collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NL Central Pissing Match - 2010  (Read 51499 times)

copious1218

• All American
Re: NL Central Pissing Match - 2010
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2010, 05:46:23 PM »
Zambrano to the bullpen? Really?!

Followed quickly by Jeff Suppan

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2010, 07:36:43 AM »
Can't say I didn't call this.  Unbelievable.  The Brewers are always the same.  21 straight years of the same stuff.  Go off for a series and you can be sure a sweep is coming in the next one.

A bunch of brewer fans I know were worried about this...and it came true.  From what i gathered this weekend, the brewers pitching all around is hurting!  They will show a glimpse of brilliance but other than that...yuck!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2010, 09:32:38 AM »
After a Cubs sweep at Wrigley North, the lack of activity on this thread really speaks volumes about how little Cubs fans care about this alledged rivalry with the Brewers.

(Yes, I realize that I'm a Cubs fan on this thread pointing out that no Cubs fans are on this thread)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2010, 10:12:08 AM »
Or just the fact that most Brewers and Cubs fans pretty much realize that both of these teams are pretty long shots for the playoffs (don't mean to speak for the Cubs fans, or for all Brewers fans, but that's the feeling I've gotten from both fan bases). Andlets be honest, it's early and both teams have been inconsistent. The Cubs get swept by the Astros (after they had won just 1 game to that point in the season), the Brewers win 4 straight games by 8+ runs (the last 1 a 20-0 win) and then the tables turn for both teams. Cubs sweep. I'd expect more inconsistency from both teams.

Plus, with thr Cubs getting Suppan, Bush, and Davis is anybody really surprised the Cubs got the sweep? As I showed before, I sure wasn't.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »
The Cubs get swept by the Astros (after they had won just 1 game to that point in the season),

The Cubs actually lost 2 of 3, they weren't swept and the Astros had 2 wins before that series.  Eithwer way, your point is correct, both teams are highly inconsistent thus far.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »
Or just the fact that most Brewers and Cubs fans pretty much realize that both of these teams are pretty long shots for the playoffs (don't mean to speak for the Cubs fans, or for all Brewers fans, but that's the feeling I've gotten from both fan bases). Andlets be honest, it's early and both teams have been inconsistent. The Cubs get swept by the Astros (after they had won just 1 game to that point in the season), the Brewers win 4 straight games by 8+ runs (the last 1 a 20-0 win) and then the tables turn for both teams. Cubs sweep. I'd expect more inconsistency from both teams.

Plus, with thr Cubs getting Suppan, Bush, and Davis is anybody really surprised the Cubs got the sweep? As I showed before, I sure wasn't.

You seem to be realistic about the Brewers this season and I agree with you that neither fanbase views their team as a serious contender, but if both teams continue to play mediocre baseball and the Brewers sweep the Cubs at Wrigley, do you think there would be a collective shrug from Brewers fans? I highly doubt it.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2010, 10:57:32 AM »
You seem to be realistic about the Brewers this season and I agree with you that neither fanbase views their team as a serious contender, but if both teams continue to play mediocre baseball and the Brewers sweep the Cubs at Wrigley, do you think there would be a collective shrug from Brewers fans? I highly doubt it.

Agreed...especially how absolutely one-sided the series was...if the shoe was on the other foot there would've been a lot more activity around here...Cubs fans know who our primary rivals are but, without question, the Brewers have been added to the list within the last several years due to their improvement.

It's way too early to say either team is not a contender....a lot of variables but with the Brewers lineup and if the Cubs starting pitching continues both teams could stay in the picture.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2010, 11:39:27 AM »
It's been awhile since I've posted this:

reinko

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2010, 11:44:08 AM »
It's been awhile since I've posted this:

Oh I miss that frackin' picture at the bottom of your signature, every time you posted it gave me a small seizure.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2010, 05:27:28 PM »
This will make the Fielder free agency even more exciting:

Phillies just signed Howard to 5 year/$125M deal.  This takes Howard off the free agent market (he was scheduled to hit FA at the same time as Fielder) and sets a financial precedent Boras will go after.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2010, 07:54:57 PM »
maybe this should be for another thread, but i really hope the brewers dont go and try to commit that type of money to Prince.  nothing against Prince, but selling time might be rapidly approaching.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2010, 10:12:25 PM »
i really hope the brewers dont go and try to commit that type of money to Prince. 

That would be a bargain. If the Brewers could get Prince to sign a 5/$125M contract I assure you they would do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, that contract would probably be about 3 years and $75M short for Prince and his agent. I would wholeheartedly support the 5/125. I am not as hot about anything significantly more than that. He has hall of fame talent, but he is obviously a big guy that most definitely could be an injury risk as he gets older.  I will be very surprised if he signs anything shorter than 7-8 years, which almost assuredly means it won't be with the Brewers.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
That would be a bargain. If the Brewers could get Prince to sign a 5/$125M contract I assure you they would do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, that contract would probably be about 3 years and $75M short for Prince and his agent. I would wholeheartedly support the 5/125. I am not as hot about anything significantly more than that. He has hall of fame talent, but he is obviously a big guy that most definitely could be an injury risk as he gets older.  I will be very surprised if he signs anything shorter than 7-8 years, which almost assuredly means it won't be with the Brewers.

