'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus Climbing The Ladder  (Read 57298 times)

barfolomew

• All American
Re: Markus Climbing The Ladder
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »
    There were some pretty serious scorers in '86-'87, '87-'88 and '88-'89. Those three years account for 10 of the 33 on the list, and they typically played fewer games back then.
    [/list]

Believe 1986 was the first year of the 3 pt line in the NCAA.
    Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MUBBau

• Team Captain
    « Reply #201 on: February 13, 2019, 08:27:34 PM »
    Feb 21, 1999 - Memphis

At the time it was the second highest points scored in a Conference USA game.

Larry Hughes #1?

Warrior Code

• All American
    • Undefeated since 1960
    « Reply #202 on: February 13, 2019, 08:29:26 PM »
      There were some pretty serious scorers in '86-'87, '87-'88 and '88-'89. Those three years account for 10 of the 33 on the list, and they typically played fewer games back then.
      [/list]

I wish I'd have been old enough to see Hersey play.
      Signature:
      Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Lennys Tap

• All American
      « Reply #203 on: February 13, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
      Yup. Thompson was 19 with a year in the system before he scored his first point for Marquette.

DWade was almost 20 with a year in the system before he scored his first point for Marquette. And even with the 3 point line he only ended up with "only" 1281 points.
      « Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:38:31 PM by Lennys Tap »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
      • Meat Eater certified
      « Reply #204 on: February 13, 2019, 09:19:19 PM »
      DWade was almost 20 with a year in the system before he scored his first point for Marquette. And even with the 3 point line he only ended up with "only" 1281 points. So I guess Markus is better than GT and GT is better than Wade. LOL.

Did anyone say Markus was better than Thompson or Wade? I may have missed it.
      TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
      • Hall of Fame Hugger
      « Reply #205 on: February 13, 2019, 09:21:41 PM »
      Wow...the biggest Tom Crean stand of all time.  Take a bow.  You're definitely now invited to all the Crean kids' weddings. 

We get it, George was a PITA to a small, select group of people in the 1212 building.   I just wish TC would have had the balls to fire him from radio and unretire his number when Al was still alive.  But that's not Tommy's style.

Holy smokes.  I said nothing about TC, and certainly nothing negative about GT.  I got to work with GT, admire GT and have nothing against GT at all.   Wow, that’s all I have to say, simply wow.

George never treated me badly ever, TC did.  Yikes.
      "I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
      « Reply #206 on: February 13, 2019, 09:50:40 PM »
      Did anyone say Markus was better than Thompson or Wade? I may have missed it.

I modified my post but my point is WTF difference does it make how old players were when they scored their first point for Marquette? It's a talking point, and IMO a dumb one. When UW fans used to bring up how old Travis was this board used to laugh at them. Now Chico and Brew are basically doing the same thing in reverse. Some people are ready at 17. Some aren't. And some are but didn't get the chance. I didn't know that the younger one is the more their points counted.

Cheeks

• All American
      • Hall of Fame Hugger
      « Reply #207 on: February 13, 2019, 09:55:00 PM »
      I modified my post but my point is WTF difference does it make how old players were when they scored their first point for Marquette? It's a talking point, and IMO a dumb one. When UW fans used to bring up how old Travis was this board used to laugh at them. Now Chico and Brew are basically doing the same thing in reverse. Some people are ready at 17. Some aren't. And some are but didn't get the chance. I didn't know that the younger one is the more their points counted.

The reason I mentioned it is it is pretty rare to have a kid as young as Markus even in college at age 17, yet alone that productive at that age. Phenomenal and rare.  More than a talking point, an accomplishment.  There’s a reason why broadcasters and others point out he is only 19.  He has done things that few people his age at this level have ever done, so it is worth pointing out.

Most freshmen struggle a bit, and they are a year older and a year wiser, more mature body than a 17 year old.  If it wasn’t that big a deal, people wouldn’t be bringing it up.  Takes nothing away from what others have accomplished, it just points out that what MH is doing is even more special than most due to his size and his age.
      « Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:00:21 PM by Cheeks »
      "I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TallTitan34

• All American
      • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
        • Marquette Overload
      « Reply #208 on: February 13, 2019, 10:16:11 PM »
      DWade was almost 20 with a year in the system before he scored his first point for Marquette. And even with the 3 point line he only ended up with "only" 1281 points.

