[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NL Central Pissing Match - 2010  (Read 51190 times)

copious1218

• All American
NL Central Pissing Match - 2010
« on: March 27, 2010, 01:58:38 PM »
With MU basketball over until October, and opening day a mere 8 days away, I thought it was about time to get this started up again.  Any predictions for the upcoming season? 

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: NL Central Pissing Match - 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 02:02:58 PM »
The Cubs will suck.

That is all.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 04:11:55 PM »
if the top end of the cards pitching staff holds up, i just dont see how anyone in the division can/will beat them. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 10:33:41 PM »
Cardinals should be good. Brewers looking pretty good as well. I think its entirely possible the Cubs could finish behind the Reds. Tough to say really...I would pick the Cardinals, but I can't say I would be terribly surprised by anyone (except the Pirates) winning it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:40:44 AM »
1. Cards
2. Cubs
3. Brewers
4. Reds
5. Astros
6. Pirates

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:28:25 AM »
Cardinals should be good. Brewers looking pretty good as well. I think its entirely possible the Cubs could finish behind the Reds. Tough to say really...I would pick the Cardinals, but I can't say I would be terribly surprised by anyone (except the Pirates) winning it.

The Brewers pitching rotation leaves a lot to be desired.  You have Gallardo (staff ace, potential all-star)...and then?  Randy Wolf (OK, hope he pans out).  And then?  Parra, Suppan, Looper, Davis.  Your basic pile of crap that I guess could present some surprises, but probably as much chance of presenting some disappointments.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 01:33:02 PM »

Your basic pile of crap that I guess could present some surprises, but probably as much chance of presenting some disappointments.

That's about how I see it, but I am taking the optimistic view...I think Gallardo and Wolf will be a very solid 1-2, and I expect Bush to pitch the way he did before he got drilled in the arm last year, which will be a solid third starter, and I look at Davis being around .500. The best thing that could happen to the Brewers would be Suppan suffering a career ending injury so they don't have any reason to trot his tired bones out there. The bullpen looks pretty solid, and I'll be surprised if they don't score plenty of runs.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »
I look at it like this: the Brewers were a .500 team last year (80-82, so I guess a tiny below that), and they had a pitching staff of Gallardo, Looper, Bush, Suppan, and whoever Macha decided to throw out there (Parra, Villanueva, etc.).  This year it's Gallardo, Wolf, Davis, Bush, and (hopefully) Parra.  While this year is not good either, it is MUCH improved from last year's staff.

Last year Gallardo was probably a number 2 pitcher, this year hopefully he's ready to be a number 1 pitcher.  Then you had Looper, who should've been a number 5 at best.  This year you replace that with Wolf, who's probably a solid number 3 starter.  Last year you had Bush, who was also probably a number 5 at best, and this year you replace him with Davis, who's probably a number 4.  Then there's Bush this season at 4, who's probably a number 5, replacing Suppan, who's not even near a number 5 starter.  And then hopefully Parra can begin to reach his potential this year and be a solid back end starter (not sure he will though).  So while the rotation still isn't good, it's much better.

And I think the defense will be improved while the offense will be about the same (Gomez in place of Cameron takes a hit on the offense, but getting Weeks back and hopefully healthy will help that).

My hope is that the Brewers are in the high 80s in wins this year and battling for the Wild Card spot.  I think the Cardinals easily have the best team, and then there will also be one surprise player for them, just like every season.

My prediction is:
1. Cardinals
2. Brewers (think they win the Wild Card)
3. Reds
4. Cubs
5. Astros
6. Pirates

It wouldn't surprise me to see teams 2-5 shuffle around, though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 02:21:01 PM »
The Brewers bullpen still sucks.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 02:30:24 PM »

There is more concern about the SP than the RP. The bullpen will be fine...Hoffman, Coffey and Hawkins will hold it down.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 02:35:21 PM »

Yep, but not as bad as the Cubs apparently; at least last year.

'09 Bullpen ERA

Brewers - 3.97
Cubs - 4.06

My predicted order of finish

Cards (by at least 5 games)
Brewers
Cubs
Reds
Astros
Pirates

I would be very surprised if the Cards don't win if they stay relatively healthy.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see the wild card come out of the central (Brewers or Cubs). A lot of people seem to be high on the Reds but I just don't see enough talent on that team right now for them to contend, but they only finished a couple games behind the crew last year so what do I know.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 06:28:56 PM »
Yep, but not as bad as the Cubs apparently; at least last year.

