collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801901 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3100 on: November 02, 2020, 08:49:25 PM »
I wonder how long before NBC realizes that US soccer fans arent willing to shell out for premium games?  Its still a growing sport, need to get as many eyeballs as possible, not put up more barriers.

At least it's not PPV like in the UK...

Between the Peacock debacle and CBS putting all the CL games on their dumbass app, networks doing their best to be the iceberg as US soccer consumption and viewing options were making Titanic strides forward

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3101 on: November 03, 2020, 12:05:51 PM »

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #3102 on: November 03, 2020, 12:25:11 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3103 on: November 03, 2020, 12:39:44 PM »
Very interesting roster for the US.  Odunze is an interesting story given that he is the child of immigrants and spent most of his life in the UK and Canada, but has represented the US for a long time already.

Musah is even more fascinating, his mom was on vacation in NYC when he was born. Spent most of his life in Italy before moving to the UK to join Arsenal’s academy. While I get there is a bit of a roadblock in terms of talent in front of him for England, it’s not like he’s not on the radar like we saw many of the Germans who play for the US in the past. He captained U-15 to U-18 squads for England. Amazing coup for the USMNT to be honest. He’s very exciting.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3104 on: November 03, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »
0 MLS players, what a time to be alive!

Yes, but, there are travel restrictions from the U.S., and any MLS player would need to be from a non-playoff team.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3105 on: November 03, 2020, 12:45:02 PM »
0 MLS players, what a time to be alive!

Was done intentionally to avoid quarantine regulations for players coming from the States. Still exciting to see. Amazing that Gio Reyna has more experience in the Champions League than for the USMNT.   

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3106 on: November 08, 2020, 01:02:07 PM »
Spurs got the points they were supposed to/needed to during their "easy" stretch.

Now gotta get the points against the big boys.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3107 on: November 08, 2020, 10:38:17 PM »
Spurs got the points they were supposed to/needed to during their "easy" stretch.

Now gotta get the points against the big boys.

Hilarious:

https://www.reddit.com/r/coys/comments/jqfh2u/preorder_now/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3108 on: November 10, 2020, 08:50:00 PM »
"F.A. Chief, Greg Clarke had been called to discuss the state of soccer in the country, and ongoing concerns about coronavirus. Instead, his fumbling testimony offended Blacks, Asians, Women, and others, and cost him his job."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/10/sports/soccer/greg-clarke-england-FA.html#click=https://t.co/GDnjY4qIsJ

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3109 on: November 12, 2020, 03:48:02 PM »
Positives.  With the possible exception of swapping Richards for Miazga, I think that's our first choice back line, so the fact that they all started, played 90 (or 87 for Dest) and kept a clean sheet can only been seen as good.  It's nice to see Adams and McKennie keeping the midfield humming, I think it's fair to say that that's our engine room for the next decade.

Negatives.  Questions will continue to be asked about the quality in the final 3rd.  I know there was no CP, and I've already expressed my concerns about his injury history, but there's also a gaping hole up top.  It seems like we're putting an awful lot of eggs in the Sargent basket, and 60% possession with only one shot on target against Wales, is a bad sign for when we go up against better squads.

All in all, you try not to draw any conclusions from only 90 minutes, although it was so nice to see the squad back together doing something.  Let's see what we can do against Panama.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3110 on: November 13, 2020, 01:34:47 PM »
Robinson got beat at the back pretty regularly. His pace allowed him to get back into one of the plays, but he had a rough night defensively. I was encouraged that these guys really don't know each other. Average age of 22, held their own against a more experienced Welsh team. They maintained the bulk of possession and created some chances. I also was worried that they would try too much one-v-one because everyone would want to prove themselves, so it was nice to see them share the ball and play relatively responsibly.

Dest was really fun to watch. Did well at both ends. You can see he has that flair and creative ability we often tend to lack, especially at the fullback positions where in the past it's just been someone that can cross and has some pace (and even that is often a luxury we don't have).

The lack of attacking success I'm okay with. It was just a friendly and these kids are just getting to know each other. While they only had one shot on target, there were a number of opportunities that never manifested a shot but with time, experience, and cohesion can grow into quality chances. Some good balls that just went long or some runs that weren't made quite quick enough. That should come with time. Just need to see if Berhalter can put together a system that plays to their strengths; I've yet to see that from him at this level.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3111 on: November 16, 2020, 08:06:59 PM »
I think the scoreline was a bit flattering today.  We were the better team, but it was by no means the rout that the final would suggest.  Was nice to see clinical finishing in the box, although there were a few gifts by the Panamanian keeper, plus our defense fell asleep on both goals conceded.  He isn't world class by any means, but John Brooks is the kind of player that makes those around him better, and should be one of the first names in the line-up if a strongest 11 is selected.  Hard to draw conclusions from such a choppy game (38 total fouls), but there continue to be positive flashes.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 08:08:30 PM by Its DJOver »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3112 on: November 16, 2020, 08:44:06 PM »
Entertaining.    Not great defending by either squad.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3113 on: November 16, 2020, 08:52:10 PM »
If you don't think those were generally good performances by a u-20/23 team (with many getting their first ever caps), I don't know what to say.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3114 on: November 17, 2020, 09:07:21 AM »
The gap on that first goal was a massive gulf. Definitely a big defending error, but I was encouraged by the response. They dominated possession and definitely created the better opportunities. While they weren't necessarily 4 goals better, they were clearly the better side. Without Pulisic, I feel like Dest is generally the best player on the pitch. Creative, clever, and an adequate defender with plenty of pace. Lots to like from the young triangle of Gioacchini, Reyna, and Musah. I really hope Musah is here to stay. Liked Cannon better as the complimentary fullback than Robinson.

