[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre talking to Vikings...here we go again  (Read 69751 times)

LON

• All American
Re: Favre talking to Vikings...here we go again
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 09:23:37 AM »

Don't forget that douche down the street also has that shiny red sports car your would give your left nut to drive. (Peterson)

May be an awesome car, but it's no fun when you only drive it 3 months out of the year...

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 09:26:46 AM »
To: the Vikings and Favre:  Be careful what you wish for.

Signed-Yankee Stadium

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 09:29:32 AM »
To: the Vikings and Favre:  Be careful what you wish for.

Signed-Yankee Stadium

I never knew Jim Rome posted on MUSCOOP.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »
I would like to use a creative metaphor to describe the situation from a Packer perspective...

So two people are married for a long time, and like any solid marriage, lots of ups, and a few downs.  Well finally after threatening a divorce like 4 times (that both parties know is coming), the husband (Packers and Ted Thompson), send the bitch (Favre) packing.

The husband gets a new girlfriend with a lot of potential, and really doesn't pay attention all that much that his wife has moved on too, but keeping a watchful and interested eye.  As time goes on, the husband has completely forgotten about his wife, because of his new new dime piece (Aaron Rodgers). 

Now the ex-wife, like the tramp she is, is interested in the a-hole (Vikes) down the street.  This douche is like an annoying knat in your life, and has a bunch of retarded kids (Harvin, Mckinnie, Sharper...), but realy he sucks at life and always chokes at whatever he does.

As the husband, everyone (ESPN and dumb Bear fans), thinks you are all pissed that your ex-wife is getting with this neighbor.  Really, nothing could be further from the truth, and when this fling is over with you will always have great memories of your ex, and wish her the best.

And when the wedding of one of your children occurs, you'll happily dance with the ex-wife knowing the worst is behind you.  (This is analogous to the retirement ceremony five years from now when all of this will be forgotten by most Packer fans.)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 09:33:42 AM »
Laughing my ass off at this entire thing, I have to tell you.  I had to go through this with Aikman.  I was not happy about him talking to other teams but then when he decided to hang it up and go out reasonably together, it helped.  Of course we've sucked butt since then and Romo is just Favre jr as far as I'm concerned (makes great plays and really bonehead ones).

For the record, I like Brett a lot but knowing the Green Bay fans fragile psyche at play, I have to laugh my butt off at this. 

Last year, Packer fans would have been in an uproar about this.  Now, most Packer fans really don't care.  It's too bad that my favorite football player of all time has become another one of those athletes who can't let it go and turns out to be a bigger ass than everyone thought he was, but ah well...life goes on.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 09:53:25 AM »
I would like to use a creative metaphor to describe the situation from a Packer perspective...

So two people are married for a long time, and like any solid marriage, lots of ups, and a few downs.  Well finally after threatening a divorce like 4 times (that both parties know is coming), the husband (Packers and Ted Thompson), send the bitch (Favre) packing.

The husband gets a new girlfriend with a lot of potential, and really doesn't pay attention all that much that his wife has moved on too, but keeping a watchful and interested eye.  As time goes on, the husband has completely forgotten about his wife, because of his new new dime piece (Aaron Rodgers). 

Now the ex-wife, like the tramp she is, is interested in the a-hole (Vikes) down the street.  This douche is like an annoying knat in your life, and has a bunch of retarded kids (Harvin, Mckinnie, Sharper...), but realy he sucks at life and always chokes at whatever he does.

As the husband, everyone (ESPN and dumb Bear fans), thinks you are all pissed that your ex-wife is getting with this neighbor.  Really, nothing could be further from the truth, and when this fling is over with you will always have great memories of your ex, and wish her the best.

Your analogy probably isn't too far off... but the items highlighted in BLUE and RED don't really match.

The things written in BLUE seem pretty bitter, while the things in RED claim that Packer fans aren't pissed.

To be honest, I can understand why fans are disappointed and kinda pissed, but really the guy just wants to play football. Screw the "legacy" BS... the guy still likes to play. It's not like he can retire and just go play in a rec league to get his football fix.

I agree that the back and forth retire/unretire stuff is annoying, but the "ruined the legacy" (not directing this comment to anybody here)thing is BS. He's just plain ole Brett, the redneck quarterback. He's not "St. Brett, the chosen one". Nobody should be surprised that he'll do anything to play. It's part of his DNA. The same ultra competitive DNA that made him super-human in cold weather games for all of those years
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:56:14 AM by 2002mualum »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 10:01:49 AM »
To be honest, I can understand why fans are disappointed and kinda pissed, but really the guy just wants to play football. Screw the "legacy" BS... the guy still likes to play. It's not like he can retire and just go play in a rec league to get his football fix.

I agree that the back and forth retire/unretire stuff is annoying, but the "ruined the legacy" thing is BS. He's just plain ole Brett, the redneck quarterback. He's not "St. Brett, the chosen one".

Boy are you wrong, and I assure you, this is not bitterness, at least not from me. The guy has proven himself to be a "bitch" as was stated in the analogy. He doesn't just want to play football. He wants to play football just because he had his feelings hurt.

Since his retirement from the Jets, Favre admitted in interviews that at least part of his motivation to return was out of vengeance against Thompson, whom Favre thought was the sole person standing in the way of him returning to the Packers.

"Part of me coming back last year, I have to admit now, was sticking it to Ted," Favre told SI.com in February.

A Jets executive said at the Senior Bowl in January that Favre's feelings toward Thompson were well known around the organization.

"Boy, does Favre have it bad out bad for Thompson," the source said then. "He talked about the Packers all the time. He's obsessed with them. I don't know if he's ever going to let it go."

Said a Jets teammate: "It's not over between him and the Packers. I know a lot of it started from the people around him. But he's bought into it."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/44423352.html

His motivation is clearly not just to play football. His words, not mine.

I wish him and the Vikings lots of luck if they go through with this thing. As I said, I am assuming the Vikings will be smart enough not to get caught up in this nonsense, as it will not  end well for them.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 10:10:31 AM »
Boy are you wrong, and I assure you, this is not bitterness, at least not from me. The guy has proven himself to be a "bitch" as was stated in the analogy. He doesn't just want to play football. He wants to play football just because he had his feelings hurt.

Since his retirement from the Jets, Favre admitted in interviews that at least part of his motivation to return was out of vengeance against Thompson, whom Favre thought was the sole person standing in the way of him returning to the Packers.

"Part of me coming back last year, I have to admit now, was sticking it to Ted," Favre told SI.com in February.

A Jets executive said at the Senior Bowl in January that Favre's feelings toward Thompson were well known around the organization.

"Boy, does Favre have it bad out bad for Thompson," the source said then. "He talked about the Packers all the time. He's obsessed with them. I don't know if he's ever going to let it go."

Said a Jets teammate: "It's not over between him and the Packers. I know a lot of it started from the people around him. But he's bought into it."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/44423352.html

His motivation is clearly not just to play football. His words, not mine.

I wish him and the Vikings lots of luck if they go through with this thing. As I said, I am assuming the Vikings will be smart enough not to get caught up in this nonsense, as it will not  end well for them.

Fair point. His motivation/reasons aren't as pure as "he wants to play football". I stand corrected.

The guy is uber-competitive (again, part of the DNA that made him great) and can't let the Thompson thing go. It is kind of sad. He's not the first athlete to go through this, and he won't be the last.

However, saying there is no bitterness and call him a bitch in the same paragraph just doesn't seem to jive for me.

If people aren't bitter, why the name calling, "bitch", "Judas", etc?

LON

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »
Fair point. His motivation/reasons aren't as pure as "he wants to play football". I stand corrected.

The guy is uber-competitive (again, part of the DNA that made him great) and can't let the Thompson thing go. It is kind of sad. He's not the first athlete to go through this, and he won't be the last.

However, saying there is no bitterness and call him a bitch in the same paragraph just doesn't seem to jive for me.

Probably because most Packers fans actually respect rivals like the Bears (franchise and fans) and well our thoughts on the Vikes, are, well, pure disdain.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »

Well, the 'bitch' part was for the sake of the analogy, and as I said, that is kinda what he has been acting like. Not sure that qualifies as bitter. Judas, yeah that might apply. I have no doubt some are bitter, but I would suggest they are a small minority at this point. I would say pity is far more prevalent than disdain at this point.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 10:31:50 AM »

Most of the sportwriters here feel that it is going to be done later this week.  The Viqueens have two main reasons for doing this....1.  Childress only has one year left on his contract and needs to win now.  2.  Wilf wants a new $1 billion stadium and his mindset is that he has to win in order to win over the casual fans to support a new stadium. 

They are both desperate.  They don't win and Childress is gone and the Viqueens are off to L.A..

The Saints just signed a long term deal for the Superdome, meaning no winning = no stadium = LA Viqueens.

They could be the third team to leave here in the last 50 years or so.  I am glad I am not a Minnesota fan in any way, but I sure am glad I get to see their grief firsthand.

On a side note...Most of my friends here do not want Favre here.  Last year they wanted him, but not this year.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:37:00 AM by SaintPaulWarrior »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 10:34:55 AM »
I have some disdain toward the man because of his motivation to "stick it" to my team.  But I'm nowhere near as much concerned as I was last year around this time.  I'm actually hoping that he joins the Vikings because of the spectacular entertainment value.  

There is some of the ex-girlfriend factor at work here, kinda like I have with Crean and Mike Holmgren.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 10:43:17 AM »
Probably because most Packers fans actually respect rivals like the Bears (franchise and fans) and well our thoughts on the Vikes, are, well, pure disdain.

Alright, well, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'll ask the question: What makes Vikes fans so bad?

To be honest, I've been to all 3 stadiums, and I've seen intelligent football fans and drunk a-holes wearing all 3 colors (Bears/Vikes/Pack). Please don't tell me that it's because the Vikes have "more a-hole fans"... nobody really knows that.

While each city/organization is somewhat unique, the overall culture is basically just "midwest NFL fans" (include Detroit) and the differences between the 4 organizations/fans are probably more based in perception than reality.

If you run into a bunch of drunk a-hole vikes fans, then your perception is that it's a bad organization and a terrible group of people.  

Are Packer fans really "better" than Bear fans? Depends on where you're sitting I suppose.

Are Viking fans the scum of the earth? Some of them probably are.

Are Bear fans stupid fat guys? Depends on who you are talking to.

With all of this said, this is what makes for great rivalries. "Bear fans are idiots" "Vikings fans are trash" "Pack fans are inbred", etc. etc. The stereotypes and generalizations make it fun to hate another team.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:44:50 AM by 2002mualum »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 10:50:22 AM »
I have some disdain toward the man because of his motivation to "stick it" to my team.  But I'm nowhere near as much concerned as I was last year around this time.  I'm actually hoping that he joins the Vikings because of the spectacular entertainment value.  

There is some of the ex-girlfriend factor at work here, kinda like I have with Crean and Mike Holmgren.

That's a fair assessment. I expect most fans to feel the same way.

Here's an interesting way to flip it for Packer fans:

Say after the 1998 season Chris Carter said that he wants to be traded because he didn't like the way Randy Moss was hogging all of the passes.

Would some Vikes fans have hated Denny Green and Red for no catering to Chris Carter? Yes.

Would some Vikes fans have hated Chris Carter for leaving for the Packers? Yes.

Would there be a lot of bitterness? Yes.

Would the Packers be glad to take him? Hell yes.

Would a lot/all Packer fans get over their hatred of Chris Carter? Yes.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:53:05 AM by 2002mualum »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 11:22:25 AM »
Well, the 'bitch' part was for the sake of the analogy, and as I said, that is kinda what he has been acting like. Not sure that qualifies as bitter. Judas, yeah that might apply. I have no doubt some are bitter, but I would suggest they are a small minority at this point. I would say pity is far more prevalent than disdain at this point.

