[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT": bin laden dead!  (Read 15571 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
OT": bin laden dead!
« on: May 01, 2011, 09:55:53 PM »
per cnn and fox.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: OT": bin laden dead!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 10:08:50 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/01/national/main20058777.shtml
(CBS News)

The founder and spiritual figurehead for al Qaeda, Osama bin Laden, is dead.

Several officials confirmed the report to CBS News, and say that his body is currently in U.S. hands.

CBS News correspondent David Martin reports that bin Laden was killed by forces in Afghanistan.

The long-lost terrorist mastermind had eluded an aggressive hunt by U.S. authorities for nearly ten years since the attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. on Sept. 11, 2001.

Former State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said on Twitter: "#BinLaden's death does not eliminate the threat from #alQaeda, but it is hard to see anyone playing the same organizational role he did."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/usama-bin-laden-dead-say-sources/

Usama bin Laden is dead, multiple sources confirm to Fox News.

President Obama is expected to deliver a statement from the White House Sunday night to discuss the major development.

Sources said bin Laden was killed by a U.S. bomb a week ago. The U.S. had been waiting for the results of a DNA test to confirm his identity.

The announcement comes nearly a decade after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks which started a tireless hunt for the terrorist mastermind and Al Qaeda leader.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:11:38 PM by rocky_warrior »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 10:11:44 PM »
Trump demands Obama show the body as proof.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:31:30 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
Osama bin Ladin is dead
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:21:47 PM »
Boom

WildBill77RT

• Scholarship Player
  • I know where the Superbar is
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 10:25:34 PM »
*modified to appropriately express how proud I am of our troops that our mission of eliminating Bin Laden was accomplished.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:32:12 AM by WildBill77RT »
\\\oo///

MUFan11

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:59:18 PM »
USA USA USA!!!

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 11:25:48 PM »
FYI, find another forum to make your political jokes. I've already deleted posts from the usual suspects.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 12:48:19 AM »
And Victor McCormick steps up to be the first banned after SoCal's succinct warning.  Folks, we're not joking here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 01:38:19 AM »
FYI, find another forum to make your political jokes. I've already deleted posts from the usual suspects.

Then why isn't Mission Accomplished deleted....if that isn't meant to be a hit on the former President I'd love to know what is.  Especially if someone actually READ what actually happened on that carrier that day (I had 2 friends on that carrier that specific day).

Perhaps it's just hard for some to separate the wheat from the chaff

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/01/iraq/main551946.shtml

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 02:13:14 AM »
Then why isn't Mission Accomplished deleted....if that isn't meant to be a hit on the former President I'd love to know what is.  Especially if someone actually READ what actually happened on that carrier that day (I had 2 friends on that carrier that specific day).

Perhaps it's just hard for some to separate the wheat from the chaff

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/01/iraq/main551946.shtml

get a life. can the US take this in before all the partisan BS begins, taking credit, placing blame.

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 02:27:20 AM »
Kind of wished that MU celebrated OBL death this way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnhDK2j4yag

also through scott van pelts twitter bunch of campuses across the nation were out celebrating, especially at Ohio State, penn State, Iowa state

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 06:45:50 AM »
Celebrations everywhere with the possible exception of Madistan. (Meant this to be in teal)

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 06:57:58 AM »
Finally! Hey Osama, how did that work out for you?

USA!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 07:30:29 AM »
not to poop in the punchbowl, and i guess im posting it here because i feel the most comfortable opening up here and dont think anyone will take this the wrong way, but isnt celebrating the worlds biggest military industrial complex's assassination of a single terrorist who had been on the run for a decade and hiding in caves sort of counter-productive? we want to hold these thugs up as common criminals, but we take to the streets and chant USA at sporting events - it seems to only reinforce the jihadists' extreme recruiting message of martyrdom and glorification.

idk, maybe thats just my response because it seems weird to celebrate the death of a single person, and im not quite sure how to respond/how im supposed to respond.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:33:32 AM »
not to poop in the punchbowl, and i guess im posting it here because i feel the most comfortable opening up here and dont think anyone will take this the wrong way, but isnt celebrating the worlds biggest military industrial complex's assassination of a single terrorist who had been on the run for a decade and hiding in caves sort of counter-productive? we want to hold these thugs up as common criminals, but we take to the streets and chant USA at sporting events - it seems to only reinforce the jihadists' extreme recruiting message of martyrdom and glorification.

idk, maybe thats just my response because it seems weird to celebrate the death of a single person, and im not quite sure how to respond/how im supposed to respond.
  Yeah, that's how most people felt after Hitler killed himself, too.  All this so that one mass murder was eliminated?  Wow!

