[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

Shaka interview by Zog from Margo
[Today at 02:08:01 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre talking to Vikings...here we go again  (Read 70115 times)

LON

• All American
Re: Favre talking to Vikings...here we go again
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2009, 10:30:28 AM »
I think Randy Moss wiping his arse-end on the goal post went a loooong way toward intensifying the bad blood GB fans have toward the Vikes. 

As a diehard Packer fan that upset me, but I thought it was absolutely hilarious.  That and Buck's reaction.  TV gold.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2009, 10:40:46 AM »
I think Randy Moss wiping his arse-end on the goal post went a loooong way toward intensifying the bad blood GB fans have toward the Vikes. 

I can see that, but I also chalk that up to good rivalry stuff.

If a Packer player did that at the Dome, Pack fans would have gone crazy and thought it was funny.

It didn't make me "proud" to see that, but I did think it was funny.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2009, 10:46:08 AM »
I think this is all pretty funny.

As a middle school kid I knew that people fought (I had been in a few myself by that point)

I knew every dirty word in the book (save maybe a few gems I heard about later... in high school)

Why is everyone obsessed with babying their children nowadays? 

Simply explain to them or to someone around you, when you see the objectionable behavior, that those people are jackasses who act like children... and that (your son or daughter) acts like more of a grown up than they do. 

Most kids can put it together what is acceptable and not acceptable behavior with just a tiny bit of direction.

unfortunately there are probably quite a few parents out there who stand up and chant, "fight, fight!!!"... and those people are no better than the people fighting.

all of this said, I will never take my future children to an Eagles game... they throw batteries at Santa, FFS.

I think you're not understanding the point, at least from my perspective.

I wouldn't take my kid to a game because...

-The idiot throwing snowballs/ice at the idiot opposing team fan sitting two rows in front of me. The snow/ice may be directed at the other fan, but ends up hitting me/others around me

-The drunk idiot throwing punches at the guy two rows above me, them losing their balance and tumbling down a row onto bystanders

-Jerk who throws three/fourths of his beer in the air after a touchdown

This has nothing to do with "babying" kids. It has everything to do with physical safety. If my wife wasn't a tough gal, I would be worried to take her to games.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:48:26 AM by MUDish »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2009, 10:50:08 AM »
I understand, but I have never seen conduct like that at a Packer game at Lambeau...

and if I did, I'd be the first to grab the ushers and have them remove the offender.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2009, 10:57:38 AM »

you mean when he pretended to moon the crowd?  I remember some pro-packer poster came on here screaming about how he had to 'explain to his 6 year old what it was to moon someone.'  Talk about pathetic babying of kids.  And if packer fans didn't like it then don't do it to the visiting team's bus.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2009, 11:00:27 AM »
If a Packer player did that at the Dome, Pack fans would have gone crazy and thought it was funny.

No, I would have questioned why we have an immature idiot on our team. 

“When you get in the endzone, act like you've been there before.” - Bear Bryant

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »
No, I would have questioned why we have an immature idiot on our team. 

“When you get in the endzone, act like you've been there before.” - Bear Bryant

Fair.

What about Brett picking up a receiver and carrying him down field. Is that acting like he has been there before?

I know the response will probably be something about how Randy is classless or something, but if we are going by the "act like you have been there before" bit, then plenty of Packers violate that "rule" all of the time.

I'm not a Randy Moss defender by any means... I'm just saying that a lot of Packer fans must not have been that offended because 3 years later they were crying for their team to trade for him.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2009, 11:20:26 AM »
Where is Jay Bee in this discussion?? Surely he could provide insight to both the Favre saga, and d-bag 'Queen fans.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »
I know the response will probably be something about how Randy is classless or something, but if we are going by the "act like you have been there before" bit, then plenty of Packers violate that "rule" all of the time.

Nope, you're spot on with that one.  My sports fandom, for some reason, chalks up Favre's actions as a childish exuberance for the game and Moss' actions as being classless blah blah. 

