[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Arts and Sciences dean search F-up  (Read 107451 times)

bma725

• All American
Re: Marquette Arts and Sciences dean search F-up
« Reply #425 on: May 26, 2010, 06:45:18 AM »
The position in question was for Dean in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Everyone was asked.  Most outside of A&S chose not to participate.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #426 on: May 26, 2010, 07:10:07 AM »

The story was the condemnation by the faculty senate and the advertisement.  If the supporters of the decision took out an ad, maybe they'd be interviewed too.

The Milwaukee local media, as all local media these days, are lazy.

Let me also add that the ad was stupid.  This story is over...she's not coming here.  Time to move on and learn from this incident.
While I agree with you SoSW, this is how Marquette wins these battles.  I've been connected with Marquette for 32 years now.  This is how they always operate.  Stonewall, and it will all go away. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #427 on: May 26, 2010, 07:50:48 AM »
While I agree with you SoSW, this is how Marquette wins these battles.  I've been connected with Marquette for 32 years now.  This is how they always operate.  Stonewall, and it will all go away. 

That's how every organization works.  Weather the PR nightmare and move on.  Ultimately the people in charge of the University get to make the decisions.  They have made their decision...and either people who are on the other side either accept it and move on, or they boycott all things Marquette - such as not send their kids to school there, stop donating and stop watching MU basketball.

We all know that this isn't going to happen.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #428 on: May 26, 2010, 08:03:33 AM »

That's how every organization works.  Weather the PR nightmare and move on.  Ultimately the people in charge of the University get to make the decisions.  They have made their decision...and either people who are on the other side either accept it and move on, or they boycott all things Marquette - such as not send their kids to school there, stop donating and stop watching MU basketball.

We all know that this isn't going to happen.

I agree with you in general.  There are more examples, recently, of popular sentiment changing the decisions of large institutions. The Church and MU remain unmovable.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #429 on: May 26, 2010, 08:12:40 AM »
Outside of academia's ivory tower, I surmise a majority of MU alums back the decision not to allow a woman, whose main writings and academic work goes against a prominent Catholic teaching, in the supervision of a college and it may even increase their support of the school.  

My belief could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #430 on: May 26, 2010, 08:17:19 AM »
Outside of academia's ivory tower, I surmise a majority of MU alums back the decision not to allow a woman, whose main writings and academic work goes against a prominent Catholic teaching, in the supervision of a college and it may even increase their support of the school.  

My belief could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

I think you are correct.  There is actually a debate on the LinkdIn MU Alumni Group, which I steadfastly refuse to participate in, that is frankly downright embarrassing.  "There is no place for a lesbian on Marquette's campus."   I mean...really?  Do these people not realize that there have been open lesbians on the faculty at MU for years?

UPDATE:  It looks like the majority of that discussion has been removed by the group's owner....Marquette University.  Mostly the "radicals" on either side of the issue
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:28:31 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #431 on: May 26, 2010, 08:24:25 AM »
Yeah, I don't agree with that and probably majority opinion doesn't agree with that stance or MU would be struggling for donations.

But to put someone who pushes the button on the topic of sexuality in charge of a department at a Catholic University would lead many to think MU is a Catholic University by name only.  Because of the prominence of the issue. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #432 on: June 08, 2010, 03:06:09 PM »
A friend of mine said she'd canceled her Journal-Sentinel subscription over the faculty advertisement.

Does that make ANY sense to anyone?   Anyone else confuse the message with the medium it's delivered on? 

I mean, I wasn't a fan of the ad either, but it's not like the political message was to join the Hitler Youth .. no brainer for the JS to print it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #433 on: June 08, 2010, 05:32:09 PM »
A friend of mine said she'd canceled her Journal-Sentinel subscription over the faculty advertisement.

Does that make ANY sense to anyone?   Anyone else confuse the message with the medium it's delivered on? 

I mean, I wasn't a fan of the ad either, but it's not like the political message was to join the Hitler Youth .. no brainer for the JS to print it.

It took her that long....I would have canceled it years ago for decidedly other reasons.