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 07:40:10 AM »
its not what was done SO a mass murderer was dead. i wasnt criticizing the military action or any of that lead up at all.
im not even criticizing the response.
i guess im just expressing that i dont understand or identify with that response after he is dead. the actions to bring a murderer to justice and the celebration of a discrete instance of death afterwards could not be more different. i guess im just saying that when people attend the executions of those responsible for murdering their loved ones, we don't see them throwing post execution parties, and many might think it odd if they did. the nationalistic response makes me uncomfortable and unsure of how to feel. thats all im trying to say.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 07:56:17 AM »
My 16 year old daughter completely sums up my attitude.   When I came home from the station this morning, she was getting ready for school and humming "Ding dong, the witch is dead" from the Wizard of Oz.   I chuckled, because this song was going through my head intermittently while I was running alarms last night.     20 minutes after I came home, after a few minutes on facebook, she came into the kitchen and said "I cannot BELIEVE how immature some of the boys in my class are."   Apparently they were posting some stuff that was pretty out there.    And I completely understood both impulses.    I'm glad bin Laden is dead.   It doesn't bring back any of his victims but closure is a good thing.    But in the big picture/long term, I don't know what it changes.   On a philosophical/theological aside,  I wish I could somehow see where his soul is right now so that I would know if his theology was right or if ours is.    And finally, thank you to all of the troops who accomplished this and other heroic deeds over there.   Well done.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 07:56:54 AM »
Pics or it didn't happen.

Having a few helicopters kill a guy next to Pakistan's biggest military academy and then immediately dump the body to give him a quick sea burial seems fishy to me. 

nyg

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 08:04:52 AM »
Pics or it didn't happen.

Having a few helicopters kill a guy next to Pakistan's biggest military academy and then immediately dump the body to give him a quick sea burial seems fishy to me. 

Photos will be released soon to verify the death and to show terrorist sympathizers that the face of world terrorism is deceased.

Quick burial was conducted within 24 hours as to abide by Islamic beliefs and burial at sea was not to make a homage terrorist burial site. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 08:33:25 AM »
+1 tower.

I am very happy but in a solemn way. Cheering and chanting seems a little misplaced to me but I guess others must feel differently.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 08:33:56 AM »

I 2nd your sentiment. I grew up in NY and have been on active duty since 83. I was on duty on 9/11. I have many reasons to feel otherwise but this is just another sad chapter to a terrible story. Nothing to celebrate ... worse yet, I suspect that there will be retaliation.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 08:43:08 AM »
+1 tower.

I am very happy but in a solemn way. Cheering and chanting seems a little misplaced to me but I guess others must feel differently.

I am not cheering, but I do not begrudge those that do.  I worked for a company that lost hundreds of people on 9-11.  Worked with some of them.  Knew some of the survivors.  Horrific story and many who lived it are happy to see obl dead.  I can understand some of their celebrations today.

Images are still etched in my mind of the celebrations in some Middle Eastern Countries when they learned of our tragedy.  Yes, I think some who are celebrating are venting against those images.

We have made bin laden to be THE enemy.  He was an evil man who met his fate, albeit far too late.  Some may think this is the end of al queda.  But I am guessing some are celebrating this as the end of the conflict against al queda.  I doubt it is, far from it.

A tip of the cap to the brave soldiers who went into the belly of the beast and cut off the head!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 08:46:48 AM »
Quick burial was conducted within 24 hours as to abide by Islamic beliefs and burial at sea was not to make a homage terrorist burial site. 

That makes a lot of sense.  Thanks :)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 08:46:49 AM »
I'm not criticizing those who are celebrating. It just found it odd. Funny that some FB friens who I thought would be celebrating feel the same way I do...and vice versa. I guess people just have different emotional reactions.