I agree. To hear a Cub fan talk about how the Brewers' bullpen sucks is laughable. The Brewers will not have a dominant bullpen, by any means, but to say it sucks is pretty funny.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
the reds just dont have enough SP. they are making some solid strides in their lineup, but their pitching is a threat to get shallacked everyday. if they played in a different park, their stats would be even worse.

LON

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 09:18:48 AM »
I'm just happy that this is the final year of Suppan's contract.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 09:47:57 AM »
Holy crap a lot of you are talking out of your Ass, Braden Looper is NO LONGER A BREWERS STARTER. Jesus if you're going to bullcrap at least get the roster right.

Now onto the Brewers pitching staff:
Starters: Gallardo, Wolf, Davis, Parra Bush/Suppan. This is actually a pretty good rotation. Back to back to back lefties on days 2 3 and 4 is pretty nice, not a lot of rotations have that. Parra is something of a headcase though. but moving him back to day four or even 5 takes a lot of pressure off him. Bush is often lights out April-june 1, so I can't complain about that. I wish Suppan would get traded or cut, but as a 5th+ starter, I won't expect a whole lot and he can always sub on an injury.

Bold Prediction: Capuano makes a (LATE) start for the Brewers/ Jeremy Jeffress doesn't smoke pot all season.

Vargas, Stetter, Narveson (two more lefties) and Villanueva aren't terrible relievers. Vargas can always come in if there is an injury in the rotation.

If the Brewers can get to Coffey/Hawkins/Hoffmann they should be in good shape.

On the offensive side, the Gamel injury could end up being pretty bad. I'm not sure McGehee can repeat his stats from last year. not sure what I think about the catchers I'd rather see a LuCroy or Salome in the majors. I love the real combination of speed and power the Brewers order has with Braun/Fielder and Weeks/Escobar/Carlos Gomez.

Bold Prediction: Braun, Gomez, Edmonds become the Regular outfield starters.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 09:56:30 AM »
There is more concern about the SP than the RP. The bullpen will be fine...Hoffman, Coffey and Hawkins will hold it down.

Long relief will be Parra/Suppan.  I'm pretty sure, I could be mistaken, that the Brewers are thinking its Suppan or Parra for the fifth spot with the loser going relief.

Offense will be fine as long as the double headed monster (Braun/Prince) stays healthy.
Marquette University, Spring '08

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 10:05:11 AM »
After reading some of these posts from Brewers fans, I think they're trying to steal Cubs' fans title as the eternal optimists...or clueless homers. Whichever you prefer.

That being said, my Cubs are built to win the World Series! Unfortunately, they're built to win the 2007 World Series and it's 2010. They're not going anywhere.

The Brewers could win 90 games or they could win 70 games - neither would surprise me. Young guys and inconsistent pitching usually don't work out well though.

I'd be shocked if the WC came from the Central because I could see 85 wins being enough to take the division.

Prediction...
1. Cardinals
2. Reds
t3. Cubs
t3. Brewers
5. Astros
6. Pirates

Overly elaborate prediction:The Cards, Cubs, and Brewers will be in a 3-team race most of the season but the Cubs and Brewers will both falter down the stretch and actually get passed by the surging Reds (who fired Dusty at the ASB). The Cards win 85, Reds 83, Cubs & Brewers 81.

OK, so maybe that wasn't much pissing but I really think that the top teams in the NL Central will be pretty mediocre this season. (Are there varying degrees of mediocre?)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:07:11 AM by MerrittsMustache »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 10:24:50 AM »
Bold Prediction: Braun, Gomez, Edmonds become the Regular outfield starters.

+1.

Well, I'm not sure about exactly how many starts Edmonds gets, but Corey Hart is not long for the everyday RF job.  I say get what you can for him (which has been progressively less every day since I started saying that about 2-3 years ago).  then use the money on Chad Gaudin.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 10:46:56 AM »
+1.

Well, I'm not sure about exactly how many starts Edmonds gets, but Corey Hart is not long for the everyday RF job.  I say get what you can for him (which has been progressively less every day since I started saying that about 2-3 years ago).  then use the money on Chad Gaudin.

