Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JayMay "true story" from Scout board  (Read 21424 times)

MrRivals150

• Scholarship Player
  • MARQ bball, the real bball team of the state
Re: JayMay "true story" from Scout board
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2009, 12:22:07 PM »
There are several doubts I have with the story:

- When this all happened several posters said Tim Maymon seemed fine at the UW game supporting MU and cheering them on.

- Like the previous poster said Jimmy said he just had a normal conversation with Jerrone and they didn't bring it up

- To get to the lower level of the AL you need either a card to swipe in or know the code on the doors.  I'm guessing Tim Maymon knows neither of these.  While a staff member could have let him in the building to meet with the AD, Tim couldn't simply run into practice from upstairs.

I'm looking into the ticket office issue right now, I have people that work in that department.  Will let you know if it is True in the next day or two.
Clay for Heisman 2010, Buzz for Recruiter of the year

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2009, 12:22:24 PM »
How it exactly went down that day is kind of irrelevant.  What is clear that it’s not one person making the decision to cut ties with Maymon.   Outside looking in, it appears this has been going on for a while and that this was a decision made by everyone from the AD, head coach, assistant coaches, etc.  Hell Dick Strong probably had a say in it after having to sit near that d-bag Tim Maymon at the games.   Whether he was warned or not is the bigger question.    

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »
How it exactly went down that day is kind of irrelevant.  What is clear that it’s not one person making the decision to cut ties with Maymon.   Outside looking in, it appears this has been going on for a while and that this was a decision made by everyone from the AD, head coach, assistant coaches, etc.  Hell Dick Strong probably had a say in it after having to sit near that d-bag Tim Maymon at the games.   Whether he was warned or not is the bigger question.    

Just speculating, but if Buzz was careful enough to involve Cottingham, et al. I'm sure he had previous, documented, conversations with TM regarding distractions and what that would mean to Jeronne.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2009, 01:19:44 PM »
FWIW, I just got back from the Al, and the arena doors were wide open.  I saw no less than 10 people go in/out of the arena without a question, mainly because nobody was at the front desk.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »
Guys...if it was 100% BS, John Dodds, who works for the BB program, would have removed it from his site.

Depends if it was on a blog or not....that's what determines if it is removed.   ;D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »

If you have a father that is berating athletic department officials, barging into practice, demanding to meet with the coach and/or AD at a moments notice, you may have no choice if it is affecting team chemistry.

The sad thing is that this should not have been a surprise to anyone.  Go on this very message board a year ago and look at the comments from people saying this was going to be a problem. 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2009, 03:19:25 PM »

The sad thing is that this should not have been a surprise to anyone.  Go on this very message board a year ago and look at the comments from people saying this was going to be a problem. 

True but there were also alarmists after Matthews signed his LOI and it turned out to be bunk.  I think it ended up being a "boy who cried wolf" type of thing.  Only this time, the wolf showed up.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2009, 03:21:14 PM »

In fairness Chicos, what has been disclosed today goes far beyond any meddling that MAY HAVE been anticipated by your omnipotence.

I agree that it was well known that Buzz was in for parental interference from TM, but if you tell me that you knew it would go this far, I call BS on you.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2009, 03:23:04 PM »
True but there were also alarmists after Matthews signed his LOI and it turned out to be bunk.  I think it ended up being a "boy who cried wolf" type of thing.  Only this time, the wolf showed up.

I honestly don't remember the Matthews thing at all.  Maymon was very very visible all the time, constantly being a problem. I don't think the same could ever be said about Wes' mom.  Perhaps I just don't remember it that well, but the rep with TM was through the roof.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2009, 03:24:53 PM »
FWIW, I just got back from the Al, and the arena doors were wide open.  I saw no less than 10 people go in/out of the arena without a question, mainly because nobody was at the front desk.

You also went to the Al on a weekday when all of the employees are there.  The doors are open because business is going on upstairs.  On a Sunday everything is locked.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2009, 03:27:43 PM »

In fairness Chicos, what has been disclosed today goes far beyond any meddling that MAY HAVE been anticipated by your omnipotence.

I agree that it was well known that Buzz was in for parental interference from TM, but if you tell me that you knew it would go this far, I call BS on you.

First off, I can't read the story anyway since it's on Dodds site.  So how far it went, I don't know based on whatever is written over there.

No one is clamiing to be "omnipotent" or to say it would turn out like it has....but what many people did say was this guy is a complete nutjob and there was  SIGNIFICANT reason why Crean and Ryan didn't go after him.  How do the two biggest programs and coaches in the state not go after the the Wisconsin basketball player of the year without knowing something?  Common sense.

I think a lot of people just wanted to look the other way and pretend it wasn't going to come up or wasn't a big deal. 

Unfortunately, that was naive thinking.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2009, 03:57:11 PM »
How do the two biggest programs and coaches in the state not go after the the Wisconsin basketball player of the year without knowing something?  Common sense.

Has this been confirmed somewhere?  Not to say that it isn't true, but I find it extremely hard to believe that Tom and Bo completely dismissed the thought of a scholarship offer to J-May from day 1.

It would be more plausible to me that an offer was made by one or both coaches with the understanding that there would be certain conditions on Tim Maymon's access and involvement and TM, unhappy with said conditions, told them to go "blank" themselves.  Maybe TM didn't want J-May to be at MU or UW to begin with and only opened up J-May to MU when he saw a new coach that he thought he would be able to push around.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
Has this been confirmed somewhere?  Not to say that it isn't true, but I find it extremely hard to believe that Tom and Bo completely dismissed the thought of a scholarship offer to J-May from day 1.

It would be more plausible to me that an offer was made by one or both coaches with the understanding that there would be certain conditions on Tim Maymon's access and involvement and TM, unhappy with said conditions, told them to go "blank" themselves.  Maybe TM didn't want J-May to be at MU or UW to begin with and only opened up J-May to MU when he saw a new coach that he thought he would be able to push around.

You never dismiss anything in the murky business of recruiting but both Crean and Ryan had been around long enough before Maymon matured as a player to know what would be involved in his recruitment. Both clearly decided against an active recruitment.

Also remember that both were riding pretty successful horses at that time. They weren't down in the dumps and they didn't need to build quickly so they were still in a position to decide how to proceed based on hindrance rather then sheer desire to win.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2009, 04:29:26 PM »

The other thing to think about from MU's perspective is that Crean was most likely going to land Jamil Wilson until he got the Indiana job.  In Crean's mind here probably wasn't a need to go after Maymon.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2009, 04:39:46 PM »

Mid afternoon on Monday is different than Sunday morning.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2009, 05:03:05 PM »
I have no information what happened at MU. However I can tell you that another school was asked to funnel money to an aau program for access to Maymon and another player. To my knowledge it is not illegal. The school in question refused. Maymon committed to MU shortly after this occurred.

There was so many things wrong with this entire situation from the outset. Maymon should have went to school a million miles away from his dad and aau coach. Buzz should have recognized that as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2009, 05:27:04 PM »
I have no information what happened at MU. However I can tell you that another school was asked to funnel money to an aau program for access to Maymon and another player. To my knowledge it is not illegal. The school in question refused. Maymon committed to MU shortly after this occurred.

There was so many things wrong with this entire situation from the outset. Maymon should have went to school a million miles away from his dad and aau coach. Buzz should have recognized that as well.

Absolutely agree on the miles away part.  Also agree on Buzz should have known, but in a way I think he did but was hoping it would work out.  Risk and reward.  Buzz needed to land a big, in-state recruit to show his recruiting prowess.  He obviously felt the risk was worth it.  This is why Crean and Ryan weren't going there, they had been established already and didn't need the headache.   Tough spot for Buzz, but the outcome is not surprising.

You nailed this one Denny, back in May of 2008.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2009, 05:35:46 PM »
Link at the start of this thread just went down the memory hole.  Perhaps he is coming back.   :o

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2009, 05:39:28 PM »
Link at the start of this thread just went down the memory hole.  Perhaps he is coming back.   :o

It went something like this:

Got this from a really connected guy (Aurianthal was is AAU coach, FYI)
So Tim Maymon shows up at the Kohl Center on Saturday night and goes over to the Marquette will call desk to get his tickets. The woman at the desk (who works for the Marquette ticket office) hands him his four tickets. Tim says there must be a mistake because he said he need a total of 20 tickets and demands his 16 other tickets. The woman tells him that even if she had 20 extra tickets, which she doesn't, she couldn't give him 20 tickets because NCAA Regulations only allow for 4 tickets per player.
Tim says: "Listen here, you  ____  ____  (worst you can say to a woman). I don't give a sh!! about NCAA regulations. Just give me my f-ing tickets."
The woman is basically in tears, so one of the other people at the table calms everyone down, says he'll see what he can do, and ushers Tim and family off into the game (with him bitching all the way).
We all saw or heard about Tim's antics during the game. Evidently, he was talked to by an assistant coach at some point and told very politely that he needed to tone it down. He didn't like hearing that and basically ignored it. Obviously, Marquette officials behind the bench were not pleased.
On to Sunday morning… Marquette had a practice at the Al McGuire center. As it's beginning, the doors fly open and Tim Maymon and Hennessey Auriantal come walking in. Tim is swearing up a storm again about his son playing the wrong position, not getting the ball, etc. Buzz calms him down and ushers him out and tells him that they'll talk after practice. The two go off to either the AD or assistant AD's office (who has already been briefed on the antics of Saturday night) and tear that guy a new a-hole for an hour. Finally, the AD has enough and walks the 2 back to practice. He pulls Buzz over in front of the team and says "Buzz, this has gone on long enough. If it's OK with you, I'm throwing these guys out of the building and I don't want to see them ever again." Buzz says fine and they tell Tim and Hennessey if they don't leave immediately, campus police will be called and they'll be arrested for trespassing. Buzz tells Jeronne to shower-up and head home… he's off the team.
On Sunday night into Monday, Jeronne calls everyone from Buzz, to the assistants, to his teammates and is basically in tears, saying that he doesn't want to leave the team. Buzz stands firm and basically spends the day Monday meeting with Marquette legal council and sports info to make sure that everything is in order. They put out the press release Monday night.

Gotta hold Buzz accountable for appeasing the Maymons for as long as he has...sucking minutes out of players who play a foot higher than J-May just to either A) get the delusional dad to settle down, or B) prove his first big signee was indeed, actually a stud, or C) prove he wasn't naive to believe things would change.   Strikes 1, 2, and 3.  Lesson learned.
I guess all the "J-May is too unselfish for his own good" talk from Buzz meant Jeronne was not standing up to his dad.?  Who knows on that count...  But, 9 games and out crushes any either notion: the unselfish thing or standing up to pappy. 
Anyway...Fulce comes out and plays well aganst NF (and, granted it's but one game) and it's like Buzz has to justify why he had buried this springy, team-first cat who has been, let's face it...easier to screw to this point.  So Buzz backpedals by insulting the kid (who he, of course, loves).  "Joe don't know the difference between and zone or man to man," as well as the 'ain't I quotable' thing about Joe's shot selection; the colorful "ten toes to the rim"  bit.  (Is Stockhole syndrome the goal here, or what?)
Yes, there's context, of course but....

I do agree, however, that J-May would have been valuable over the next few years if he could've accepted his 19 to 23 minutes, albeit having to do some of the same things that made him quit in the first place. (Talking about the real reasons.)  As it is... the team will be way better off not having to deal with the collateral Make Room for Daddy crap.
That said, Buzz's comments to the press have been well crafted and repackaged from the high road, you know, up where Fulce lives...and I'm sure he's looking out for J-May here, but it makes me wonder where the truth lies when, as Buzz  so often says "I will always tell you the truth."   I suppose some  willful ommission here and there is the go-to out-clause here and can be dumped into the the "best interest of the kid" bucket...I mean, there's always ways out of these things...   
Ultimately, I think Buzz is learning, and I'm nevertheless glad we have him finding talent and, for the most part, getting the "12 sons" to buy in.
Onward and upward.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2009, 05:47:14 PM »
Well done PRN, I was just looking for it in my cache, but it must be on my home computer.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2009, 01:40:04 AM »
The "true story" post does not jibe with what J. Butler said at last Thursday's presser.  Either  the players were indeed really shocked, or nobody on the team speaks to Jimmy.  

One does not speak "to" The Jimmy. One respectfully requests permission to speak in the presence of The Jimmy.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2009, 08:55:30 AM »
There's another option there, one that is incredibly common.  The players and coaches were coached by the PR team about what to say and how to say it.

Look back at the players that have left the team in recent years.  If you do enough digging, you'll find a pretty large difference in the story told to the media and the stories that those involved were telling off the record.

Jimmy Butler's comments at the presser weren't simply a spin of facts.  They blatantly contradicted what was posted in the original story (that PRN transcribed above).

I've been thinking about this... it's one thing for the PR dept. to do some coaching of players, but it's another thing to get them to out and out lie to the media (or perpetuate a fabrication).  What happens if the media catches the student-athlete in a lie or something that has been (or is later) proven to be false?  Now you have a player who now has to defend himself in front of the media, likely unprepared to do so, and probably unable to smooth-talk his way out of the situation.

So I ask, what is worse... the "secrecy" of what went on behind closed doors in this situation or the integrity of your player(s)?

I understand the delicate balance that exists in PR, but I don't think the MU PR machine would risk throwing an 18-22 year old kid under the bus (maybe at Louisville, Memphis or UK... but not MU) in this situation and as such, I do not think that Jimmy Butler was "coached" into saying that the team had no idea when it was announced to them that J-May had quit the team.  Therefore, I believe that the team honestly had no idea, or at the very least confirmation, that J-May had quit the team until Buzz talked to them on Monday.

I agree with you BMA that the PR machine is well-oiled at MU and elsewhere, but in this case, I think Jimmy was telling the truth at the presser about the team's knowledge of the situation.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2009, 09:37:24 AM »
My guess is that JB was telling the truth. 

I believe that the Sunday AM incident took place about as reported.  Following the ejection of TM and the AAU coach, Jeronne was told to shower up and leave. 

At that time he may not yet have been dismissed from the team. Just that in the interests of keeping the peace, he had had been asked to leave practice rather than have him stay and risk further disturbance from his father and the AAU coach.  Dismissal may have come subsequently on Sunday. 

Again, I'm just guessing the team found out about the dismissal after the fact, from Buzz so they really had no chance to discuss it at length with Jeronne, as JB stated.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2009, 09:40:39 AM »
The big problem that I have with the story is chances are they didn't practice Sunday after a late afternoon game Saturday. Buzz usually gives them the day off of practice after games. Now Monday, that I could see.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2009, 09:44:51 AM »
I understand the delicate balance that exists in PR, but I don't think the MU PR machine would risk throwing an 18-22 year old kid under the bus (maybe at Louisville, Memphis or UK... but not MU)

Why would you think that MU would be different?  I'm not saying that JB was coached or not, but I think it is incredibly naive to think that MU's PR operation would be different than any others.