[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT": bin laden dead!  (Read 15573 times)

WildBill77RT

• Scholarship Player
  • I know where the Superbar is
Re: OT": bin laden dead!
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 08:50:38 AM »
google news
\\\oo///

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 09:12:48 AM »
*deleted to appease Chicos who apparently thinks my comment was politically motivated rather than a statement of how proud I am of our troops that our mission of eliminating Bin Laden was accomplished.

I'm proud as well.  Perhaps your comments were meant the way you intended, but based on what I saw last night on Facebook, on the media, and elsewhere, there were plenty of really pathetic shots being taken using those exact words in a mocking tone.  If that wasn't your intent, fine.  It has been the intent of many other people, commentators, etc trying to somehow score cheap points. 

I had two buddies on that carrier and the amount of BS that came from that sign over the years has been incredible.  Last night a lot of folks felt they had to get one more sip at that well....if your intent wasn't that, than I apologize.  For many others, it was exactly their intent and one need do a search that would take 1 nanosecond for 1000's of examples to show you what I'm talking about.

More importantly, I hope people don't think this ends everything.  Listening to our Sec of State this morning I really think some people feel this means the game is over.  That is naive thinking.

Congrats to our US Military in a hunt that lasted many years.  Death is the ultimate punishment for this animal and it was served.  Proud I am

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 09:45:14 AM »
My 16 year old daughter completely sums up my attitude.   When I came home from the station this morning, she was getting ready for school and humming "Ding dong, the witch is dead" from the Wizard of Oz.   I chuckled, because this song was going through my head intermittently while I was running alarms last night.     20 minutes after I came home, after a few minutes on facebook, she came into the kitchen and said "I cannot BELIEVE how immature some of the boys in my class are."   Apparently they were posting some stuff that was pretty out there.    And I completely understood both impulses.    I'm glad bin Laden is dead.   It doesn't bring back any of his victims but closure is a good thing.    But in the big picture/long term, I don't know what it changes.   On a philosophical/theological aside,  I wish I could somehow see where his soul is right now so that I would know if his theology was right or if ours is.    And finally, thank you to all of the troops who accomplished this and other heroic deeds over there.   Well done.

I'm in the same camp.

Glad we finally found him (although, the conspiracy side of me thinks we knew where he was for a long time).

Anyways, I'm not sure that outward or public celebrating is really the "right thing". When we see stories on the news with people in the middle east celebrating by shooting guns in the air, most Americans write them off as a group of crazy MFers.

The proverbial shoe is on the other foot now I suppose. 

With all of this said, USA has had a rough handful of years (war, economy, natural disasters, etc. etc.)

People are just looking for something positive and patriotic. If this is it, then so be it, worse things could be celebrated I suppose.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 11:36:10 AM »
Celebrations everywhere with the possible exception of Madistan. (Meant this to be in teal)

walking a fine line...i love it!! 
hope our bullets and/or missles were dipped in pigs blood those muderers deserve nothing.  note hamas is critical of our take down of bin loser and we GAVE them how much of OUR money and for what??  we are broke right now.  these people(used loosely) want world-wide sharia law.  hello NOW!!

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 12:59:02 PM »
I am happy that some victims' families can get closure after this.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »
Glad we finally found him (although, the conspiracy side of me thinks we knew where he was for a long time).

I have heard some stories that said we learned of the curriers name by a Gitmo detainee (and through some of the measures that have subsequently been banned).  It took several years to track the guy down.  We knew of this location, per the attached article, since August.   Aparently we thought about bombing it in March, but Obama wanted the body - for identification purposes.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/54093.html

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 02:01:49 PM »
I have heard some stories that said we learned of the curriers name by a Gitmo detainee (and through some of the measures that have subsequently been banned).  It took several years to track the guy down.  We knew of this location, per the attached article, since August.   Aparently we thought about bombing it in March, but Obama wanted the body - for identification purposes.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/54093.html

Well, that's not nearly as long as I figured.

I just figured that the CIA or Special Ops had known for a long time, but for political and some sort of secret agenda reasons they hadn't really gone after him.

I have no proof, just thinking that if the US Military really, really, really wanted somebody, they could find him in less than 10 years.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 02:05:43 PM »

I just figured that the CIA or Special Ops had known for a long time, but for political and some sort of secret agenda reasons they hadn't really gone after him.

I have no proof, just thinking that if the US Military really, really, really wanted somebody, they could find him in less than 10 years.
Why?  What would their motivation be?

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 02:15:12 PM »

I had two buddies on that carrier

I am pretty sure we read the fighter pilot who flew Bush, and landed him to the deck of the carrier was an MU alum...how cool for him, especially as to the rarity of having the life of a sitting president, one on one in your control, during the flight/landing. For him..that was a special mission accomplished.  
I only wished he would have used the moment to ask Bush (or threaten, him under penalty of ditching the plane--lol), for an executive order requiring MU to change back its team  name to the Warriors.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
Why?  What would their motivation be?

it's all political, but we can't go there or will get a spankin and a time out like victor

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 02:21:13 PM »
I am pretty sure we read the fighter pilot who flew Bush, and landed him to the deck of the carrier was an MU alum...how cool for him, especially as to the rarity of having the life of a sitting president, one on one in your control, during the flight/landing. For him..that was a special mission accomplished.  
I only wished he would have used the moment to ask Bush (or threaten, him under penalty of ditching the plane--lol), for an executive order requiring MU to change back its team  name to the Warriors.

