired to coach instead of raising more doubt around yourself.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4374 on: June 28, 2023, 07:06:38 AM »
Weeks ago, way before announcing the return of greggg, USSF had stated whoever they did hire as full time.coach wouldn't start until well after the gold cup

Which makes sense for a new hire which would need to hire a new staff, do their own evaluations on the pool, meet the federation etc. However it makes zero sense when you re hire your most recent coach and the pool hasn’t changed and the back room staff is almost identical to when you they left six months ago…