[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Arts and Sciences dean search F-up  (Read 107530 times)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
Marquette Arts and Sciences dean search F-up
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:48:36 PM »
Marquette really shot themselves in the face here. They chose to withdraw a offer to candidate for the position because of a bunch of her writings and publications.

Feel free to read any of these sources
http://mu-warrior.blogspot.com/2010/05/arts-science-dean-search-fiasco.html
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/93012094.html?page=2#comments
http://mugrack.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/has-any-member-of-the-marquette-administration-heard-of-the-google/

Apparently there was some protesting on campus about it today. Some shenanigans ensued in an event tonight. MU kinda f'd it up here. You'd think they knew what the google was and how to use it.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Marquette Arts and Sciences dean search F-up
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:51:51 PM »
Did they ask her to spend a year in prep school?

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »
Did they ask her to spend a year in prep school?

haha. does that void the LOI?

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:05:45 PM »
 I feel slightly embarrassed, yet if this teacher does what she says she is going to do I think it is unneccessary to the degree she is taking it.
I don't mind protests and whatnot, but using her position at the dinner to further her cause is not right, IMO.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:07:02 PM »
I feel slightly embarrassed, yet if this teacher does what she says she is going to do I think it is unneccessary to the degree she is taking it.
I don't mind protests and whatnot, but using her position at the dinner to further her cause is not right, IMO.

What position are you referring to?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 09:14:46 PM »

Wine 'em, dine 'em, sixty-nine 'em.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »
Lavender is for lesbians

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:20:14 PM »
Ultimately, I think the University made the right call. The search process was inexcusably poor. The fact that Fr. Wild intervened speaks volumes about it. He usually leaves things to the administrators and bureaucrats, and rarely pulls rank on them.

Brigid O'Brien and company must be cursing the Arts and Sciences search committee right now. What a mess.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 09:24:13 PM »
Ultimately, I think the University made the right call. The search process was inexcusably poor. The fact that Fr. Wild intervened speaks volumes about it. He usually leaves things to the administrators and bureaucrats, and rarely pulls rank on them.

Brigid O'Brien and company must be cursing the Arts and Sciences search committee right now. What a mess.

+1

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 09:27:59 PM »
What has our society come to when people are offered prestigious positions at Catholic insititutions based on sexual fetishes? Seriously, are you kidding me? Where are her qualifications discussed? It's just about her sexual orientation?

Perhaps somebody could explain to me why what somebody does in order to ejaculate, not only falls under the phrase "diversity" but makes them somehow qualified to run the school of Arts & Sciences? Because a woman enjoys having sex with other women...that somehow makes them a respected voice? If I like to have sex with women just out on parole, does that make me a respected voice on criminal rehabilitation?

And this other Poly Sci professor? What a great example of absolute and complete separation from reality! She's protesting the fact that the people who enable the university to build buildings and keep their lights on are asking that the instituion named after the founder the Jesuit faith not have a lesbian dean? The outrage!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:19:04 AM by PuertoRicanNightmare »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 09:33:08 PM »
MU most definately did the right thing.  I don't have a problem with a lesbian professor, but the quality of her research looks to be incredibly poor.  And I'm not just talking about the subject matter in question.

The dean of a liberal arts college is always one of the more difficult positions on a college campus.  Unlike a pre-professional school like business or engineering, the dean has to deal with a bunch of departments that aren't really all that related and don't have the singular drive to keep their ciriculum relevant to industry.  The faculty can generally be a pain in the ass too.  You have to have a pretty well qualified academic to keep them in line.

You can blame the search committee all you want, but the Provost has the ultimate decision and the President would have had to sign off on it.  Sometimes smart administrators do dumb things.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 09:35:48 PM »
Incidentally, for all your no-brains who are sure to attempt to argue with me about my "narrow mindedness," etc. ask yourselves what is happening in the Catholic Church right now. Ask yourselves about the former president of Loyola Academy in suburban Chicago getting ousted from the church THIS WEEK because of inappropriate relationships with boys at the school. Ask yourselves what the church's teaching is about this kind of thing.

You are entitled to believe what you want about people's sexual orientation and acceptance, but the fact is Marquette University is not entitled. We are a Cathlic university and we'd do well to act like one...gay and/or lesbian teachers be damned!!

