collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129024 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5025 on: May 08, 2020, 02:18:42 PM »
The misinformation is bad. But as with any comedian, you aren't going to them for legit news. If CNN or MSNBC etc posted that then I think that'd be really disconcerting
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5026 on: May 08, 2020, 02:34:05 PM »
The misinformation is bad. But as with any comedian, you aren't going to them for legit news. If CNN or MSNBC etc posted that then I think that'd be really disconcerting

Problem is, blue checkmark journalists are sharing it, including Andrea Mitchell and Indianapolis Star.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5027 on: May 08, 2020, 02:40:34 PM »
And your point is?

Latest statistics, but members have already spun it to their whims.  I have relatives that fit these age groups.  My wife and I are in the next group down, but still at risk vs younger people.

Everyone be safe.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5028 on: May 08, 2020, 03:54:07 PM »
Problem is, blue checkmark journalists are sharing it, including Andrea Mitchell and Indianapolis Star.

that is a problem. Those late night shows are great for getting young people interested in the issues but you have to investigate yourself to see if something is legit, overblown, edited, etc.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5030 on: May 08, 2020, 05:19:24 PM »
that is a problem. Those late night shows are great for getting young people interested in the issues but you have to investigate yourself to see if something is legit, overblown, edited, etc.

Agreed. Anyone who uses Kimmel or Colbert for their news is not getting the news.

IMHO, the best way to get free written news without partisan slant is through AP news. It is dead center in the media bias reviews, and gets consistently high scores for factual accuracy.

Other good and consistently neutral options are BBC, Bloomberg, WSJ and PBS. Unfortunately, Bloomberg and WSJ are pretty pricey.

NYT and WaPo are generally great in terms of factual accuracy, but their perspective tends to be a bit slanted.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 05:21:45 PM by GooooMarquette »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5031 on: May 08, 2020, 06:16:10 PM »
Agreed. Anyone who uses Kimmel or Colbert for their news is not getting the news.

IMHO, the best way to get free written news without partisan slant is through AP news. It is dead center in the media bias reviews, and gets consistently high scores for factual accuracy.

Other good and consistently neutral options are BBC, Bloomberg, WSJ and PBS. Unfortunately, Bloomberg and WSJ are pretty pricey.

NYT and WaPo are generally great in terms of factual accuracy, but their perspective tends to be a bit slanted.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 08:55:49 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5032 on: May 08, 2020, 06:22:46 PM »
I’m happy to see what I read is very close to the top.  Except the New York post.  That is just fantastic newsie entertainment. 

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #5033 on: May 08, 2020, 07:56:25 PM »
 :(

BBC and the WSJ are my go to along with CNBC during the day if I'm watching TV.

Jimmy Kimmel has long been a giant tool and the least funny of any of the late night guys(just my opinion).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5034 on: May 08, 2020, 10:39:11 PM »

Andrea Mitchel has as much sundown syndrome as our president.  But are they sharing it as it some sort of fact?  Or because it's funny?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5035 on: May 09, 2020, 07:57:00 AM »
Says something about some posters who  have posted more about a Jimmy Kimmel bit, than barrage of daily lies coming from people in power who actually matter.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5036 on: May 09, 2020, 08:00:48 AM »
ZFB thanks for the chart. My impression is this is pretty well done.

Hopefully I am not agreeing with its results just because all my go tos (incl  my no 1 go to, AP , ) are in good spots.

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5037 on: May 09, 2020, 08:05:06 AM »
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5038 on: May 09, 2020, 08:22:23 AM »
Roy Horn dead at 75 from Covid-19

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/us/roy-horn-of-siegfried-and-roy-dies/index.html

::)  CNN

"Related Article: Mantecore, the white tiger that attacked during Siegfried & Roy show, dies."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5039 on: May 09, 2020, 08:51:27 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5040 on: May 09, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
Says something about some posters who  have posted more about a Jimmy Kimmel bit, than barrage of daily lies coming from people in power who actually matter.

Hardly surprising, given that our emperor regularly repeats the Stalinist rant that "the media is the enemy of the people." Meanwhile, he has told hundreds of lies about this coronavirus alone. That's above and beyond the thousands of other lies he's told over the last 4 years.

But yeah ... Jimmy Kimmel is evil.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5041 on: May 09, 2020, 10:42:24 AM »
Average age of those that have died in the US is 75 per CDC.   Massachusetts the avg age of victims is 82.  Tennessee it is 72.  New York 73.  Not all states are reporting age of the victims in their public data.

Once a person has reached age 75, his/her average life expectancy is another 11 years. Many of those people are very fit, especially for somebody that age. Some are still freakin' working.

My parents were still playing tennis well into their 70s. My father-in-law worked until he was 84, still living by himself at 89, and is still in decent shape at 94.

Obviously, many 75+ are not in good health, but the notion that these folks are "disposable" is sickening.

Not saying you were insinuating that, WD/chicos/hoopaloop.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5042 on: May 09, 2020, 10:43:10 AM »
The good new is that the White House is embracing extensive testing and contact tracing.   OK, only for White House staff, their assistants, and the secret service around them, but you have to start somewhere
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5043 on: May 09, 2020, 10:49:19 AM »
The good new is that the White House is embracing extensive testing and contact tracing.   OK, only for White House staff, their assistants, and the secret service around them, but you have to start somewhere

NBA teams are able to test asymptomatic players and employees so that’s good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #5044 on: May 09, 2020, 11:14:09 AM »
Latest statistics, but members have already spun it to their whims.  I have relatives that fit these age groups.  My wife and I are in the next group down, but still at risk vs younger people.

Everyone be safe.

That's not a point.

It's cool though, we can see your insinuations. It's smart that you use an alias. I wouldn't want to put my name to those opinions either.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5045 on: May 09, 2020, 01:32:30 PM »
Cautionary tales about reopening:

Reopenings bring new cases in S. Korea, virus fears in Italy

https://apnews.com/fce9ea63c7c4199e4ff39ddd54d3944e

South Korea’s capital closed down more than 2,100 bars and other nightspots Saturday because of a new cluster of coronavirus infections, Germany scrambled to contain fresh outbreaks at slaughterhouses, and Italian authorities worried that people were getting too friendly at cocktail hour during the country’s first weekend of eased restrictions.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5046 on: May 09, 2020, 01:59:20 PM »
That's not a point.

It's cool though, we can see your insinuations. It's smart that you use an alias. I wouldn't want to put my name to those opinions either.

I made no insinuation at all nor would I. I’m a pro life Democrat, I value human life.  My position is to protect the fragile parts of society whether that is the unborn or the old and weak, especially with this pandemic where they are more vulnerable than others. 

Not sure why you went there as nothing in any of my messages would ever lead you to that conclusion.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #5047 on: May 09, 2020, 02:05:23 PM »

The problem is people do get their information there, and blue check journalists sharing this legitimizes it.  We cannot make claims that potus says false things and people follow it when others are sharing false information too.

Worse, as Bill Maher said on HBO a few weeks ago, when this happens it gives him power.  It is another example that he goes to his base to show fake news.  There are already too many of those examples, and as Maher said when we provide ammo that justifies his claims all that does is benefit his claims.  The simple answer is to get the news right, don’t selectively edit, be damn sure about what is reported.
— Plato

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5048 on: May 09, 2020, 02:23:15 PM »
That's not a point.

Don't feed the chicos
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5049 on: May 09, 2020, 02:24:29 PM »
The problem is people do get their information there, and blue check journalists sharing this legitimizes it.  We cannot make claims that potus says false things and people follow it when others are sharing false information too.

Worse, as Bill Maher said on HBO a few weeks ago, when this happens it gives him power.  It is another example that he goes to his base to show fake news.  There are already too many of those examples, and as Maher said when we provide ammo that justifies his claims all that does is benefit his claims.  The simple answer is to get the news right, don’t selectively edit, be damn sure about what is reported.

Ah. Hold the media to a standard. But don't worry about the standards of the POTUS.

Beautiful