[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NL Central Pissing Match - 2010  (Read 51187 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: NL Central Pissing Match - 2010
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »
They traded Hardy for Gomez who has the defense of Cameron, and they have Escobar up for Hardy (which was the plan for a while).

Escobar is far better than Hardy on defense and more of an OBP guy than Hardy.  Loss of some power, but Hardy was flat bad last year.

Gomez is a downgrade at CF offensively, but they save a TON of money and he could develop into a decent hitter.  Remember he isn't some joker, he was a highly regarded prospect at one time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »
The end of that Reds vs. Cubs game was some awful baseball.  That relief pitcher that pitched the 8th for the Cubs was AWFUL.  Starts off the inning with 2 walks...never a good thing.  Then a perfect bunt by the Reds, and then a dinger.  Top 9 Lee ripped that ball, but then the Reds did everything they could to hand that game back to the Cubs.  Two straight awful errors on the left side of the infield to load up the bases.  Of course Soriano ends it for them, though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2010, 09:24:43 PM »
The end of that Reds vs. Cubs game was some awful baseball.  That relief pitcher that pitched the 8th for the Cubs was AWFUL.  Starts off the inning with 2 walks...never a good thing.  Then a perfect bunt by the Reds, and then a dinger.  Top 9 Lee ripped that ball, but then the Reds did everything they could to hand that game back to the Cubs.  Two straight awful errors on the left side of the infield to load up the bases.  Of course Soriano ends it for them, though.

Two things: 1) As bad as Caridad looked tonight, he is going to be a damn good pitcher; 2) Soriano didn't end the game - Chad Tracy did.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2010, 09:34:21 PM »
You have zero knowledge of the Brewers farm system. That is all.

I already admitted to being wrong. Thanks for being an a-hole though. That is all.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2010, 01:22:16 PM »
My Chicago roommate is watching the Cubs and they were showing a guy with a mullet, so their commentators were ripping on this guy.  "Joe Dirt at the ball game today.  If you can't grow it in the front, grow it in the back."  Funny stuff, but it's somewhat classless.  The dude's just sitting watching the game.  Let him be.  If he's streaking across the field then it's a different story, but come on, let him enjoy his day.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2010, 10:13:46 AM »
My Chicago roommate is watching the Cubs and they were showing a guy with a mullet, so their commentators were ripping on this guy.  "Joe Dirt at the ball game today.  If you can't grow it in the front, grow it in the back."  Funny stuff, but it's somewhat classless.  The dude's just sitting watching the game.  Let him be.  If he's streaking across the field then it's a different story, but come on, let him enjoy his day.

How did the Cubs broadcasters ripping on the guy affect his ability to watch the game or enjoy his day?  I realize you are a Brewers fan, but this is a lame reason to complain about the Cubs.  Meanwhile, I hope the Brewers can win today.  I hate the Cards.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »
How did the Cubs broadcasters ripping on the guy affect his ability to watch the game or enjoy his day?  I realize you are a Brewers fan, but this is a lame reason to complain about the Cubs.  Meanwhile, I hope the Brewers can win today.  I hate the Cards.
I'm just saying I don't think it's really necessary to pick a guy out in a crowd and essentially call him white trash.  I'd agree if a Cubs fan heard the Brewers broadcasters doing so and said it was inappropriate.  I just don't see why it was necessary at all for them to do that.  Like I said, it's one thing if it's a belligerently drunk person streaking across the field (or throwing a beer at a player) to pick him out and rip on them.  If it's just some guy sitting in the stands enjoying a baseball game I don't really understand the point or necessity, regardless of what team's broadcaster is doing it.  It would kind of suck for him if a friend of his watched the game and told him he was on TV, only to hear it was so that he could be called Joe Dirt for his mullet.

I, too, hope the Brewers can win today, but with Carpenter on the mound, I am not very optimistic.  After Stavinoa golfed one out of the park from his knees on Friday when they were down to their last strike, I figured it would be a sweep.  The Brewers ALWAYS get owned by pitchers they have not seen before (it was that guy's 2nd MLB start ever yesterday), and then Carpenter is Carpenter.

I'm already just hoping for a shot at the Wild Card.  I think it would take MORE THAN one significant injury for the Cardinals not to win the division (and as much as I can't stand the Cardinals, I don't like seeing teams win divisions/games because of an injury to a player on another team).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:00:01 AM by wadesworld »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »

The Brewers ALWAYS get owned by pitchers they have not seen before (it was that guy's 2nd MLB start ever yesterday), and then Carpenter is Carpenter.

You realize that every team says this? And it's never really true?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2010, 12:19:21 PM »
You realize that every team says this? And it's never really true?
Yeah I know everyone says that, but I honestly can't remember the last time the Brewer's knocked around a rookie pitcher (or even got a win against 1) making one of his first 4 or 5 starts ever.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2010, 02:42:23 PM »
Yeah I know everyone says that, but I honestly can't remember the last time the Brewer's knocked around a rookie pitcher (or even got a win against 1) making one of his first 4 or 5 starts ever.

This was a hot topics last year in Chicago because Sox fans were complaining a ton. I believe it was the Red Sox who lost to pitchers they had ever seen before the most, and I want to say the percentage was only 32-35%

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2010, 06:52:47 PM »
Five years left on Soriano's contract...That thing seems to be getting longer instead of shorter. Almost making Barry Zito and Vernon Wells look like good deals.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2010, 11:14:12 PM »
so after watching that great game tonight, I really wish I were able to catch Ueck's call of the McGehee homer at the very least.  does anyone know of a site or anything where I would be able to go back and listen to it?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2010, 11:31:02 PM »
so after watching that great game tonight, I really wish I were able to catch Ueck's call of the McGehee homer at the very least.  does anyone know of a site or anything where I would be able to go back and listen to it?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/56616762.html

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2010, 12:08:07 AM »
absolutely perfect.  thanks a ton.  Ueck might be the best cure for a little homesickness.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2010, 09:31:24 AM »

Right or wrong, it is the job of the entire TV crew (producer, cameramen, broadcasters, etc.) to give the audience what they want.  Many, but not all, of Cubs fans are "entertained" by such things as mullets and 19-year olds in bikinis more so than any other fan base in baseball - showing more of this stuff during a game leads to higher ratings.  This isn't a cut against the Northsiders, it's simply a marketing strategy to increase revenue.

You can draw your own inference from this, but I know a lot of Cub fans who couldn't care less about how many Trixies are in the crowd that day; however, there are plenty of other fans that do.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mueagle09

• Walk-On
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2010, 10:34:47 PM »
Fun fact:  The day the Marquette "Gold" decision came out, LaTroy was blowing the 2nd of his 3 straight blown games against the Brewers.

As a Chicago fan I was also at that game.  However it was Roberto Novoa, not LaTroy Hawkins that blew the game. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2010, 07:13:01 AM »

Weren't the Brewers like 0-6 last year in games against a pitcher making his major league debut?  It was something ridiculous like that.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
As a Chicago fan I was also at that game.  However it was Roberto Novoa, not LaTroy Hawkins that blew the game. 

Now that I think about it more you're right!  Thanks for the correction!

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »
Weren't the Brewers like 0-6 last year in games against a pitcher making his major league debut?  It was something ridiculous like that.
That's certainly what it feels like.  I honestly don't remember us winning any.  But as ptm pointed out, many teams claim such, and it's often not nearly as bad as it seems.  But in the past year or two the Brewers have seemed awful.
Right or wrong, it is the job of the entire TV crew (producer, cameramen, broadcasters, etc.) to give the audience what they want.  Many, but not all, of Cubs fans are "entertained" by such things as mullets and 19-year olds in bikinis more so than any other fan base in baseball - showing more of this stuff during a game leads to higher ratings.  This isn't a cut against the Northsiders, it's simply a marketing strategy to increase revenue.

You can draw your own inference from this, but I know a lot of Cub fans who couldn't care less about how many Trixies are in the crowd that day; however, there are plenty of other fans that do.
Sounds like a fair assessment.  I'm just not a big fan of it personally.  It's funny, but the guy was not doing anything wrong and I just don't see the point of singling out somebody who's just catching a baseball game on a nice day.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2010, 05:40:18 PM »
Hawkins?

You mean the guy that sucked on the cubs? the giants? the yankees? and the astros?

I wouldn't put too much stock into him. 

Hawkins? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »
Hawkins? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy....LaTroy, your table is ready.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2010, 12:22:12 PM »
I'm amazed Macha didn't have a lefty (or anyone else) warming up at all that inning.  He could have brought him in to face Fukudome who hit the game winning single.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2010, 12:24:53 PM »
I'm amazed Macha didn't have a lefty (or anyone else) warming up at all that inning.  He could have brought him in to face Fukudome who hit the game winning single.

If he would have brought in a lefty, I have to think D. Lee would have gotten that at bat (then move Nady from 1B to RF for top of 9).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
No kidding. It'd be nice if the Brewers had a manager who could get a clue as to when a pitcher doesn't have it. Top 2 of the inning get out. After a single and 2 walks you have to have somebody ready to come in. Then after a single you HAVE to go get him. And he STILL let him in after another single. And it's not like he's trying to save the bullpen. Bush went deep into the game and it's the bottom of the 8th. Unbelievable.