Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: PG Next Year  (Read 4441 times)

1SE

• All American
Re: PG Next Year
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2019, 11:30:15 PM »
In addition to PG, who replaces Matt as 3rd string center. Unless Theo & Ed can stay out of foul trouble, which they rarely did this season, there is a need for another big man.

Ike Eke has the size to fill that role, but he's missed two years after back surgery. If he can't play, what are the options for finding a replacement before next season? JUCO? Grad transfer?

Could envision some lineups where Joey could put in 5 minutes at the 5. (Koby, Markus, Sacar, Sam/BB, Joey). Not ideal, but I think Joey would do as good a job as Heldt is doing (plus could extend the floor - he'd demand attention beyond the arc, whereas Matt's touches out there have his defender sagging halfway to the basket).
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 12:28:51 AM »
If Wojo takes a page out of the Bucks playbook, Joey would work out great in that system. Otherwise wasting that potential lineup.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2019, 12:32:38 AM »
Would be nice to have a few different offensive looks in case we need a change up....

For the life of me I still can't figure out why we didn't see a minute of a Theo (5) Ed (4) lineup. The obvious argument is fouls, but maybe having them both in would protect each other (they wouldn't need to contest as much on D because there is another big there. Seems like it would have been worth a shot in a few games anyway. 
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 12:55:34 AM »
Would be nice to have a few different offensive looks in case we need a change up....

For the life of me I still can't figure out why we didn't see a minute of a Theo (5) Ed (4) lineup. The obvious argument is fouls, but maybe having them both in would protect each other (they wouldn't need to contest as much on D because there is another big there. Seems like it would have been worth a shot in a few games anyway.

This was discussed ad nauseous a few days ago why it is such a bad idea
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2019, 05:53:17 AM »
Having McEwen and Elliott will be a positive if only to share duties with Markus. I feel Howard is a better point than we give him credit for. He seems to turn it over a lot because the ball is always in his hands, but his actual turnover rate this year is lower than any season by Derrick Wilson (whose low turnovers were lauded) or Junior & he's 5th in league play for assist rate.

We gripe because his turnovers stand out as the ball is always in his hands & his propensity to attack downhill increases his turnover numbers through charges. It's an eye test problem. His turnover rate is acceptable, his assist rate is above average, but because he's a high volume point guard that calls his own number often (because he's really good) we overexaggerate the negatives.

I looked at the top-20 players in the country in terms of usage. Howard is 12th in turnover rate, so slightly below average (and better than Ja Morant). I think this is just the price of having a ball dominant point guard with the ability to go for 40+ on any given night.

Disagree how many times does he just lose his dribble off his foot or out of bounds?  How many times does he not pass fake n just throw it into the arms of an opposing defender?.  In general i hear what u are saying but hes still not good.  And looking beyond the turnovers his court vision is horrible.  So many open teammates and he has his head down pounding the dribble trying to free himself. Or they run a set and someone is wide open at the rim n the pass rarely comes.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2019, 09:05:33 AM »
In addition to PG, who replaces Matt as 3rd string center. Unless Theo & Ed can stay out of foul trouble, which they rarely did this season, there is a need for another big man.

Ike Eke has the size to fill that role, but he's missed two years after back surgery. If he can't play, what are the options for finding a replacement before next season? JUCO? Grad transfer?
Joey could give you 5 minutes a game at C, and how often are we going to need more than that?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2019, 09:09:51 AM »

In today's game,  you can only have one guy on the floor whose offensive range doesn't extend beyond 5 feet
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 10:16:57 AM »

Did you see Ed's jumper attempt?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback