[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Who will win the NFC?

Bears
48 (34.5%)
Packers
91 (65.5%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author Topic: Packers vs. Bears Insanity  (Read 53796 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Packers vs. Bears Insanity
« on: January 16, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »
I feel like this game deserves its own thread.  For the first time since December 14, 1941 (seven days after Pearl Harbor was bombed), the Bears and Packers will play each other in the playoffs with the winner going to the Super Bowl.

The bragging rights in this game cannot be matched!

I added a poll as well so you can vote on who will win.

With all that being said, Go Bears!

🏀

• All American
Re: Packers vs. Bears Insanity
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 05:57:37 PM »
Early lines are favoring Pack by 3.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 06:03:46 PM »
Dom Capers has brought the pack to championship caliber.

Mike Martz has brought the bears to championship caliber.

Should be a hell of a game.  TO's and special teams will probably play a big role.  Bears spec. teams might put them ahead in my book.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 06:10:30 PM »
Dom Capers has brought the pack to championship caliber.

Mike Martz has brought the bears to championship caliber.

Should be a hell of a game.  TO's and special teams will probably play a big role.  Bears spec. teams might put them ahead in my book.

No one's kicking to Hester.

Bears Run O >> Pack Run O
Bears Pass O << Pack Run O
Bears Pass D << Pack Run D
Bears Run D > Pack Run D
Bears ST >> Pack ST

Coaching, wash. Unless Martz goes crazy, possible.

It's a good matchup, and I hate the craptastic field conditions at Soldier. NFL needs to step into this situation in the offseason.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
I don't see how anybody can't believe that this won't be a toss up game that could go either way.  Neither team wins by more than a TD.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 06:24:15 PM »
Is it Sunday yet?  With the Pats crapting the bed I like the chances for the winner to take it all.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 07:05:03 PM »
Is it Sunday yet?  With the Pats crapting the bed I like the chances for the winner to take it all.

+1

MUSig54

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 07:07:47 PM »
What happened the last time the pack rolled into Soldier Field?

11 penalties? You gotta be joking me. Who could ever caus..Peppers? Yeah he is a god damn Monster.

Bears 34
People who have to unfortunately live in WI 27

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 07:13:03 PM »
bears go as far as jay cutler wants to take them.  he played very well today.  threw some balls away even.  If martz can stick to a balanced attack and not fall in love with the pass, the bears will move the ball and put up enough points to win.  24-20 bears.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 07:17:17 PM »
I think this game is a toss up...both teams are playing well and with the Pats loosing today I agree that the NFC winner is in a strong position to win it all.  If Cutler doesn't get forced into turnovers the bears win.  If the Pack gets at least 1 interception and can run the ball I think they win.

Either way, it should be a great game.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 07:51:27 PM »
Its really cool that they are playing in this game. Obviously, a few months ago, the Bears were not expected to be anywhere near this game. The Packers were, but the way the were besieged by injuries, the way they were able to cobble things together and get there, is equally remarkable. I think the Packers are probably better, but its anybody's game. Dom Capers appears to be in the zone, and I like the Packers chances with him going up against Cutler, but you just never know. A turnover here, or a big play there...If the Packers can keep Hester from having an impact, I would say they should win the game (Just as New England should have beaten the Jets).

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »
What happened the last time the pack rolled into Soldier Field?

11 penalties? You gotta be joking me. Who could ever caus..Peppers? Yeah he is a god damn Monster.

Bears 34
People who have to unfortunately live in WI 27

Ha. This guy.

First of all, it was 18 penalties, and 3 of them wiped out bad Cutler turnovers. Not anticipating him being so lucky this time.

Playoffs come down to winning the turnover battle, special teams, and QB play. I wouldn't look for McCarthy to let Hester get near anything, but if we make a mistake in that area of the game, it's the one area I'm legitimately afraid of.

I'm going to make it even simpler than that. The best player on the field will be in a white #12 jersey next Sunday, and he's so far on another level that I can't see him losing right now.  Still, divisional games are hard fought, and when the Super Bowl is at stake, the intensity will go up another hundred levels. Pack by a TD on the road.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
I'm going to make it even simpler than that. The best player on the field will be in a white #12 jersey next Sunday, and he's so far on another level that I can't see him losing right now.  Still, divisional games are hard fought, and when the Super Bowl is at stake, the intensity will go up another hundred levels. Pack by a TD on the road.

Yeah, Rodgers has had two rather average games against the Bears this year.  The Bears defense isn't Atlanta...by a long shot.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 09:19:02 PM »
I agree with that.  Our receivers aren't as good as Atlanta made them look.   Should be a dog fight.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »
I'm pretty certain the Bears reporter on Fox just recommended giving Rodgers a little "something extra" when he's down to see if they can't induce a third concussion...you stay classy Chicago.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 11:37:46 PM »

Yeah, Rodgers has had two rather average games against the Bears this year.  The Bears defense isn't Atlanta...by a long shot.

Ya, and the Pack's offense isn's Seattle's...by a long shot. Seattle dropped 24 by the way.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 02:16:59 AM »
Ya, and the Pack's offense isn's Seattle's...by a long shot. Seattle dropped 24 by the way.

14 of which were in the last 5 min when the game had been over for more than 15.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 03:08:46 AM »
14 of which were in the last 5 min when the game had been over for more than 15.

+1

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 04:40:07 AM »

I was in response to the people predicting the outcome of next week based solely on past scores. Example: the guy claiming that the bears will win because the Packers has "11" penalties last time? Give me a break, why is this conclusive? Or, the guy claiming that the packers will not score a lot because the bears defense is better than Atlanta's? Look at the Monday night Jets/Pats game... then yesterdays Jets/Pats game. Those past scores are obviously meaningless.

My point is... you cannot base any sort of future predictions based on these past scores. It is pointless. This will be a great game.... most likely a tossup at the Bears bedpan of a stadium*. In a dome or at Lambeau I would say Packers win, but at Soldier field it will definitely be close.

I only hope the Bears players are as cocky as the Bears fans are...

I love how much pressure is on this game, it's for all the marbles. Lose and you're the Bears fan's bitch, win and glory is ours. Ultimate bragging rights are on the line forever. Surprisingly, its pretty damn rare for division rivals to meet in the conference championship game.

The Bears definitely scare me more than the Seachickens. But, imo they are the weakest opponent we have faced in the playoffs thus far. We lost to them only because we beat ourselves, they certainly didn't beat us in the first match up. But, weather is the great equalizer. Their special teams is MUCH better than ours.

I hope MM can find a practice field terrible enough to emulate Soldier Field... wow that ground looked awful.

*Has anyone else noticed their stadium looks like a bedpan from the top view? Also, hopefully the Packers will jump out to a 3-0 lead so that the Bears fans will start heading home, as they are known for leaving early...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:45:48 AM by Josey Wales »
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 10:44:51 AM »

We lost to them only because we beat ourselves, they certainly didn't beat us in the first match up. But, weather is the great equalizer. Their special teams is MUCH better than ours.

First of all, you're not on the team.

Second, all those times the Packers were flagged for holding penalties (specifically holding Peppers), those penalties had nothing to do with the linemen getting beat, huh? It was simply the Packers beating themselves? I assume then, that you also believe that the Bears beat themselves in Lambeau since Cutler threw some really bad passes. The Packers certainly had nothing to do with it, right?

Finally, this game will come down to how well Cutler plays. If he takes care of the ball, the Bears will win. If not...I don't even want to say it. I think that he and Martz play smart, run the ball and head to the Super Bowl!

Bears 17-13

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 11:08:14 AM »
Pack win, won't even be close

21-10

One td for bears will come off hester return, guaranteed, pack special teams is an abortion

for all the other predictors saying bears will score 34 points, your insane

Packers D is better than Bears D (5 vs 9)

Packers O is better than Bears O (9 vs 30!)

The only place the Pack suck is S.T., which is why I will give the Bears a TD there.

Pack win, Pack Cover the Spread, Pack hoist Hallas trophy in chicago!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 11:09:23 AM »
If God is a Bears fan, it's a cold Sunday with snow next week, bad footing conditions.  Bears have a chance then to make it a muddy game.

If God is a Packers fan and it's a balmy day, semi-decent surface, Packers win.

Packers are the better team, but the better team doesn't always win.  If this game were indoors, the Packers would win by 3 touchdowns, but it's not indoors.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 11:15:20 AM »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 11:37:52 AM »
If God is a Bears fan, it's a cold Sunday with snow next week, bad footing conditions.  Bears have a chance then to make it a muddy game.

If God is a Packers fan and it's a balmy day, semi-decent surface, Packers win.

Packers are the better team, but the better team doesn't always win.  If this game were indoors, the Packers would win by 3 touchdowns, but it's not indoors.

Agreed, but I'd also add the wind to it.

With Maseycakes already being unreliable in good conditions, that could turn into a big advantage since Gould is used to kicking there.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 12:30:57 PM »
Bears 98, Green Bay 3.

The only reason GB gets a field goal is that Papa Bear Halas comes down from heaven to award the Halas trophy to Da Bears and they miss blocking a FG by an inch because they are distracted by the great Papa Bear Halas.

feedback