Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2010 Recruit Steadman Short (6'9" PF) Visited Friday (May 7) And Was Offered!!  (Read 30713 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Buzz clearly has the goods on who Short is, and based on that, stating that Short is downgrade can only be a knee jerk reaction that just hasn't been thought through.

Put names on it ....

Short or Ewill, which would you rather have?  I say Ewill
Short of Mbao which would you rather have?  I say Mbao
Short or Newbill which would you rather have?  I say Newbill
Short or Reggie Smith which would you rather have?  I say Smith

Ok, you tell me which of these four, or any others, you think Short is better than?

ATWizJr

• All American
Put names on it ....

Ok, you tell me which of these four, or any others, you think Short is better than?

None of these are fair comparisons because NONE of us knows how well Short will play and because it is unfair to compare Short who is a "big" to Smith, Newbill, or Ewill who are not.   

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Put names on it ....

I can't put a name to it, nor can you in any informed manner.  How are Williams' off season workouts going?  Does Mbao knock over a table and then cry, if someone steals his desert at the training table?  You think that you know what you're talking about, but unless you're on the MU basketball staff, you are not in any position to pick any of the four listed above over Short.  Maybe Short will be an improvement over who goes, maybe Buzz will get it wrong, and he won't be.  But, right or wrong, Buzz will have the benefit of at least ten times more information about each of these players then you do when the roster for next year works out. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

kmwtrucks

• All American
I think the thought on him might be he could play the 5 for us and bring a different dimension than Outle a little quicker and maybe a better athlete.  Where as someone like Mbao and Gardner may have a higher ceiling at the 5 than short.  Possible Buzz feels he can get solid backup minutes right away.  I think both Both gardner and Mbao might be a year away from being able to give you solid backup minutes at the 5.  Just my thought.

NersEllenson

• All American
I think that those posters in this thread who doubt Short's abilities are overlooking a significant difference between Short and Buzz's other JC recruits, Short when he played Div I ball at High Point played for the entire year for a coach, Bart Lundy, who is now on MU's basketball staff.  As well as Buzz's JC connections have served him in the past, he's got even better information this time because he has access to a coach who saw first hand how Short handled ALL aspects of being a Div I player, not just how he played, but also how he practiced, how he did in individual workouts, and in the classroom.  Buzz clearly has the goods on who Short is, and based on that, stating that Short is downgrade can only be a knee jerk reaction that just hasn't been thought through.

+1 - - I also would say that if Short could put up 7pts and 6 rebounds per game in Division 1 ball, even if at a low major, that shows more ability than Mbao.  And, Buzz has said a player needs to earn their scholarship to play ball at MU - and that he's not run off any players who have lacked in production up to this point - Otule, Fulce, and mentioned Erik Williams as well in a recent interview.  My bet is that either Mbao's knees are too problematic for him to be a player, or that he has not been willing to put in the work required to be an effective player at this level - and as a result has not earned his scholarship renewal.  Lastly, I have NO issue with this, as ultimately the real world works the same way, and if you don't earn your wage  - you lose your spot.  That is real life, and I don't think it is wrong to impose this type of choice to a scholarship basketball player.  The ball and opportunity are in their court - what will the player choose to do?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
Put names on it ....

Obviously, all speculation, but from what limited information is  out there I would take Short for 2 years over Mbao for 3. I don't really see how Mbao could give us anything before 2011-12, and even then its a major doubt with his limited bball experience and injury problems. I remember Buzz saying on his radio show this season that they stopped practice and gave him a standing ovation when he scored his first basket in practice in a  5on5 situation since he had been at MU. Seems like he has a LONG way to go. 

I would be very upset if it were EWill to transfer, I hope he has a bright future with us. Smith I wouldn't want to see go either, but I have been hearing for the last month that he might not qualify so that might explain that. Hopefully he is part of the 2011 class if  he goes prep. Newbill seems like a really good prospect, but I don't think hes anybody that Buzz couldn't easily replace in next year's class.

I have been hoping for MU to get a guy who fits Short's profile--6'8-6'9, long, athletic jumper--for years. West Virginia's team  was made up almost entirely of those guys, and that worked for them. I would prefer higher ranked guy than Short (Noreen), but this late in the game he would be a nice option to provide depth at the 4 and 5 for two years then free up a scholarship faster than Mbao.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I can't put a name to it, nor can you in any informed manner.  How are Williams' off season workouts going?  Does Mbao knock over a table and then cry, if someone steals his desert at the training table?  You think that you know what you're talking about, but unless you're on the MU basketball staff, you are not in any position to pick any of the four listed above over Short.  Maybe Short will be an improvement over who goes, maybe Buzz will get it wrong, and he won't be.  But, right or wrong, Buzz will have the benefit of at least ten times more information about each of these players then you do when the roster for next year works out. 

You're trying to be diplomatic and its not working.  Some players are better than others.  For you to say a low rated desperation fill the roster signing in late May or may not be better than anyone else we have is nuts.  Short is clearly not RATED as high as anyone else.  If he works out, whoever signs him got lucky.

Clearly he is a downgrade over whoever might be leaving.  Just admit the obvious.

P.S. I'm holding you too your claim that Deing will pay 20+ minutes a game for Louisville by February.  Another crazy claim.

Hards Alumni

• All American
You're trying to be diplomatic and its not working.  Some players are better than others.  For you to say a low rated desperation fill the roster signing in late May or may not be better than anyone else we have is nuts.  Short is clearly not RATED as high as anyone else.  If he works out, whoever signs him got lucky.

Clearly he is a downgrade over whoever might be leaving.  Just admit the obvious.

P.S. I'm holding you too your claim that Deing will pay 20+ minutes a game for Louisville by February.  Another crazy claim.

I completely agree.

NersEllenson

• All American
  Short is clearly not RATED as high as anyone else.  If he works out, whoever signs him got lucky.

Going to have to disagree with you here, particularily the bold.  Given that Short already has averaged 7ppg and 6 rebounds per game in Division 1 Basketball, I find it really hard to believe that he would be a downgrade over Mbao.  Yous certainly may have some potential, shows good hands, quick feet, but I didn't see a whole lot besides that to lead me to believe Yous could ever be a 15ppg and 10 rebs per game guy.  Short on the other hand, if given 3 years of development time..just based on what he did as a freshman in D-1 ball - I don't think that's a reach to double his scoring average/rebound average, albeit at the Big East lever versus low major ball.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Doctor V

• All American
Going to have to disagree with you here, particularily the bold.  Given that Short already has averaged 7ppg and 6 rebounds per game in Division 1 Basketball, I find it really hard to believe that he would be a downgrade over Mbao.  Yous certainly may have some potential, shows good hands, quick feet, but I didn't see a whole lot besides that to lead me to believe Yous could ever be a 15ppg and 10 rebs per game guy.  Short on the other hand, if given 3 years of development time..just based on what he did as a freshman in D-1 ball - I don't think that's a reach to double his scoring average/rebound average, albeit at the Big East lever versus low major ball.

This question isn't for you alone, but all the Mbao bashers... Unless we are talking career ending injury, isn't it Buzz's fault for bringing this kid to MU if he is so bad? Shouldn't Buzz have done his homework and known this prior to offering? Also, isn't there something to be said with sticking with and trying to develop a kid that you might have made a poor talent evaluation on, rather than bringing in someone else?

Also, since this is all speculative, would you rather have Yous and EWill on the team next yr, or Gardner and Short?? Im not arguing either way, just curious what you think since you have so many enlightening opinions

bilsu

• All American
Mbao was brought in late when McMorrow was unable to continue. both McMorrow and Mbao were recruited because of their height and potential.

4everwarriors

• All American
It's not a question who we'd rather have as it's not our decision. For this team to get better, Buzz has determined, and rightfully so, that he may need more than 6-7 contributors in the rotation.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
This question isn't for you alone, but all the Mbao bashers... Unless we are talking career ending injury, isn't it Buzz's fault for bringing this kid to MU if he is so bad? Shouldn't Buzz have done his homework and known this prior to offering? Also, isn't there something to be said with sticking with and trying to develop a kid that you might have made a poor talent evaluation on, rather than bringing in someone else?

Also, since this is all speculative, would you rather have Yous and EWill on the team next yr, or Gardner and Short?? Im not arguing either way, just curious what you think since you have so many enlightening opinions

From everything I've been able to glean from listening to Buzz, his feeling is that a player must hold up their end of the bargain to remain on scholarship - AND that has NOTHING to do with on court production.  It has everything to do with: Is the player fully bought into the program, and doing all they can be doing to get better.  I do feel that in this day and age of sensitivity and politcal correctness - there is nothing wrong with giving a kid a real world lesson at the college level, and that lesson is:  earn your wage, or lose your spot.  Lack of effort will not be tolerated.  The same applies in the work world (at least in the private sector.)  To teach this lesson at the college level has value.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
From everything I've been able to glean from listening to Buzz, his feeling is that a player must hold up their end of the bargain to remain on scholarship - AND that has NOTHING to do with on court production.  It has everything to do with: Is the player fully bought into the program, and doing all they can be doing to get better.  I do feel that in this day and age of sensitivity and politcal correctness - there is nothing wrong with giving a kid a real world lesson at the college level, and that lesson is:  earn your wage, or lose your spot.  Lack of effort will not be tolerated.  The same applies in the work world (at least in the private sector.)  To teach this lesson at the college level has value.

And you'd think this would be an easy lesson to pick up from a guy who got a nickname because he refused to stop putting in as much effort as he possibly could.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

NersEllenson

• All American
And you'd think this would be an easy lesson to pick up from a guy who got a nickname because he refused to stop putting in as much effort as he possibly could.
Buzz is not a hypocrite, and I don't see him being the type of person who would:  Do as I say, not as I do.  From Buzz's perspective he realizes he's in a results business, and he's also paranoid enough to know that if he doesn't win, he's out of a job.  From his perspective, I'm sure he feels I busted my a$$ to get this far, and I'm not gonna have it taken away from me as a result of a player I recruit, not giving me 100%.;  He always says he is the steward of the program, and it is his responsibility to do what is best for the program...and for that:

In Buzz I trust.