[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre talking to Vikings...here we go again  (Read 69134 times)

LON

• All American
Re: Favre talking to Vikings...here we go again
« Reply #350 on: August 24, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »
Yea, but 2 years ago when he was wearing a green jersey, no packer fan would have brought that up, which is hypocritical.

He was a saint as long as he was green, right?

I was making a joke, I don't wear blinders.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #351 on: August 24, 2009, 01:05:12 PM »
I was making a joke, I don't wear blinders.

Got it.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #352 on: August 24, 2009, 01:06:59 PM »
Yea, but 2 years ago when he was wearing a green jersey, no packer fan would have brought that up, which is hypocritical.

He was a saint as long as he was green, right?

Oh, it's entirely hypocritical.  I dare say we're not the only ones guilty, though.  I wasn't alive, but I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that not many Bears fans bashed McMahon's boyish antics back in 1985.  

Also, Favre DID clean himself up a lot post-1999, but to be fair it wouldn't have mattered either way. Packer fans wouldn't have said a word.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #353 on: August 24, 2009, 01:23:51 PM »

Oh, it's entirely hypocritical.  I dare say we're not the only ones guilty, though.  I wasn't alive, but I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that not many Bears fans bashed McMahon's boyish antics back in 1985.  

Also, Favre DID clean himself up a lot post-1999, but to be fair it wouldn't have mattered either way. Packer fans wouldn't have said a word.

For sure, my comments aren't only pointed towards Packer fans. It's sports fans in general.

But, the sainthood of Brett and the adoration and admiration of Packer fans was greater than pretty much any player in pro sports.

But, understanding that helps understand why people are so upset with him now.

What I find shocking the the blind love of the guy when he wears green and gold and the blind hatred of the guy when he wears purple.

He just a human. He's not Jesus. He's not perfect.

In some ways I feel sorry for him. He didn't give people the storybook ending they wanted, and now they hate him for it. I mean, the guy played his ass off. He doesn't owe anybody anything.

Certainly he deserves some criticism for the media crap and the drama (he's a diva), but he wants to play ball. I don't think people should act like he's killing a family member.

Brett Favre will take more abuse in WI than Mike Vick, Plaxico Burress and Ray Lewis combined.

Here's only the beginning...

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/news/local/article_c36c3d24-8f9a-11de-b781-001cc4c03286.html

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #354 on: August 24, 2009, 01:26:23 PM »
That's pretty far off the deep end.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #355 on: August 24, 2009, 01:35:07 PM »
What I find shocking the the blind love of the guy when he wears green and gold and the blind hatred of the guy when he wears purple.

Why do you find this shocking?  Isn't this one of the most basic parts of fan behavior? 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #356 on: August 24, 2009, 01:41:38 PM »
Why do you find this shocking?  Isn't this one of the most basic parts of fan behavior? 

Exactly.  Fan is a derivative of Fanatic which is defined as "a person motivated by irrational enthusiasm."

Being a fan is why I don't have to back up a statement like, "Anyone that wears purple likes balls." with facts.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #357 on: August 24, 2009, 01:44:42 PM »

Ummm...

I find painting a goat like Brett Favre and planning to "sacrifice it" shocking.

That isn't a basic part of fan behavior.

An yes, I'm picking an extreme case, but it perfectly illustrates my point. There is a section of Packer fans out there that are way off the deep end on this one, and I don't understand it.

Seriously, this could get ugly if/when Brett plays up in GB.

LON

• All American
« Reply #358 on: August 24, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »
Exactly.  Fan is a derivative of Fanatic which is defined as "a person motivated by irrational enthusiasm."

Being a fan is why I don't have to back up a statement like, "Anyone that wears purple likes balls." with facts.

Amen.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #359 on: August 24, 2009, 01:56:01 PM »

Sure, I get that name calling is cool to Packer fans.

But being a fan doesn't back-up painting a goat (see other post) or any of the other insane crap that is inevitability going to happen because of the Brett Favre thing. 

I can't threaten to kill a member of his family because I'm a "fanatic".

