* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: K-12 Schools & COVID  (Read 126621 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: K-12 School year?
« Reply #600 on: November 12, 2020, 10:56:48 AM »
Wouldn't a proper conclusion be that elearning lead to less people getting infected than not elearning? You figure that if they're at home elearning then it's someone else in the household that brought the virus in and then it wasn't brought to anyone else as opposed to being brought to school where many more people get exposed.
Their contact tracing led to the conclusion that students at school are not getting the virus at school, but rather through other events outside of school, and wearing masks, keeping social distance and washing hands frequently is actually keeping the numbers down. Unless the student is wearing a mask at home, and everyone in that home is wearing a mask, e-learning is not foolproof.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #601 on: November 12, 2020, 10:58:16 AM »
Their contact tracing led to the conclusion that students at school are not getting the virus at school, but rather through other events outside of school, and wearing masks, keeping social distance and washing hands frequently is actually keeping the numbers down. Unless the student is wearing a mask at home, and everyone in that home is wearing a mask, e-learning is not foolproof.

I get it now thanks for elaborating
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #602 on: November 13, 2020, 01:22:53 PM »
Some of Minnesota's largest cities are moving toward all distance learning:

More Minnesota schools halt in-person classes as COVID-19 cases rise

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/11/11/more-minnesota-schools-halt-inperson-classes-as-covid19-cases-rise

For reference, Bloomington and Duluth are MN's 4th and 5th largest cities. I have also heard rumors here in Rochester (3rd largest in MN) that we will move to all distance learning after Thanksgiving.

In follow up...the Rochester Public Schools announced yesterday that we are going from our hybrid model to an all-virtual model for all students through at least January 8.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #603 on: November 13, 2020, 03:53:39 PM »
Majority of central indianapolis schools now at-home till at least mid-January

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #604 on: November 16, 2020, 04:50:07 PM »
Well .. my village's public schools are going back to all virtual.   

They'll look at it in December and again in January.   If I had to bet, we won't go back to hybrid until March.

It's not like the schools were awash in cases .. right now it's at 13 for about 4000 students.  It's a combination of state wide and city numbers that are high.

For everyone (me) who bet on the over/under, it was 10 weeks of hybrid schooling.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #605 on: November 16, 2020, 04:56:44 PM »
Well .. my village's public schools are going back to all virtual.   

They'll look at it in December and again in January.   If I had to bet, we won't go back to hybrid until March.

It's not like the schools were awash in cases .. right now it's at 13 for about 4000 students.  It's a combination of state wide and city numbers that are high.

For everyone (me) who bet on the over/under, it was 10 weeks of hybrid schooling.

I know a school going back to face to face tomorrow...I'll let you know when cartwheels are allowed again, provided your back can handle.

ps...you' still have some in person this week, right?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #606 on: November 16, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
I know a school going back to face to face tomorrow...I'll let you know when cartwheels are allowed again, provided your back can handle.

ps...you' still have some in person this week, right?

(Yes, this week is still hybrid.)

Thing is though .. it's not like the schools are inundated .. it's the critically high cases per 100k in the village that was the deciding factor, in an effort to keep people home, get the area's case load down, bend the curve.

I'll ask the question:  Why isn't your school closing for the same reason? 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #607 on: November 16, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »

Thing is though .. it's not like the schools are inundated .. it's the critically high cases per 100k in the village that was the deciding factor, in an effort to keep people home, get the area's case load down, bend the curve.

Because spread isn’t occurring because of the schools and kids learning in person is better and more equitable?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #608 on: November 16, 2020, 06:41:46 PM »
Because spread isn’t occurring because of the schools and kids learning in person is better and more equitable?

This is a big part.  Beyond that, we had a few students test positive, as well as a sub and a staffer.  They all were isolated incidents.  School was paused and close contacts were quarantined and encouraged to be tested, all negatives so far.  School is re-opening after 4 days of virtual but certain close contacts are being asked to stay out for extra caution.  We have also been in constant contact with the local health department and they have repeatedly said our incidents do not warrant virtual.  They expect to see cases pop up, as long as we follow their prescribed protocols, they're OK.

IMO, kids are safer in school than out of it.  I walk around our neighborhood and kids are hanging out in groups, going to lunch, hanging at friends house etc.  The 8a-3p physical school day doesn't let that happen. 

I wouldn't go to a multi-household Thanksgiving if you paid me, but I do believe schools (done right) are the best place for kids.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #609 on: November 16, 2020, 07:06:34 PM »

Our schools are staying open for now because our administration/board is convinced that Covid is not spread in the schools and they are bound and determined to avoid all virtual no matter what.  But I think the community spread is a big concern and hospitals near us are getting overwhelmed.  And the District Covid dashboard keeps increasing a lot too.  I'm not sure anything will convince the administration to go all virtual - they won't put in gating criteria and I think that's pretty much because any gating criteria says they shoudl be all virtual now.  There are 5 schools in the District right now that are temporarily virtual due to a high number of cases but they are deciding this on a case by case basis for each school with no metrics they've shared with families.  I've become good at looking at the District Dashboard and guessing when schools will switch to virtual though...

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #610 on: November 16, 2020, 08:32:57 PM »
I have a friend who teaches in a Catholic grade school in the northwest suburbs. She is getting ready to go all-virtual after Christmas.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #611 on: November 16, 2020, 09:12:29 PM »
k12 we have had our middle schools go all virtual for 2 weeks in september and now 1 more week.  Our HS has been all in person with the option to go virtual.  Football team has not missed a game and cases have been averaging about 2-3 per week in the HS the past month.  Football team lost 6 starters to contact tracing today.  Girl was in school last monday went home cause family member tested positive.  She then tested positive and then threw a covid party this weekend to celebrate.  Things could could ugly real soon.  The junior class at this school has had almost all the cases and I am not shocked.  The parents and kids would rather be out partying than caring about anyone else. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #612 on: November 17, 2020, 10:40:58 AM »
k12 we have had our middle schools go all virtual for 2 weeks in september and now 1 more week.  Our HS has been all in person with the option to go virtual.  Football team has not missed a game and cases have been averaging about 2-3 per week in the HS the past month.  Football team lost 6 starters to contact tracing today.  Girl was in school last monday went home cause family member tested positive.  She then tested positive and then threw a covid party this weekend to celebrate.  Things could could ugly real soon.  The junior class at this school has had almost all the cases and I am not shocked.  The parents and kids would rather be out partying than caring about anyone else.

Wait wait wait she tested positive then threw a celebration party? I'm all for automatic sentencing these people to community service... unless someone dies then lock their ass up.
Maigh Eo for Sam

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #613 on: November 17, 2020, 11:01:55 AM »
Wait wait wait she tested positive then threw a celebration party? I'm all for automatic sentencing these people to community service... unless someone dies then lock their ass up.
yep and kids were dumb enough to go.  Like i said the junior class in this school is a complete mess.  parents do not care so kids do whatever they want

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #614 on: November 17, 2020, 01:29:59 PM »
 ::) ::)

What community is this if you don't mind my asking?  And if you do, forget I asked.  :)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #615 on: November 17, 2020, 02:06:25 PM »
::) ::)
What community is this if you don't mind my asking?  And if you do, forget I asked.  :)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:47:36 AM by injuryBug »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #616 on: November 18, 2020, 08:17:35 AM »
A private school about 2 miles from my house had to go from all in-person to all-remote after having its second COVID-19 cluster in the last couple of months. The first one also forced the school to go remote for a few weeks.

It's the first school in NC's largest county, private or public, to have two clusters so far this academic year. Public schools have only been back in person since late October.

In this latest cluster, at least 7 cases have been recorded among students "involved in in-person learning,” according to the school. The school believes the initial exposure to the coronavirus was linked to an off-campus sporting event on Oct. 31.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #617 on: November 18, 2020, 09:35:43 AM »

In this latest cluster, at least 7 cases have been recorded among students "involved in in-person learning,” according to the school. The school believes the initial exposure to the coronavirus was linked to an off-campus sporting event on Oct. 31.

100 years for now history books will look at our decision to "teach virtually" as the 2nd biggest crime of the century.  I don't particularly care about my district bc we're a district of means and a near 1:1 laptop to student ratio.  But what is going on at MPS or Racine Unified, etc. is absolutely horrible.  The science shows the spread is not in classroom but teachers' unions are behaving as recklessly as the Tavern League.  It's appalling.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #618 on: November 18, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »
100 years for now history books will look at our decision to "teach virtually" as the 2nd biggest crime of the century.  I don't particularly care about my district bc we're a district of means and a near 1:1 laptop to student ratio.  But what is going on at MPS or Racine Unified, etc. is absolutely horrible.  The science shows the spread is not in classroom but teachers' unions are behaving as recklessly as the Tavern League.  It's appalling.

I don't think you know enough about the  daily lives of teachers in MPS trying to instill just normal rule compliance let alone pandemic rule compliance to make a judgement that they should return to work and get exposed. Yes some communities have proven they can make it work, those communities don't have kids screwing in the halls, fighting every minute, no suspension policies, issues trying to get students to simply not wear hoods or hats let alone masks, and students willing to choke out teachers and get sent right back to class.

MPS is making the right decision. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #619 on: November 18, 2020, 09:44:52 AM »
100 years for now history books will look at our decision to "teach virtually" as the 2nd biggest crime of the century. 

So, which do you consider virtual learning worse than ... 9/11 or Sandy Hook?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #620 on: November 18, 2020, 09:48:03 AM »
I don't think you know enough about the  daily lives of teachers in MPS trying to instill just normal rule compliance let alone pandemic rule compliance to make a judgement that they should return to work and get exposed. Yes some communities have proven they can make it work, those communities don't have kids screwing in the halls, fighting every minute, no suspension policies, issues trying to get students to simply not wear hoods or hats let alone masks, and students willing to choke out teachers and get sent right back to class.

MPS is making the right decision.

I've spoken to enough MPS teachers (and other big public school teahcers / admin) who are heartbroken over what their students are going through at home. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #621 on: November 18, 2020, 09:48:24 AM »
So, which do you consider virtual learning worse than ... 9/11 or Sandy Hook?

Trump

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #622 on: November 18, 2020, 09:49:49 AM »

I'm not going to go full hyperbole here, but I have no doubt that teaching virtually is leaving swaths of kids behind. And the inequities of it are astounding.

I do think that in-person instruction, even if its one or two days a week, provides benefits in a safe environment for students and teachers.  But IMO it seems like a number of districts aren't really trying. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #623 on: November 18, 2020, 09:52:39 AM »
I've spoken to enough MPS teachers (and other big public school teahcers / admin) who are heartbroken over what their students are going through at home.

I have to, I'm literally listening to class being taught in the next room. That being said I stand by my statement that because it is such a disaster at the best of times, it would be a super spreader location and then some in these times. Not to mention the BS admin would pull with teaching sick days for quarantine but that's a non child related topic.

Fun fact though, my fiancé has told me that she feels her top students are doing better because virtually there aren't the ridiculous distractions around them and kids dragging the class down. These kids are actually learning HS algebra not basic arithmetic they have to review in detail every year. Yes there's probably some falling through the cracks but I'd take 10 kids out of 100 learning what they should and being properly educated as opposed to 40 kids learning stuff they should've learned in Grade school and getting their grades padded so the district gets more money.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:56:46 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #624 on: November 18, 2020, 09:58:11 AM »

You assume that the bolded is absolutely horrible. In many of these areas, the educational environment in person is absolutely horrible. It is certainly possible, that the virtual environment, is better for students dedicated to learning, as they may not have to deal with the real fear of being beaten, threatened, etc. in school and can focus on learning instead of distractions from unruly students.

feedback