YES!!!!   well done!!!

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 02:35:22 PM »

no

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »

LOL

Yes, you are correct, it was the first and only time in history that NAVY ONE became the call sign of the transport for the President of the United States.  Marine One and Air Force One are obvious, but Marquette graduate Commander Skip Lussier had control of the flight stick for the only time in US history as a US President was aboard NAVY ONE.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 05:45:14 PM »
no

Fair enough. I have no inside information, no political agenda... just some random speculation on my behalf.

Satellites, spy planes, special ops, millions of dollars to purchase key information, I guess I figured they could find him sooner.

Not really a big deal.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 06:07:29 PM »
Fair enough. I have no inside information, no political agenda... just some random speculation on my behalf.

Satellites, spy planes, special ops, millions of dollars to purchase key information, I guess I figured they could find him sooner.

Not really a big deal.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2011/05/osama-bin-laden-dead-inside-the-raid-that-killed-bin-laden-59898.html

Here you go.  This is the best concise article I have come across and answers numerous questions.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen.

Having a few helicopters kill a guy next to Pakistan's biggest military academy and then immediately dump the body to give him a quick sea burial seems fishy to me. 

I know you acknowledged your oversight, and a lot of information has come out today. Really though, some people are so anxious to buy into conspiracy theory it amazes me.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2011, 07:14:34 PM »
note hamas is critical of our take down of bin loser and we GAVE them how much of OUR money and for what??  we are broke right now.  these people(used loosely) want world-wide sharia law. 

Apparently Glenn Beck has found a new home on MU Scoop.

MUBurrow

• All American

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 12:53:28 AM »
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2011/05/osama-bin-laden-dead-inside-the-raid-that-killed-bin-laden-59898.html

Here you go.  This is the best concise article I have come across and answers numerous questions.

This article already has some serious holes in it.Bin Laden did not use wife as a human shield, that was already debunked earlier today by the Seals.   "One of the most gutsiest calls of any president”...could there be any more cheer leading with that statement.  Gutsy is dropping an A-Bomb on a city that will kill 100,000 people and having to live with the decision.  There are even some stories tonight that those secret prisons that so many people despised and wanted closed down were actually the venues where the key information was gathered in 2005, 2006, and 2008.  Some are even claiming waterboarding was the key. 

The stories keep changing and I'm sure through the years we will hear from folks off the record as well.  I'm thrilled Osama is gone.  God Bless Bush and Obama for setting up the process and sticking to it until he was dead.  I can't say the same thing about when all this stuff happened 13 years ago and nothing was done because it was a "law enforcement" issue.

Al Queda isn't dead and will want to show the world they are not.  They are also a patient bunch and could wait months or years to decide to say hello again.  We must remain ever vigilant but unfortunately we don't.  We get smug, lazy, let down our guard as human nature often dictates will happen.  That is when we will be at our most vulnerable.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 01:15:17 AM »
Not related to the discussions here, but the first 10 minutes of the Daily Show tonight were spectacular. I'm sure there will be video up tomorrow. Worth a view.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 02:12:56 AM »
Not related to the discussions here, but the first 10 minutes of the Daily Show tonight were spectacular. I'm sure there will be video up tomorrow. Worth a view.

Spectacular in what way?  I can only assume Stewart is in a full cheerleading outfit with pompoms at this point.  It's amazing how many people get their 'news' from the Daily Show

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 02:14:43 AM »
There are even some stories tonight that those secret prisons that so many people despised and wanted closed down were actually the venues where the key information was gathered in 2005, 2006, and 2008.  Some are even claiming waterboarding was the key.  

The loosest of connections at best to waterboarding and it seems a huge stretch.  http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2011/05/02/the-osama-bin-laden-trail-shows-waterboarding-didnt-work/

Your general point about how we need to wait for all the facts though, is probably right.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:17:07 AM by HoopsMalone »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 07:29:42 AM »
The loosest of connections at best to waterboarding and it seems a huge stretch.  http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2011/05/02/the-osama-bin-laden-trail-shows-waterboarding-didnt-work/

Your general point about how we need to wait for all the facts though, is probably right.

Most definitely agree.  Yesterday we first heard that the wife was used as a shield and killed - later, she was not used as a shield, was injured and survived.  We also heard that waterboarding of khalid sheikh mohammed first gave us the courier's information.  Later that was disproved.  Who knows right now, as much of the information is still being scrubbed anyway.

What we know is the bad man is dead, but the organization and other leaders survive.  I hope we as a Country are willing to see this through and do not believe it is over just because bin laden is dead.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 08:10:55 AM »
Spectacular in what way?  I can only assume Stewart is in a full cheerleading outfit with pompoms at this point.  It's amazing how many people get their 'news' from the Daily Show

How about watch it, then respond?  Just sayin'

feedback