[Today at 12:54:00 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 799723 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3650 on: January 19, 2022, 04:46:58 PM »
What a fking game

Spurs
DVD.

Holy shít!  Shades of Amsterdam!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3651 on: January 21, 2022, 04:47:40 PM »
Josh Sargent finally opens his account at Norwich with an absolute gem

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsSoccer/status/1484635040927657985?s=20

Then follows it up with a second.  Huge game in a huge moment for Norwich.  Still think they end up going down but good for him.  Hope he grabs even more form

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3652 on: January 21, 2022, 07:46:16 PM »
Pretty big moments for Josh. 2 goals and a big win. At 21 years old, he’s the 3rd youngest American to score in the Premier League.

https://twitter.com/nbcsportssoccer/status/1484635040927657985?s=21

https://twitter.com/nbcsportssoccer/status/1484640382466269186?s=21

Well earned respect of his teammates, coaches, and fans for his high character and work ethic. SLSG celebrates tonight.

https://twitter.com/nbcsportssoccer/status/1484648692535676930?s=21

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3653 on: January 26, 2022, 01:24:19 PM »
well here's a new one. Diluting the importance of World Cup to hold it every two years (and make FIFA billions) will solve the "refugee crisis."

FIFA president Gianni Infantino linked his plan for biennial World Cups on Wednesday to giving more hope to Africans who risk their lives crossing the sea to Europe.

The African refugees I've worked with and assisted over the years could have stayed in their countries and not had to flee civil war if only the World Cup were held every two years. Who knew?  ::)
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3654 on: January 27, 2022, 12:52:49 PM »
Matt Turner on the cusp of moving from the NE Revolution to Arsenal.  Start back up the USMNT to EPL GK pipeline

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3655 on: January 27, 2022, 07:52:37 PM »
Survive and advance. Well not really but it felt that way.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3656 on: January 27, 2022, 08:12:42 PM »
Don’t know what it is exactly, but I don’t enjoy this US team very much. But will gladly take the 3 points. Hopefully they get 1 vs. Canada and beat Honduras in Minneapolis.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3657 on: January 27, 2022, 08:59:53 PM »
I guess the saving grace is that no one else seems to playing all that well either. Mexico needed two late goals to beat 10 man Jamaica. Panama hasn’t created much against Costa Rica, although it’s only half. If that ends in a draw it’d be just as big as the US win.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3658 on: January 27, 2022, 09:15:12 PM »
El Salvador isn’t good, but they have a weird grit so they play everyone close.  They’ve only lost by more than a goal once in the last 8 or so.  It’s 15 degrees in January on a frozen crappy pitch against a plucky opponent.  Take the 3 points and move on

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3659 on: January 28, 2022, 11:32:48 AM »
We have no business fearing the competition so much we put these games in the freezing cold. Beyond the potential for injuries, we're risking sloppy games that become a toss-up.

The lack of confidence and touch in the final third is aggravating. I get enough of that as a Chelsea fan.

Pulisic looks like he doesn't trust any of his teammates and is trying to be the hero every time.

The gulf between us and most of CONCACAF is papering over a lot of ugly. Gregggg out.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3660 on: January 28, 2022, 11:40:55 AM »
We have no business fearing the competition so much we put these games in the freezing cold. Beyond the potential for injuries, we're risking sloppy games that become a toss-up.

The lack of confidence and touch in the final third is aggravating. I get enough of that as a Chelsea fan.

Pulisic looks like he doesn't trust any of his teammates and is trying to be the hero every time.

The gulf between us and most of CONCACAF is papering over a lot of ugly. Gregggg out.

I do think there is value to training and playing in the cold knowing your most important game will be playing in the cold in Edmonton.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3661 on: January 28, 2022, 02:11:50 PM »
Disagree completely. The other 6 road games are warm weather, and while this may be the toughest test (I'd defer to Mexico away still), it's not the most important. The goal is first to qualify and second to prepare the team to compete in Qatar. Beating Canada is just a measuring stick, and mostly for them rather than us.

We can play in St. Paul in October and still get plenty of cold experience. Snow/frozen football is fun but silly at this level for this team.

(Also, game's in Hamilton.)

panda

• All American
« Reply #3662 on: January 28, 2022, 02:28:28 PM »
Disagree completely. The other 6 road games are warm weather, and while this may be the toughest test (I'd defer to Mexico away still), it's not the most important. The goal is first to qualify and second to prepare the team to compete in Qatar. Beating Canada is just a measuring stick, and mostly for them rather than us.

We can play in St. Paul in October and still get plenty of cold experience. Snow/frozen football is fun but silly at this level for this team.

(Also, game's in Hamilton.)

Hamilton - My mistake.

It makes sense to play/train in the cold during this window as they know a cold road game awaits in Canada.

It makes sense to play Mexico in Columbus for home field advantage.

