collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801784 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3700 on: February 03, 2022, 03:29:47 PM »
As far as qualification, the good news is as long as USA beats Panama, they qualify automatically.

Costa Rica can sweep their three opponents (Canada and US at home, El Salvador on the road) and bypass the US if we only get the Panama win.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3701 on: February 03, 2022, 04:25:04 PM »
Beat Panama, and you're guaranteed no worse than the 4th place playoff against Oceania.

Draw Mexico and beat Panama, and worst-case scenario becomes tying Costa Rica for 3rd if CR wins all 3. We currently have a goal differential of +9 to their +1, so there would need to be some major blowouts to lose that tiebreaker.

Beat Panama and draw CR and you're in, but hate the idea of heading to CR needing a point on the last day.

Bottom line, 4 points gets it done if 3 are against Panama.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3702 on: February 03, 2022, 04:53:12 PM »
Yep, it was effen stoopid, and I haven't heard an argument yet that logically suggests otherwise.

Frostbite is real, and that and other conditions that can happen due to exposure to extreme cold can be very serious. Here's hoping that none of the athletes suffered anything lasting and that all of the fans came through it OK.

It's an accepted "risk" in football, and I wish it weren't, but this was just so stoopid because it was 100% avoidable.

Portland was considered but vetoed due to having turf.  However, San Jose was available and they have grass.  Seattle was also available and they've had grass brought into Lumen for national team games in the past.

Two Honduran players were treated for hypothermia after the game. The starting keeper for Honduras had to come out of the game at the half because of it. I haven't read a single soccer reporter who has not roasted the choice of St. Paul. Berhalter is trying to defend it saying it made sense to the travel (Columbus, Hamilton, St. Paul). Pretty weak. They could have done Nashville or Cincy.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/2-honduran-soccer-players-treated-for-hypothermia-after-us-hosts-key-game-in-frigid-minnesota
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 04:57:03 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3703 on: February 03, 2022, 07:17:01 PM »
You guys know that the World Cup is in the middle of the freaking desert right? It’s pretty clear that no governing body has the well-being of the players in mind as long as they can cash a check. Why people continue to be surprised by this amazes me.

• All American
« Reply #3704 on: February 03, 2022, 07:22:35 PM »
You guys know that the World Cup is in the middle of the freaking desert right? It’s pretty clear that no governing body has the well-being of the players in mind as long as they can cash a check. Why people continue to be surprised by this amazes me.

They are playing in November and December which is actually just fine weather wise.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3705 on: February 03, 2022, 07:27:09 PM »
They are playing in November and December which is actually just fine weather wise.

The dates were moved prior to Covid. The only reason the dates were switched was because the players contested the location . The fact that Qatar was even considered for a WC should tell you all you need to know about the governing bodies and their incentive$$$.

Edit: also go ahead and look at who’s pushing the biannual WC and who’s pushing back.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 07:30:43 PM by Its DJOver »

• All American
« Reply #3706 on: February 03, 2022, 07:30:29 PM »
Yes I know when the dates were moved - in 2015.  There are many reasons why Qatar is a problem.  "Playing in a desert" isn't one of them.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3707 on: February 03, 2022, 07:32:01 PM »
Desert technically means “dry” not “hot”, so, fair it was a poor choice of word.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3708 on: February 03, 2022, 09:38:25 PM »
Portland was considered but vetoed due to having turf.  However, San Jose was available and they have grass.  Seattle was also available and they've had grass brought into Lumen for national team games in the past.

Two Honduran players were treated for hypothermia after the game. The starting keeper for Honduras had to come out of the game at the half because of it. I haven't read a single soccer reporter who has not roasted the choice of St. Paul. Berhalter is trying to defend it saying it made sense to the travel (Columbus, Hamilton, St. Paul). Pretty weak. They could have done Nashville or Cincy.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/2-honduran-soccer-players-treated-for-hypothermia-after-us-hosts-key-game-in-frigid-minnesota

This idiotic decision and callous disregard for their opponents' well-being makes me want to root against the USMNT.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3709 on: February 03, 2022, 10:05:10 PM »
This idiotic decision and callous disregard for their opponents' well-being makes me want to root against the USMNT.

It was a stupid decision.

Canada played Mexico in Edmonton and hosted the US in Hamilton with domed stadiums available.

Teams seek similar advantages all the time during qualifying. It’s dumb, but the US is hardly alone.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 12:09:07 AM by BM1090 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3710 on: February 03, 2022, 10:13:31 PM »

Canada played Mexico in Edmonton and hosted the US in Hamilton with domed stadiums available.

Teams seem similar advantages all the time during qualifying. It’s dumb, but the US is hardly alone.