Yeah, I should have been specific when I said something for Boras to shoot for (not saying you misinterpreted, just using the opportunity to clarify).  I didn't mean $125M - I agree, the Brewers would be in play if that were it.  I was more referencing the $25M/year that Boras will seek and at 7-8 years I have to believe the Brewers will not pull the trigger.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2010, 11:11:23 PM »
my bad too, i guess i never really even considered the years on that kind of deal.  5 years would be nice, but thats half of what I've been hearing Prince is likely after.  once you get north of 5, I couldn't agree more that there are just too many longevity questions to commit that long.  especially for a team without money to waste like the crew, to commit that long for that much money is something i would be skeptical of for even a player that carried less risk.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2010, 11:21:46 PM »
Don't forget that Howard is 31, 5 years older than Prince.  He probably can't command as many years as Prince is going to be able to. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2010, 07:22:27 AM »

What about 3 yrs. at 80 or 85?  Keeping the Brewers relevant with him and Braun, and then giving Prince still the opportunity to get a big old payday at age 28 or so.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2010, 07:42:06 AM »
Again, the Brewers would sign on for that as quickly as they possibly could. If Prince did that however when he could easily get an 8+ year deal, I would suggest that his agent should be fired, if not shot. He is young enough that he will still probably get another pretty decent size contract after this first one runs out. Plus he has that $200M in the bank. I see no reason for him to take $80M, when he can easily guarantee 2-3 times that much.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2010, 08:08:48 AM »
Here is the thing about Prince.

Where the hell else is he going to go play that will pay him that much money for that much time?

He doesn't WANT to DH, but I'm sure he could be paid not to play 1st base.

A lot of teams have good 1st basemen locked up for solid periods of time.

On a side note, I wonder what the score of a Cubs/Pirates game would be... 70-0?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2010, 08:37:18 AM »

Where the hell else is he going to go play that will pay him that much money for that much time?

Good question, and you are right, not a lot of teams willing shell that kind of kwan for Prince.

The teams with a 1st Base need and the $ to do it include: Bo Sox*, Mets, White Sox, Cubs, & Dodgers. 

I guess first one that gives a # that starts with a 2 wins.

*Currently Youklis is there, but he can play third or the OF if necessary.  I feel like an AL team is the right fit because you could always hide as a DH if need be.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2010, 09:22:23 AM »
This doesn't bode well for the Brewers. If the Brewers commit $25M to one guy and he gets hurt and/or struggles, it will be hard for them to compete without unloading that contract. Adrian Gonzalez and Albert Pujols are both looking for new contracts as well and will likely get similar deals to Howard. Prince is still Milwaukee's property until after 2011 and he's the type of guy who might be more valuable trading in order to get a boatload of prospects from someone like the Red Sox (who have a stud 1B prospect in Lars Anderson). Seriously, with Fenway's RF fence being about 300 feet away, Prince could hit 65 HRs playing there 81 times a season.

If he leaves Milwaukee via free agency, I could actually see him going to a place like Seattle. They have money and it's a relaxed, low-key city that's out of the MLB spotlight. The M's are definitely in need of a big stick in that line-up and Milton Bradley's terrible deal comes off the books after 2011 thus freeing up some money.

By the way, how quickly would Brewer fans turn on Prince if he signed with the Cubs? Would he become Public Enemy #1 before or after the ink dries on the contract?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:25:08 AM by MerrittsMustache »

LON

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2010, 09:23:03 AM »

On a side note, I wonder what the score of a Cubs/Pirates game would be... 70-0?

No kidding, another football score against the Pirates...when do they get contracted?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2010, 01:34:11 PM »
I was about to ask if Wells would get yanked before recording an out, but I was to late.

0.0 IP 6 hits 5 runs.  Yikes.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2010, 01:53:14 PM »
I was about to ask if Wells would get yanked before recording an out, but I was to late.

0.0 IP 6 hits 5 runs.  Yikes.

And then the Cubs put on Fukadome and Theriot with no outs only to follow it up with a strike em out throw em out DP as Lee watches the 3rd strike go by on a hit and run...sigh

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2010, 12:49:29 PM »
Sayonara, Jeff Suppan!

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2010, 01:34:35 PM »
Sayonara, Jeff Suppan!

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

Now if we could just do the same to Ken Macha.  I'm seriously beginning to think he's worse than Ned Yost, and I never imagined that could be possible.  He's just as bad at handling his pitchers and what is he doing with the lineup?  He has to figure out where he wants to bat Fielder, Braun, and McGehee in the lineup and be consistent with it.  You can't move your 3 best hitters around in the lineup every game.  In the 3 game series against St. Louis those 3 hit in 3 different spots in the lineup.  That's ridiculous to do in June against the division leader.  Figure out where you want them and let them get settled in.  Not to mention, offense is about the last of our problems, so I'm not sure why he feels the need to change the lineup around so much.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback