Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JayMay "true story" from Scout board  (Read 21420 times)

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
JayMay "true story" from Scout board
« on: December 21, 2009, 04:28:53 AM »
I've moved on but this is interesting and makes some sense.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415&f=2850&t=5329674

If true, it is a really sad situation for Jeronne. 

avid1010

• All American
Re: JayMay "true story" from Scout board
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:44:21 AM »
Can Buzz legally kick a kid off the team because his father and AAU coach are jerks?  I hate to see J-May held accountable for his dad's actions, especially if he was enjoying MU and working hard.  I would have had the old man ticketed, removed his tickets, etc. but why kick J-May off the team if he wants to be here?

Looking back on things, I saw Tim Maymon sitting in front of me at an early season MU game...I sit on the opposite side of the benches.  Isn't it typical for parents to sit behind the bench?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 07:51:12 AM »
If that's true, HUGE stones on Cottingham.  HUGE. 

Although I'm wondering how Tim Maymon can just wander into a building that's locked on Sunday mornings, and into either A) the arena, which is also locked when not in game use, or B) the practice gym, which means gaining access to the locked lower level.

Looking back on things, I saw Tim Maymon sitting in front of me at an early season MU game...I sit on the opposite side of the benches.  Isn't it typical for parents to sit behind the bench?

Maybe it's a case of he let the university know too late that he'd be attending the game, so he got different reserved tickets.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:54:59 AM by Brewtown Andy »
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 08:05:01 AM »
Story has half truths. But it misses who quit and the demands for a release. JM could have severed ties with dad, but that wasn't going to happen.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:06:33 AM »
Can Buzz legally kick a kid off the team because his father and AAU coach are jerks?

*IF* this story is true, Buzz definitely can kick a kid off the team; however I doubt he could revoke the scholarship without just cause.  In this case the Maymons got their scholarship release so JM could transfer which also lets MU off the hook.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:10:55 AM »
If Jeronne really did call Buzz crying, telling him that he wanted to stay, why didn't he let him stay under certain conditions?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:11:52 AM »
Sad for all parties, but mostly for the kid.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 08:30:39 AM »
I don't believe it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 08:32:41 AM »
I have my doubts about this story.  It may have some facts, but it is clearly an editorial piece.  If you're presenting all of the facts, you can let them speak for themselves, no need to analyze the story.

The story is likely not 100% right or wrong... probably somewhere in the middle.  Nevertheless, when something that is not written by a professional journalist starts with "I got this from a connected source," "I have a friend who's on the inside," or something to that effect, chances are, it's probably more wrong than right.

We probably will never know all of the facts (particularly, what was said to Steve C. in his office), but I think if J-May was kicked off the team by Buzz or Steve, then Tim Maymon would have been crying about such an "injustice" from Day 1.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 08:35:31 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 08:35:56 AM »
Assuming every word of the story is true, the between the lines read is in that meeting, Buzz probably gave TM an ultimatum along the lines of " I love your kid, but you are becoming a distraction and a detriment.   If you can't back off and stop embarrassing your son and the program, we are going to have stop your association with this program"      Like most stories, I am sure there are bits of truth in there, but I don't think it is the whole story.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 08:43:41 AM »
Guys...if it was 100% BS, John Dodds, who works for the BB program, would have removed it from his site.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 08:58:09 AM »
Guys...if it was 100% BS, John Dodds, who works for the BB program, would have removed it from his site.

PRN is 100% correct.

Unless...

Dodds is looking to spin it in the program's favor, and is leaving the story up as a smoke screen...doubt it.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 09:03:18 AM »
Parts are true, parts are pure speculation.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 09:08:03 AM »
i dont think things are that simple.  No way he is kicked off the team for his fathers actions. 

Now if this was the straw that broke the camels back i could beleive it.  If there had been instances in the past where it got to the point that tim and Jerrone had been sat down and told this is the last straw and more BS and Jerrone will be aske dto leave.  I would then beleive that.  HArd to tell from this stroy if that was the case.  This story makes it seems as if this weekend blow up was the cause of everything and jerrone was blindsided.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 09:10:30 AM »
If Jeronne really did call Buzz crying, telling him that he wanted to stay, why didn't he let him stay under certain conditions?

Do you think Tim would have gone along with those conditions?  I don't think so.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 09:13:44 AM »
PRN is 100% correct.

Unless...

Dodds is looking to spin it in the program's favor, and is leaving the story up as a smoke screen...doubt it.

I still don't believe it.

I believe its very possible the incident with TM did occur, however, I don't think Buzz would make Jerrone pay for "the sins of the father".  

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 09:21:53 AM »
i dont think things are that simple.  No way he is kicked off the team for his fathers actions. 

Now if this was the straw that broke the camels back i could beleive it.  If there had been instances in the past where it got to the point that tim and Jerrone had been sat down and told this is the last straw and more BS and Jerrone will be aske dto leave.  I would then beleive that.  HArd to tell from this stroy if that was the case.  This story makes it seems as if this weekend blow up was the cause of everything and jerrone was blindsided.

my guess is that since Tim didn't announce where J-May was transferring to right away, that this wasn't Tim or Jeronne's decision.

MU in Miami

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 09:23:09 AM »
The "true story" post does not jibe with what J. Butler said at last Thursday's presser.  Either  the players were indeed really shocked, or nobody on the team speaks to Jimmy.  

bma725

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »
The "true story" post does not jibe with what J. Butler said at last Thursday's presser.  Either  the players were indeed really shocked, or nobody on the team speaks to Jimmy.  

There's another option there, one that is incredibly common.  The players and coaches were coached by the PR team about what to say and how to say it.

Look back at the players that have left the team in recent years.  If you do enough digging, you'll find a pretty large difference in the story told to the media and the stories that those involved were telling off the record.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 09:27:07 AM »
my guess is that since Tim didn't announce where J-May was transferring to right away, that this wasn't Tim or Jeronne's decision.

I'm willing to bet that they (Tim) never thought Buzz/Cottingham/MU would call their bluff.  I'm sure they (Tim) thought Jeronne would be moved to the three, and the rest of the line-up be shuffled to accomodate them.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »
There's another option there, one that is incredibly common.  The players and coaches were coached by the PR team about what to say and how to say it.

Look back at the players that have left the team in recent years.  If you do enough digging, you'll find a pretty large difference in the story told to the media and the stories that those involved were telling off the record.

And frankly, part of becoming a true "team" is taking that "what happens here, stays here" approach.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »
There's another option there, one that is incredibly common.  The players and coaches were coached by the PR team about what to say and how to say it.

Was just about to post the same thing. There is always more to the story than what is talked about in press conferences. I would imagine the Sports Information Department coached all of our guys up on what to say, and what not to say.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 09:32:13 AM »

Happens all the time in business.  At my previous employer, we were fed verbatims we were expected to recite to specific questions, and for any other questions we were taught how to  use the verbatims to answer those too.

To avoid any slander/libel accusations from TM, I'm sure the MU legal team helped put together specific talking points for all the players to learn.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »
There are several doubts I have with the story:

- When this all happened several posters said Tim Maymon seemed fine at the UW game supporting MU and cheering them on.

- Like the previous poster said Jimmy said he just had a normal conversation with Jerrone and they didn't bring it up

- To get to the lower level of the AL you need either a card to swipe in or know the code on the doors.  I'm guessing Tim Maymon knows neither of these.  While a staff member could have let him in the building to meet with the AD, Tim couldn't simply run into practice from upstairs.

feedback