[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 803085 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #2575 on: September 06, 2019, 08:34:39 PM »
And that's why you don't rush kids into the 1st team. Dest has a high ceiling but that was pretty embarrassing.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2576 on: September 06, 2019, 10:09:50 PM »
Gotta say, only American that didn't disappoint was Cannon, maybe Morris. Pulisic tried to do too much, Boyd and McKennie were invisible, Steffen and Sargent's mistakes were obvious and inflated.  Let's see what comes Tuesday.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2577 on: September 07, 2019, 06:50:39 AM »
Felt like Mexico had relatively little possession, but always in the final third and always looking dangerous, while we kept the ball for stretches, but always under pressure and never amounting to much positive. The gulf between us looked wide last night.

I read an article today about Berhalter wanting to play possession football and not just hoof it up the pitch, but it feels like he's still trying to install a club style of play when you need to be less tactically complex at the international level. Feels like he's a bit out of his depth, though maybe they shouldn't have waited 14 damn months to bring in a replacement.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #2578 on: September 07, 2019, 08:43:35 AM »
The US is slow and technically deficient. The amount of times they ran through a player from behind like a bull in a China shop is frustrating. Constantly under pressure on the ball and constantly a step behind when pressuring. Same old same old USA has athletes not footballers.

As for Dest, he will be fine. If you play enough things like that happen. He will learn.

I was also disappointed in the attitude of the US players. I know this is subjective, but they took themselves out of the game mentally. Bottom line, still not good enough technically.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2579 on: September 10, 2019, 05:05:48 PM »
As expected, both Sargent and Ream will play tonight v Uruguay in their hometown of St. Louis.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2580 on: September 10, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
As expected, both Sargent and Ream will play tonight v Uruguay in their hometown of St. Louis.

Perfect chance to thank Ream for his contributions with a mini-testimonial at home in STL...and then stop calling him up

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2581 on: September 10, 2019, 08:02:00 PM »
Morris good. Lleget good. Sargent good. Yuell surprising. Ream competent with the long ball.

Boyd should have finished. Should have been a PK. Should have been 2-0 at half.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2582 on: September 12, 2019, 09:16:23 AM »
https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/3941053/prem-refs-chief-admits-to-four-big-errors-by-var

So they're now admitting that VAR hasn't been right all the time.  I'll say again

So who ever thought that VAR would be the end of controversial decisions?

Getting six calls right and four wrong is far too inconsistent when the whole reason it was introduced was to get the call right every time.  The four admitted mistakes also doesn't include that terrible decision against Grealish and Villa, the Kane dive against Arsenal, and the Lamela penalty against City.  The amount of times that VAR has benefited Spurs (both correctly and incorrectly) is starting to get suspicious.  Have they had a VAR decision go against them yet? 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2583 on: September 12, 2019, 09:48:16 AM »
https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/3941053/prem-refs-chief-admits-to-four-big-errors-by-var

So they're now admitting that VAR hasn't been right all the time.  I'll say again

Getting six calls right and four wrong is far too inconsistent when the whole reason it was introduced was to get the call right every time.  The four admitted mistakes also doesn't include that terrible decision against Grealish and Villa, the Kane dive against Arsenal, and the Lamela penalty against City.  The amount of times that VAR has benefited Spurs (both correctly and incorrectly) is starting to get suspicious.  Have they had a VAR decision go against them yet?

The foul on Kane in the box vs Newcastle was reviewed and stayed no foul.

That said:

COYS   ;D

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:51:44 AM by ZiggysFryBoy »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2584 on: September 12, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »
The foul on Kane in the box vs Newcastle was reviewed and stayed no foul.

Fair.  The level of consistency with VAR is still at an unacceptable level.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2585 on: September 12, 2019, 09:56:52 AM »
Fair.  The level of consistency with VAR is still at an unacceptable level.

As a Spurs supporter, I will not disagree that they have gotten some very big breaks from VAR.

Will VAR work in the Prem or are those refs too close of a group to "show up" their fellow on-field refs by overturning calls?  The international game is different, as you have field refs and VAR officals from different countries.  Not as much of the old boys' network there.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2586 on: September 12, 2019, 10:02:27 AM »
As a Spurs supporter, I will not disagree that they have gotten some very big breaks from VAR.

Will VAR work in the Prem or are those refs too close of a group to "show up" their fellow on-field refs by overturning calls?  The international game is different, as you have field refs and VAR officals from different countries.  Not as much of the old boys' network there.

I think you nailed it.  It has been in two World Cups and the Champions League Knockout Stage with very minimal controversy, so we know that it can work.  4 weeks in the Prem and we've already had more incorrect calls than all other competitions combined.  I want to like it, I think it can get there, but in its current state, and more importantly the way it's being used in England, it takes away from the game.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2587 on: September 12, 2019, 11:05:03 AM »
I think you nailed it.  It has been in two World Cups and the Champions League Knockout Stage with very minimal controversy, so we know that it can work.  4 weeks in the Prem and we've already had more incorrect calls than all other competitions combined.  I want to like it, I think it can get there, but in its current state, and more importantly the way it's being used in England, it takes away from the game.