I'm not going to lie.  My fandom definitely clouds my ability to judge these two situations fairly and accurately :)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2009, 11:25:18 AM »
you mean when he pretended to moon the crowd?  I remember some pro-packer poster came on here screaming about how he had to 'explain to his 6 year old what it was to moon someone.'  Talk about pathetic babying of kids.  And if packer fans didn't like it then don't do it to the visiting team's bus.

I didn't say I was particularly offended by it, simply that it fueled the hatred.

Nice mix of Moss here--hell of an athlete.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnC9_uNLy0A
Ludum habemus.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2009, 12:38:22 PM »
Actually, I think this is a "perfect storm"  to overuse a cliche. 

First, Favre retires yet again, has no interest in playing, but is still miffed at Thompson and GB

Then, an opportunity to rub GB's nose in becomes obvious to the Vikings and they find a willing participant in Favre who they approach.

Favre still has NO intentions of coming back but cannot resist busting Thompson's cubes, so he plays along.

The end game?  Favre starts thinking he can still play and this gets really interesting.  Now the Vikes have no where to go but to pursue it or look even stupider than they already are.

Prediction - Favre will not come back.

Hope- that he does and we kick their ass.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »
Nope, you're spot on with that one.  My sports fandom, for some reason, chalks up Favre's actions as a childish exuberance for the game and Moss' actions as being classless blah blah. 

I'm not going to lie.  My fandom definitely clouds my ability to judge these two situations fairly and accurately :)

That's fair if you can admit it... and again, that's what creates the rivalry. The team becomes part of the culture, the games become part of a family's rituals and people's ability to objectively look at their team (and it's rivals) becomes clouded. 

I think all MN fans know how good Favre has always been... but every time he ran up and down the field after a TD made them hate him. Was he good? Yes. Did they hate him? Yes. 

Same for Moss. GB fans HATED him. But, when he became available, a lot of GB fans were clamoring for a Favre2Moss connection. Was anybody complaining about his mooning the crowd then? Nope. They were dreaming about long bombs down the sideline and the superbowl. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to be able to admit it, ya know?

(This is like when MU played at UW 2 years ago and Jerel "shushed" the crowd after a big shot. I thought it was AWESOME. However, if a UW player did that in the BC, I'd be pissed.)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2009, 04:05:07 PM »
Brett Favre is staying retired

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Green Bay - Provided the Yahoo! Sports report is correct that Brett Favre has told the Minnesota Vikings in the past 24 hours that he is not coming back -- and there has been no confirmation anywhere else at this time -- it is doubtful we have heard the last about this topic.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »

Green Bay - Provided the Yahoo! Sports report is correct that Brett Favre has told the Minnesota Vikings in the past 24 hours that he is not coming back -- and there has been no confirmation anywhere else at this time -- it is doubtful we have heard the last about this topic.

If Favre admitted today that he was coming back, we wouldn't have 8-10 weeks of nightly speculation and reports.  It wouldn't be his style to make up his mind at this early stage.  He'll keep dropping hints for the next few months to draw this out as long as humanly possible to maximize the attention he gets.

Even though I'm not a Packers fan, I used to really like Favre.  But I can't stand him any more and am really, really tired of his annual, "it's time to kiss my ass and spend months talking about me while I decide if I want to play (even though I already made my decision and am just milking this for all it's worth)" routine.  At this point I really hope he does come back and have a really crappy season (2005 and 2006 anyone?).  I can't think of many players I'd rather see fail miserably than Favre.  And it honestly makes me sad that it's come to that.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2009, 04:21:11 PM »

Well, less drama, but not nearly as fun. Even if he wasn't the savior some Vikes fans thought, it would have made for a great storyline.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2009, 09:10:11 PM »
The Vikings have sellout streak of 115 games, going back to 1997. 

Fifteen years ago when I was new to Milwaukee, I found it odd that the lead story on the 6 o'clock news on a random day in the spring would be an 8-minute piece on an offensive lineman's offseason, including what he's planning to plant in his garden and what fertilizer he's using for his yard.  But, I got used to it.

