Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's your all-time Marquette team?  (Read 22770 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: What's your all-time Marquette team?
« Reply #150 on: June 15, 2016, 10:30:22 AM »
Doc

I agree Dean was best PG. Think we are in agreement on about 99% of the player reviews over past 40+ seasons. Since I am much younger than you ;D, your memory of pre '70's is better than mine. Feel very fortunate to have seen the greats play in my lifetime. Hope we get to add a couple to the list before go off the air.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
Doc

I agree Dean was best PG. Think we are in agreement on about 99% of the player reviews over past 40+ seasons. Since I am much younger than you ;D, your memory of pre '70's is better than mine. Feel very fortunate to have seen the greats play in my lifetime. Hope we get to add a couple to the list before go off the air.

Goose, you raise an interesting point about better and best point guards -- and guards period. One of the things I wonder about is whether training, coaching and endurance is better today than it was 40 years or more ago. There are some players, like Butch, Dean, Sam, Glenn and DWade, who could play in any era. But, could an Allie McGuire, for example, be the catalyst today he was in the early 1970s? I don't know but I'm curious what the universe thinks.

One of the things that I find interesting is Pete Maravich. He's an all-time great, but his Daddy was head coach at LSU during his tenure. His team was so bad Pistol Pete was the entire offense and he shot 50 to 60 times a game -- or more. Could Maravich have gained the notoriety today with better perimeter defenses, faster guards, and more depth? I seriously doubt it, which is why I tend to think it's tough to compare eras, especially before the late 1960s.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2016, 12:12:04 PM »
Goose, you raise an interesting point about better and best point guards -- and guards period. One of the things I wonder about is whether training, coaching and endurance is better today than it was 40 years or more ago. There are some players, like Butch, Dean, Sam, Glenn and DWade, who could play in any era. But, could an Allie McGuire, for example, be the catalyst today he was in the early 1970s? I don't know but I'm curious what the universe thinks.

One of the things that I find interesting is Pete Maravich. He's an all-time great, but his Daddy was head coach at LSU during his tenure. His team was so bad Pistol Pete was the entire offense and he shot 50 to 60 times a game -- or more. Could Maravich have gained the notoriety today with better perimeter defenses, faster guards, and more depth? I seriously doubt it, which is why I tend to think it's tough to compare eras, especially before the late 1960s.
I saw Pistol Pete torch one of the best NBA Defensive Guards for over 40 points. There is no question he would have been great today. With the rules the way they are now he may even have been better.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2016, 02:40:52 PM »
dgies9156

Very biased here, but Pistol Pete could have played in any era, any style of ball and anyone's Dad as a coach. The Pistol was one of the rare talents the sport has ever seen and IMO he will remain a rare talent 50 years from now.

Now for Allie, again very biased, I think Allie was quite lucky to have played his Dad. I think the world of Allie as a person, glad he played at MU. That said, what he is a person, his off court success trumps his on court prowess by quite a large degree.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2016, 10:36:37 AM »
Geez, Mark, Dean the Dream of the third string of most exciting players? You have to have not seen him.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2016, 11:39:23 AM »
Results updated. Seems like the votes have tailed off — only one Scooper has posted an all-time Marquette team since Saturday. So this might be the final tally, as judged by 29 MU Scoop contributors:

All-Time Marquette, 1st team
G Dwyane Wade (131)
C Jim Chones (128)
F Maurice Lucas (104)
F Bo Ellis (97)
G Butch Lee (90)

All-Time Marquette, 2nd team
G Dean Meminger (81)
G George Thompson (47)
F Jae Crowder (35)
G Doc Rivers (34)
G Earl Tatum (27)

All-Time Marquette, 3rd team
F Don Kojis (26)
G Travis Diener (23)
C Jerome Whitehead (18)
F Steve Novak (16)
F Lazar Hayward (15)

All-Time Marquette, honorable mention
G Jerel McNeal (14)
G Sam Worthen (11)
F Larry McNeil (12)
C Jim McIlvane (10)
F Jimmy Butler (8)
C Robert Jackson (8)
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »
dgies9156

Very biased here, but Pistol Pete could have played in any era, any style of ball and anyone's Dad as a coach. The Pistol was one of the rare talents the sport has ever seen and IMO he will remain a rare talent 50 years from now.

Now for Allie, again very biased, I think Allie was quite lucky to have played his Dad. I think the world of Allie as a person, glad he played at MU. That said, what he is a person, his off court success trumps his on court prowess by quite a large degree.

Goose

Agree on Pistol. One of a kind player.

I recall that when Al was asked why he started Allie he replied that it was because he slept with the kid's mother.

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2016, 03:38:35 PM »
Goose

I recall that when Al was asked why he started Allie he replied that it was because he slept with the kid's mother.

George (Sugar) Frazier once complained to Al:

Why does Allie start and get most of the minutes? I'm as good as he is!

Al replied:

As good won't cut it Suge. Allie's my kid. You want his minutes it's gotta be a knockout!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2016, 05:05:06 PM »
Goose

No chance. He was Allie McGuire good playing in a conference where Allie McGuire good would make you all-conference and, potentially, conference player of the year.

I was never impressed by Maravich, and I saw him a lot, both at Memorial Gym when he played Vanderbilt and on TVS, when LSU was on the SEC Game of the Week. The only year where I was at all impressed by him was in his senior year when LSU recruited Fig Newton and Apple Sanders, both of whom gave LSU an inside presence. Still he was average compared to what we've seen since. He shot a million times and made six.

Oh, and for the record, Marquette played Maravich and LSU on the way to our 1970 NIT Championship. Kicked their Bengal Tiger backsides 101-79. For an Al McGuire team to score 101 points was really something and suggested the opposition stank, or least couldn't pay defense worth a darn.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2016, 05:39:32 PM »
No chance. He was Allie McGuire good playing in a conference where Allie McGuire good would make you all-conference and, potentially, conference player of the year.

I was never impressed by Maravich, and I saw him a lot, both at Memorial Gym when he played Vanderbilt and on TVS, when LSU was on the SEC Game of the Week. The only year where I was at all impressed by him was in his senior year when LSU recruited Fig Newton and Apple Sanders, both of whom gave LSU an inside presence. Still he was average compared to what we've seen since. He shot a million times and made six.

Oh, and for the record, Marquette played Maravich and LSU on the way to our 1970 NIT Championship. Kicked their Bengal Tiger backsides 101-79. For an Al McGuire team to score 101 points was really something and suggested the opposition stank, or least couldn't pay defense worth a darn.
I respect the fact that you saw Pistol Pete play. Yes he played with lousy teams his entire career. However, I completely disagree with  the rest of your analysis. I saw him play many times and was always impressed by what he delivered .

Pistol was not only a great college player but he also was one of the all time greats in the NBA. The guy led the NBA in scoring one year and scored 68 points in a game which at the time was the 3rd most ever in a game and the highest by a guard.

To compare him to Allie McGuire is a disservice to both.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2016, 05:58:35 PM »
BLee
DWade
DKojis
MLucas
JChones
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2016, 07:12:52 PM »

"Playin' defense is like watchin' grass grow." Thank ya, Press Maravich, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »

"Playin' defense is like watchin' grass grow." Thank ya, Press Maravich, ai na?
you'all have trouble not sayin ai na...?    ;)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2016, 07:48:16 PM »
Its a Quon thang, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"