I think there is a definite working in period.  Hell, MLB has been using replay for a decade and there is still baffling results (saw a play at first the other night where the bag was compressed cause of the runner 's full weight on it and the ball clearly visible outside the fielders glove with daylight between the two, and they still upheld the initial OUT call).  It can work, I just think they need to get past the English BS, for lack of a better term.  I love the EPL, I'm an Anglophile, but there is so much related to soccer in that country that they need to be pulled forward kicking and screaming.

My biggest support for VAR is that if it curb flopping in any way, all the growing pains are worth it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2588 on: September 13, 2019, 12:19:06 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2589 on: September 13, 2019, 02:19:18 PM »
Hopefully good news for long-suffering Chicago Fire supporters

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/soccer/ct-chicago-fire-joe-mansueto-20190913-n5mieeejynedtlnmqnnyhy7k4m-story.html

Dont get the move to Soldier Field.  They'll never fill it.  The stadium is Bridgeview was a nice place to watch a match.  Parking was a sh!tshow, concourses were tight but around the right capacity.

Looks like they are staying as the Fire too?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2590 on: September 13, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »
Dont get the move to Soldier Field.  They'll never fill it.  The stadium is Bridgeview was a nice place to watch a match.  Parking was a sh!tshow, concourses were tight but around the right capacity.

Mostly, I would guess, is getting the team near the large population center.

Building a stadium in bridgeview was a HORRIBLE decision. But, I agree, it's a very nice stadium.

If they improve the team and generate attendance, they'll try for a soccer specific downtown stadium in 5-10 years. Most likely with MLS support as the league will want that market interested.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2591 on: September 13, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »
Soldier is the right move.

Fire is still one of my favorite nicknames in sports when tagged to Chicago.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2592 on: September 13, 2019, 04:33:13 PM »

The stadium in Bridgeview is fine. The problem is it's in Bridgeview. It's too far from much of the fan base, no easy public transportation and the surrounding area is a ghost town.
I don't think the new ownership sees Soldier Field as a long term solution. They probably want a soccer specific stadium in the city, though the Lincoln Yards proposal apparently is dead.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2593 on: September 13, 2019, 05:32:11 PM »
The stadium in Bridgeview is fine. The problem is it's in Bridgeview. It's too far from much of the fan base, no easy public transportation and the surrounding area is a ghost town.
I don't think the new ownership sees Soldier Field as a long term solution. They probably want a soccer specific stadium in the city, though the Lincoln Yards proposal apparently is dead.

Building the stadium was in no small part an attempt to appeal to the Hispanic community in Chicago.  But that was incredibly short sighted as it almost signaled a mentality that it needed to closely cater to that population or the team wouldn't have the fan support to succeed.  Obviously, Chicago is a rich soccer market with a lot of history, both from players rising to the national level to the old Chicago Sting.  Appealing to the locals ended up alienating a lot of twenty-somethings living in the city.  If you don't have a car or you don't do a shuttle bus from a bar, its a PAIN to get to.

The park itself is fine.  Its a bit open for my liking, considering its in a big field essentially, with no backdrop, both ends feel a bit barren.  But otherwise its a nice spot.  Soldier Field, I just worry about the crowd.  Its a rocking spot for a USMNT match with 50K+, but not sure for 15-20K max.

My personal fav that Ive been to is Toronto FC's stadium on the lake.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2594 on: September 21, 2019, 08:26:14 AM »
All right, now I'll believe that there's not a VARspiracy to help Spurs. I think it's stupid and that the goal should have stood, but based on the standard that they've set for themselves, they had to call it back.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2595 on: September 21, 2019, 09:01:02 AM »
All right, now I'll believe that there's not a VARspiracy to help Spurs. I think it's stupid and that the goal should have stood, but based on the standard that they've set for themselves, they had to call it back.

Yeah this is hardly “clear and obvious.”

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2596 on: September 21, 2019, 09:55:13 AM »
God I'd hate to be the next team to play City when they're mad. 5-0 within 18 minutes. Record for fastest 5 goals tied the record for half time lead, and Aguero went on to hit the post twice later in the half. If a team ever deserved to be relegated for a single performance, itd be this Watford team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2597 on: September 21, 2019, 11:43:02 AM »
That was nuts.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2598 on: September 21, 2019, 04:04:48 PM »
Harry Cane goal today was cray
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2599 on: September 21, 2019, 04:34:27 PM »
Harry Cane goal today was cray

Who?

Incredible balance, but overall poor performance by the team. Lost their heads after the VAR decision.