I did not like the idea of Darren Sharper joining our team, but quickly realized that he was a dope player and a good guy, just with the misfortune of playing for the green and maize, or whatever color those guys wear.  Favre is another story... ideally, he would sign with the Vikings, come out in purple for one half and throw 5 TDs against the Packers... then we bench him while Sage takes us to the Super Bowl. 

Whatever the case, the Vikings are the division champions.  The only good things that have come out of the Packers organization are the Gilbertburger and some entertaining pickup lines I learned from Mark Chmura.  But, hey... good luck guys.  Butte-boy Erin Rodgers looks promising.  If by promising you mean averages a turnover per game and over $10 million a year.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »

Fifteen years ago when I was new to Milwaukee, I found it odd that the lead story on the 6 o'clock news on a random day in the spring would be an 8-minute piece on an offensive lineman's offseason, including what he's planning to plant in his garden and what fertilizer he's using for his yard.  But, I got used to it.

I did not like the idea of Darren Sharper joining our team, but quickly realized that he was a dope player and a good guy, just with the misfortune of playing for the green and maize, or whatever color those guys wear.  Favre is another story... ideally, he would sign with the Vikings, come out in purple for one half and throw 5 TDs against the Packers... then we bench him while Sage takes us to the Super Bowl. 

Whatever the case, the Vikings are the division champions.  The only good things that have come out of the Packers organization are the Gilbertburger and some entertaining pickup lines I learned from Mark Chmura.  But, hey... good luck guys.  Butte-boy Erin Rodgers looks promising.  If by promising you mean averages a turnover per game and over $10 million a year.

Give me one legitimate reason why you would want Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels leading your team instead of Aaron Rodgers.  I'd like a good laugh.

And for claiming to know your own team, do a little research on this "sell out" streak, you might be surprised at the corporate assistance that was necessary to make it happen. 

EDIT: Heck, since it's summer vacation, let me do it for you.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2008/09/08/story9.html

The Vikings have sold out 116 consecutive home games, including this year’s two preseason games, but the team’s sponsors had to step in to buy the remaining tickets for several games last year to reach sellouts and avert television blackouts. By NFL rule, games that are not sold out 72 hours prior to kickoff cannot be shown on local television.

Oh, and another interesting tidbit.

Fewer than 1,000 tickets remain for the Vikings’ home opener against the Indianapolis Colts on Sept. 14, and team officials expect a sellout. Sales for the Green Bay Packers game on Nov. 9 — which require fans to also buy seats to the Carolina Panthers game on Sept. 21 — have been strong, but tickets are still available for that, too.

So... is that really the only way they can keep the Hump Dome from turning into a sea of green and gold...?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 09:31:49 PM by PXILibero2 »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2009, 08:49:08 AM »
They also had to get two extensions beyond the 72 hour rule just to sell out a home playoff game.  A loss if I recall correctly.

Vikings Still Facing Blackout; Jared Allen Resorts to Begging
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/02/vikings-still-facing-blackout-jared-allen-resorts-to-begging/

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2009, 09:21:07 AM »

This is a great example of a fan who really isn't being objective about his own favorite team or their rivals.

However, to be fair to Vikes fans (and Jay Bee), there are at least as many GB fans out there who aren't objective either.

So, while there might be some people thinking "See, Jay Bee is an example of why I hate Vikings fans, they don't even know what they are talking about", I bet I can walk into a corner bar in WI on any Sunday and find a GB fan who will spew a bunch of garbage about MN.

It cuts both ways. I promise. This is the reality.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2009, 09:26:28 AM »
It cuts both ways. I promise. This is the reality.

Yes, and hopefully instead of fixating on the one prick you can appreciate the company of the group of good-natured guys that will chide you the whole game, but will end up including you in their rounds of shots/drinks  while their at it.