Ever since the 2007 season (and first half of 08) he's gone downhill. strikes out almost once a game, 11/18 on steals last year, lowest batting average of career, only 12 HRs, 48 RBIs. Even if he did have an appendicitis, those are low numbers.

Depending how Lorenzo Cain does in AAA and how Gomez plays in Center, I bet Corey Hart is traded by the AS Break.

We'll have to see how Brett Lawrie does in the Minors too and how much money Prince wants/what teams need a DH

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 10:50:51 AM »
That being said, my Cubs are built to win the World Series! Unfortunately, they're built to win the 2007 World Series and it's 2010.

That is a great line. Did you come up with that one yourself? Love it.

Young guys and inconsistent pitching usually don't work out well though.

The Brewers aren't really particularly young anymore though. They have many veterans, and I think Braun and Gomez have the least MLB experience and both of them will be starting their 4th season. If anything I would say the Brewers 'young guys' are all hitting what in theory would be the primes of their careers.

Otherwise I think you are pretty much on the money. All about pitching as usual. Whomever gets it will win the mediocre division.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 11:15:32 AM »
That is a great line. Did you come up with that one yourself? Love it.

The Brewers aren't really particularly young anymore though. They have many veterans, and I think Braun and Gomez have the least MLB experience and both of them will be starting their 4th season. If anything I would say the Brewers 'young guys' are all hitting what in theory would be the primes of their careers.

Otherwise I think you are pretty much on the money. All about pitching as usual. Whomever gets it will win the mediocre division.

Yes, I did come up that line myself. Thank you. As a life-long Cubs fan you have to develop a sense of humor or you'll lose your mind.

I looked into it and I stand corrected on the Brewers "young guys." Escobar and Gomez are young but McGehee (a Cubs cast-off) and Kottaras aren't as young as I had originally thought. Perhaps I should have replaced "young" with "inexprienced."

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 12:06:45 PM »
I agree. To hear a Cub fan talk about how the Brewers' bullpen sucks is laughable. The Brewers will not have a dominant bullpen, by any means, but to say it sucks is pretty funny.

I never said the Cubs bullpen doesn't suck.  It does.  They have 3 rookies in the pen.  Just because the Cubs bullpen sucks doesn't mean I can't say the Brewers bullpen sucks.

Based on your logic, because the Cubs bullpen sucks, I can't say that the Pirates bullpen sucks either.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 12:13:43 PM »
Holy crap a lot of you are talking out of your Ass, Braden Looper is NO LONGER A BREWERS STARTER. Jesus if you're going to bullcrap at least get the roster right.
One person said Looper was a starter, and he clearly is not a Brewers fan.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 09:02:06 PM »
I have said the Reds could be near the top of the division for 3 years...i have given up on that as Dusty Baker has ruined yet another young pitching staff!

As for the brewers, I don't see them doing much better than last year. I am going out on a limb to say the Mets will be the Wild Card before the brewers.  Gallardo is a good ace!  It sounds like everyone has put their money in the Randy Wolf hat...my guess is he turns out about as well as Jeff Suppan (at one time the brewers richest contract in team history).  The rest of the rotation has proven to be sub-par!  As a cubs fan, it hurt to see the brewers pick up Jimmy Edmonds, because he still has some life in him!  I don't see the brewers making the playoffs.

As for the Cubs, pitching is overall weak as I don't see randy wells doing well (sophomore slump!).  Hitting is there but it never happens.  I don't see the Cubs making the playoffs either.  Its the Cardinals divsion to lose

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
As much as it pains me, I don't think the Brewers are capable of much more than what they did last year.  Even if Randy Wolf and (one of my favorites) Doug Davis helps to shore up the pitching staff, that offense is far from balanced.  Braun and Prince are unbelievable, but the Crew is kinda counting on a healthy Rickie Weeks, a non-useless Carlos Gomez, an improvement year for Corey Hart, Casey McGehee to be the real thing, and Escobar to provide consistent hitting in his rookie year to balance out that lineup.  Too many contingencies for a team trying to make the playoffs, IMO. 

+1 on the Cubs having the right team 3 years late...they've had that problem for 2 years now.  I don't see how they sneak into the playoffs.  If I were a Cubs fan I'd secretly be rooting for a bad first half so you can sell off whats left of Derrek Lee, Zambrano, and/or Aramis to a contender for parts.

feedback