That is fine, i'm glad that all these people calling him: bitch, judas, and benedict favre are either a small minority or have no hard feelings.  I don't believe that but i'll concede the point. 
The reason it makes me happy is because he's no longer a hero.  His Icon status is gone.  I got an email once that had favre's "career stats" at soldier field.  I looked at them for 30 seconds, did some math, and responded to all saying that although he had played well there he didn't avg 540 yards a game with 5.2 tds.  I will never have to get a bull$h!t email like that again.  You can keep saying that people don't have hard feelings while at the same time saying that the qb who played for well over a decade is a 'tramp'.  And perhaps that will be true in time, but packer fans won't get a hard on every time they see a number 4 anymore.   

As for Favre v jackson v sage:
1) i think the cold is a big factor in him breaking down at the end of the year.
2) even if it isn't, i would rather have a guy who starts off playing well and gets worse as the season goes on than one that sucks at the start and continues to do so for 16 games.

LON

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 11:29:20 AM »
Alright, well, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'll ask the question: What makes Vikes fans so bad?

To be honest, I've been to all 3 stadiums, and I've seen intelligent football fans and drunk a-holes wearing all 3 colors (Bears/Vikes/Pack). Please don't tell me that it's because the Vikes have "more a-hole fans"... nobody really knows that.

While each city/organization is somewhat unique, the overall culture is basically just "midwest NFL fans" (include Detroit) and the differences between the 4 organizations/fans are probably more based in perception than reality.

If you run into a bunch of drunk a-hole vikes fans, then your perception is that it's a bad organization and a terrible group of people.  

Are Packer fans really "better" than Bear fans? Depends on where you're sitting I suppose.

With all of this said, this is what makes for great rivalries. "Bear fans are idiots" "Vikings fans are trash" "Pack fans are inbred", etc. etc. The stereotypes and generalizations make it fun to hate another team.

When you have trouble selling out your dump of a dome for a HOME playoff game, your franchise and fans are terrible.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2009, 11:41:14 AM »
When you have trouble selling out your dump of a dome for a HOME playoff game, your franchise and fans are terrible.

What about the Packers playing in County Stadium?

Isn't that because they were having trouble drawing enough fans up in GB? (serious question, I'm not completely up to date on my Packers history)

Also, if the Vikes did sell out last year, then they would be good fans and a good organization?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2009, 11:45:36 AM »

Isn't that because they were having trouble drawing enough fans up in GB? (serious question, I'm not completely up to date on my Packers history)

Yes...in the 1940s.  The Packers stayed in Milwaukee to "thank" the fans for supporting them and to protect Milwaukee as part of Packer country.  But after the 60s, the Packers were so entrenched in fans of Milwaukee that they could have moved to "all Green Bay" 20 years earlier and it wouldn't have made a difference.

LON

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2009, 12:14:44 PM »

Also, if the Vikes did sell out last year, then they would be good fans and a good organization?

I'm painting with a very broad brush if you haven't noticed...

I wish they would have done away with the MKE season ticket holders long ago...the atmosphere is night and day when it is a MKE game.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2009, 12:50:40 PM »
It would be pretty hard to move an NFC North team to LA without having to completely redo all of the divisions again... who would move into the NFC north instead of LA?  Saint Louis Rams?

I guess it makes the most geographical sense, but in terms of rivalries, things will get flipped.

If Minnescrotum moves to LA a little part of my football fandom will die.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »

FWIW, when I was working for the Bears, arrests/fights at Soldier Field for Bears/Vikings games were twice as many as there were for Bears/Packers game.

Right or wrong when it comes to broadly labeling fan bases, but Packer fans at Soldier Field are generally pretty respectful people, and are just there to cheer on their team, more than trying to fight/egg on Bear fans. Smack talk still happens, but nowhere near the level/anger there is with Viking fans at Soldier.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2009, 01:14:46 PM »
I'm painting with a very broad brush if you haven't noticed...