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 09:37:02 PM »
 I'm embarrassed that they didn't do their research on this lady prior to offering her the position. Who says that her
orientation had anything to do with it, was it stated somewhere in the article or is it an assumption?
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 09:39:39 PM »
Incidentally, for all your no-brains who are sure to attempt to argue with me about my "narrow mindedness," etc. ask yourselves what is happening in the Catholic Church right now. Ask yourselves about the former president of Loyola Academy in suburban Chicago getting ousted from the church THIS WEEK because of inappropriate relationships with boys at the school. Ask yourselves what the church's teaching is about this kind of thing.

Homosexuality and pedophilia are two different things you know.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 09:48:27 PM »
Thanks!!

Pedophilia? The ex-Loyola president was charged with having an inappropriate relationship with and 18 year old. Since that wasn't "pedophilia" is that OK with you?

And I don't care what their ages are, if you think the students at Marquette University are "adults," you've got another thing coming. These are the most impressionable times in a young person's life. If you're espousing the Catholic faith, there are better people to be running the A&S Department.

As I said, you're more than welcome to accept this kind of thing personally. Marquette University, as a Catholic institution is supposed to be about something a little bit bigger than the homosexual lobby of Wisconsin.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 09:54:19 PM »
Thanks!!

Pedophilia? The ex-Loyola president was charged with having an inappropriate relationship with and 18 year old. Since that wasn't "pedophilia" is that OK with you?

Well...you are the one that said "inappropriate relationship with boys."  Excuse me for actually assuming that you meant "boys."  And no, it still isn't OK even though they are considered adults.

One of my major problems with the clergy sexual-abuse scandal is that people mix up homosexuality and pedophilia.  That is where I thought you were heading with this.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 10:37:48 PM »

Well...you are the one that said "inappropriate relationship with boys."  Excuse me for actually assuming that you meant "boys."  And no, it still isn't OK even though they are considered adults.

One of my major problems with the clergy sexual-abuse scandal is that people mix up homosexuality and pedophilia.  That is where I thought you were heading with this.

Actually, pedophiles are attracted to prepubescent boys and girls. Ephebophiles are attracted to adolescents - most of the abusive clergy fall into this category.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 11:03:54 PM »
Actually, pedophiles are attracted to prepubescent boys and girls. Ephebophiles are attracted to adolescents - most of the abusive clergy fall into this category.

4never is a fatnuglyophile.   ;D  also is a hairylegnmustaceonabulldoglookinwomanophile.

in_lazar_we_trust

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 11:12:22 PM »
Senior now at MU. Rumor around campus is that there were higher powers (not fr wild) at work. i.e. old, powerful donors.... For what its worth...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 11:14:17 PM »
Higher power?

I think the only power higher than Fr. Wild is Trevor Mbakwe.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 11:30:03 PM »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 12:02:06 AM »
 It's to be expected that Liberal Arts hires are the most incongruent on a catholic campus so long as that school wants to at least put up appearances that some shred of church doctrine still play a role in their mission.   

Fr. Wild doesn't want to offend faculty because he needs to be open to the liberal loonies who predominate academia and the academic prestige your university aspires for.   He also needs the old money.

He walks a tightrope. 

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 12:53:40 AM »
It amazes me to see the "open-minded" idiots on campus who think this is 100% about her being a lesbian. Marquette has the right to choose to hire whoever they want based on whatever they want, and it's pretty clear to me that this professor had absolutely no basis to be the dean of a college, regardless of what her sexual preferences are. It was a mistake to ever give her the damn job offer in the first place, and now we have protesters who are trying to paint her as a genius who was perfect for the position, when it's pretty clear she was not.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 06:46:09 AM »
Is she the best candidate?   The only question that matters.  Take her sexuality out of the equation.   It neither gives her extra points or eliminates her, IMO.   I have had too many friends come out of the closet, worked with enough people who were openly gay and even had a closeted gay roommate, to ever care again how somebody else achieves their orgasm with another consenting adult.   So, if she is qualified and the best candidate for the job, give her the job.   If there is another candidate who is better qualified, give them the job.  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:51:15 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

d6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 07:34:39 AM »
Is she the best candidate?   The only question that matters.  Take her sexuality out of the equation.   It neither gives her extra points or eliminates her, IMO.   I have had too many friends come out of the closet, worked with enough people who were openly gay and even had a closeted gay roommate, to ever care again how somebody else achieves their orgasm with another consenting adult.   So, if she is qualified and the best candidate for the job, give her the job.   If there is another candidate who is better qualified, give them the job.  

+1