[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jerry Sloan Resigning???  (Read 4964 times)

GGGG

• All American
Jerry Sloan Resigning???
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:17:27 PM »
Reports are that it is a forced resignation.  Utah will regret this pretty much instantly.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Jerry Sloan Resigning???
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
Apparently it was a fight with Deron Williams.  He is offically a superstar now that he got his coach fired.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:17:05 PM »
No way does Deron Williams stay in Utah anyway.  Stupid move by the Jazz.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight Howard and Deron Williams go somewhere together in 2 years.

groove

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:18:13 PM »
The players 'lunatics' run the NBA.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:28:59 PM »
Just hours after the bulls beat him again.  Fitting.  8-)

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 04:41:44 PM »
Read somewhere that Sloan called a play and Williams then called his own.  Heated exchange followed and Sloan wanted to meet with GM.  Guess that didn't go too well. 

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:57:58 AM »
Just hours after the bulls beat him again.  Fitting.  8-)

You're now the third Bulls fan I have reminded that the exact same thing happened to you, only more embarrassingly, when my Kings came back from 35 to take Del negro's job from him last year.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »
You're now the third Bulls fan I have reminded that the exact same thing happened to you, only more embarrassingly, when my Kings came back from 35 to take Del negro's job from him last year.

The difference being that the Jazz lost a good coach.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 12:08:46 PM »
The difference being that the Jazz lost a good coach.

Over a player who will likely be gone anyway.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »
Yes.  Williams is likely gone.  But Sloan is 68 years old.  You take Williams away, but leave Sloan, and you are stuck in NBA purgatory for years.  You take Sloan away, but leave Williams, you have a slim chance to be good, but would likely be very very bad after Williams leaves

Then you can blow the whole thing up.

Look, Sloan was only going to coach a couple more years anyway.  Might as well try to keep Williams happy with the slim chance of keeping him anyway.

The NBA is a players league.  That's just how it goes.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »

Except one was a hof coach and the other was not.  Also, it was fitting because we were the team to keep him from winning a title twice, we were the team where he spent most of his playing career, he grew up in IL, and we were the first team to give him a shot as a scout, ast. coach, and head coach.

But feel free to just keep bringing up the fact that some random team beat us on the eve of a coaching change.  I'm sure that is very unusual.  Most coaches get fired after wins.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »
Except one was a hof coach and the other was not.  Also, it was fitting because we were the team to keep him from winning a title twice, we were the team where he spent most of his playing career, he grew up in IL, and we were the first team to give him a shot as a scout, ast. coach, and head coach.

But feel free to just keep bringing up the fact that some random team beat us on the eve of a coaching change.  I'm sure that is very unusual.  Most coaches get fired after wins.

2010s Bulls = 1990s Jazz

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 05:15:11 AM »
2010s Bulls = 1990s Jazz

nonsensical = peaches

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 11:37:04 AM »
2010s Bulls = 1990s Jazz

I'd take that since there is no team in the ballpark of the 1990s Bulls to stop these 1990s Jazz clones as the Bulls get better in these next few years. 

As far as Sloan, we all have to be grateful he gave Wes his big break.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »
I'd take that since there is no team in the ballpark of the 1990s Bulls to stop these 1990s Jazz clones as the Bulls get better in these next few years. 

As far as Sloan, we all have to be grateful he gave Wes his big break.

The point of the analogy is that the 2010s Bulls have the potential to be great, but they will never beat the "elite" team of that season, whether it be the Celtics, the Lakers, the Heat or even now a 3rd Party team like the Thunder or possibly Mavs, Knicks or Spurs. I have a hard time believing the Bulls could even be considered a top 5 possibility this year with the likes of the Mavs, Lakers, Celtics, Heat and Spurs playing as well as they are, and I think that's a trend that will only continue into future years, especially considering Boozer's age.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »
The point of the analogy is that the 2010s Bulls have the potential to be great, but they will never beat the "elite" team of that season, whether it be the Celtics, the Lakers, the Heat or even now a 3rd Party team like the Thunder or possibly Mavs, Knicks or Spurs. I have a hard time believing the Bulls could even be considered a top 5 possibility this year with the likes of the Mavs, Lakers, Celtics, Heat and Spurs playing as well as they are, and I think that's a trend that will only continue into future years, especially considering Boozer's age.

I would consider the 1990s Jazz a pretty elite team team actually.  They were consistently legitimate championship caliber teams from 1996-1999.  The 1990s Jazz would have a few titles this decade.  That was a great team and Malone was a beast. 

Lakers, Celtics, Heat, and Spurs are clearly the top 4.  I'd say the Bulls are the 5th best team, but you may put the Mavs there, which is your opinion.  The .500 Knicks are NOT EVEN CLOSE to the conversation.  The Thunder, Magic, and Hawks can also be in the conversation.  But the Bulls are not some random team.  Their record speaks for itself, especially given their injuries.

The Bulls, if healthy, should win round one, and give the Celtics or Heat a run in the second round.  They could win one series and reach the conference finals if Deng gets hot, but the odds of them getting to the finals by beating both Boston and Miami are unlikely. 

I'd say I am long on the Bulls.  Rose and Noah have not reached their ceilings and they have the ability to add players through the draft and trades.  They will get better at the 2.  Boozer's age does not scare me.  He has been a crafty player who uses strength, skill, and positioning to be effective.  He has never needed quickness and athleticism to be good.  Finally, Asik and Gibson have not reached their ceilings yet either in my opinion.  Combine that with Orlando's inevitable breakup and Boston's decline, it's Chicago, a peaked Miami, and possibly NYK.

I have not seen anything to suggest that the Bulls' progress will be stagnant or that they will regress relative to their competition in the coming years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 08:09:38 PM »
I would consider the 1990s Jazz a pretty elite team team actually.  They were consistently legitimate championship caliber teams from 1996-1999.

The 1997-98 Jazz was every bit an elite team.  They were the #1 overall seed in the playoffs at 62-20 (same record as the Bulls) and blew through the playoffs including beating the Lakers 4-0 in the Western Conference Finals.

In the finals, every game was within 5 points with the exception of game three which the Bulls won by 40.  Like the Knicks, the Jazz were just a team that couldn't get over the hump against Jordan.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 09:49:51 PM »

The 1997-98 Jazz was every bit an elite team.  They were the #1 overall seed in the playoffs at 62-20 (same record as the Bulls) and blew through the playoffs including beating the Lakers 4-0 in the Western Conference Finals.

In the finals, every game was within 5 points with the exception of game three which the Bulls won by 40.  Like the Knicks, the Jazz were just a team that couldn't get over the hump against Jordan.

1997 wasn't much different and the series overall "felt" closer.  Jordan won it at the buzzer in game 1, and then the Bulls controlled game 2.  The Jazz responded to tie the series at 2 including a double digit win in game 3 and clutch plays to win game 4. 

Game 5 is a game of legend when MJ played with the flu and the Bulls won a close one.  Game 6 could have gone either way with Kerr hitting the game winner and Pippen getting a steal to win it.

Like you say, it is just unfortunate that they went up against MJ.  They would have a few titles this decade.

groove

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »

The games were even closer when you consider Jordan always got to call his own fouls.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 10:24:30 PM »
The games were even closer when you consider Jordan always got to call his own fouls.

The best player in the history of the sport will get the benefit of the whistle.

groove

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 10:32:45 PM »
The best player in the history of the sport will get the benefit of the whistle.

No I agree about his greatness

yeah funny how when teams were able to foul him like Detroit did, he couldnt win a title. Then the league started changing rules with degrees of flagrant fouls when the knicks beat him up. I remember when in the NBA playoffs you wouldnt let the other team have layups down the lane without making the opp pay for it. oh well.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 10:40:49 PM »

No I agree about his greatness

yeah funny how when teams were able to foul him like Detroit did, he couldnt win a title. Then the league started changing rules with degrees of flagrant fouls when the knicks beat him up. I remember when in the NBA playoffs you wouldnt let the other team have layups down the lane without making the opp pay for it. oh well.

Don't you think that was a good change though? Players should be able to get to the basket without risking their career every time.

groove

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 10:47:50 PM »
Don't you think that was a good change though? Players should be able to get to the basket without risking their career every time.

no, a foul is a foul :)

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
no, a foul is a foul :)

I'll allow it!

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »

Man, you are not convincing me that you are thinking logically.  mavs - kid and dirk, lakers - kobi, celtics - kg, allen, peirce and spurs - duncan.  But you think the bulls won't be able to be a contender because of boozer's age?  He's 29.  The same age as wade!  All of those players I listed are older. 
I think the bulls are a borderline contender now and are one piece away from being a dominating team.  You add oj mayo, steven jackson or a number of other legitimate starting 2's and this team is loaded.  Rose took a bulls team (without boozer) to game 7 against the "elite team of that season" as a rookie.  Why will the "never" win?

feedback