Sports aren't as good without the rivalries.  As much as I would have hated to see Favre in a Vikings uni next year, it would have gotten me to have a fully vested interest in more of the games :)

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2009, 10:03:51 AM »
Yes, and hopefully instead of fixating on the one prick you can appreciate the company of the group of good-natured guys that will chide you the whole game, but will end up including you in their rounds of shots/drinks  while their at it.

Sports aren't as good without the rivalries.  As much as I would have hated to see Favre in a Vikings uni next year, it would have gotten me to have a fully vested interest in more of the games :)

I would love to think the same way, but it continually baffles me that I can find groups of good-natured guys for just about any opponent that comes into Lambeau Field to share brats/brews with EXCEPT for Vikings fans.  It's like entire wave of cloned blowhards at the stadium. One of the more remarkable things I've ever seen.

By no means are Packer fans perfect.  There's certainly a blowhard contingent for Packer fans, and a rather large one, considering the size of the fan base. Proportionally, I wouldn't say it's any more than most teams, but most of my experiences AT the stadium have involved fans from our side being cordial and respectful to fans of the opposition.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 11:04:52 AM by PXILibero2 »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2009, 10:07:55 AM »
Obviously, viking fans are fighting an inferiority complex being a younger franchise, yet to win a Super Bowl, in close proximity to the hallowed tundra, the home of legends.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2009, 11:48:15 AM »
Obviously, viking fans are fighting an inferiority complex being a younger franchise, yet to win a Super Bowl, in close proximity to the hallowed tundra, the home of legends.

Just to be clear, it's thoughts like this that really fuel the rivalry fire.

The Pack is certainly a historic organization, there is no doubt. It's probably the most unique in all of pro sports (small town, publicly owned, die hard fans, etc.)

But the whole "They are just jealous because we are the Packers and this is the "Hallowed Lambeau field"" gets old.

The Pack was AWFUL in the 70's and 80's, and nobody was talking about "the hallowed grounds" as the Pack was playing 1/2 of their home games away from Lambeau.

The 90's were great, and the organization is one of the better ones is all of sports (certainly more stability than the Vikes). I get that. But, there is a pretty large chunk of time when the Pack sucked and sucked bad, so let's not go overboard.

From 1968–1992, they only went to the playoffs 2 times, and recorded only 6 winning seasons. Nobody was marketing it as "the place of legends" back then, were they?

It's certainly a rivalry with the Vikes (and Bears), but let's not start the "they are just jealous" stuff. If the Vikes win 6 straight superbowls, their fans still wouldn't like the Packers, and it has nothing to do with jealousy. It's just the way it is.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2009, 12:15:23 PM »
Just to be clear, it's thoughts like this that really fuel the rivalry fire.

The Pack is certainly a historic organization, there is no doubt. It's probably the most unique in all of pro sports (small town, publicly owned, die hard fans, etc.)

But the whole "They are just jealous because we are the Packers and this is the "Hallowed Lambeau field"" gets old.

The Pack was AWFUL in the 70's and 80's, and nobody was talking about "the hallowed grounds" as the Pack was playing 1/2 of their home games away from Lambeau.

The 90's were great, and the organization is one of the better ones is all of sports (certainly more stability than the Vikes). I get that. But, there is a pretty large chunk of time when the Pack sucked and sucked bad, so let's not go overboard.

From 1968–1992, they only went to the playoffs 2 times, and recorded only 6 winning seasons. Nobody was marketing it as "the place of legends" back then, were they?

It's certainly a rivalry with the Vikes (and Bears), but let's not start the "they are just jealous" stuff. If the Vikes win 6 straight superbowls, their fans still wouldn't like the Packers, and it has nothing to do with jealousy. It's just the way it is.

Wow, 2002, your sarcasm radar must be malfunctioning.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2009, 01:22:03 PM »
Wow, 2002, your sarcasm radar must be malfunctioning.

ah ha.... you got me. Sorry about that.

Well, anyways, I'm probably a little oversensitive on that particular argument because I've heard it over and over again.