Where is the line for you guys? Maybe the fanatical line is just different for me.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #360 on: August 24, 2009, 02:18:28 PM »
 No, it's actually not difficult at all.  Just look at the lines you quoted.  Not a big math guy, I take it...

::) I'm a big numbers guy.  The difference between +160, +140 and +200 is the closest 3 way race out of all the divisions.  Being +140 doesn't make you a consensus favorite. Not a big gambler, I take it...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 02:19:59 PM by RawdogDX »

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #361 on: August 24, 2009, 02:24:46 PM »
::) I'm a big numbers guy.  The difference between +160, +140 and +200 is the closest 3 way race out of all the divisions.  Being +140 doesn't make you a consensus favorite. Not a big gambler, I take it...
I think THAT much is obvious...

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #362 on: August 24, 2009, 02:25:36 PM »
Sure, I get that name calling is cool to Packer all fans.

See...

Fudge Packers
Sincinnatti
Scrubs

99.99% of fans, I won't say all because you will probably say you don't call other teams names, call their arch rivals derogatory names.  Look at any intense rivalry and at the center you will find blind loyalty/hatred.  NYY/BOS, MICH/OSU, LAD/SFO, etc...

Note: I am not a Packer fan.  In fact I hate the Packers, and their fans. But it is not your normal hatred.  It is a hatred born almost out of mutual respect. If that makes any sense. But I would expect they feel the same about me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 02:30:18 PM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #363 on: August 24, 2009, 02:37:39 PM »

See...

Fudge Packers
Sincinnatti
Scrubs

99.99% of fans, I won't say all because you will probably say you don't call other teams names, call their arch rivals derogatory names.  Look at any intense rivalry and at the center you will find blind loyalty/hatred.  NYY/BOS, MICH/OSU, LAD/SFO, etc...

Yea, but aren't we always told that Packer fans are different and classier than the rest of the NFL? I mean, I agree with you about all rivalries, but Pack fans tend to promote themselves pretty hard. Shouldn't they hold themselves to higher standards?

My gut says that when Brett and his family go to GB, there will be some vandalism and/or threats made. I hope not. But, I can see it happening. People are crazy.

Unless Wilf flies the family in on a jet and gets them out of there with armed guards... but if that happens people will only use it as ammo to say that Brett and his family are conceited and think they are better than everybody else.

I think I'm answering my own questions here... Packer fans will never respect the Vikings as an organization, no matter how many titles they win, or what stadium they sell out, or who plays QB. GB fans will always look down their noses at the Vikes because GB was a dominant team from 1970-1990... errrr.... wait....

LON

• All American
« Reply #364 on: August 24, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
Yea, but aren't we always told that Packer fans are different and classier than the rest of the NFL? I mean, I agree with you about all rivalries, but Pack fans tend to promote themselves pretty hard. Shouldn't they hold themselves to higher standards?

My gut says that when Brett and his family go to GB, there will be some vandalism and/or threats made. I hope not. But, I can see it happening. People are crazy.

Unless Wilf flies the family in on a jet and gets them out of there with armed guards... but if that happens people will only use it as ammo to say that Brett and his family are conceited and think they are better than everybody else.

I think I'm answering my own questions here... Packer fans will never respect the Vikings as an organization, no matter how many titles they win, or what stadium they sell out, or who plays QB. GB fans will always look down their noses at the Vikes because GB was a dominant team from 1970-1990... errrr.... wait....

When have they ever won?

/instantrimshot.com
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:18:19 PM by LancesOtherNut »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #365 on: August 24, 2009, 03:19:23 PM »

All very true and that's why exposing the hypocrisy is equally fun.  My Dodger friends have railed on the Barry Bonds for a decade and all of a sudden Manny comes to town.....talk about hypocrisy central.  It's been fun to say the least.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #366 on: August 24, 2009, 04:03:13 PM »

seriously, does every debate have to turn into some bull crap psychological discussion  or hyperexamination of everything with you?

I find you to be the most pompous, aloof, moron on these boards.

LISA SIMPSON : THE PERSON WITH THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION THAT NO ONE ASKED.

you're welcome.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #367 on: August 24, 2009, 06:32:58 PM »

See...

Fudge Packers
Sincinnatti
Scrubs

Note: I am not a Packer fan.  In fact I hate the Packers, and their fans. But it is not your normal hatred.  It is a hatred born almost out of mutual respect. If that makes any sense. But I would expect they feel the same about me.

Bears fan? Then yes, hatred born out of mutual respect is the perfect description of how I feel.  If I were at a Bears game at Lambeau, I'd proudly chant "The Bears Still Suck" as loudly and often as I could, but I'd have no problem sharing a brat and a brew with MOST Bears fans I encounter.

On the other hand, the amount of Vikings fans that I get along with in the same manner is certainly a minority in their fan base.  The stereotype could be described as in your face, arrogant, and a deep, deep inferiority complex.  The Bears are second only to the Packers in titles, and that rivalry goes back a long, long ways with a lot of great memories and two very similarly built fan bases who weather the elements on a weekly basis at their respective venues.

@2002mualum - I guess it depends what you mean by "different and classier."  I'd argue more passionate, for sure.  Go to Green Bay on a game day if you haven't been, and you'll understand what I'm talking about.  Maybe Pittsburgh and Kansas City are in the same league.  Not many more.  Chicago doesn't LIVE football. Neither does Minneapolis, Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans or any of these other NFL cities.  They have other stuff going on to distract them.  Green Bay? What else is there to do but football?

As far as class?  Sure, there's exceptions, but I don't EVER see the constant threats to opposing fans at Lambeau like you hear about at Philly and other places, ESPECIALLY with the older generations of fans that still hold most of the season tickets.  But generally the population of Lambeau is there to cheer on the Packers, not to seek out an opposing fan and give them hell, at least not any more than playful banter.  Heck, my dad and I bring up about 12 brats to every game we go, eat 4 of them, and give the rest to people passing by for free, Packer fans or not.

At the NFC Championship game two years ago, we had a half hour conversation while enjoying a burger with a few Giants fans who had flown in that morning.  Both said they had never seen an opposing fan base be so courteous and accommodating to he and his son before the game, and he had been to Jets games at the Meadowlands, Dallas, Philly, and Washington.

I guess I have nothing else to tell you outside of personal experiences.  Sure, I wear some pretty heavily tinted green and gold glasses, but there's a reason that anytime anyone (ESPN, Sports Illustrated, etc.) decide to do an NFL stadium review, Lambeau Field remains the class of the league.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #368 on: August 24, 2009, 07:26:37 PM »
Bears fan? Then yes, hatred born out of mutual respect is the perfect description of how I feel.  If I were at a Bears game at Lambeau, I'd proudly chant "The Bears Still Suck" as loudly and often as I could, but I'd have no problem sharing a brat and a brew with MOST Bears fans I encounter.

On the other hand, the amount of Vikings fans that I get along with in the same manner is certainly a minority in their fan base.  The stereotype could be described as in your face, arrogant, and a deep, deep inferiority complex.  The Bears are second only to the Packers in titles, and that rivalry goes back a long, long ways with a lot of great memories and two very similarly built fan bases who weather the elements on a weekly basis at their respective venues.

@2002mualum - I guess it depends what you mean by "different and classier."  I'd argue more passionate, for sure.  Go to Green Bay on a game day if you haven't been, and you'll understand what I'm talking about.  Maybe Pittsburgh and Kansas City are in the same league.  Not many more.  Chicago doesn't LIVE football. Neither does Minneapolis, Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans or any of these other NFL cities.  They have other stuff going on to distract them.  Green Bay? What else is there to do but football?

As far as class?  Sure, there's exceptions, but I don't EVER see the constant threats to opposing fans at Lambeau like you hear about at Philly and other places, ESPECIALLY with the older generations of fans that still hold most of the season tickets.  But generally the population of Lambeau is there to cheer on the Packers, not to seek out an opposing fan and give them hell, at least not any more than playful banter.  Heck, my dad and I bring up about 12 brats to every game we go, eat 4 of them, and give the rest to people passing by for free, Packer fans or not.

