collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Bands  (Read 26998 times)

lurch91

• All American
MU Bands
« on: July 24, 2009, 06:40:13 AM »
I was thinking about this on the way home last night when the BoDeans came on the radio.  During my time at Marquette I was able to witness some amazing music/concerts ('87-'91).  So who would you all put in your top 3 in each of the following categories?

Marquette Bands:
1) Surrender Dorothy
2) Your my Lunch (not sure if a true Marquette band, although I know a couple had attended Marquette for a semester or two)
3) The Gufs (I'm pretty sure I worked with a guy on Safety Patrol that was in the band - but not sure if they were all from Marquette)

Local Bands:
1) The BoDeans (saw them on a Wednesday night free concert at the Maritime festival - Elton John was playing to a sold out crowd at Marcus - but 15,000+ still showed up to see the BoDeans)
2) Pat McCurdy (Anyone else at Serb Hall during Senoir Week '91?) 
3) Paul Cebar & the Milwaukeeans

Top Marquette ASMU shows:
1) Peter Murphy & Nine Inch Nails (wasn't a Peter Murphy fan and had never heard of Nine Inch Nails so I didn't go, Doh!)
2) 10,000 Maniacs & Tracy Chapman
3) Matthew Sweet (he played to an empty Student Union in Dec '91)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: MU Bands
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:11:54 AM »
I heard a rumor that Pearl Jam played an ASMU show shortly before they released "10".  Can anyone confirm or deny?

For Marquette bands... West of Everywhere.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 08:14:13 AM »
Sum 41 played at the AMU in 2001 or 2002... I was a sophomore.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:43:45 AM »
Pearl Jam did in fact play a show at ASMU prior to becoming well known.  I was in school at the time ('89-'93) but can't remember the year.  Of course, me being the dumbass that I am did not attend for some reason or another, although a bunch of my friends did. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 08:46:30 AM »
Sum 41 played at the AMU in 2001 or 2002... I was a sophomore.

That was such a weird concert.  They were on the rise at that time and it seemed about 125 people attended the concert.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 09:09:35 AM »
I was thinking about this on the way home last night when the BoDeans came on the radio.  During my time at Marquette I was able to witness some amazing music/concerts ('87-'91).  So who would you all put in your top 3 in each of the following categories?

Marquette Bands:
1) Surrender Dorothy
2) Your my Lunch (not sure if a true Marquette band, although I know a couple had attended Marquette for a semester or two)
3) The Gufs (I'm pretty sure I worked with a guy on Safety Patrol that was in the band - but not sure if they were all from Marquette)

Local Bands:
1) The BoDeans (saw them on a Wednesday night free concert at the Maritime festival - Elton John was playing to a sold out crowd at Marcus - but 15,000+ still showed up to see the BoDeans)
3) Paul Cebar & the Milwaukeeans

Top Marquette ASMU shows:
1) Peter Murphy & Nine Inch Nails (wasn't a Peter Murphy fan and had never heard of Nine Inch Nails so I didn't go, Doh!)
2) 10,000 Maniacs & Tracy Chapman
3) Matthew Sweet (he played to an empty Student Union in Dec '91)

I'm a '90 grad.  Any mention of that era has to include Jiggles Fest.

The best show I saw was the summer between my junior and senior years.  I friend took me to some east side club to see the Violent Femmes play under a different name just before releasing their third album.  Now *that* was a show.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 09:19:56 AM »
Mr Jiggles Fest were some of the best concerts I don't remember!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 09:25:12 AM »
My favorite Jiggles Fest moment was when it was moved to the Eagles Club because of rain, but everyone went down to the Lake anyway.  We drained a couple half barrels that afternoon...and then went to the Eagles Club that night.  I think that was Spring of 90.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 09:29:11 AM »
What is this Jiggles Fest?

I think (or hope) a few people need to spend some time updating the wiki. 
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
My favorite Jiggles Fest
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 09:30:22 AM »
87-88 at the domes. Great walk (stagger) back from the domes to West Hall.

Question though, they played music at Jiggles Fest?

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 09:30:44 AM »
That sounds about right.

I know for fact in '88 it was at the Domes, '89 can't remember, '90 can't remember and '91 in some park down by the Lake.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 09:33:06 AM »
What is this Jiggles Fest?

I think (or hope) a few people need to spend some time updating the wiki. 

It was Lallapolooza before Lallalpolooza, full day of concerts - started at noon I think, and ran until.......?  Was free for Marquette students.  Transportation was provided.  Was definitely byok (bring your own keg).

mugrad99

• Team Captain
google is my hero
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 09:38:52 AM »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:44:50 AM by indeelaw90 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 10:26:20 AM »
That's right...it was at the old gun club grounds.  There were broken clay pigeons all over the place!

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 08:24:17 PM »
Pearl Jam did in fact play a show at ASMU prior to becoming well known.  I was in school at the time ('89-'93) but can't remember the year.  Of course, me being the dumbass that I am did not attend for some reason or another, although a bunch of my friends did. 

I was a Building Manager at the AMU (along with Chicos) the first 2 years it was open.  I remember working a weekend night when there was a concert that we were totally unprepared for.  There were hundreds of non-MU people there and it was chaos.  People smoking in the lounge areas and dropping their lit butts on the carpeting and, oh yeah, we were so distracted trying to keep the building from burning down and trashed that we left a meeting room on the 3rd floor unlocked after a some group's meeting and a VCR was stolen.  I later heard someone say they heard someone was trying to sell it on Wells St. later that night.

I don't know how they kept be from quitting after that night.

As the years past, I kept trying to remember who the band was.  My wife thinks it was Pearl Jam, but I guess I couldn't believe a band that ended up so big could have been at the AMU.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 08:47:20 PM »
Hands down the best MU band ever is West of Everywhere.  Circa 1991-95.

The front man Tom Gillard was an amazingly talented vocalist.  Wondered whatever happened to him?  I've always thought that if American Idol started ten years earlier that that Gillard guy would be a super star.  Can't believe how talented he was (hopefully still is).

Might needs to go fire up some "Four Eyed" right now. 

Close 2nd might be Secret Goldfish.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 09:06:15 PM »
Rooftop Prophets, ~'96-'00

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 09:16:38 PM »
Well SOB... I just found this via Google

Pearl Jam Set List
Marquette University Alumni Hall
Mar 27, 1992
Set 1
•Oceans
•Even Flow
•Why Go
•Jeremy
•Deep
•Alive
•Black
•State Of Love And Trust
•Once
•Rockin\' In The Free World
•Porch/Leash(Outshined)(Dirty Frank)
•I've Got a Feeling

If I only knew then what I know now... who am I kidding, my night still would have sucked.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 09:23:11 PM »

Pearl Jam Set List
Mar 27, 1992
Set 1
•Oceans
•Even Flow
•Why Go
•Jeremy
•Deep
•Alive
•Black
•State Of Love And Trust
•Once
•I've Got a Feeling

If I only knew then what I know now... who am I kidding, my night still would have sucked.

That might go down as the best student government sponsored concert of all time, at any college.

And that's high praise coming from me, a guy who helped convince Southbound to play in a friend's house after their AMU West Mall outdoor concert was rained out.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 09:29:05 PM »
I was a Building Manager at the AMU (along with Chicos) the first 2 years it was open.  I remember working a weekend night when there was a concert that we were totally unprepared for.  There were hundreds of non-MU people there and it was chaos.  People smoking in the lounge areas and dropping their lit butts on the carpeting and, oh yeah, we were so distracted trying to keep the building from burning down and trashed that we left a meeting room on the 3rd floor unlocked after a some group's meeting and a VCR was stolen.  I later heard someone say they heard someone was trying to sell it on Wells St. later that night.

I don't know how they kept be from quitting after that night.

As the years past, I kept trying to remember who the band was.  My wife thinks it was Pearl Jam, but I guess I couldn't believe a band that ended up so big could have been at the AMU.

OK, well you solved that mystery, but I know "The Mission UK" played at AMU too...and *that* brought a strange bunch of characters to campus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mission_%28band%29

augoman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 12:47:30 AM »
you're all prob too young, but late 60's, the best was the messengers.  all 5 from MU, and before they signed with motown, they were on or around campus every weekend.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 09:21:13 AM »

That night was insane--if I'm not mistaken it was the inspiration for a McCurdy song called "Those God Damn College Kids". McCurdy once told me his sound guy was up all night after that gig cleaning his equipment b/c it was drenched in beer. I also recall someone trying to do a naked beer slide down the aisle of the bus on the way home. Don't think that floor made for a good sliding surface. Thanks for bringing back a memory I hadn't thought of in ages.

Speaking of bands, I thought Big Sky was great during my MU years. The trombone player/female vocalist was very easy on the eyes.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 09:26:34 AM »

Pearl Jam Set List
Mar 27, 1992
Set 1
•Oceans
•Even Flow
•Why Go
•Jeremy
•Deep
•Alive
•Black
•State Of Love And Trust
•Once
•I've Got a Feeling

I think PJ technically played the Varsity Theater, not the AMU.

I remember you could buy a bootleg video from some of the local record stores back in the late 90's. It was clearly the varsity theater.

MU_all_over

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 09:48:35 AM »
Yes, Pearl Jam played at the Varsity and not the AMU. You can still buy the video off of ebay and other places on the internet. I remember my freshman year English instructor telling us about running into Eddie Vedder at the 'Lanche twice. Once after the MU show and once later on. Eddie told him it was his favorite Milwaukee bar.

http://www.jam-river.com/pjtorrent/dvd_details.php?id=160&venue=Marquette%20University,%20Varsity%20Theater%20Milwaukee,%20WI,%20USA%20&d=27&m=3&a=1992

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 12:06:02 PM »
Yes, Pearl Jam played at the Varsity and not the AMU. You can still buy the video off of ebay and other places on the internet. I remember my freshman year English instructor telling us about running into Eddie Vedder at the 'Lanche twice. Once after the MU show and once later on. Eddie told him it was his favorite Milwaukee bar.

http://www.jam-river.com/pjtorrent/dvd_details.php?id=160&venue=Marquette%20University,%20Varsity%20Theater%20Milwaukee,%20WI,%20USA%20&d=27&m=3&a=1992

Damn, my story just got less exciting.  I still can't remember who the band was that played at the AMU that night.  I am pretty sure the name did have two words in it though.  It was a punk rock looking crowd if I remember right.

feedback