Mexico

"The other ones did it too" doesn't make me like it any more.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3711 on: February 04, 2022, 12:12:44 AM »
"The other ones did it too" doesn't make me like it any more.

You don’t have to like it, but it’s stupid gamesmanship that federations all over the world do regularly. Big and small. The same national teams cultivating pity for being forced to play in the frigid cold (which is stupid, nobody is arguing that) are also the ones that let their fans pelt the USMNT with bottles and garbage when they play there and keep their pitches in horrible shape cause it disadvantages teams that aren’t used to playing on it.

Phrasing it like you did made it seem like the US was some exceptionally bad actor in this space worthy of rooting against as a result.  If this made you feel like rooting against the USMNT, I’d wager you weren’t much a fan of them or international soccer to begin with.

• All American
« Reply #3712 on: February 04, 2022, 06:00:06 AM »

It was a dumb decision. But your statement is ridiculous.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3713 on: February 04, 2022, 10:34:18 AM »
Not to further detract from some cold weather debates, but this Mason Greenwood story is awful.  Not exactly a banner year for Manchester footballers staying on the right side of the law.  Between Mendy and Greenwood, Mancunians wishing for the days that the worst news just being some good old fashioned drink driving charges or a bar scuffle

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3714 on: February 04, 2022, 11:38:11 PM »
it’s stupid

Agreed.

I’d wager you weren’t much a fan of them or international soccer to begin with.

You'd win that bet.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3715 on: February 09, 2022, 10:58:02 AM »
I’m no Muggsy when it comes to this stuff, but Kurt Zouma should not have played yesterday. West Ham are now losing sponsorships over this. Really poor management of the situation.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3716 on: February 09, 2022, 11:01:27 AM »
I’m no Muggsy when it comes to this stuff, but Kurt Zouma should not have played yesterday. West Ham are now losing sponsorships over this. Really poor management of the situation.

Met police aren't charging him, but he faces charges in France?

• All American
« Reply #3717 on: February 09, 2022, 11:03:50 AM »
Met police aren't charging him, but he faces charges in France?

Yeah French laws allow for citizens to be charged for offenses they commit abroad.  He could get up to four years in prison?  For kicking a cat?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3718 on: February 09, 2022, 02:48:27 PM »

Teams seek similar advantages all the time during qualifying. It’s dumb, but the US is hardly alone.

But that makes sense for Canada. They are a less skilled team than Mexico or the US, so the cold gives them the advantage. For the US, they are more skilled than Honduras, so that level of cold is more likely to hinder than help you. They could've just as easily played in Portland or Columbus that would be significantly colder than Honduran players were prepared for while not being the bitter cold prevalent to Minneapolis that time of year that works against skilled teams.

Ultimately, they got the results, but it was a poor choice not just from a safety perspective but from a strategic one as well.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3719 on: February 22, 2022, 07:49:27 AM »
American women players settle suit vs US Soccer for $24M

https://apnews.com/article/us-women-soccer-settlement-ba2c4217bf58c917ebb6fd8ca9a5bcd4

U.S. women soccer players reached a landmark agreement with the sport’s American governing body to end a six-year legal battle over equal pay, a deal in which they are promised $24 million plus bonuses that match those of the men.

The U.S. Soccer Federation and the women announced a deal Tuesday that will have players split $22 million, about one-third of what they had sought in damages. The USSF also agreed to establish a fund with $2 million to benefit the players in their post-soccer careers and charitable efforts aimed at growing the sport for women.

The USSF committed to providing an equal rate of pay for the women’s and men’s national teams — including World Cup bonuses — subject to collective bargaining agreements with the unions that separately represent the women and men.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3720 on: February 24, 2022, 01:39:38 PM »
I've been seeing some calls for FIFA and the EPL to strip Russian oligarchs of their ownership of teams. How the hell would that happen?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3721 on: February 26, 2022, 12:53:15 PM »
Roman Abramovjch giving up control of Chelsea (temporarily, I would guess).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3722 on: February 28, 2022, 09:03:59 AM »
 Simon Evans @sgevans

Breaking - FIFA set to suspend Russian teams from international football until further notice. Confirmation of decision expected later today.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3723 on: February 28, 2022, 12:18:32 PM »
Simon Evans @sgevans

Breaking - FIFA set to suspend Russian teams from international football until further notice. Confirmation of decision expected later today.

Should have done that the first time. Cowards

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3724 on: March 03, 2022, 08:39:08 AM »
Tragic ...

Stanford women's soccer player Katie Meyer dies at 22; cause of death not provided

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33406850/stanford-women-soccer-player-katie-meyer-dies-22-cause-death-unknown