At the NFC Championship game two years ago, we had a half hour conversation while enjoying a burger with a few Giants fans who had flown in that morning.  Both said they had never seen an opposing fan base be so courteous and accommodating to he and his son before the game, and he had been to Jets games at the Meadowlands, Dallas, Philly, and Washington.

I guess I have nothing else to tell you outside of personal experiences.  Sure, I wear some pretty heavily tinted green and gold glasses, but there's a reason that anytime anyone (ESPN, Sports Illustrated, etc.) decide to do an NFL stadium review, Lambeau Field remains the class of the league.

That's fair.

I've been to GB, I've seen the experience. It's impressive.

The only thing I can say is that GB fans tend to hold themselves in high esteem, which I can understand (old school franchise, unique stadium experience, loyal fans, etc.). For the most part, the fans are great.

However, it's this same glorious fan base that has always talked a massive amount of trash about the Vikings, yelled at obscenities at my brother in the parking lot in front of his 7 year old kid, and is going to BBQ Brett Favre when he comes to town (I'm predicting right now that the Favre thing will get ugly... like national news ugly).

Are there meatheads in every crowd? Yep. But, when I use the same excuse for the Vikings, Packer fans just laugh and tell me that the Vikings fans are trash. I think the fan bases are closer than anybody wants to admit, and that's why I get frustrated when Packer fans want to look down on the purple. Trust me, people get drunk and stupid everywhere, and that includes GB.

Oh, and for Hards Alumni, you're right. I've been over-thinking my posts lately, so here we go:

The Vikings are going to win the division because they are simply better than both the packers and the bears. It's true. Trust me.

Of course, I don't expect anybody to know that around here because they are either:

A. Stupid hillbilly fans of a franchise that uses foam cheese as a secondary logo, are proud to look like a**holes on television (wearing said cheese), and actually listen to Mark Chumura (alleged sex offender) on the radio.

or

B. Fans of a 2nd rate team in Chicago that ruined it's own stadium by landing a space shuttle in it, and worship a dumbass coach who f*cked Sweetness out of a touchdown in the superbowl.

Out.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #369 on: August 24, 2009, 08:25:08 PM »
A. Stupid hillbilly fans of a franchise that use horns and wings as a primary logo, not true...http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2189/did-vikings-really-wear-horns-on-their-helmet proud to look like a**holes on television (wearing said horns), and actually worship wife cheating Denny Green as a great coach.

B. Fans of the 2nd best team, championship wise, in the history of the NFL. That saved its own stadium by doing anything possible to keep the stadium it had and not move to the suburbs. It is 100x better than the dump you call a stadium that you can't even sell out for a playoff game.  We love...not worship a coach who won 3 Super bowl rings and knew his players did not care about individual stats as long as they won the championship.  Something you will never know in your lifetime.  

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:29:24 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #370 on: August 24, 2009, 08:37:26 PM »
B. Fans of the 2nd best team, championship wise, in the history of the NFL. That saved its own stadium by doing anything possible to keep the stadium it had and not move to the suburbs. It is 100x better than the dump you call a stadium that you can't even sell out for a playoff game.  We love...not worship a coach who won 3 Super bowl rings and knew his players did not care about individual stats as long as they won the championship.  Something you will never know in your lifetime.  

Bizarre you use 'SaintPaul' as your name.  'Keep the stadium'?  like Green Bay did... when I got to Marquette, I recall them playing in Milwaukee a few times a year.  They kept one of their stadiums.  Nice!

Packers fans are far more weird and obsessed than most fans.  It's a simple fact.  I may go to a Brewers game rocking a Purple Favre jersey just to drum up some lawsuits.  Easy money, but the stadium might flood with tears.  