Oh...have to single out the great team goal where McKinney saved it off the line to Miazga who headed back for Gioacchini. Excellent effort and teamwork. Considering the youth and how little these guys have played together, this feels a lot like the beginnings of a golden generation.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3115 on: November 17, 2020, 12:36:07 PM »
The gap on that first goal was a massive gulf. Definitely a big defending error, but I was encouraged by the response. They dominated possession and definitely created the better opportunities. While they weren't necessarily 4 goals better, they were clearly the better side. Without Pulisic, I feel like Dest is generally the best player on the pitch. Creative, clever, and an adequate defender with plenty of pace. Lots to like from the young triangle of Gioacchini, Reyna, and Musah. I really hope Musah is here to stay. Liked Cannon better as the complimentary fullback than Robinson.

Oh...have to single out the great team goal where McKinney saved it off the line to Miazga who headed back for Gioacchini. Excellent effort and teamwork. Considering the youth and how little these guys have played together, this feels a lot like the beginnings of a golden generation.

McKennie*

Sorry to play grammar police. Just a heads up in case you didn't know.

Speaking of McKennie, his improvement since the Gold Cup is staggering. I know it's a small sample but he looks far more comfortable on the ball. Still a bit too reckless with some of his challenges.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3116 on: November 21, 2020, 09:55:29 PM »
As much as I had my doubts when it happened, the hiring of Jose is looking pretty OK for Spurs.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3117 on: November 21, 2020, 11:20:16 PM »
As much as I had my doubts when it happened, the hiring of Jose is looking pretty OK for Spurs.

It's too early to get excited.  But I'm excited.

Intelligent c*nts.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3118 on: November 22, 2020, 04:01:24 PM »
Good fall College Soccer season coming to end...really fun action. Some leagues opted out for Spring. Some are playing split seasons.

Clemson Men ACC Champs
Florida St. Women ACC Champs
Vandy Women SEC Champs
TCU Big 12 Women's Champs

For many years some coaches have advocated for a split Fall and Spring season, long before COVID-19. Play one game a week, and eliminate mid week games. It also helps with classes, more training time, similar game totals, less injury. Split seasons could also bring more training, but less injury. NCAA's played in later Spring Weather. We'll see if it sticks moving forward in the future.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3119 on: November 22, 2020, 04:31:17 PM »
Spurs top of the table.

All is going to plan.

Will be nice to go with a double in the PL and Europa.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3120 on: November 24, 2020, 08:19:15 PM »
Konrad De La Fuente becomes the 7th American to play in this season's Champions League, as he gets in for Barcelona. The previous record was 6 in 2004-2005.

Sergiño Dest scores for Barcelona as well. He and De La Fuente are the first same team American pair in a Champions League game since Tim Howard and Jonathan Spector for Manchester United in 2004, the only other pair to do it.

Adams 21
De La Fuente 19
Dest 20
Horvath 25
Mckennie 22
Pulisic 22
Reyna 18

...so far.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3121 on: November 25, 2020, 10:35:44 AM »
Maradona dead at 60.  Gotta wonder if it's related to that brain surgery he had at the beginning of the month.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/argentinian-soccer-icon-diego-maradona-dead-at-60

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3122 on: November 25, 2020, 10:37:28 AM »
The hand of God finally got him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3123 on: November 25, 2020, 11:37:13 AM »
The hand of God finally got him.

That and a sh*tload of cocaine.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #3124 on: November 25, 2020, 12:27:34 PM »
That's too bad, 60 is way too young, but definitely abused his body with cocaine and alcohol, so I'm not surprised. If you get a chance, there's a documentary on Netflix about his time coaching in Mexico for the Sinaloa club, Dorados. It's pretty entertaining and interesting. It's in Spanish, so you have to deal with subtitles. The guy could barely walk, it's clear he was struggling physically.
He's the best soccer player I ever saw, I'm a little too young to have seen Pele, so for me it's Diego. His play at the 86 World Cup was just unreal. People, especially England fans only talk about the hand of God goal, but the 2nd one that sealed the deal against England is considered one of the greatest goals in WC history. Should have probably have won a 2nd world cup in 1990. Argentina were better than the West German team that won it that year.