collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: alleged sexual assault investigation of 4 on 1 by public saftey  (Read 103307 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: alleged sexual assault investigation of 4 on 1 by public saftey
« Reply #200 on: March 29, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »
Not sure if anyone else did this or not and I really dont feel like reading 8 pages of this to double check, but I checked the MU teams schedules from that fall to see what other teams would be in town that weekend:

Cross Country: was in New York for BigEast Championships
Men's Golf: they were in California

that leaves the remaining two as possibles and at least were in town that weekend:

Soccer: Had Senior night game @ Valley Fields and won vs. SetonHall in OT
Tennis: They were also in town that weekend, no events near Halloween...

Don't worry, it was basketball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #201 on: March 29, 2011, 05:09:12 PM »
Not sure if anyone else did this or not and I really dont feel like reading 8 pages of this to double check, but I checked the MU teams schedules from that fall to see what other teams would be in town that weekend:

that leaves the remaining two as possibles and at least were in town that weekend:

Tower... I feel your pain.  So many jokes to be made, so not the right time.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

RyanConroy

« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »
Yeah, this involves basketball players. There is no question.

The players that I've heard were involved make absolutely no sense, though. I don't see anything coming from these accusations.

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2011, 05:13:18 PM »
Tower... I feel your pain.  So many jokes to be made, so not the right time.

WTMJ TV Reporting some new information in the 5 PM newscast:
a. "4 SAs touched her and at least one forced her to do sexual acts against her will."
b. "A handful of other young women may have information about what happened in that oncampus apartment and police are working to interview them."
c. "Investigation by Milwaukee police is still in beginning stages."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2011, 05:19:25 PM »
No, it doesn't raise legitimate questions.  If she is in a dorm and walks back the first person she seas is going to be the front desk who will ask her if she is ok.  If that person calls anyone it will be public safety.  
If she gets back to her room then it will be the roommate, who will almost certainly go to the nearest RA.  If that RA calls anyone it will be Public Safety.  If she goes home and decides to call someone on her own it probably would be the police, but she probably doesn't make that call on her own.  That's why most rapes go unreported.  Didn't take Crim 001 at MU?

I think you're misunderstanding what I was trying to get across ... or probably I didn't write it clearly enough.  I'm not suggesting that the fact she didn't take it to cops instead of or before public safety is going to raise questions, but the fact she didn't take it to cops at all.
Believe me, from experience I can tell you any prosecutor is going to look twice - and then a few more times - at an adult's sex assault accusation that's been left unreported to law enforcement authorities for six months. Maybe that's not fair, but it is reality.
Didn't take Crim 001, but I'd venture to guess my knowledge of and professional experience related to the criminal justice system is greater than a very large majority around here.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #205 on: March 29, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
MU did a thorough investigation and found no wrong doing. I would bet anything that MU's liability on this situation makes their investigation to be superior to MPD. School has too much lose and did not take this lightly.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »
MU did a thorough investigation and found no wrong doing. I would bet anything that MU's liability on this situation makes their investigation to be superior to MPD. School has too much lose and did not take this lightly.

Correction: MU did find wrongdoing - sexual harassement.

MPD is investigating whether there was sexual assault that took place.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2011, 05:39:46 PM »
a. "4 SAs touched her and at least one forced her to do sexual acts against her will."
b. "A handful of other young women may have information about what happened in that oncampus apartment and police are working to interview them."

If this came out at the hearing it would have been reported to the police.  I don't think it would be upto the victim to notify them if it was this bad.  Would it?

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #208 on: March 29, 2011, 05:43:31 PM »
If this came out at the hearing it would have been reported to the police.  I don't think it would be upto the victim to notify them if it was this bad.  Would it?

Wouldn't MPD still need to have a complaining witness?

I don't claim to know...my knowledge comes solely from Law and Order: SVU

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #209 on: March 29, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »
I took Crim 001 and I don't know either haha.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2011, 05:53:45 PM »
foreverwarriors---I sure hope MPD find nothing because of MU would have major liability if they botched things. Your post got me worried.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »

According to the University policy it is up to the victim as to whether to go to the police. (see, this thread, apprx. page 3ish).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #212 on: March 29, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »
Wouldn't MPD still need to have a complaining witness?

I don't claim to know...my knowledge comes solely from Law and Order: SVU

Not necessarily. They would, depending on the evidence, ultimately need a statement and cooperation from a victim at some point, but they wouldn't need the victim to make the initial complaint for them to open an investigation.

