collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Bands  (Read 27000 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: MU Bands
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 12:17:46 PM »
Lawrence Welk?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 01:12:17 PM »
I think Southbound is the only band I remember, well, sort of remember. Last time I saw them play was at the Glock. They played in the middle basement area between the front and back bars. Good times.

I also may or may not have seen Shaggy at the VT freshman or sophmore year.

Wasn't there a rumor that the video for Even Flow was filmed at the Varsity.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »
Damn, my story just got less exciting.  I still can't remember who the band was that played at the AMU that night.  I am pretty sure the name did have two words in it though.  It was a punk rock looking crowd if I remember right.

I'm pretty sure it was Mission UK.  The timeframe is right.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 01:28:05 PM »
Damn, my story just got less exciting.  I still can't remember who the band was that played at the AMU that night.  I am pretty sure the name did have two words in it though.  It was a punk rock looking crowd if I remember right.

Stone Roses?  Didn't they play MU back in the day?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 01:54:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure it was Mission UK.  The timeframe is right.

Actually, the timeframe isn't right.  They played at MU on 5/1/1990.  That was before AMU even opened.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 02:33:21 PM »
I remember a few good shows during my 98-02 run; Travis, Howie Day, Sum 41, Rahzel from The Roots, Pat McGee Band, and Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

Pat McGee was a very cool gu.  The band went out to Hegs after the show, threw the VISA down and bought the bar for like 3 hours.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 02:50:48 PM »
Scatterway was an MU band from about 99-02. Played the Annex a lot. I was their manager/show booker/tech/etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 03:33:52 PM »
I worked at the Union and Varsity Theatre while in school (along with MUENG92) so I got to see a few good bands.

I remember when 10,000 Maniacs came to play and Tracy Chapman opened up.   No one knew who Chapman was.  Total ticket price for both bands = $2.  I kid you not.  I still have a copy of the ticket in one of my scrapbooks.

Other bands I was able to work with or see (not on duty) at the Varsity included:

Pearl Jam
The Call
Peter Murphy
9 Inch Nails
The Connells
Trip Shakespeare
The Replacements

A bunch of others I can't remember.

Some may not know but Simon and Garfunkle played at MU in the early 1970's I believe.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 03:35:05 PM »
The only MU band I remember from my time (98-02) was Little Blue Crunch Things, and in an effort to follow my mom's advice... I have nothing to say.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU_all_over

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 04:06:04 PM »
Do they still have SPAM Jam in front of the union? Some good local indie bands (Promise Ring, Pele) played there in the late 90s. My old roomate's bands played a couple years.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 04:38:21 PM »
I was a senior and had a poli-sci quiz with Dr. Wolfe on Friday, so I didn't spend my $2 to see the Tracy Chapman/10000 Maniacs show.   Dumb.   Second biggest regret behind not going with my roommates to go see the Grateful Dead in August of 87 right before the start of classes.     I saw the BoDeans in the student union in the fall of 84, right before they signed.    Great show.   MU bands I actually saw were Surrender Dorothy and Private Joy (?).   Lurch, did you come to the concert/party in my backyard during the fall of 87?   5 houses in a row in the 2100 block of Michigan, knocked down some fences, bought some kegs, had a concert/party/stupid good time.   I think the spring concert in 87 was Tommy Shaw of Styx fame.   Could not have possibly cared less.   Good show in the student union in the fall of 86 (IIRC) by a band called Bon Ton Society, but I think they were from Chicago.   Jigglesfest 88, at the domes, was one of the great times ever.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:40:18 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 06:56:28 PM »
Saw the Ramsey Lewis Trio at the Union. Certainly don't remember Simon and Garfunkel on campus, but I could be wrong.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 06:59:41 PM »
I was a senior and had a poli-sci quiz with Dr. Wolfe on Friday, so I didn't spend my $2 to see the Tracy Chapman/10000 Maniacs show.  

