Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's your all-time Marquette team?  (Read 22946 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: What's your all-time Marquette team?
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2016, 04:44:25 PM »
Yeah, how could I forget Dominic James?!?!  He belongs on that team for sure!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »
Yeah, how could I forget Dominic James?!?!  He belongs on that team for sure!

Hayward belongs over crowder. I love crowder but nothing like a rim rattling dunk and that's something Hayward could do while crowder's vertical was like half an inch.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »
Hayward belongs over crowder. I love crowder but nothing like a rim rattling dunk and that's something Hayward could do while crowder's vertical was like half an inch.

Crowder was everywhere on the court, falling over himself to get the ball. I loved Wade, but Crowder's 110% effort 110% of the time was the most fun I've ever had watching a Marquette player. Excitement is the epitome of his game.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2016, 06:37:10 PM »
Most exciting players:

1st Team:
Artie Green
Dwyane Wade
Sam Worthen
Terry Reason
George Thompson

2nd Team:
Doc Rivers
Lloyd Walton
Jae Crowder
Mandy Johnson
Joe Nethen

3rd Team:
Earl Tatum
Dean Meminger
Jerel McNeal
Larry McNeill
Michael Wilson
Wesley Matthews (tie)

Joe Nethen? Lol

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2016, 07:34:13 PM »
Joe Nethen? Lol

"All post game" no doubt.

brandx

« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2016, 07:47:23 PM »
Most exciting players:

1st Team:
Artie Green
Dwyane Wade
Sam Worthen
Terry Reason
George Thompson

2nd Team:
Doc Rivers
Lloyd Walton
Jae Crowder
Mandy Johnson
Joe Nethen

3rd Team:
Earl Tatum
Dean Meminger
Jerel McNeal
Larry McNeill
Michael Wilson
Wesley Matthews (tie)

Other than Nethen, my choices would be pretty similar. I'd have Earl and Dean in the top 5, though.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2016, 08:19:05 PM »
Crowder was everywhere on the court, falling over himself to get the ball. I loved Wade, but Crowder's 110% effort 110% of the time was the most fun I've ever had watching a Marquette player. Excitement is the epitome of his game.

And Hayward did the exact same thing only with a severely less intimidating butler and DJO that crowder had
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2016, 09:46:15 PM »
And Hayward did the exact same thing only with a severely less intimidating butler and DJO that crowder had

Hayward was different. A lot more polished and a lot more under control. While there were similarities to their games, Crowder was a lot more aggression and raw energy. Hayward was a great player, but in terms of being exciting to watch, I'd take Crowder every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2016, 09:49:03 PM »
Hayward, one of a few first round draft picks, and not even a third round honorable mention.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2016, 09:50:51 PM »
Crowder was (and is) a much better defender. It's why he's in the NBA and Lazar is auditioning for Ghostbusters III.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2016, 09:51:36 PM »
Crowder was (and is) a much better defender. It's why he's in the NBA and Lazar is auditioning for Ghostbusters III.

Sold.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »
Team Floor Slap
David Cubillan
Coach Wojo

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2016, 07:40:30 AM »
Hayward was different. A lot more polished and a lot more under control. While there were similarities to their games, Crowder was a lot more aggression and raw energy. Hayward was a great player, but in terms of being exciting to watch, I'd take Crowder every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Yes who can forget all the rim rattling bunny hop layups that crowder had, I remember how excited it got sophomore and junior me.

For basketball in general I'll take crowder but in terms of who was more exciting I'd take Hayward. But we're both stubborn so agree to disagree 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2016, 09:00:43 AM »

With exception to that one unpolished, out-of-control error he made (which probably wouldn't have made a difference had he not committed it, but it still would have been nice to have a chance).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2016, 09:22:05 AM »
With exception to that one unpolished, out-of-control error he made (which probably wouldn't have made a difference had he not committed it, but it still would have been nice to have a chance).