I wish they would have done away with the MKE season ticket holders long ago...the atmosphere is night and day when it is a MKE game.

So you don't like Milwaukee Packer fans either?

As far as the teams/fans, I've probably already spent too much time typing about it. It just amazes me the broad stereotypes that people apply to rival teams (and actually believe them).

Packer fans are a bunch of hicks with nothing better to do than worship at the alter of Lombardi. Everything in their life is Packer related because it's all they have. Without the Packers, they'd have nothing to live for.

Vikings fans are a bunch of drunk idiots with mullets who would rather see a GB loss than a MN win. It's a loser organization and all of the fans are losers. They are so jealous of GB.

Chicago fans are the worst. They ruined their great stadium by putting a spaceship on it, and they are still holding onto 1985 like it was yesterday. Tell them to stay over and Wrigley field if they just want to get drunk and act stupid. This is football. You need to KNOW THE GAME to watch it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2009, 01:20:17 PM »
FWIW, when I was working for the Bears, arrests/fights at Soldier Field for Bears/Vikings games were twice as many as there were for Bears/Packers game.

Right or wrong when it comes to broadly labeling fan bases, but Packer fans at Soldier Field are generally pretty respectful people, and are just there to cheer on their team, more than trying to fight/egg on Bear fans. Smack talk still happens, but nowhere near the level/anger there is with Viking fans at Soldier.

That's a fair take, and you may be right. Working security and evaluating the fanbase has certainly some merit.

It would be interesting to look at those numbers over several seasons and see the variations and well as the variables (night game/late game/early game/playoff implications/etc.)

I'd bet my car that their are more fights at a (relatively) warm weather night game vs. a really, really cold day game. In the really, really cold, people tend to be worried about staying warm (for the most part), not kicking each others ass.

Anyways, the best way to probably look at it is to admit that everybody has a bias and is likely to make broad statements about a rivals fanbase.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2009, 01:31:20 PM »
I guess having lived in both Chicago and Milwaukee in the last few years, I sense that there is much more shared respect between Packers and Bears fans than they're used to be.  Part of it was due to GB beating the Bears into submission in the 90s with Favre, part of it too I think is also because there hasn't exactly been a Jim McMahon-Charles Martin moment in a few decades to really rile up both fanbases.

I think at this point playing the Vikings is a bigger deal for both Bears and Packers fans than playing each other.  First, consider the amount of antics of the Vikings both on and off the field (see Randy Moss and the party boat).  Second, the number of former Packers and Bears players that end up in Minnesota.  Third. the overall attitude of the Vikings fanbase towards both Bears and Packers' fans. 

I don't think it would change much from the Bears fan persepctive on their feelings towards the Vikings, but for Favre to possibly go from GB to Minnesota (with a stop in NY on the way), it would be the equivilant of football armageddon.  I know Favre doesn't have a hell of a lot in the tank, but to see what it would do to the rivalry would be interesting to see.
The General has taken on a new command.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2009, 02:07:51 PM »

Vikings fans are a bunch of drunk idiots with mullets who would rather see a GB loss than a MN win. It's a loser organization and all of the fans are losers. They are so jealous of GB.

Chicago fans are the worst. They ruined their great stadium by putting a spaceship on it

The original Soldier Field was a complete dump, not a great stadium.  I have not been in the newer version so I cannot comment on that.  I did not know that the Chicago fans put the spaceship up on the previous dump.

I have lived in Chicago for over 20 years, Milwaukee for 4 years (Pack was still playing 3 games a year there if I recall correctly) and MSP now for over 10 years.  I can honestly say that Viking fans are the worst of the lot when it comes to loyalty (corporations have come in numerous times to avoid blackouts) although that dump of a dome does not help ticket sales.  They are also very poor sports when they lose.  When they show up at the Bears bar for the games, they are either in your face when they win or leaving out the back door with 7 minutes left in the game when they lose.

Packer fans on the other hand stick around and we share beers and congratulate each other and look forward to the next game no matter who wins.

I love it when Packer fans more so than Bears fans overrun the dome.