It does not make sense to play winter/cold/snow games at any other point.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3663 on: January 28, 2022, 02:32:30 PM »
Why would it only make sense to maximize home field advantage against Mexico?  Shouldn’t we be attempting to do that every home game? Other countries are.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3664 on: January 28, 2022, 02:39:43 PM »
Why would it only make sense to maximize home field advantage against Mexico?  Shouldn’t we be attempting to do that every home game? Other countries are.

There's a reason we play cash grab friendlies vs. Mexico in large football stadiums in cities like Dallas, Las Vegas, Phoenix etc. and qualifiers in Columbus and other soccer specific venues.

Columbus has always been a haven for big time US crowds while other cities which don't host many competitive games anymore attract larger crowds for the visitors.

I think the federation does a good job maximizing home field advantage for all home qualifiers.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 02:47:21 PM by panda »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3665 on: January 28, 2022, 02:46:38 PM »
I saw a couple people complaining last night about playing qualifying games in places where they know there won't be many minorities, aka immigrant fans of the opposing country, which is just a preposterous complaint.  Its racist to want a homefield advantage?  Got it

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3666 on: January 28, 2022, 02:53:30 PM »
There's a reason we play cash grab friendlies vs. Mexico in large football stadiums in cities like Dallas, Las Vegas, Phoenix etc. and qualifiers in Columbus and other soccer specific venues.

Columbus has always been a haven for big time US crowds and other cities which don't host many competitive games anymore attract larger crowds for the visitors.

I think the federation does a good job maximizing home field advantage for all home qualifiers.

You’re not making any sense. We haven’t played Mexico in Columbus since 2016, and have played them 6 times in the states since then, so your argument kinda doesn’t hold up.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3667 on: January 28, 2022, 02:55:13 PM »
Hamilton - My mistake.

It makes sense to play/train in the cold during this window as they know a cold road game awaits in Canada.

It makes sense to play Mexico in Columbus for home field advantage.

It does not make sense to play winter/cold/snow games at any other point.

Fair. Agree to disagree on this window--I'd prioritize the risk of injury with triple the time in the cold over preparation for Canada, but I see your side.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3668 on: January 28, 2022, 02:55:49 PM »
I saw a couple people complaining last night about playing qualifying games in places where they know there won't be many minorities, aka immigrant fans of the opposing country, which is just a preposterous complaint.  Its racist to want a homefield advantage?  Got it

Honestly the biggest home field advantage that anyone in CONCACAF gets is the field conditions in some of the Central American countries. Location in the states really isn’t all that influential. We win last night whether the game was in Ohio or California, as long as it was on a proper field.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3669 on: January 28, 2022, 02:58:41 PM »
You’re not making any sense. We haven’t played Mexico in Columbus since 2016, and have played them 6 times in the states since then, so your argument kinda doesn’t hold up.

The WCQs were in 2016 (Columbus) and 2021 (Cincinnati's new soccer stadium). His point stands.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3670 on: January 28, 2022, 03:00:28 PM »

My complaint isn't about racism, it's how pathetic it is we can't fill the stadium with supporters and/or win against El Salvador and Honduras no matter who's in the crowd.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3671 on: January 28, 2022, 03:05:05 PM »
The WCQs were in 2016 (Columbus) and 2021 (Cincinnati's new soccer stadium). His point stands.

Not really. The idea that we only play “cash grabs friendlies” at football stadiums kinda ignores the non friendlies in Denver, Chicago, and Vegas that have all occurred since we last played Mexico in Columbus. The whole home field advantage because of the weather is way overblown.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3672 on: January 28, 2022, 03:08:52 PM »

You only play one home qualifier per cycle vs an opponent so you are correct in that the US has not played a home qualifier vs. Mexico in Columbus since 2016. Not many opportunities….

We’ve played them multiple other times during that time span in Gold Cup venues and friendly venues which are meant to maximize profits for the federation and Concacaf. I admitted that in my initial post….

To your other point -

Columbus has hosted the most USA Mexico qualifiers and there’s history and mystique behind the venue.

What’s hard to understand ?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3673 on: January 28, 2022, 03:13:36 PM »
There's a reason we play cash grab friendlies vs. Mexico in large football stadiums

Non friendly Gold Cup Final in Chicago
Non friendly Nations League Final in Denver
Non friendly Gold Cup Final in Vegas.

Three non friendly competitive games occurring in football stadiums since we’ve played in Columbus. You are factually incorrect.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3674 on: January 28, 2022, 03:21:00 PM »
Non friendly Gold Cup Final in Chicago
Non friendly Nations League Final in Denver
Non friendly Gold Cup Final in Vegas.

Three non friendly competitive games occurring in football stadiums since we’ve played in Columbus. You are factually incorrect.

You're correct.

However I clearly wasn't talking about tournaments with pre determined sites.

I apologize that the topic of conversation on the ability of the federation to pick home sites for friendlies vs. qualifiers was lost on you.