That game still pisses me off. Not so much the Zar mistake, but the magical injury/free throw/recovery debacle.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2016, 10:13:30 AM »

I still think he got faked out by DJ coming off the screen. Zar was on the move, preparing to fire it into James coming towards him off the screen but instead of coming toward the ball, DJ faded back towards halfcourt putting DeMarre Carroll in the passing lane.

Approx 0:30...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfwkWbcpJkI
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 10:15:23 AM by MerrittsMustache »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2016, 10:43:14 AM »
Luke, Dream, Wade, Chones & Thompson.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2016, 10:52:02 AM »
Luke, Dream, Wade, Chones & Thompson.

Dean the Dream?
Over the National Player of the Year in 1978?
Over the Most Valuable Player of the 1977 National Championship tournament?
Look, I loved the Dream but no way.

As to Thompson, he was great too. Our first. But I would take Bo Ellis any day of the week over George. And I might take Lackey over him on a good day, too. George was a great Warrior but Bo was our leader in 1977.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2016, 11:06:34 AM »
Best 1 = #14
Best 2 = #15/#3
Best 3 = #31
Best 4 = #20
Best 5 = #22

Hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2016, 11:14:28 AM »
Dean the Dream?
Over the National Player of the Year in 1978?
Over the Most Valuable Player of the 1977 National Championship tournament?
Look, I loved the Dream but no way.

As to Thompson, he was great too. Our first. But I would take Bo Ellis any day of the week over George. And I might take Lackey over him on a good day, too. George was a great Warrior but Bo was our leader in 1977.
I have Dean the Dream on my avatar but I had Butch over him on my ranking. Butch had far better free throw ability and that was the difference in that decision.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:11:14 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2016, 11:43:24 AM »
Doc

Dean was awfully good but I cannot put him ahead of Wade, Butch or Bo. IMO Wade was one of a king and Butch and Bo were as good as college players as you can get. Bo was a stud for two years and Butch had two unreal seasons. Actually funny but I thought Butch would be a bust after the Freshman season. Found his poor shooting and turnovers to be worrisome and he turned into an all great.

The Dream was something else and a great winner and he only makes my second team.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2016, 01:27:47 PM »

Yeah...there was that...  >:(

But you know what I mean, compared to Hayward, Crowder was the proverbial bull in the China shop.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2016, 02:54:28 PM »
Doc

Dean was awfully good but I cannot put him ahead of Wade, Butch or Bo. IMO Wade was one of a king and Butch and Bo were as good as college players as you can get. Bo was a stud for two years and Butch had two unreal seasons. Actually funny but I thought Butch would be a bust after the Freshman season. Found his poor shooting and turnovers to be worrisome and he turned into an all great.

The Dream was something else and a great winner and he only makes my second team.

Might be a bit confusin', but by Best 1 I mean best point guard, Best 2 would be best shootin' guard, etc., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2016, 03:52:01 PM »
Joe Nethen? Lol

Joe Nethen was exciting to watch because you never knew when one of his errant elbows would start a fight in a game.  Talk about a bull in a china shop....

Crowder was far more exciting to watch than Lazar.  Both excellent college players, but Crowder was all grit, hustle and sweat.  Lazar played his game with the cool demeanor; he made the game look easy.  Yeah his dunks were nice and all, but he didn't have the pizzaz in his game.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2016, 07:00:27 PM »
Best 1 = #14
Best 2 = #15/#3
Best 3 = #31
Best 4 = #20
Best 5 = #22

Hey?

Don't think #31 ever really played the 3.  The 3 was manned by Tatum during Bo's first three seasons, and Neary (but really Toone) when Bo was a senior.

If you're going by the positions they played, ya gotta pick either #31 or #20.

That's what makes picking by positions really hard. #15 and #3 were arguably the two best players we ever had, but they both played the 2 (as you noted).  And then of course, you have both Bo and Luke at the 4.  Both tough calls, but I went with Butch and Bo.

Throw away positions, and the best five were probably:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:06:15 PM by GooooMarquette »

feedback