Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8589175 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 10/1/16
« Reply #4375 on: October 12, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »
If he completely leaves it open, then you're looking at up to 4 newcomers when Anim/Carter/Cheatham/Heldt are seniors.  That's not the worst thing ever.

Sure.  I suppose my ideal is 3 Frosh and a transfer of some sort every year for nice balance.  I wouldn't at all be opposed to Wojo holding this for a grad transfer who can immediately play alongside Matty next year.  Eases the burden on Ike and Theo some to grow at their own pace.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4376 on: October 12, 2016, 09:58:33 AM »
If he completely leaves it open, then you're looking at up to 4 newcomers when Anim/Carter/Cheatham/Heldt are seniors.  That's not the worst thing ever.

One of which is already spoken for with Bailey.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #4377 on: October 12, 2016, 10:15:21 AM »
Just noticed that Forward Deon Franklin was added to the roster in August.  Does anyone know about him?  How tall is he?

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #4378 on: October 12, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »
Just noticed that Forward Deon Franklin was added to the roster in August.  Does anyone know about him?  How tall is he?

He is a walk-on. Listed at 6'5. Transferred from Texas Tech where he was not a part of the basketball program.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #4379 on: October 12, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »
I look at the last scholarship as a spring grad student or juco, why not?  If nothing there, then Bailey, maybe Hauser, a guard, and then Thomas or Thompson
would be a great following year, then the future would be bright.  With Joey and one of the other PF's,  Sam and Cain can play the small forward position.  Cheatham and
Howard as the guards, with John might be pretty good.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4380 on: October 12, 2016, 10:43:25 AM »
One of the interesting issues here is the proverbial chicken little fear every time we don't get someone. Recruiting is fluid and you're betting on at best unstable 17-year-olds to make rationale decisions. I don't get some of the decisions I see but it isn't my life or my perspective that's entering into the equation.

Reality is for every door that closes, another one opens somewhere else. We have a pretty good recruiting class, as is, and I am confident that if Coach Wojo wants something, he's probably going to get it. Eventually.

We're rebuilding and the construction is getting close to the point where we should begin to see some performance. I'm hoping it's this year and I'm hoping we'll get what Coach Wojo wants. Nothing and I mean nothing helps recruiting more than winning. If we win this year, our recruiting will improve still more! 

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #4381 on: October 12, 2016, 10:47:07 AM »
One of the interesting issues here is the proverbial chicken little fear every time we don't get someone. Recruiting is fluid and you're betting on at best unstable 17-year-olds to make rationale decisions. I don't get some of the decisions I see but it isn't my life or my perspective that's entering into the equation.

Reality is for every door that closes, another one opens somewhere else. We have a pretty good recruiting class, as is, and I am confident that if Coach Wojo wants something, he's probably going to get it. Eventually.

We're rebuilding and the construction is getting close to the point where we should begin to see some performance. I'm hoping it's this year and I'm hoping we'll get what Coach Wojo wants. Nothing and I mean nothing helps recruiting more than winning. If we win this year, our recruiting will improve still more!

Winning and the best new Arena in America, will be a big plus to the program.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4382 on: October 12, 2016, 11:13:17 AM »
Winning and the best new Arena in America, will be a big plus to the program.
I have lost track. Are we expecting the new arena to be ready for the 2017/2018 season?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4383 on: October 12, 2016, 11:13:49 AM »
I have lost track. Are we expecting the new arena to be ready for the 2017/2018 season?

No.  2018-19. 

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #4384 on: October 12, 2016, 11:19:05 AM »
No.  2018-19.

25 years ago, who would've thought that the antiquated MECCA would possibly outlive the bright and shiny, state-of-the-art Bradley Center.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #4385 on: October 12, 2016, 11:23:01 AM »
25 years ago, who would've thought that the antiquated MECCA would possibly outlive the bright and shiny, state-of-the-art Bradley Center.

State of the Art Hockey Arena,  basketball wise, the Mecca is much better.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4386 on: October 12, 2016, 11:25:55 AM »
State of the Art Hockey Arena,  basketball wise, the Mecca is much better.

Yeah it was.  Nice and intimate without many bad seats.  But it was just too small.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4387 on: October 12, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
No.  2018-19.
Thank you, I was hoping it was next year, but that did not seem possible.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4388 on: October 12, 2016, 11:28:21 AM »

Here's how I see it. In the group that is this year's Soph class, Wojo simply needed as many high D-1 ballplayers as he could land.  I think many would say he was pretty successful with fully 3 starting as Frosh on a team that went 8-10 in conference.  His next goal in a small class was to add another quality PG and some size and we have Markus and Sam starting school now.  Next he started working on obtaining the necessary beef to compete physically and he's done that pretty successfully with the group that'll sign next month.

Sure there have been misses both at the incoming Frosh level and with transfers but there have also been successes hopefully including the two new transfer players that will be integral to our success this year.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:18:40 PM by jsglow »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4389 on: October 12, 2016, 11:28:59 AM »

True, but we do not even know what has been discussed with coaches and what they have offered. How the visit "really" went and if they can see themselves living in that campus etc., so many factors.
Goal is National Championship

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4390 on: October 13, 2016, 08:37:14 AM »

+1

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4391 on: October 13, 2016, 09:29:37 AM »

I desperately want you to be right, but...this post is mostly just old sayings (doors close, doors open, nothing helps recruiting more than winning) and faith (confidence that whatever Wojo wants, Wojo gets).

This is year 3 of the rebuild. Wojo has 4 RSCI top 100 upperclassmen left over from the previous administration, a top 100 grad transfer and two full classes of his own recruits. Saying we are "getting close to the point where we should begin to see some performance" is setting a ridiculously low bar. This is the year we should see results, at least be team bubble again. I expect we will, but if we falter I'll be officially worried - because if we're bad this year and lose Luke, JJJ and Katin (and maybe Duane) we'll likely be bad again the following year.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #4392 on: October 13, 2016, 10:19:09 AM »
Anybody know who the recruit is on campus today? White kid, brown hair, about 6'4

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4393 on: October 13, 2016, 10:25:37 AM »
I see this as year 2 of the rebuild. Nothing anyone could do about year 1. That season was a going to be bad no matter who the coach was.....especially when he lost almost an entire recruiting class.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4394 on: October 13, 2016, 10:27:27 AM »
Anybody know who the recruit is on campus today? White kid, brown hair, about 6'4

Tim Finke, perhaps?

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #4395 on: October 13, 2016, 10:28:36 AM »

I fit that description.
I will check to see if it is me.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #4396 on: October 13, 2016, 10:29:41 AM »
I fit that description.
I will check to see if it is me.

Nope.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #4397 on: October 13, 2016, 11:39:55 AM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4398 on: October 13, 2016, 11:42:06 AM »

Ners, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #4399 on: October 13, 2016, 12:19:45 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/alex_ante34/

Now to beat a dead horse's younger brother.... Is Alexis, the youngest Antembro, a possible recruit? He's only 16 and will have time to catch up academically. I'm keeping the dream for me and MUFINY alive.

Also, how is it possible that there aren't boxscores and rosters easily available online for HS games? When I was in high school, we kept pretty good stats. How hard is it today with cheap computers to pay a kid 10 bucks to be the official team scorer and upload it the teams site? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot or families just don't care about stats as much as I remember.