[Today at 12:14:22 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Neb, Rutgers, ND, Mizzou offered by Big Ten?  (Read 4459 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
Neb, Rutgers, ND, Mizzou offered by Big Ten?
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:24:24 PM »
http://www.huskerlocker.com/blogs/view/bid/3149/i/release_the_hounds_to_the_big_ten

Word from a Kansas City radio station has Nebraska, Rutgers, Missouri, and ND offered to the Big Ten.

I think expanding to St. Louis, Kansas City, and Omaha makes a ton of sense.  They would do very well in those markets.  Getting into those markets is more of a sure thing than expanding east.

I hope this is true.  Hopefully ND says no again, the Big Ten says that 14 teams is good enough, we replace Rutgers, and all is well on Wisconsin Avenue!

nyg

• All American
Re: Neb, Rutgers, ND, Mizzou offered by Big Ten?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »
Agree.  Pitt and Syracuse would have been a big blow and I believe ND stay as an independent.  The BE can easily replace Rutgers.  Should be interesting.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
Wait a second, from my count here, that's 15 teams.  Assuming this is all true (which I am skeptical of):

A) There's another Big East team coming, but the Big 10 hasn't decided which of Pitt, Syracuse, or UConn they want to extend the offer as the 16th team.
B) ND will join for all sports but remain an independent in football.
C) The first 3 to accept will go.

However, if Rutgers gets an offer, they will be gone in a heartbeat.  The university (as is every government institution in New Jersey) is under significant budgetary pressures, and they will be pressed into taking a Big 10 offer because of the $$$ they will be able to make and relieve the pressure on the state to subsidize the athletic department.   

Were this to happen, and both ND and Rutgers go, Central Florida (and another football school) will be in the Big East in a heartbeat, giving the football side 9 teams and placating the football schools.  I'd root for that to happen right now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:35:01 PM by Tom Crean's Tanning Bed »
The General has taken on a new command.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 03:34:18 PM »
Wait a second, from my count here, that's 15 teams.  Assuming this is all true (which I am skeptical of):

A) There's another Big East team coming, but the Big 10 hasn't decided which of Pitt, Syracuse, or UConn they want to extend the offer as the 16th team.
B) ND will join for all sports but remain an independent in football.

Didn't we hear similar fire from another KC newspaper last week that Mizzou was going (but never confirmed?)

There is not much to suggest that ND will say yes.  I have not yet met an alum (and I know a lot) who gives it one millisecond of a thought.  Why get rid of those cash flows?  They already get great recruits in there, sell tons of merchandise, and make tons of TV money.  They have had talent, but have not put it together by what their fans think their standards are.  The BCS would put an undefeated or 1-loss Notre Dame into the title game too.

The ND alums have no patience for their football coaches and would run off the AD who put them into the Big Ten.

So, that is 14 teams.  Missouri keeps coming up so where there is smoke, there is fire a lot of times.  I think St. Louis and Kansas City make sense anyway. 

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 03:42:25 PM »
this sure seems to be a group of logical names,... I agree w/ those noting the odd no and that its either a 3 team expand from among these 4 ...or its all 4 with a player to be named later, in a 5 team expansion
Also if Big 10 is taken at their word it will contact the conferences on any target-- which if I were big ten I wouldn't do until informal feelers to the targets were first met with target's nodding approval -

-almost like asking your buddy to see if a girl will go out with you before you ask the girl out for a date, or for the parents permission to take her out (wow do I sound old fashioned, or what!)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:51:35 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »
Nebraska AD already refuted this rumor. And why is it that every rumor comes out of Missouri? Furthermore, the B10 AD's dont meet for a couple of weeks to discuss expansion.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 05:11:25 PM »
Nebraska AD already refuted this rumor. And why is it that every rumor comes out of Missouri? Furthermore, the B10 AD's dont meet for a couple of weeks to discuss expansion.

While I think that all of these rumors need to be taken with a grain of salt, Nebraska's statement said that they were not formally offered membership.  That isn't much of a refute.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
three 5 team divisions
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
I don't know if I'd rule out a 15-team - you've already completely screwed up football scheduling once you get to this many teams.  The only question is if you mind having three divisions with one or three teams not playing a conference game each week, and only taking the top two division champs for your title game.  You are going to need to keep some rivalries with every year games BUT not completely abandon every playing the other teams.

Two eight team divisions mean you play 7 games in division, and the eight teams in the other division once every 8 years?

Three divisions of three teams each make much more sense because you could play your division every year while playing everyone else twice every five years:

East
Rutgers
Penn State
OSU
Michigan
Mich State

Central
Notre Dame
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern

West
Nebraska
Missouri
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin

The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 06:10:56 PM »
Mizzu is on record as saying openly "they want in"...    Nebraska is not happy with the B12 money distribution, and Rutgers will join in a heartbeat.

I think you will see Mizzu, Neb, ND, Rutgers, and Syracuse go to the Big Ten

Pitt if ND refuses to recognize what is about to happen.   By the way ND would make about 23 million per year from the Big 10 network, they make about 14 million per from NBC.  Plus they would get a much better chance at making a BCS Bowl game in a conference (3 bids)..   as opposed to remaining an independent and only getting the "one" chance...

It makes total sense for ND to join,.
"I better walk before they make me run"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 06:17:01 PM »
My interpretation of this is that they will take Rutgers, Missouri and Nebraska.  If ND says "yes" they'll pick up another team.  If not, they'll stick with 14.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 06:30:13 PM »
http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2010/5/10/1466311/first-domino-falling-is-big-ten

More people talking about it. 

The bigger the Big Ten gets, though, the less exciting it gets for some schools.  How fun will Purdue, Iowa, or Indiana football be with an even bigger mountain to climb.  I know its about money, but stopping at 14 rather than 16 keeps the middle teams interested in football. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »
 Plus they would get a much better chance at making a BCS Bowl game in a conference (3 bids)..   as opposed to remaining an independent and only getting the "one" chance...

It makes total sense for ND to join,.

I think it is currenly two bids because Penn State could not get in this year because Ohio State and Iowa were already in if I recall (though they probably didn't deserve it).   

The BCS will find a way to get Notre Dame in their games.  But those cash flows are something to consider.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »
BCS conferences are only allowed two bids, provided they meet the other criteria (such as top 14?? in the final BCS standings.)

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 06:51:15 PM »
Thank god for expansion talk during the offseason. ND has been firm in reiterating their message that they 'strongly prefer' to remain independent. However, if they are extended another invite and they accept, they then become the 15th team. There has been talk that Texas is throwing its weight around and is being difficult with both the pac10 and b10 in their supposed talks. If ND were to join, there is a greater likelyhood that the b10 will try to lure Texas. I think texas is a long shot though because of texas politics - they arent going to want to split up texas and texas am.

If the rumor mill wasnt busy enough today....

Delany DID say not long ago that it was not in the B10's best interests to raid any one conference because he didnt want the b10 to receive a bad image once all the dust settled. Marinatto has been exposing his man-love for Delany for quite a few weeks now. So the 'new' rumor here in nyc is that Delany may have made a back-door agreement with Marinatto that he wouldnt take multiple BE members. Take one? Sure. Rutgers? Go ahead. I guess people havent forgotten how BC ended up in the ACC. Nonetheless, if it isnt a big loss for the BE to lose Rutgers, why is it such a big gain for the B10? Rutgers is not going to pull the nyc market in the same way that Nebraska would get ALL OF NEBRASKA. To be honest, I think it's better if ND joins because the two programs might gain some traction in ny/nj. If they dont go, then we may see the b10 try to take Pitt or Syracuse.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2010/5/10/1466311/first-domino-falling-is-big-ten

More people talking about it. 

The bigger the Big Ten gets, though, the less exciting it gets for some schools.  How fun will Purdue, Iowa, or Indiana football be with an even bigger mountain to climb.  I know its about money, but stopping at 14 rather than 16 keeps the middle teams interested in football. 

I'm pretty sure Iowa football will be fine. If I recall Iowa was just in a BCS bowl last year. Northwestern, Minnesota and Michigan State all have weaker football programs than Iowa.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »
If these four schools are really getting invites, it goes to show how meaningless bball fits into the expansion equation. ND has been so-so and would prob be a middle-of-the-pack b10 team. Mizzou is good every now and then but Rutgers and Nebraska both suck. I honestly can say I have actually never even seen Nebraska play...so I guess I shouldnt say they suck (it's just that if a team doesnt get televised nationally, there is a good chance they are terrible).

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »
Would the Big 12 change its name to the Big 10 based on total teams in the conference?

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 11:54:09 PM »
Would the Big 12 change its name to the Big 10 based on total teams in the conference?

No because the Big Ten has already ran out of fingers to count on, so even if they go to 14,15 or 16 they still have the problem that they can't count that high and remain the Big Ten.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 05:22:06 PM »
Agree.  Pitt and Syracuse would have been a big blow and I believe ND stay as an independent.  The BE can easily replace Rutgers.  Should be interesting.

In the short run, this will help the BE.  In the long run, it puts the remaining BCS schools in a "have not" category that will be difficult to compete within over the course of time.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 07:23:43 PM »
Ohio State's AD told reporters that the B10 commish sent all the ADs an email stating that no offers have been made.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5181741
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback