[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Illinois  (Read 96782 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Illinois
« Reply #175 on: April 13, 2020, 11:00:03 AM »
The internet is full of lots of reading material.  For those with time in this COVID-19 world are a few.

Can Chicago Brag about the Size of its Polish Population?
https://www.wbez.org/stories/can-chicago-brag-about-the-size-of-its-polish-population/ef8c74cd-8835-4eb7-8e81-11203e78fc2d

List of U.S. cities with large Polish-American populations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_large_Polish-American_populations

Polish USA Hotspots
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Polish1346.gif

Polish American Demographics
http://www.ameredia.com/resources/demographics/polish.html

7 Most Polish Cities Outside of Poland
https://culture.pl/en/article/7-most-polish-cities-outside-of-poland

8 Things You Need to Know About Polish Americans
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/20007/8-things-you-need-know-about-polish-americans
Agree, and what a strange time we live in, discussing the amazingness of a city based on the number of Polish people. (I am 1/4 Polish).

Edit: and reading about Gyros, which were NOT invented in Chicago.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2020, 11:10:53 AM »
Agree, and what a strange time we live in, discussing the amazingness of a city based on the number of Polish people. (I am 1/4 Polish).

Edit: and reading about Gyros, which were NOT invented in Chicago.

Sorry not invented. the Chicagoland area has every major distributor of the meat that restaurants use. Unless you're at a fancy Greek place the gyro meat likely originated here
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:13:05 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2020, 11:30:45 AM »

1/4 for me too lawdog.  Although through osmosis via my wife being an immigrant it feels like much more. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2020, 05:01:15 PM »
Sorry not invented. the Chicagoland area has every major distributor of the meat that restaurants use. Unless you're at a fancy Greek place the gyro meat likely originated here

Gotta be good at something, i guess.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2020, 06:30:46 PM »
All this Polish talk and I missed:

"Smingus Dingus!!!"

💧☄️💧🌊

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2020, 08:00:23 AM »
I remember a co-worker got a ticket in Illinois and could reduce the points (or something) by taking a driving/traffic class in either English, Spanish, sign language, or ... Polish.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2020, 10:59:54 AM »
The first poll worker passed away from the election we held on March 17th. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-politics/poll-worker-at-chicago-voting-site-dies-of-coronavirus-election-officials-say/2255072/

I'm concerned for Wisconsin's next month since they held the election at near-peak infection. They already had one voter pass away that was asymptomatic when he stood in line.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2020, 05:24:26 PM »
Pritzker is cautiously optimistic that we are flattening the curve. The doubling rate is at 8 days, and the rate of hospital and ICU admissions is slowing or holding steady.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2020, 09:57:38 AM »
Pritzker is cautiously optimistic that we are flattening the curve. The doubling rate is at 8 days, and the rate of hospital and ICU admissions is slowing or holding steady.

Really good to hear. This cold snap should help. Judging by the number of people outside the past week, people get overly optimistic about hearing that the curve is flattening and don't realize that this means we're at peak infected.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2020, 10:51:29 AM »
Really good to hear. This cold snap should help. Judging by the number of people outside the past week, people get overly optimistic about hearing that the curve is flattening and don't realize that this means we're at peak infected.

It was all part of the plan.

Have some patience, FFS.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2020, 11:05:18 AM »

mmmmm, Cold Snap

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2020, 12:59:53 PM »
I remember a co-worker got a ticket in Illinois and could reduce the points (or something) by taking a driving/traffic class in either English, Spanish, sign language, or ... Polish.

At the local butcher shop 3 blocks from my house everyone working there speaks Polish - not everyone speaks English. On my walk there I always like to note how it goes from predominantly Spanish signs to Polish in the span of 3 blocks.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »

At the local butcher shop 3 blocks from my house everyone working there speaks Polish - not everyone speaks English. On my walk there I always like to note how it goes from predominantly Spanish signs to Polish in the span of 3 blocks.

Do you live between Belmont Craigin and Portage Park?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Chili

• All American
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2020, 01:45:09 PM »
Do you live between Belmont Craigin and Portage Park?

Nope, live in Avondale. Kurowski Sausage Shop is my local.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2020, 02:35:40 PM »
I was guessing Avondale.
How is Kurowski? My shop where I always got kielbasa for Easter shut down last year.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2020, 03:04:59 PM »
Warning: This has nothing to do with being Polish, just COVID and Illinois.

Yesterday, I went thru the medical entrance of a cannabis dispensary and had my forehead scanned.  I'm not sure if this process is also being performed on the recreational side, but I "felt" more comfortable going in the store knowing temperatures were being taken.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2020, 03:19:00 PM »
Yesterday, I went thru the medical entrance of a cannabis dispensary and had my forehead scanned.  I'm not sure if this process is also being performed on the recreational side, but I "felt" more comfortable going in the store knowing temperatures were being taken.

I'm really OK if this becomes the norm at retail establishments.  Folks that don't like it - can shop somewhere else.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2020, 03:20:26 PM »
I'm really OK if this becomes the norm at retail establishments.  Folks that don't like it - can shop somewhere else.

Would be ideal but doesn't help much in the long run when you have so many asymptomatic cases not to mention the 14 day incubation
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2020, 03:26:25 PM »
Would be ideal but doesn't help much in the long run when you have so many asymptomatic cases not to mention the 14 day incubation

I have to say we need to change our perspective on all of this.  To be successful we are going to have to change our view that 'this is will stop this' and move toward 'does this contribute to improved safety'.

Taking temperatures does.  Wearing masks on top of not allowing the obviously symptomatic in the store does.  hand washing does. etc. etc. 

Nothing is going to stop this thing, we just have to hope we can slow it down with a bunch of things so we can go out into the world again (and so people will be comfortable entering the world again).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2020, 03:27:29 PM »
I have to say we need to change our perspective on all of this.  To be successful we are going to have to change our view that 'this is will stop this' and move toward 'does this contribute to improved safety'.

Taking temperatures does.  Wearing masks on top of not allowing the obviously symptomatic in the store does.  hand washing does. etc. etc. 

Nothing is going to stop this thing, we just have to hope we can slow it down with a bunch of things so we can go out into the world again (and so people will be comfortable entering the world again).

Good point.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2020, 03:36:43 PM »

This is where I'm at too.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2020, 03:56:00 PM »
Warning: This has nothing to do with being Polish, just COVID and Illinois.

I've been wanting to dabble into the local (40 minutes away) dispensary, but the online queue is 100+ from 7am on. Insane.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2020, 05:43:34 PM »
A MMJ card allows me to order online and skip a line.  They would bring it out to my car, but it seemed like more of a hassle than needed.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »
I was guessing Avondale.
How is Kurowski? My shop where I always got kielbasa for Easter shut down last year.

I dig it. People are helpful. Prices are good. Food as outstanding.

There is also Alex Super Deli a block further north on Milwaukee.

http://www.alexdeliwholesale.com/

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2020, 04:48:50 PM »
I've been wanting to dabble into the local (40 minutes away) dispensary, but the online queue is 100+ from 7am on. Insane.

Where TF you live, Iowa?

feedback