He also only played two years.  He'd likely be the all-time leader had he played three years.

Lennys Tap

• All American
      « Reply #209 on: February 13, 2019, 10:47:52 PM »
      He also only played two years.  He'd likely be the all-time leader had he played three years.

Of course, and that's precisely why this "all time leading scorer" stuff is meaningless to me. Freshman eligibility, many more games per year, shot clock, 3 point line. etc., have made it such. Jerel McNeal was a really good player at MU but he's not even in the team picture when one talks about all time greats. Markus, OTOH, very well might. But his position on "the ladder" won't be the reason.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
      • Meat Eater certified
      « Reply #210 on: February 13, 2019, 11:12:57 PM »

In my experience, most college players improve as they age. To me, I don't think it's unreasonable to posit that Markus would have scored even more points in the same amount of games if he started as a 19 year old freshman, especially one who redshirtted a year and got to learn the system. That's impossible to prove and it certainly doesn't matter. No one is going to put an asterisk in the record book. But at least for me, it makes what Markus has done just a little bit more special. Just like the fact that Thompson put up all those points in only three seasons and a 6'2" PF without 3PT line makes what he did all the more special.
      TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
      • We got this.
      « Reply #211 on: February 13, 2019, 11:22:56 PM »
        Believe 1986 was the first year of the 3 pt line in the NCAA.
      Yes, but if you look at the NCAA records for most three-pointers in a season, most of the best seasons have been 2000 and beyond. And the few players from 1986–89 who are on the 3-pointer list don’t really overlap with the highest scorers. I think the high scorers I listed in bold were mostly just pure scorers.

FWIW, here’s the 3-pointer in a season list:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/fg3-player-season.html[/list]

Cheeks

• All American
      • Hall of Fame Hugger
      « Reply #212 on: February 14, 2019, 09:43:24 AM »
      In my experience, most college players improve as they age. To me, I don't think it's unreasonable to posit that Markus would have scored even more points in the same amount of games if he started as a 19 year old freshman, especially one who redshirtted a year and got to learn the system. That's impossible to prove and it certainly doesn't matter. No one is going to put an asterisk in the record book. But at least for me, it makes what Markus has done just a little bit more special. Just like the fact that Thompson put up all those points in only three seasons and a 6'2" PF without 3PT line makes what he did all the more special.

Exactly

Cheeks

• All American
      • Hall of Fame Hugger
      « Reply #213 on: February 14, 2019, 09:46:06 AM »
        Yes, but if you look at the NCAA records for most three-pointers in a season, most of the best seasons have been 2000 and beyond. And the few players from 1986–89 who are on the 3-pointer list don’t really overlap with the highest scorers. I think the high scorers I listed in bold were mostly just pure scorers.

FWIW, here’s the 3-pointer in a season list:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/leaders/fg3-player-season.html[/list]

Same for NBA, but the reasons are pretty obvious.  Kids weren't taught or encouraged to shoot long bombs prior to the 3 point line. It took a generation of the line to be in place for enough kids to come up through the ranks where this was a practiced and encouraged skill.  It has revolutionized the NBA and actually made it watchable again.  College no different.  Best 3 point seasons naturally come after kids are given the greenlight to practice it, do it at the youth levels, high school and AAU, and then it ends up showcasing itself in college and the NBA.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
        « Reply #214 on: February 14, 2019, 10:49:25 AM »
        When UW fans used to bring up how old Travis was this board used to laugh at them.
        I am guilty of brining up that D'Mitrik Trice is older now as a sophomore for the Bagders than Markus will be when he graduates next year.
        If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
        « Reply #215 on: February 14, 2019, 10:59:55 AM »
          Same for NBA, but the reasons are pretty obvious.  Kids weren't taught or encouraged to shoot long bombs prior to the 3 point line. It took a generation of the line to be in place for enough kids to come up through the ranks where this was a practiced and encouraged skill.  It has revolutionized the NBA and actually made it watchable again.  College no different.  Best 3 point seasons naturally come after kids are given the greenlight to practice it, do it at the youth levels, high school and AAU, and then it ends up showcasing itself in college and the NBA.
        I assistant-coach high-level girls HS basketball. Two players on our team not only have the green light to shoot fast-break 3s but they are encouraged to do so. And we have a couple others who are encouraged to shoot open 3s in our half-court offense. Several of our half-court sets and inbound plays are designed specifically to get open 3s for our shooters.

I think back even 10 years, and certainly 20, and I can just imagine what a high-school coach would say if a kid pulled up on a fast-break and fired up a 22-footer. Let alone a girl!

Not sure if it's made the game better, but it probably hasn't made it worse, and it certainly has made it more interesting. We've had a couple big comebacks this season because we've gotten hot from 3, and we were victimized once because our opponent started making 3s from all over.[/list]
        “It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
        « Reply #216 on: February 20, 2019, 10:13:06 PM »
        Its odd to think about this so early, but Markus will likely start his ascent past some all-time greats on the scoring list in the next few games.

Jerel McNeal - 1,985
        Lazar Hayward - 1,859
        George Thompson - 1,773
        MARKUS 1772 Through Butler
        Dominic James - 1,749
        Butch Lee - 1,735
        Travis Diener - 1,691
        Brian Wardle - 1,690
        Tony Smith - 1,688
        Wesley Matthews - 1,673
        Bo Ellis - 1,663
        Darius Johnson-Odom - 1,649
        Damon Key - 1,647
        Dean Meminger - 1,637
        Trevor Powell - 1,571
        Steve Novak - 1,567
        Don Kojis - 1,504
        Bob Wolf - 1,479
        Roney Eford - 1,471
        Aaron Hutchins - 1,439
        Don Kojis - 1,504
        Bob Wolf - 1,479
        Roney Eford - 1,471
        Aaron Hutchins - 1,439

Release the Pulloons

TallTitan34

• All American
        • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
          • Marquette Overload
        « Reply #217 on: February 20, 2019, 10:25:45 PM »
        Need to pass George Thompson and avoid his curse!  Dom and Travis were both on their way to passing him and both got hurt.
        « Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:12:58 AM by TallTitan34 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
        « Reply #218 on: February 21, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »
        So if we can get a W in the BE tournament and a W in the NCAA to stretch out the season to 9 more games then Markus only needs to average about 25ppg to beat Jerel right?
        Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
        • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
          • Cracked Sidewalks
        « Reply #219 on: February 21, 2019, 08:35:05 AM »
        So if we can get a W in the BE tournament and a W in the NCAA to stretch out the season to 9 more games then Markus only needs to average about 25ppg to beat Jerel right?

214 points to pass Jerel, so 23.8 ppg for 9 games would do it. If we are one and done in both tournaments, he'd need to average 30.6 ppg to pass him.
        This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

HowardsWorld

• All American
        « Reply #220 on: February 21, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
        Hes going to get there this year. He is going to have another 40 point game, wouldn't be surprised if it were this saturday. The way the Hausers have been shooting lately I feel Markus is going to take more shots than normal.

DoctorV

• All American
        « Reply #221 on: February 21, 2019, 09:24:57 AM »
        It would be incredible if he breaks this record in 3 seasons.

Talk about one of the most impressive things we’ve ever seen as MU fans

Galway Eagle

• All American
        « Reply #222 on: February 21, 2019, 09:31:19 AM »

Even if he doesn't set the record he's pretty much guaranteed to beat Lazar by the end of the season which is pretty damn impressive
        Maigh Eo for Sam

1SE

• All American
        « Reply #223 on: February 21, 2019, 09:55:45 AM »

And yet half this board didn't think he should even be in a MU GOAT conversation...
        Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Its DJOver

• All American
        « Reply #224 on: February 21, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »
        And yet half this board didn't think he should even be in a MU GOAT conversation...

Is it half the board? Or is it a vocal half dozen that are still stuck in the 70s?
        I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.