I know it's a different circumstance, but it's not uncommon these days for cops to make arrests and prosecutors to bring charges in domestic violence cases without the cooperation of a victim. Of course, this requires other witnesses and physical evidence. And I've seen prosecutors take sex abuse cases to trial (and get a conviction) without the cooperation of a complaining witness.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:57:21 PM by Pakuni »

burger

• All American
« Reply #213 on: March 29, 2011, 05:57:08 PM »
Does everyone on this site have to have an "agenda"

This site is an embarrassment to Marquette University.....

I hope when I was this young......I was not so spoiled or immature......
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:58:53 PM by burger »

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #214 on: March 29, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
foreverwarriors---I sure hope MPD find nothing because of MU would have major liability if they botched things. Your post got me worried.

Goose- I'm only basing what I said off of articles I read. per the wisn article from yesterday "WISN 12 News has learned that the four men were found to have violated the university's policy against harassment after being cleared of sexual assault allegations by a campus disciplinary panel."

http://www.wisn.com/news/27345574/detail.html

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #215 on: March 29, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »
My gut (and a couple other things) make me confident that this will be mostly smoke and not a lot of fire. I suppose I could be wrong, but I'll be surprised if this develops into something serious.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »
foreverwarrior---I am highly confident this is smoke only.

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2011, 06:38:01 PM »
Do cross country/soccer/golf/tennis live in humphry? I really have no idea.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2011, 06:48:49 PM »

I have a daughter....don't like what I'm reading.  Never force a chick to do something against her will.  Hopefully it's not true.

Warrior1

• Starter
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »
Ok everyone, let me get a few things straight, not specifically about this incident, but nonetheless important.

Department of Public Safety:
1. I know many of the officers here, some are basketball fans, others are not, but everyone of them takes their job unbelievably seriously. No one here would ever cover something up, and no way would they get the entire department to go along with it. These are good people, and are really good at what they do.

2. DPS has jurisdiction over students enrolled at MU, (the basketball players are obviously). What makes the fact that they are not sworn police is important, but not for the reason most suspect. Marquette is a private university, and thus can act however they want. The officers here do not necessarily have to follow the strict laws governing police actions, most notably with gathering evidence, and entering dorms without a permit, because students pretty much sign their life away when their enroll, and enter the dorms. This often means DPS investigations are much more complete than MPD investigations due to the free reign DPS officers have over students. On top of that, typically DPS officers are going to be handling one big investigation at a time, and especially one like this involving student-athletes. MPD may be handling 50 sexual assaults at one time, who knows.

3. DPS and MPD have a great relationship, and talk to each other. I would be shocked if MPD finds something DPS does not, unless witnesses have since decided to come forward after the amount of time, and refused to talk to DPS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2011, 06:56:48 PM »
Warrior---I agree. MU investigation can go deeper than MPD and they have more to lose. The spokeswoman was extremely confident last evening on news. Everything I heard today makes me 100% believe MU left no stone unturned. In addition, bball players or not MU does not take this lightly. The school has WAY too much to lose. Every school learned from Duke LAX and put the full court press on in it's investigation.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2011, 07:13:54 PM »
My question is if it was that serious why would she DECLINE police assistance right after it happened?  In the channel 12 story on it it says she was OFFERED police assistance in October but DECLINED it then.  So she is the one that has to go to MPD if she wants to report it to them, and they made it easy on her by offering her assistance, yet she didn't want to.  That makes me think it wasn't extremely serious, because if it was I would have to think she would accept the offer for MPD assistance.  I really don't know though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #222 on: March 29, 2011, 07:24:57 PM »
what's the assumption? that from a PR standpoint it looks bad to have athletes represented at an in house MU investigation by the area's most prominent and wealthy defense attorney who also is an MU athletics booster? thats not assumption. thats just how it looks to every non-MU human being on the planet at first glance.

Gerry Boyle has been representing MU athletes for years.  MU has very qualified NCAA compliance officers.  They would not screw up something so basic.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »
Everything I heard today makes me 100% believe MU left no stone unturned. In addition, bball players or not MU does not take this lightly. The school has WAY too much to lose.

It seems to me that bball players have, in the past, violated rules/laws and the university has *not* covered it up. In fact, it seems to me that there were consequences for some in past for violations that were far less serious than an alleged sexual assault. There is NO WAY that MU would cover something like that up. It's out of character for the institution over the past few years to do so.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #224 on: March 29, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »

Why wouldn't you go through the effort of at least checking out that it has been acknowledged here repeatedly that it was basketball players?