Ooo...the dreaded Friday quizes in Dr. Wolfe's class.  Awesome classes, but tough.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 07:06:01 PM »
I was a senior and had a poli-sci quiz with Dr. Wolfe on Friday, so I didn't spend my $2 to see the Tracy Chapman/10000 Maniacs show.   Dumb.   Second biggest regret behind not going with my roommates to go see the Grateful Dead in August of 87 right before the start of classes.     I saw the BoDeans in the student union in the fall of 84, right before they signed.    Great show.   MU bands I actually saw were Surrender Dorothy and Private Joy (?).   Lurch, did you come to the concert/party in my backyard during the fall of 87?   5 houses in a row in the 2100 block of Michigan, knocked down some fences, bought some kegs, had a concert/party/stupid good time.   I think the spring concert in 87 was Tommy Shaw of Styx fame.   Could not have possibly cared less.   Good show in the student union in the fall of 86 (IIRC) by a band called Bon Ton Society, but I think they were from Chicago.   Jigglesfest 88, at the domes, was one of the great times ever.

No way....I lived in on of those houses my Senior year in 1991.  The middle house if I remember...upstairs. Made for easy Taco Bell runs late at night.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 07:11:26 PM »
Saw the Ramsey Lewis Trio at the Union. Certainly don't remember Simon and Garfunkel on campus, but I could be wrong.

It was in one of the Marquette Magazine editions from a few years ago.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 09:33:52 PM »
The one I lived in had a front porch on the second floor from which we would attempt to....errrr... "reach" the sidewalk with our used and processed MGD.  And I think there had been a B and E on the first floor during the summer before we moved in.   I can't remember if it was the second or the third from the west end of the 5 in a row.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lindab

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 11:46:26 PM »
We resurrected Jigglesfest on September 20, 2008 at Bradford Beach.  Many bands that played at Jigglesfests in the 80's and 90's got together to play.  The line up included two different incarnations of Surrender Dorothy, R. Mutt, Freezone, Southbound, Groovy Sparrow and 2 current MU bands, The Nodes and Planet Dastardly.  We're on again this year for Saturday, September 19th from Noon - 7:00 at Bradford Beach.  Please help us spread the word!  And if you know any ex-Jiggles musicians or current MU student bands, please have them contact me at dorothy@surrenderdorothyband.com or at Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jigglesfest/7095249596# or MySpace http://www.myspace.com/jigglesfest.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2009, 09:54:54 AM »

Other bands I was able to work with or see (not on duty) at the Varsity included:

The Replacements

I am 95% sure The Replacements never played the Varsity (or the Union for that matter). They came to the Eagle's Club/Rave/whatever a couple times during that era, as well as at UWM, and Summerfest in 1991 which was their third to last show ever.

Also saw Soul Asylum at the Union...must have been about 1990.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 10:47:22 AM »
I agree with Navin...no Replacements on campus.  I did see the Romantics at the Varsity in around 1983, right before their "In Heat" album came out.  (Great show)  And the Call. 

Didn't the Lemonheads play a show in the union in the early '90's?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 01:01:17 PM »
Feb 1995 @ the Varsity:

Common Sense
Beatnuts
Boogie Monsters

also making an appearance:
Prince Poetry (Organized Konfusion)
O Type Star
DJ Rock Dee (RIP)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2009, 07:18:59 PM »
I am 95% sure The Replacements never played the Varsity (or the Union for that matter). They came to the Eagle's Club/Rave/whatever a couple times during that era, as well as at UWM, and Summerfest in 1991 which was their third to last show ever.

Hmm...it could have been at the Eagles Club...I lived right next to there one year as well...next to the monastery.  I might be mixing that one up.  Soul Asylum, forgot about that one.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:04:05 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009, 10:01:23 PM »
4never was a regular performer on the skin flute in the shower in Schroeder Hall.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2009, 10:08:50 PM »

Soul Asylum...the more I think about it, the more I think that was the band that led to my chaotic night at the AMU.  So Navin, have you have tried to sell a VCR on Wells St?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2009, 10:11:50 PM »
Simon & Garfunkel appeared at the old gym in the mid sixties

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2009, 12:04:28 AM »
Simon & Garfunkel appeared at the old gym in the mid sixties