Unfortunately I couldn't ever bring myself to wear a Favre jersey.  The disgusting display of green #4 jerseys every Friday during my years at Marquette... much too difficult to forget.  Yet, I will cheer for our guy, the guy that wanted to be in Minnesota always... the guy whose addition to our squad clearly makes us a better team, despite what some nimwits on here claim.  But, I'm not wearing a #4 jersey.  

As made evident by some of the people on this message board, though, any purple jersey could easily evoke great sadness/madness/more-than-usual craziness from Green Bay/Milwaukee some of the time until the mid 90s fans.  

Keep the bets coming in people... the CONSENSUS pick for the NFC North championship is going to make me more money.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #371 on: August 24, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »
 Bizarre you use 'SaintPaul' as your name.  

How is it bizarre....it is where I live.  Wow.

This is what a consensus favorite looks like......

Buffalo Bills  +800    
Miami Dolphins  +900    
New England Patriots  -600    
New York Jets  +800

Denver Broncos  +1000    
Kansas City Chiefs  +1000    
Oakland Raiders  +800    
San Diego Chargers  -800

You have no idea what consensus means.

I lose faith in the knowledge of Minnesota fans every day if not every hour. (Except for hockey of course.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:51:49 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #372 on: August 24, 2009, 09:15:43 PM »
 Bizarre you use 'SaintPaul' as your name.  'Keep the stadium'?  like Green Bay did... when I got to Marquette, I recall them playing in Milwaukee a few times a year.  They kept one of their stadiums.  Nice!

Packers fans are far more weird and obsessed than most fans.  It's a simple fact.  I may go to a Brewers game rocking a Purple Favre jersey just to drum up some lawsuits.  Easy money, but the stadium might flood with tears.  

Unfortunately I couldn't ever bring myself to wear a Favre jersey.  The disgusting display of green #4 jerseys every Friday during my years at Marquette... much too difficult to forget.  Yet, I will cheer for our guy, the guy that wanted to be in Minnesota always... the guy whose addition to our squad clearly makes us a better team, despite what some nimwits on here claim.  But, I'm not wearing a #4 jersey.  

As made evident by some of the people on this message board, though, any purple jersey could easily evoke great sadness/madness/more-than-usual craziness from Green Bay/Milwaukee some of the time until the mid 90s fans.  

Keep the bets coming in people... the CONSENSUS pick for the NFC North championship is going to make me more money.

Please, enlighten me on what it is about Favre that automatically elevates you to Super Bowl status?  It's quite simple, at this point in Favre's career.  If he puts in the work (A LOT of work) then he has a chance to fend off the downfalls of old age in the NFL.  He did in '07, and the results were obvious.  Not only did he not put in THAT level of work this off season, but he put in less work than he has any off season... ever. At age 39. Consider that. 

Face it, the guy didn't want to come to Minnesota post-07 because they were THAT good.  He had a 13-3 team, and he chose to retire.  He's in Minnesota because he calls the shots, and he pushes everyone else around.  If they're willing to let him do a Roger Clemens, then so be it.  Just let it be known that pulling a Clemens (showing up on Sundays, and playing football) has never worked in the NFL.  Furthermore, 40 year old QBs don't work in the NFL, either.  Mr. Favre is stacking the deck against himself this year.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #373 on: August 24, 2009, 09:31:49 PM »
hilarious...
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #374 on: August 24, 2009, 09:35:03 PM »
Please, enlighten me on what it is about Favre that automatically elevates you to Super Bowl status? 

Huh?  When have I ever said this?  To be clear there are a couple of things that I know to be real: (1) Adding Favre improved our chances this year - many on here disagree and I find that absolutely ridiculous.  (2) The money is on us to win the division.  

We've been worthy of a mention when it comes to this year's Super Bowl and continue to be, before and after the guy that always has wanted to be a Viking.  

@SaintPaul - most people don't choose to be called by the city they live in, and certainly there are few who dislike the sports teams from where they live and get on a site that exists primarily to talk sports, and use that city as their name.  It's flat out bizarre.  You're not from God's Country originally, are you?  Just a confused guy, it seems.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback